• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Next best Superman Villain

• Bizarro

Votes: 19 5.1%
  • Brainiac

Votes: 281 74.7%
  • Mongul

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Metallo

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • Mister Mxyzptlk

Votes: 39 10.4%
  • Parasite

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • Toyman

Votes: 12 3.2%

• Total voters

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
So Superman is weird, right? Easily one of, if not THE most Iconic Superheroes in history, and his arch-nemesis is one of the greatest villains in all of fiction. But then it gets fuzzy. The man with the power of a god is infamously difficult to create adversaries for, and thus we're left with a rouges gallery that is something of a mixed bag. So, out of Supe's list of foes, who do you consider the greatest enemy, apart from Lex himself?

And before you speak his foul name, Darkseid is intentionally not on this list because he is, as far as I'm concerned, not strictly speaking a Superman villain! Am I wrong in this estimation? Probably! But lets allow some of the lesser villains to have their time to shine...

Write-ins are encouraged, by the way, since I didn't have room to include some of Supes more notable B-list enemies. Looking at you, Eradicator-stans....

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Apart from Lex it's Brainiac although I will say Toyman always creeped me out when I was younger

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Toyman has the more interesting plotlines but it's Brainiac. He's who I think of after Lex for a Superman Villain.

OP
OP
RedVejigante

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Naw, man...Supes and Bats are besties...

0OCsWM.jpg

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Doomsday.

As far as I know, there hasn't been an incarnation of the character that was actually good despite being among the most famous because he was in the lame story that was a meaningless publicity stunt killed superman.

Edit: Oh, LEAST lame. To clarify, I think Doomsday is the lamest.

Um, okay, in that case I guess either Darkseid or Brainiac or Mister Mxyzptlk. Darkseid for the scale, Brainiac for the connection to the home world (in certain adaptations, Mxyzptlk for the creativeness it demands of Supes.

OP
OP
RedVejigante

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I literally just finished watching Justice League:Doom where Batman's protocols for "neutralizing" the Justice League are stolen. Batman is more diabolical than Lex could ever hope to be.
Eh, Doom is fine and all, but Batman's brilliant scheme for taking down Superman basically amounts to, "shoot him with Kryptonite". Lex is too good for that.

OP
OP
RedVejigante

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Darkseid

But since you refuse...

Doomsday
I'll always love Doomsday because we ultimately learned that his whole schtick is about evolving in ways that he cant be hurt, so the stupid little bone cages around his eyes are basically his way of saying, "seriously, stop poking me in the eyes, bro".

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I like about Myxyzptlk is that Superman can't punch his way out of that problem. It's always about tricking him somehow.

OP
OP
RedVejigante

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
The thing I like about Myxyzptlk is that Superman can't punch his way out of that problem. It's always about tricking him somehow.
Yes! I was hoping Mxy would be higher in the poll, honestly...not only does his nature demand that Supes find inventive ways to defeat him, but he's just such an iconic, unique character. Love the imp.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! I was hoping Mxy would be higher in the poll, honestly...not only does his nature demand that Supes find inventive ways to defeat him, but he's just such an iconic, unique character. Love the imp.
i would have voted Mxy but he's the least malicious of the bunch. Only a bored and lonely old 5th dimensional imp. it's worse than lame, it's depressing. every time he shows up I just want Superman to give him a hug, maybe take him to the zoo or something.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is DC so the answer is always The Joker... given that is the only vaguely interesting character in their entire universe.

Batman even tries to keep superman away from him in case the joker corrupts him and also to try to keep himself relevant given he has no powers or abilities.

OP
OP
RedVejigante

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
i would have voted Mxy but he's the least malicious of the bunch. Only a bored and lonely old 5th dimensional imp. it's worse than lame, it's depressing. every time he shows up I just want Superman to give him a hug, maybe take him to the zoo or something.
True, especially so after Morrison made him even more tragic and sympathetic with the introduction of Vndyktvx and their whole mythology.

OP
OP
RedVejigante

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I'm always kind of intrigued by Mongul, who is largely a villain that no one really thinks of or gives a shit about, despite the fact that he was part of storyline so iconic that it made its way into the DCAU...

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think of Vandal Savage as a Superman villain for some reason (I guess because of that sick Justice League Unlimited episode where him and a depowered Superman are the only two people left on future Earth).

EDIT:

Last edited:

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason Myxzptlk is not winning is because not enough people know about him. I refuse to believe it's anything other than this.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
The only reason Myxzptlk is not winning is because not enough people know about him. I refuse to believe it's anything other than this.
He's famous enough to be one of the displayed characters on the Superman ride at Six Flags while walking down the line to get to the ride!

I was so happy to see him there. You're right tho, no one knows who he is. His name is a bitch to pronounce too of course lmao

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Brainiac will gets all the votes, but it really is Myxzptlk, because, like lex luthor, is a villain that superman just can't beat with just punching things real hard

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always kind of intrigued by Mongul, who is largely a villain that no one really thinks of or gives a shit about, despite the fact that he was part of storyline so iconic that it made its way into the DCAU...

That's because there isn't much to him? It's not like the reason that storyline is so good is because Mongul is a complex or intriguing character, it's intriguing because the plot device he uses is one that draws introspection for Superman.

But Mongul himself, he's just a by the numbers evil overlord. His lines and delivery in Young Justice are amazing tho.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's Brainiac.

And points for animated Mister Mxyzptlk for being voiced in Superman TAS and Justice League Action by Gilbert Gottfried.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Any villain can be amazing when they're written by Alan Moore, but yeah, I read For the Man Who Has Everything as a kid and it was incredible.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
superman's rogue's gallery is filled with the toughest and smartest guys around lmao , it's top 5 easily
braniac, darkseid, zod, mxy, parasite ,bizarro , metallo, mogul and co

he has an amazing rogue gallery
i'd argue prior to the mcu , darkseid, lexy, braniac and zod were super recognizable apart from a few of batman's and spidey's villains, as well as magneto

cowtools

Jul 20, 2020
Canada
But then it gets fuzzy. The man with the power of a god is infamously difficult to create adversaries for,

I think it may be more effective to frame it as a character who's been published a minimum of twice of month for 80 years can end up doing just about everything.

I mean at this point what comic character doesn't operate on a God Tier level? Cap? Nightwing?

oh but for the pole my vote goes to Terra-Man.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
It's Brainiac. Brainiac is existentially terrifying and goes for the same goal in wildly different ways time and again.