• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
There is very little shootbang in this game. And when there is a fight, it's mostly about stealth and like against 5-6 dudes. It's quite sparse. It's mostly just traversal and mini puzzles. It doesn't even have that much scripted 'everything is coming down' set piece beyond the intro. You are in control most of the game. Some people might find it boring because nothing happens if that's how you're measuring. It's a chill game. I liked it for the most part if the story wasn't so bad and Lara wasn't so bland and ridiculous.

This has me very interested. Thank you

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Visuals have always been nice in this franchise since the reboot.

The sound design is the thing that got underrated, it has one of the better Atmos mixes this entire gen. Must better than the ones we got with Gears or Horizon 4.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed it. It had its problems and fair criticisms but how it looked wasn't up for debate with me.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
It is a great game and visuals are top notch. Played it on the "X" and it was just gorgeous. Game got smacked around by some for no reason, but opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Noone... :p
Visuals are not what people complained about this game for the most part. Multiple screenshots threads even had this game during release.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I should get back to this, from what I remembered I dropped because there was a bunch of other things coming out.
And the under water sections freaked me out

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling people forgot about it as soon as they finished it. I know I did.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
The game looked good in its early sections.
but man the game itself was garbage to me. I hated it.

Puffball

Jan 16, 2018
Yeah for some reason people loved to hate on this game even though it was fantastic and one of the best in the series. It's funny, a lot of people complained about the lack of combat in the game but they were the same ones saying the previous two had too much action and was more akin to Uncharted than OG Tomb Raider.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Visually this game was the opposite of Rise to me. In Rise the interiors and tombs look incredible but the forest and open hub areas looked dull. In Shadow the open forest areas looked fantastic but then the interiors looked just okay.

Yeah for some reason people loved to hate on this game even though it was fantastic and one of the best in the series. It's funny, a lot of people complained about the lack of combat in the game but they were the same ones saying the previous two had too much action and was more akin to Uncharted than OG Tomb Raider.

I love it when people who like a game act like it's just hated for no reason when people have clearly articulated their issues many times already.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's the art direction and/or color palette. Image quality is improved, lighting is improved, map size is larger, but it's not as interesting to look at as the reboot or Rise in environment design. Colors feel more muted by comparison as well. There's always been something a bit 'off' with Shadow's presentation.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I tried the demo and couldn't finish it. Looks pretty but the "acting" was really bad.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I think it's the art direction and/or color palette. Image quality is improved, lighting is improved, map size is larger, but it's not as interesting to look at as the reboot or Rise in environment design. Colors feel more muted by comparison as well. There's always been something a bit 'off' with Shadow's presentation.

It lacks a certain polish to it, especially with the animations.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
that entire reboot series has always looked great. too bad the sequels were both just expanded rehashes of the 2013 one, both narratively and mechanically. tr13 rules, it just needed a sequel that wasnt trying to be the same type of game

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
I personally enjoyed it. Not brilliant or anything but it was up there with RDR2 and GOW graphically. Depending on your priorities it was better than those games. Always felt it got the shaft from gamers.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
The real reason why no one told you, is because Square-Enix does their best to try to sabotage their own games. Sept 2018 had BOTH Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Dragon Quest XI, released in back to back weeks, BEHIND the mega-hit Marvel's Spider-man.

Even everyone on this forum was passing on both those games in favour of Spider-man.

It's sort of how like EVERYONE skipped over Rise of the Tomb Raider, because Square-Enix has no brain. A week after Black-Ops 3, on the SAME DAY as Fallout 4, and 1 week before Star Wars: Battlefront, in one of the most packed months of the year for games. And I guess some boycotting due to the Microsoft exclusivity thing that was going on.

Which is a shame since this reboot series deserves a lot more attention instead of calling it an "Uncharted Clone"

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The real reason why no one told you, is because Square-Enix does their best to try to sabotage their own games. Sept 2018 had BOTH Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Dragon Quest XI, released in back to back weeks, BEHIND the mega-hit Marvel's Spider-man.

Even everyone on this forum was passing on both those games in favour of Spider-man.
Yeah that's right, I even think this forum's "Niche-man" meme started in a Spider-man vs Shadow of TTR sales thread.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I loved the hell out of this game. Everything except the gunplay was excellent. The final portions of the game with all the warriors is absolutely incredible. I've never seen anything like it in gaming.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
There is very little shootbang in this game. And when there is a fight, it's mostly about stealth and like against 5-6 dudes. It's quite sparse. It's mostly just traversal and mini puzzles. It doesn't even have that much scripted 'everything is coming down' set piece beyond the intro. You are in control most of the game. Some people might find it boring because nothing happens if that's how you're measuring but it's actually closer to what Tomb Raider was before the reboot than the other two games.. The platforming and puzzles are nothing like those games but still It's a chill game. I liked it for the most part, if the story wasn't so bad and Lara wasn't so bland and ridiculous, it would have been a really great game.

See that sounds awesome to me, and I'm almost dreading the thought of playing Rise first. I kind of bounced off the first game in the reboot series but have recently been interested in jumping back in it again. But combat is what made me kind of bounce off in the first place. It's not bad, it's just, I find the puzzles more interesting.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Game didn't get a fair shake at all. Critics went extra hard on it, and then overrated the fuck out of RDR2 a month later.
336649305886687262.png
RDR2 is a masterpiece, it doesn't matter what a bunch of 30 year old Sony/Nintendo fans in Era think. Anything but Sony/Nintendo exclusive games is called overrated here apparently!

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Shadow looks great, Lara looks better than ever, quite possibly the most beautiful character model ever, and the exploration is fun and relatively varied, story is okay too, and great stealth. I enjoyed it but the insta death Crash Bandicoot segments really hurt the game for me, I hate all that and I don't understand why they're in the game, and the end boss is crap.
Still, 7/10, maybe even 8/10 on a sunny day

Rise is the best new TR imo, at the time of the release it was even on my GOTY list, I 100-percented it and truly enjoyed it, played like God of War or a metroidvania if you like with the hub like levels and gear unlocks. People were far too negative on that one, possibly because of the exclusivity controversy.
Still easily a 9/10 even today.

TR2013 felt too much like Uncharted, still good because it revived Tomb Raider and Lara Croft. The gun play was great and the story was quite okay, at the time it was a solid game but as a whole and when looking back on it I don't think it's worthy of the praise it gets in TR threads here these days.
8/10 on release, 6/10 today.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
But I told you!
Environments are up there with the absolute best looking games this gen and it looks stunning in 4k HDR.
Not sure why it doesn't get mentioned as often as the usual titles.
Game is rather forgettable though and while Lara's model is impressively detailed something about it always looked off. She also looks like she's wearing a wig.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Even in a thread about visuals, people can't help talking about the gameplay.
Stay on topic, people!

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
The whole series has been great. It always looks amazing, and it's always had the same gameplay structure that the God of War reboot went with which people seem to love. Not sure what about it makes people overlook it.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I wrote a topic about this game a while ago in here and it was drowned in negative comments.

It's the best one gameplay-wise from the trilogy.
It changes the biggest criticized aspect of the new trilogy: too much shooting, and adds a lot of exploring.
The sense of isolation was amazing and I actually felt like I was playing Tomb Raider again.
The new elements were great as well.
The DLCs were really well designed.

And yes, the treatment this game got VS some overhyped games a few weeks later was laughable.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People wanted to hate it so bad at launch due to it not being developed by Crystal Dynamics (basically Tomb Raider's rendition or Arkham Origins). It's in no way a worse game than the other two games in the trilogy and it looks pretty damn incredible.

Laziness

Apr 19, 2018
Yes it does! The game looks really nice even on standard ps4, not to mention pro/X or high end PC. Since we've already soaked into overall discussion about whole reboot trilogy I guess it won't be too off topic to add my 5 cents. I've enjoyed all three games a lot. Yes, they all have some flaws, like some shooting sections and story bits being a bit off, but I still had a great time with all three. And the treatment this games got - it's the thing that sucks the most, epesially the Shadow situation. A lot of people simply missed the game, it didn't sell too well and now it just looks like whole TR franchise is going on the shelf for a really long break, atleast in terms of AAA-reboot trilogy style. And that sucks even more. Idk, here just hoping I will see another big TR game next-generation, I don't want to wait like 8 years for SE to decide "yep, time to try to reboot it again, maybe this time it will work".

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Because Rise of the Tomb Raider and Uncharted 4/LL look better and are older games.

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
Best game of the trilogy, it has issues but most come from the fundations set by TR2013. EIDOS Montreal understands better what a TR is and should be than Crystal Dynamics.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I just played the first new Tomb Raider but this looks really gorgeous. I avoided the sequels because of the negativity around them. Are they worth it?

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Visually it's definitely a looker but for some reason I thought the game was filled with closed spaces smaller than any of the last two games.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I recently completed this and as said, visually it's fantastic, except for facial animations. I don't know why but it's like a lot of stuff that is not cutscenes is delivered with a dead pan look on NPCs and Lara. The level design is good and a lot of the tombs are fun to go through. But everything else is pretty terrible:

• They have managed to make a story with a decent recipe incredibly boring. There's just zero charisma to any of the characters.
  • Everything NPCs say is boring to listen. I love the "Lara looking at NPC while backing away from the conversation" animation.
  • Item descriptions are not much more interesting.
  • Upgrading skillls is irrelevant because you have barely any use for them anywhere in the game.
  • Crafting stuff is again pointless because you don't get to use all that stuff.
It seems like a game where they changed direction for the gameplay somewhere along the way with lots of mechanics that demand combat opportunities. If Rise of the Tomb Raider went too crazy with the amount of combat then this went too far in the other direction.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
You mustn't have been paying attention because the graphics have been praised ever since it launched. It was one of the forerunners for the hairworks tech.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Because Rise of the Tomb Raider and Uncharted 4/LL look better and are older games.

Played both games back to back on PC maxed out. Shadow's enviromental detail, vistas, asset density is head and shoulders ahead of Rise. Like, it's not even close. Not to mention that Shadow actually has a good AA solution, something that Rise really struggled with. Without downsampling or SSAA that game was jaggies town.

Lara looks amazing in both games. I've seen some disingenious comparisons with people trying to compare Rise's cutscene model with Shadow's ingame model - but in terms of fair comparisons, it's basically impossible to tell the differences.

I honestly think it boils down to the fact that people just generally prefer Rise's location aesthetics. Shadow is admittedly a little one-note with its jungles. But from purely a technical standpoint, Shadow is ahead.

You mustn't have been paying attention because the graphics have been praised ever since it launched. It was one of the forerunners for the hairworks tech.

Shadow got a lot of flak on this forum from even before it released. There were so many shitshow threads people straight up calling it a PS3 game. It was absolutely ridiculous.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Dare I say that it's because the game was not an exclusive, so there were no platform fanboys to champion it?

Dare I?

Game looks stunning. Certainly the best looking jungle in videogames.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Haven't got to play it yet (only the demo shortly). Friend of mine has it, so I will borrow it soon.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
too bad gameplay is a noticeable step down from the previous 2 games...for me the setting was the main reason, it didn't have the same wow factor and wasn't as fun to traverse through

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I really loved this game, and you're right OP, it can be quite a looker. Especially with its environments. It was my favourite of the reboots, though I do think it's does a few things worse than it's predecessors. The UI, sound effects, some of the feedback in combat. It's strengths however far exceed any of its flaws, and I loved the pacing.

I really enjoyed the DLC too, even if it didn't always fit into the world very organically.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Well shit I heard this wasn't all that good and passed on it but now I'm curious.

I fucking hated the story of Rise so much, is it any better in that regard?
Yes. in my opinion, Eidos Montreal is better than Crystal Dynamics at storytelling.

Give the game a chance, pace is slower but it has a very beautiful, natural world and better exploration.

Oct 25, 2017
Literally everyone thought the game looked amazing. Frame rate on the other hand had some serious issues in certain parts of the game.