• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fate of physical video games

• I will save them (PS5)

Votes: 256 69.6%
  • I will kill them (PS5 Digital)

Votes: 112 30.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I am really curious about this. I am discs until I am forced to go digital, but I am not an idiot and I see most of my friends are digital only pretty much, they are excited over the discless one.

So, which one?

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I need a 4K UHD BD player, so of course the regular PS5. Who wants Playstation SAD?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
normal PS5

don't wanna screw myself over with those digital prices lol

Oct 29, 2017
I very, very rarely get discs. So likely the digital. But like the Switch and the Switch Lite, what if just that once I wanted a disc (like playing on the TV)? Maybe it's better to get the disc version just to be safe.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I need a 4K UHD BD player, so of course the regular PS5. Who wants Playstation SAD?

Since i'm eventually gonna get both consoles, i wonder if there's ever gonna be an XBOX Series X "All Digital", and if so, if it's gonna be any sleeker.
Because with the Xbox One S All Digital, the design wasn't changed apart from the console losing the disc slot.

So going All Digital for the PS5 while using the Series X as a 4k bluray player feels somewhat reasonable.
Imho, the PS5 Digital Edition looks way better than the regular PS5.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only buy digital games, but I want to keep having the option to buy a disc too. Standard.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Physical. I'd like to use it as a UHD disc player too. And I like collecting physical games because it lets me more easily remember what I have by looking at a shelf nearby than scrolling through a library in some menu.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
Digital if the price point is sexy enough and if there are no other drawbacks to the console (lower specs or sth). I am ready for all digital.

Edit: The poll is loaded btw.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I thought PS4 was the gen I'd go all digital but by the end I've still ended up with a couple of games on disc that were deals too good to pass up. Unless Sony plans on offering some sort of "disc to digital" program for people still buying collector's editions I just can't make the switch. This is coming from someone who still has a Blu-ray drive in their PC tower that gets used once a year or so, so I know I'm in the minority.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Physical unless they do something stupid like $699 for the disc drive version and $499 for the digital only.
But I seriously doubt they'd do that.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
If digital games were priced the same as retail games, I'd seriously consider the digital version.

Instead they are more expensive and you can't sell them. No thanks.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Discs. I can get games cheaper than digital generally and also I need the disc drive for PS4 BC anyway lol

Also, I'll probably sell my 4K Player and use the console instead.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Depends on the price points in my country. If the disc version will be something like $/€100+ more expensive it is an easy choice

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Disc for me. I don't have an ultra 4k player and a bunch of physical PS4 games as well. Next gen will probably be the end of physical for me though. And a whole host of other people I think.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I need to see the cost of each unit and if the digital one has more internal space before I can decide

Probably the disc version as even if it costs a bit more, having the option doesn't hurt

I'm mostly digital now, but tend to get games like CoD cheap in CEX as I only care about the campaign, and CoD games tend to stay expensive on PSN whereas in CEX they're about ÂŁ3 after a few years

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Digital if I ever do buy one.
Everything has to install to the HDD anyway, so the disc drive itself is mostly redundant.

If I ever feel really price-sensitive I can just wait for a sale.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Physical until it's not an option for a number of reasons. It's easy for me to get physical titles, they often drop in price after a couple of months, I can sell them/lend them if I get bored and I can play Blu-Ray/4K discs.

If digital titles were 20-25% cheaper at release then I'd be tempted but it'd have to be something exceptional for me to pick a digital release over a physical copy.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I never want to buy a game disc again in my life. I haven't in 8 years. I'm getting the Digital Edition if it's not compromised in any other way aside from the optical drive.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on whether there are other differences between the consoles, but if it's a choice of the same thing with or without a drive I'm digital.

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
Providing the specs are the same in all other respects, probably the digital version. I've been done with discs for some years now.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not decided yet. If it's just a 20-30€ difference though, I would see no reason to leave an option behind.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I will mostly buy digital but I'm not locking myself into ONLY that. So many disc deals you miss out on, depending on their BC coverage I have A LOT of PS4 discs, etc. etc.

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
I've gone all digital this gen, only put in 2 discs. KZ that came bundled with my launch and Horizon that came bundled with with my Pro. I own 3 4K Blu-Rays (Hunger games trilogy) and have watched them once on my XB1. I actually was saying in the past that I'd probably actually pay more for a disc-less version if it looked better.

So now the time has come to back this up with actions, I'm thinking 95% sure I'll go all digital....

unless they announce disc based backweards compatibility with PS1, PS2 or PS3

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping that it'll be backwards compatible with PS4 discs, so I'd go physical if I were to get one.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I will mostly buy digital but I'm not locking myself into ONLY that. So many disc deals you miss out on, depending on their BC coverage I have A LOT of PS4 discs, etc. etc.

If somehow PS1-3 discs also work (I know they probably won't, but if they do) then the disc version just got a whole lot sexier

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Undecided. Looks vs functionality, not sure yet. Guess I'm leaning more towards the regular edition since some of my PS4 titles are physical and I do want a 4K Blu-ray player.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
Can't think of a single reason to basically give one retailer the monopoly for all games sold on the system, so physical all the way.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
No way I'm buying into Sony's digital ecosystem. You can't even get refunds yet for something you've downloaded and not played.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I'll decide closer to the time, but it'll be decided by whether I feel I want a 4K Blu-ray player. Two years ago I'd have gone for it 100%... now I'm not sure.

I play fewer games for longer and the games I play generally I like to have installed without the need for a disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.