• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you getting the game? First time playing or replaying?

• Yes, but I already beat the game before.

Votes: 463 29.8%
  • Yes, but I didn’t get to finish the game in previous versions.

Votes: 417 26.9%
  • Yes, but this will be my first time experiencing the game.

Votes: 345 22.2%
  • No, I’ve completed the game before. I have no desire to replay it.

Votes: 130 8.4%
  • No, I don’t care to play it at all.

Votes: 197 12.7%

• Total voters

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm on the fence, it's one of my favorite games ever but I love running through it now with New Game+ and having to start over from scratch would be a bummer. I'll have to see how much is added.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I want to say my run through the Wii game took me about 60 hours, so it really depends on its launch window and what surrounds it. Put it out in a window devoid of much of anything else that I want and I could be convinced, otherwise, no sale. Kind of the same reason I'm not interested in trying Dragon Quest XI S. I'm already going to be putting something like 240 hours into Fire Emblem between this year and early next (when I do Golden Deer as a Golden run and try to recruit all possible students).

Oct 25, 2017
I'm selling my 3DS version currently. It's impressive that it runs on such ancient hardware, but I can't really face such poor IQ for a long jrpg after playing it for a little while. Now that there's a definitive version coming I'll just buy that one day when I also get round to buying a Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably won't pick it up at launch. Though I still have very fond memories of my original playthough, I've got way too many games to play still.
When I do pick it up I'll play until I inevitably get stomped into the dirt by Territorial Rotbart and see how I feel about continuing.

Seriously, up yours Territorial Rotbart.

Jojo Sonoshe

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
I didn't like XC2 at all so not even going to bother.
Well I hate XB2, but love XB1. XB1 doesn't have the gotcha blade system. It's just good old leveling up characters that have a specific role. It has a simpler battle system, so it doesn't have XB2's bloat. It doesn't have Mythra or whatever her name is so it's a bit less waifu bait then 2. XB is just a better game though I guess this remake has character designs in line with XB2 so that sucks.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did it on the Wii, twice.

Did it on Dolphin.

Did it on 3DS.

And boy, am I excited to devour this remake with a passion rarely perceived by the human eye!

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Own it on Wii and 3DS. I've probably played like 150 hours total but have never beaten it.

I am definitely getting this and it will be one of my most anticipated games for next year :)

if you are an RPG lover, and have not played this, you owe it to yourself to play it!! XC is one of my favorite games of all time and likely in my top 5.

It gives a sense of wanderlust and a grand adventure in the way that Breath of the Wild did for me. Can't wait !!

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played through a nice chunk of the opening on the 3DS but never got around to finishing it. I'll definitely get it for the Switch just so I can finally experience all of it.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I pre-ordered Xenoblade on the Wii, pre-ordered it for the N3DS (and my N3DS has the monado faceplates on it, alongside the Xenoblade theme), and I'm getting Xenoblade Definitive Edition day 1.

hiryu64

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like XC2 at all so not even going to bother.
Plenty of people who loved XC1 dislike/hate XC2 (I'm one of them). Unless your issues with XC2 were related to combat controls, there's no way to tell whether you'd dislike XC1 without playing it. XC1, XCX, and XC2 are, despite some mechanical similarities, all wildly different experiences.

OT -- Day fucking 1 on this. I legit squealed when I saw the reveal trailer.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I have the 3DS version, thinks it's a miracle port let alone amazing. Will get Switch version and probably beat them both eventually.

Oct 25, 2017
I won't rule it out, but it's unlikely. The game is just too big. I have a good reason to pick it up on Switch, as I never owned XC1 on Wii (I played it on a disc borrowed from a friend shrewd enough to pick it up at launch), but I don't know if I'll ever have the patience to sit through it a second time for another 100 hours. The overworld and main quest are unforgettable, but I always found XC1 bloated with a lot of systems that I couldn't be bothered to pursue exhaustively (Colony 6, the NPC affinity-building, the endgame superbosses that are way above the level at which you complete the main game), and I don't see why that would be any different now. Without that, I've already seen what I want to see, apart from the cut content that is being finished and restored.

The character artwork of the original looked dated from the start and I'm glad to see it, and so much else, receive an overhaul in a remaster made to last. This edition needs to do more than that, though. I don't know if it was addressed on 3DS, but the inventory system in the original was an absolute nightmare—mountains of indistinguishable collectibles and not enough room in your inventory to actually hold them.

Those environments, though... why yes, it's alluring to think about running around in them again in HD.

For a series where I've put in a combined 400 hours or so—making it one of my most-played series this decade—I'm not convinced my admiration of the Xenoblade games is proportionate to the opportunity cost of the time they have vacuumed out of my playing schedule. It would be very nice to have the Switch port of XC1 in my library as something for a rainy day (or to invert metaphors, an intergenerational drought), if I can afford that kind of luxury. But I'd really have to get caught up in the hype to spend another 100 hours on this rather than one of the many, many other replays I could be doing—another route/difficulty in Fire Emblem, Master Mode in BotW, the expansion pass content for XC2 (I've played Torna but not anything else), my barely started run through Okami HD (an excellent port of a game that means a lot more to me, but which I haven't found the time to sit through)... the list goes on and on, even if you're only talking about additional playthroughs of games I've cleared before.

That said, XC1 is wonderfully endearing in ways that paper over its many problems and pockets of nonsensicality. It's the definition of something greater than the sum of its parts (and oh, there are so many parts). Newcomers are in for a treat, and this game really did need a cleaned-up, accessible edition to preserve its legacy.

Oct 29, 2017
I love the orgiinal game but I don't feel like I have the time to really sink as much as I did into my first go-around...

I consider it one of my favourite JRPGs of all time, but not enough to go through it all over again.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would, but he skipped XC2, which is trash.

XC1 is one of the best JRPGs in years, though. No need for XC2 with that in your library.

Nah, XC2 is fantastic as well.

I don't even understand how someone who view XC1 as the best JRPG from that gen can feel such disgust for XC2. They share so much, biggest difference being a more lewd oriented anime direction in the women's designs.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I got the original game on the Wii and bounced off it a bit, but I blame having a small TV for that to a degree, among other things. I got XC2 and beat that, and really liked it. I'll probably get the remake, but I want to see more of it before I come to that decision.

I was actually aware of the twist with XC1 before playing 2, for whatever reason, so I despite not getting too far into XC1, I knew what was going on when I got to the end of XC2 and they showed that flashback with Klaus

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on how much new content there is. I beat it on Wii doing a ton of the sidequests (unlocked all the characters extra skill trees) and played like 30 hours of it on 3ds. Not sure if I want to play it again.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Really enjoyed Xenoblade 2 and I get the impression that a lot of people prefer the first one so I am looking forward to playing it for the first time.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
I got very far and stoped because of some other games that came out. Im going to foolishly try and reload those old saves.
I just cant re-invest that much time from the start. Backlog of games is just too long. I will do the impossible and relearn the whole game. pray for me.

I did complete XC2 and XC1 is easily the better game btw. Its easily one of the great JRPG's. XC2 isnt on that level at all.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to, but I'm not fond of the idea of paying full price for a release like this if the new additions aren't significant.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Started it on my Wii. Traded it in before I got more than 5 hours in.

Started it on my New 3DS. Traded it in again.

Third time's a charm!

Baybob

Oct 4, 2019
I just beat xc2 and torna this year and loved them both, and was looking into playing xc 1 or x. Then the definitive edition got announced, so you can count me in!

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
As my favorite game of all time, I will never say no to the chance of replaying it.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I beat it once before and have no desire to return to it. Xenoblade Chronicles is a very flawed RPG in my eyes with little redeeming value.

That said, I'm all for more RPGs getting touch-ups and re-releases. Hopefully, this inspires even more from other developers.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played it but also have no interest in buying. I've seen enough of the game via let's plays. Would've rather had a new game.

ShinyKyurem

Jul 11, 2019
This will be my first time playing the game, since I couldn't pick up one on Wii because of the low print run here in Europe and I've never had a new 3DS, so what better version than this to experience it.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I can't wait. X was my first Xenoblade game and it became one of my favorite RPGs. I got 1 for the 3DS and while I liked it quite a bit it just felt like a shame to experience the environments in low resolution on a tiny screen. Glad I waited, the Switch version looks awesome from what they've shown so far.

The Switch is amazing for games like this, I thought Xenoblade would be awesome on the 3DS since I could play while my wife was watching TV or while I was commuting via bus, but exploring those huge environments, at least for the first time, is so much better on a TV.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Played about 40 hours of the original. I remember loving it but I start P3 and put it aside. I never went back to it. I'm so glad they are remaking it.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
If it has a collector edition, I'd buy it, otherwise no, since I already played the 3ds version before.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Its my favourite game of all time.
I normally don't play remakes unless its something super old, but will make an exception for my GOAT

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Bought the 3ds because I missed out on the Wii one, and knowing it'll be in XB2's engine and it's got one of my favorite protags in JRPGs makes me super excited and hype to play it.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i rarely ever replay games, but i'm down for going through xenoblade again. really looking forward to the new stuff they're adding too. it's one of the very few games i've sunk over 100 hours into.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a Wii copy "back when" and played it for a bit, but didn't really care enough to play through the whole game. I bought it again for the 3DS because I thought maybe I'd find myself playing it occasionally when I wasn't really doing anything, but found myself never booting it up. I tried again via Dolphin after I learned how to rip my discs on my Wii with homebrew, but didn't stay around too long. Too many new games to play.

I don't actually have a Switch yet, but I'm getting close to getting a copy of DQXI S so I'll be ready when I actually get one.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I bought the JP and EU versions on Wii.
I bought the physical version and the digital version on 3DS.
I bought the VC version on WiiU.

You can be goddamn sure this is a day 0 for me, and I'll probably be getting the JP physical and English digital, or vice versa, depending on who gets the best collector's edition.

Xenoblade is GOAT.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Day one because it's one of the best RPGs and now playable on a HD TV in acceptable resolution and with fully modelled faces. Also it seems to be a competetent Remaster/Remake, they renew most of the assets, if not all.

Bought it on Wii but only played for 10 hours, played through it the first time in 2017 on Wii U.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I've played all three Xenoblade games for a few hours and none of them have clicked at all. I'll be skipping this, it does look beautiful though.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I barely played the Wii version, so my patience has paid off :)