• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Though DQH1 relies way more on these annoying weird tower defense segments. And DQH2 has usually has these big battles that Trinity didn't really have.
I think the moment I realized that the whole game was going to be filled with tower defense was the moment I hit eject. I'm glad that DQH2 dialed that back.

Shugdaddy

Dec 1, 2017
I'll probably pick up samurai warriors 4 empires myself. Something a bit different.

Have been looking at one piece 3 for ages though .....

As mentioned earlier, I really liked the gundam ones. Would love a new entry.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is more ARPG than Musou... but because it's more ARPG it avoids that "enemies are too easy" problem (the battles can get really hectic when lots of sub-bosses and mobs are on the field. The game also has more traditional boss fights that can be challenging). I'd definitely recommend it if only for the main campaign (the proper post-game stuff is way too grindy and annoying)

Dynasty Warriors 9 is gonna depend on your own tastes tbh. Personally, I was able to get a lot of enjoyment out of the combat system and the story while completely ignoring the open world stuff (aside from necessary stuff like upgrading horses and buying specific items and weapons). I can only definitely say "don't play it if you like your Musous to play in a very specific way, with a very specific formula"

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is not a Musou (it just isn't, battles and bosses are handled completely differently, some characters don't have Musou style movesets at all, you also have a hub world + small open world to actually roam and sidequests you can complete) but it's still very fun. In terms of attacks not having enough "Oomph" this is down to levelling up your characters and using the right characters too.

You need to level up because the game basically has two skill trees (normal skill tree and proficiency) and most of the powerful skills are locked behind both, though some characters have their best skills available immediately (like Ruff). And you need to use specific characters because, again, it's not a Musou; some characters (like Torneko) are designed to play support roles. Later in the game, you basically need to have balanced teams of attackers and supports just to keep up.

Most of the best attackers (like Alena and Angelo) join up way, way later, but Desdemona, Ruff, Carver and Terry are your early options (Carver's the best / simplest to use, followed by Ruff, Desdemona and Terry, with the last two really needing to be levelled up to be super effective). The MC's can also be useful attackers, though it depends on what class and weapon you kit them up with (the default Twin Swords, the Short Wand and the Claws are pretty solid though).

Which skill for a Ruff is good from the start?

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Which skill for a Ruff is good from the start?

I just double checked. None of these are his default skills, but Call of the Wild and Flame Breath can be unlocked immediately from his skill tree with enough skill points. IMHO, they're his best skills (though his other skills aren't useless or anything. Except Whistle, that move is useless in offline play)

Call of the Wild is really good for crowd control (it has large range and it also sends trash mobs flying). Cry Wolf > Call of the Wild spam while in High Tension is also pretty good. The only weakness is it costs lots of MP at first, and it won't build up your Tension bar well until you get a level 20ish upgrade.

Flame Breath is the better option for sub-bosses and bosses. It's immediately useful against Trees, as Trees get burnt when struck by Fire attacks (just like how Mechs get immobilized by Lightning attacks,) though the best way to use it is by unloading on stunned bosses and sub-bosses. Here are video examples:

It's best to use it that way, since it's safer and easier than on a moving target, and also because Ruff has a passive upgrade that increases his damage on stunned bosses. He also builds Tension way, way faster with Flame Breath, and the move costs less than Call of the Wild. Only problem is that the range kinda sucks (you need to be point blank to get all of the damage) and again, it's hard to land on non-stunned enemies.

Both moves can be made safer by just dodging in the middle of their animations (you can see this at around 4:02 in the second video). Dodging will cancel the attacks though.

Also just gonna mention now, but it's best to play your offensive characters by spamming skills. You naturally regenerate MP over time anyway, so there's no reason not to (just be careful about using MP for your healer characters)

Also also, Ruff himself is not the best attacker since all his good attacks require MP. He's best used as an extra attacker / someone you switch to occasionally (like when your other attacking characters are out of MP, or when a sub-boss/boss is currently stunned). Carver or Lazarel IMO are much better as main attackers (since they can still do good damage without MP).

Last edited:

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
I'm deciding between Warrior Orochi 3 and Spirit of Sanada. Any input? How is the performance in these titles? Pirate Warriors 3's uneven framerate kinda soured me on the game.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I just double checked. None of these are his default skills, but Call of the Wild and Flame Breath can be unlocked immediately from his skill tree with enough skill points. IMHO, they're his best skills (though his other skills aren't useless or anything. Except Whistle, that move is useless in offline play)

Call of the Wild is really good for crowd control (it has large range and it also sends trash mobs flying). Cry Wolf > Call of the Wild spam while in High Tension is also pretty good. The only weakness is it costs lots of MP at first, and it won't build up your Tension bar well until you get a level 20ish upgrade.

Flame Breath is the better option for sub-bosses and bosses. It's immediately useful against Trees, as Trees get burnt when struck by Fire attacks (just like how Mechs get immobilized by Lightning attacks,) though the best way to use it is by unloading on stunned bosses and sub-bosses. Here are video examples:

It's best to use it that way, since it's safer and easier than on a moving target, and also because Ruff has a passive upgrade that increases his damage on stunned bosses. He also builds Tension way, way faster with Flame Breath, and the move costs less than Call of the Wild. Only problem is that the range kinda sucks (you need to be point blank to get all of the damage) and again, it's hard to land on non-stunned enemies.

Both moves can be made safer by just dodging in the middle of their animations (you can see this at around 4:02 in the second video). Dodging will cancel the attacks though.

Also just gonna mention now, but it's best to play your offensive characters by spamming skills. You naturally regenerate MP over time anyway, so there's no reason not to (just be careful about using MP for your healer characters)

Also also, Ruff himself is not the best attacker since all his good attacks require MP. He's best used as an extra attacker / someone you switch to occasionally (like when your other attacking characters are out of MP, or when a sub-boss/boss is currently stunned). Carver or Lazarel IMO are much better as main attackers (since they can still do good damage without MP).

Thanks for this. Should I be using the characters from the first game too? Like I dunno why they've put them in this game as they have no dialogue or any part in the story. So strange.

What are the best characters to use?

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Samurai Warriors 4 by far. It was the first Musou I played in a long time, and I looooved it. Played some others since then, and while they were good, they were no SW4.

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
I really like Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada. The story is a lot more cohesive than most because it focuses on only a handful of characters by following one family through like 30 years of warfare.

It is more restrictive in character choice in story missions because of this though.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
pure Musou? Samurai Warriors 4-2
if you are into One Piece, Pirate Warriors 3 is good. I am not into One Piece but the game itself is really solid so i would imagine if someone likes these characters he has even more fun with it.

Spirit of Sanada is bloated with boring stuff, the others are really old by now and graphically not so great.

avoid the Berserk one at all costs, awful game.(but the Eclipse mode is cool)

Warriors All Stars is also relatively funny but also not a classic Musou, it is more like a "party mode Musou".

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this. Should I be using the characters from the first game too? Like I dunno why they've put them in this game as they have no dialogue or any part in the story. So strange.

What are the best characters to use?

IIRC, the DQH1 characters were DLC in the Japanese release of DQH2 which is why they don't have any dialogue (the English release used the most up-to-date version of DQH2, which is why they're just there). I don't think they are usable in the main game, but you can use them for the offline dungeons and they're not bad at all. Psaro is easily the best DQH1 character, though the other characters are usable.

I think characters that are good for the main campaign are Jessica, Carver, Alena, Meena and Cesar

Jessica's probably the absolute best character for offline. Her Tag Attack is busted. As long as you have MP, you can keep anything that's not a boss stunned indefinitely (just spam her Tag Attack like crazy to lock enemies down). Kacrackle is a crazy good skill (crazy range, crazy damage, high chance of freezing enemies) and you can charge it safely as long as you use her Tag Attack first. Jessica also has a heal (Hustle Dance), a move that inflicts blindness (Star-something), a reflect-magic move (either get her Mirror passive upgrade or use Wonder Wall). Her whip moveset also isn't half bad (good range, good crowd control, fast speed)

Carver is the best attacker if you're just clearing the main campaign. He has a high strength stat by default (with good tanky defense), and he gets crazier if you upgrade his Strength further, upgrade his Muster Strength, upgrade his Deftness and his ability to Crits. He only needs Knuckle Sandwich Level 2 and Muster Strength to be effective and you can get those almost immediately. Only problem with using Carver is that he's slow, he's very simple (his only gimmick is "charged attacks") and his dodge isn't as generous as other characters. He also eventually gets outgunned by other characters (characters like Terry, Desdemona, Alena and Angelo are better attackers when they're fully levelled) but if you're playing the main campaign, he's still the best option.

Alena is a very late addition to the game that is really, really good for a few late-game bosses. Alena is kinda rubbish for big battles (she has no good crowd clearing moves) but for boss fights she's really good. She's one of the few characters that can parry (others being the MC's with specific classes, Terry and Psaro) except she has the easiest way to do it (if you dodge roll at the right moment, she automatically parries attacks. All the other characters need a perfectly timed guard). With the right upgrades, she builds tension super fast between her repeated parries and quick attacks. She doesn't beat out Carver for raw damage, and she's kinda 1-note, but she's really really good at what she does and I think she is better than Carver when fully levelled

Meena is probably the best support character. She's actually awful to play as (her only MP-less attacks are "throw cards" and "throw cards in the air) but she's a great support character because of her healing ability (remember to unlock that ability first) and because of her card gimmick. Her card gimmick is that she "marks" enemies and once enemies are marked you can cast damaging debuffs and status effects on them with a 100% accuracy rate. You can basically have her healing you most of the time, and then you can occasionally switch to her to lay down debuffs occasionally. She kinda sucks in bossfights since all of her moves are very slow and laggy, and her better debuffs (like poison and blindness) have to be unlocked first, but she's great otherwise.

Cesar is kinda rubbish for bosses, but he is one of the better crowd control characters. His default skills already make him versatile against certain types of enemies (his Fire skill lets him burn Trees, Lightning lets him zap Mechs and Ice lets him randomly freeze enemies), his Glacier Slash is what really makes him good though. You can use Glacier Slash then once his blade his enchanted, you can use his Triangle / Attack 2 button to unleash a flurry of ice slashes. That move alone is what makes him great for crowd control because it has insane range, lots of hits and can randomly freezes enemies. He has other skills like Elementalism (that lets him use multiple enchantment attacks in a row without needing to re-enchant) and Solar Flair (this can only be unlocked through proficiency) but Lightning and Glacier Slash are all you really need him for.

I think only Jessica is really "best" tier, every other character has some blind spot they don't cover. Any of the MC's with Twin Swords is also not bad (I'm only mentioning this because the MC is mandatory). The Twin Swords moveset is pretty decent but if you really want a good class change, I'd also strongly recommend switching the MC's to a Priest and give them a Wand.

The Wand weapon is really good on its own (its jumping attack can block and move enemies), its Tag Attack > Miracle Moon can destroy mobs, and the extra proficiency skills are pretty decent too. Adding the Priest class makes them even better, since Priests get to unlock Multiheal (though you need 20 skill points to unlock it, so you won't be able to actually use it until Level 7 or 8 with Priest).

The other characters aren't bad. Angelo, Desdemona and Terry are pretty great if you unlock all of their skills. I just don't think the rest are as good (Meena makes every other character with debuffs look like chumps), as versatile and you kinda need to work harder to make them more effective (like Terry is a high risk, high reward character, while Maya is a glass cannon and her air shenanigans are super gimmicky). The only bad character IMO is Torneko, but even then you can at least use him as healer.

Last edited:

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Glad to see Pirate Warriors 3 getting so much love. That would be my pick as well.

For a suggestion that strays further away from the standard gameplay formula I'd recommend Attack on Titan 2.

tldr version is that it is janky and repetitive but glorious and unique.
- Character creator for story content
- Minor gear stuff that changes stats.
- Equip skills learned from allies.
- Friendship building with story characters
- Post game content allowing you to break canon and rescue fallen allies.
- Aerial movement and combat.
- Destructible buildings - it is a really small but neat thing seeing Titans crashing through buildings.

At its core the game is pretty basic. Yet it nails the feeling of casual, rhythm grinding through enemies and watching progress bars fill or just relaxing and feeling badass at the same time. Instead of killing thousands of enemies you swing around mostly open maps and hunt down titans. Most are non-threatening but you also mostly die in two hits. Most normal Titans are dumb. Abnormals can be a bit different but even then you can kill most non-boss types before they aggro onto you and start being really aggressive. You can also abuse items an allies if things get tough so ultimately you have way more tools to deal with despite being kind of squishy.

The swinging and combat is unlike anything else I've played. Spiderman is amazing for swinging around but for the most part the combat is a ground game with some jumps and air combo. AoT2 on the other hand has basic, barebones but speedy flying through the stage. It is not a looker here but it still feels pretty good once you get some upgrades, skills and . The main difference though is that AoT2's combat is an air game. The Titan's weakpoints, knees, elbows and nape of the neck are all above ground. There is simply no way to kill anything standing this means that swinging is not just going from fight to fight but to move around enemies, position so that as you reel in you have a good angle and speed to deal damage.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC, the DQH1 characters were DLC in the Japanese release of DQH2 which is why they don't have any dialogue (the English release used the most up-to-date version of DQH2, which is why they're just there). I don't think they are usable in the main game, but you can use them for the offline dungeons and they're not bad at all. Psaro is easily the best DQH1 character, though the other characters are usable.

I think characters that are good for the main campaign are Jessica, Carver, Alena, Meena and Cesar

Jessica's probably the absolute best character for offline. Her Tag Attack is busted. As long as you have MP, you can keep anything that's not a boss stunned indefinitely (just spam her Tag Attack like crazy to lock enemies down). Kacrackle is a crazy good skill (crazy range, crazy damage, high chance of freezing enemies) and you can charge it safely as long as you use her Tag Attack first. Jessica also has a heal (Hustle Dance), a move that inflicts blindness (Star-something), a reflect-magic move (either get her Mirror passive upgrade or use Wonder Wall). Her whip moveset also isn't half bad (good range, good crowd control, fast speed)

Carver is the best attacker if you're just clearing the main campaign. He has a high strength stat by default (with good tanky defense), and he gets crazier if you upgrade his Strength further, upgrade his Muster Strength, upgrade his Deftness and his ability to Crits. He only needs Knuckle Sandwich Level 2 and Muster Strength to be effective and you can get those almost immediately. Only problem with using Carver is that he's slow, he's very simple (his only gimmick is "charged attacks") and his dodge isn't as generous as other characters. He also eventually gets outgunned by other characters (characters like Terry, Desdemona, Alena and Angelo are better attackers when they're fully levelled) but if you're playing the main campaign, he's still the best option.

Alena is a very late addition to the game that is really, really good for a few late-game bosses. Alena is kinda rubbish for big battles (she has no good crowd clearing moves) but for boss fights she's really good. She's one of the few characters that can parry (others being the MC's with specific classes, Terry and Psaro) except she has the easiest way to do it (if you dodge roll at the right moment, she automatically parries attacks. All the other characters need a perfectly timed guard). With the right upgrades, she builds tension super fast between her repeated parries and quick attacks. She doesn't beat out Carver for raw damage, and she's kinda 1-note, but she's really really good at what she does and I think she is better than Carver when fully levelled

Meena is probably the best support character. She's actually awful to play as (her only MP-less attacks are "throw cards" and "throw cards in the air) but she's a great support character because of her healing ability (remember to unlock that ability first) and because of her card gimmick. Her card gimmick is that she "marks" enemies and once enemies are marked you can cast damaging debuffs and status effects on them with a 100% accuracy rate. You can basically have her healing you most of the time, and then you can occasionally switch to her to lay down debuffs occasionally. She kinda sucks in bossfights since all of her moves are very slow and laggy, and her better debuffs (like poison and blindness) have to be unlocked first, but she's great otherwise.

Cesar is kinda rubbish for bosses, but he is one of the better crowd control characters. His default skills already make him versatile against certain types of enemies (his Fire skill lets him burn Trees, Lightning lets him zap Mechs and Ice lets him randomly freeze enemies), his Glacier Slash is what really makes him good though. You can use Glacier Slash then once his blade his enchanted, you can use his Triangle / Attack 2 button to unleash a flurry of ice slashes. That move alone is what makes him great for crowd control because it has insane range, lots of hits and can randomly freezes enemies. He has other skills like Elementalism (that lets him use multiple enchantment attacks in a row without needing to re-enchant) and Solar Flair (this can only be unlocked through proficiency) but Lightning and Glacier Slash are all you really need him for.

I think only Jessica is really "best" tier, every other character has some blind spot they don't cover. Any of the MC's with Twin Swords is also not bad (I'm only mentioning this because the MC is mandatory). The Twin Swords moveset is pretty decent but if you really want a good class change, I'd also strongly recommend switching the MC's to a Priest and give them a Wand.

The Wand weapon is really good on its own (its jumping attack can block and move enemies), its Tag Attack > Miracle Moon can destroy mobs, and the extra proficiency skills are pretty decent too. Adding the Priest class makes them even better, since Priests get to unlock Multiheal (though you need 20 skill points to unlock it, so you won't be able to actually use it until Level 7 or 8 with Priest).

The other characters aren't bad. Angelo, Desdemona and Terry are pretty great if you unlock all of their skills. I just don't think the rest are as good (Meena makes every other character with debuffs look like chumps), as versatile and you kinda need to work harder to make them more effective (like Terry is a high risk, high reward character, while Maya is a glass cannon and her air shenanigans are super gimmicky). The only bad character IMO is Torneko, but even then you can at least use him as healer.

Thank you for these tips. Regarding the characters I probably only wanna stick with 4-5 of them so I don't get overwhelmed with the movesets if I can help it even for the side content so I will follow your suggestions.

Some of the characters seem really useless like Ruff and Torneko who just don't seem fun to use. The slower characters too don't seem very fun.

Regarding the vocations I don't really know why you have so many jobs and how they all work. Like it would take forever to level all these up and you feel weak as hell when you change and have to level it all up again. Is there a faster way later on?

Right now I'm using MC with Twin swords and his twin I've changed her to a mage and they are both level 15 vocation. Can I swap the twin out or do both have to be in the part? I've had them set to these vocations for a while as I wasn't really following any particular builds until reading this. I have had this game on hiatus since it came out and put in 10 hours initially so I'm continuing from there. I just did the prison and castle battles after the illusionary forest.

I will check out the priest class with MC but aren't priests known to be crap damage dealers?

I know the platinum for DQ Heroes 2 is really grindy and takes way longer than the first game. How long though? And is it hard to obtain? I do plan on trying to obtain it as this seems like a great game so far. The story is a bit crap though lol I don't really know what's going on or why they're going to these lands and meeting these characters. Does it get better? Like I really have no idea why I'm going to any area really I'm just following the objective markers and having fun with the combat, sidequests and item crafting (which is also another thing that I have no idea what I'm doing as crafting options seem very limited). The dialogue is so dull and hard to make sense of too what the characters actually wanna do next and why.

Anyway I decided I'm going to play DQ Heroes 2 out of all the suggestions (being a massive fan of DQ and platinuming the first one and more recently, DQXI) and also playing Berserk as it's different enough from DQ Heroes and more like DW and I'm enjoying that too from the 8 or so hours I've put into it.

After these two I'll move onto One Piece 3 and Warriors Orochi 4/Sam Warr 4 I think. Then all the rest. I briefly tried Warriors All Stars and I really didn't like how choppy the framerate was it just felt unresponsive and not smooth as it's locked to 30fps. Kinda put me off it. In comparison DQ Heroes 2 is definitely one of the better looking Musou games as it's locked at 60fps if you set the game to1080p with PS4 Pro and looks fantastic with all the creature designs.

Last edited:

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for these tips. Regarding the characters I probably only wanna stick with 4-5 of them so I don't get overwhelmed with the movesets if I can help it even for the side content so I will follow your suggestions.

Some of the characters seem really useless like Ruff and Torneko who just don't seem fun to use. The slower characters too don't seem very fun.

Regarding the vocations I don't really know why you have so many jobs and how they all work. Like it would take forever to level all these up and you feel weak as hell when you change and have to level it all up again. Is there a faster way later on?

Right now I'm using MC with Twin swords and his twin I've changed her to a mage and they are both level 15 vocation. Can I swap the twin out or do both have to be in the part? I've had them set to these vocations for a while as I wasn't really following any particular builds until reading this. I have had this game on hiatus since it came out and put in 10 hours initially so I'm continuing from there. I just did the prison and castle battles after the illusionary forest.

I will check out the priest class with MC but aren't priests known to be crap damage dealers?

I know the platinum for DQ Heroes 2 is really grindy and takes way longer than the first game. How long though? And is it hard to obtain? I do plan on trying to obtain it as this seems like a great game so far. The story is a bit crap though lol I don't really know what's going on or why they're going to these lands and meeting these characters. Does it get better? Like I really have no idea why I'm going to any area really I'm just following the objective markers and having fun with the combat, sidequests and item crafting (which is also another thing that I have no idea what I'm doing as crafting options seem very limited). The dialogue is so dull and hard to make sense of too what the characters actually wanna do next and why.

Not sure about the platinum. I haven't done it myself since I heard it wasn't worth it (I think it was basically more time-consuming and annoying than it is genuinely difficult though). The story is okay, I enjoyed it on the first run but I've ignored it on all other playthroughs.

On characters:
Ruff has his uses, but I definitely think he's not as solid as other characters. Torneko flat out sucks, yeah. Also I definitely think you can get away with just running 4-5 characters. As long as you have a party set up of like, " healer, healer, attacker, attacker " you can survive most encounters. From your progress, I'd just recommend running MC with Twin Swords, Cesar, Meena and another healer (I'd have said Twin Swords + Carver but since you don't like slow characters, you can run Cesar instead). If you don't like Torneko as healer, I'd recommend grinding MC-Priest because the next unlocked characters (which includes a healer) are still a ways off.

Also a few sidequest force you to use specific characters, but usually only 1 or 2 characters. Just a heads up.

On vocations:
vocations let you power up your main characters (and also mess around with other weapons). Each vocation has like "universal upgrades" (not sure of the proper name) and these upgrades are permanent / carry over to all classes. So you benefit from grinding out the extra classes even if you can't use all skills at the same time. You'll at least want to get every class up to Level 20 (FYI, there are two extra classes you'll unlock when the default classes are up to Level 20, and you'll need those up to Level 20 to get the trophy. The process is a bit confusing, which is why I'd recommend looking up a proper guide for the class stuff)

I would also recommend holding off on levelling all the classes and getting high proficiency until later on. You'll get better places to farm later (though you'd need to look them up). And yes, you can give each MC a different vocation.

And on Priests;
Priest-Wand is definitely good, mostly because it's taking the Wand moveset and adding healing to it. The Wand is a surprisingly solid weapon because of its Tag Attack > Miracle Moon combo (the wand also gets extra utility on any stage with ring outs because of Maelstrom and its jumping attack, which shoves enemies backwards and also blocks them off). That combo isn't a free kill or anything but doing it on stunned / immobile / slow enemies will definitely make a dent (especially if you set it up, then switch to a stronger character).

Anyway, I think Priest is supposed to not have good damage... but Priest-Wand doesn't seem balanced like that at all (and it probably turned out like that because it's just a retooled version of Nera's moveset in DQH1).

(Also I think as long as you have Multiheal unlocked, you can probably run around with an underlevelled Priest... just don't switch to them. Unless there are way too many enemies on screen, your AI party members are usually good at staying out of trouble and even seem to take less damage from enemies than if you were controlling them)

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017

When you say spam Jessica's tag attack what does that mean exactly? Whenever I do that it just swaps characters randomly and attacks after swapping. Doesn't see, anything special. I don't get what you mean?

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
Got Samurai Warriors 4 on Friday and already put 10 hours into it. Hyper attacks are like the best thing to ever grace the musou genre.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
When you say spam Jessica's tag attack what does that mean exactly? Whenever I do that it just swaps characters randomly and attacks after swapping. Doesn't see, anything special. I don't get what you mean?

I had forgotten the proper name when I posted that but I'm talking about "Tag Trick" attacks. You use it by holding down the Skill Circle and then pressing the Character Switch button. When that happens, you will use a special Tag In Attack as you Tag into the next character. So long as the character you are tagging FROM has MP, you can use Tag Tricks.

Every character has a Tag In Attack / Tag Trick, Jessica's one is just really good because it's Sexy Beam without any startup frames. Once her Tag Trick is active, you can charge up Kacrackle for free. You could also just spam her Tag In Attack over and over to continuously stun enemies (it works on anything except for bosses and some post game sub-bosses)

There are all sorts of Tag Tricks to use though. Some characters get buffs off Tag Trick (Terry, Maya, Carver, Lazarel / Twin Swords moveset) while others have special attacks (Kiryl's puts down a heal field, Alena gets a free Knuckle Sandwich charge, the Wand moveset will put down Maelstrom + Orbs etc)

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I had forgotten the proper name when I posted that but I'm talking about "Tag Trick" attacks. You use it by holding down the Skill Circle and then pressing the Character Switch button. When that happens, you will use a special Tag In Attack as you Tag into the next character. So long as the character you are tagging FROM has MP, you can use Tag Tricks.

Every character has a Tag In Attack / Tag Trick, Jessica's one is just really good because it's Sexy Beam without any startup frames. Once her Tag Trick is active, you can charge up Kacrackle for free. You could also just spam her Tag In Attack over and over to continuously stun enemies (it works on anything except for bosses and some post game sub-bosses)

There are all sorts of Tag Tricks to use though. Some characters get buffs off Tag Trick (Terry, Maya, Carver, Lazarel / Twin Swords moveset) while others have special attacks (Kiryl's puts down a heal field, Alena gets a free Knuckle Sandwich charge, the Wand moveset will put down Maelstrom + Orbs etc)
Sounds useful but still not sure how to use it when it comes to spamming. Do I already have to be using Jessica to do her tag trick? Or using the character that will switch into her with the tag trick?

What determines who I Switch to from which character? Not really sure why it's different sometimes and never from hero > jessica.

Also about switching you can't spam the tag attack because once you do the attack you have to switch through all the characters again to the one that will tag attack into Jessica again?...doesn't that get....annoying? It's not as if I can spam the attack straight away ?

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds useful but still not sure how to use it when it comes to spamming. Do I already have to be using Jessica to do her tag trick? Or using the character that will switch into her with the tag trick?

What determines who I Switch to from which character? Not really sure why it's different sometimes and never from hero > jessica.

Also about switching you can't spam the tag attack because once you do the attack you have to switch through all the characters again to the one that will tag attack into Jessica again?...doesn't that get....annoying? It's not as if I can spam the attack straight away ?

You have to tag into the character to use their Tag Trick. So you always need to be using the character *before* them to use their Tag Trick. Tag Tricks are just meant to be a special Tag In, though some characters have really good Tag Tricks (e.g. the Twin Swords Tag Trick gives the Twin Swords moveset a temporary buff that will freeze enemies).

You can't manually choose which character to switch to, you can only switch in one order.

DQH2_02-29-16_005.jpg

When you talk to this Lady at the Inn, and you're picking members for your party, you're already deciding the tag / switch order. It goes left to right in that menu, and it's always bottom to top during gameplay / battles. It's functionally something like this at the start of battle:

4 (previous character) <- - - (Tags / Tag Tricks into Character 1)
3 (other character)
2 (next character)
1 (currently using)

If Jessica is in position 1, then 4 will tag trick into her, if she's 4 then 3 etc. It is definitely annoying mostly if you want to spam Tag Tricks. Even if you're used to it bc of muscle memory, the order can get messed up when characters die.

You don't *have* to play Jessica that way though. You can just occasionally tag into Jessica via Tag Trick > Crack / Kacrack / Kacrackle during really crowded battles tbh.

Spamming Jessica's Tag Trick is only necessary if you're, like, speedrunning the game (since in those runs, you're always underlevelled). You don't have to use it at all during normal play, in fact, I didn't know the mechanic existed until the 3rd / 4th playthrough. (Also the move is spammable if you're fast enough, but don't worry about using it that way).

EDIT: Here's a video showing off all the Tag Attacks / Tag Tricks that I forgot I made.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
You have to tag into the character to use their Tag Trick. So you always need to be using the character *before* them to use their Tag Trick. Tag Tricks are just meant to be a special Tag In, though some characters have really good Tag Tricks (e.g. the Twin Swords Tag Trick gives the Twin Swords moveset a temporary buff that will freeze enemies).

You can't manually choose which character to switch to, you can only switch in one order.

DQH2_02-29-16_005.jpg

When you talk to this Lady at the Inn, and you're picking members for your party, you're already deciding the tag / switch order. It goes left to right in that menu, and it's always bottom to top during gameplay / battles. It's functionally something like this at the start of battle:

4 (previous character) <- - - (Tags / Tag Tricks into Character 1)
3 (other character)
2 (next character)
1 (currently using)

If Jessica is in position 1, then 4 will tag trick into her, if she's 4 then 3 etc. It is definitely annoying mostly if you want to spam Tag Tricks. Even if you're used to it bc of muscle memory, the order can get messed up when characters die.

You don't *have* to play Jessica that way though. You can just occasionally tag into Jessica via Tag Trick > Crack / Kacrack / Kacrackle during really crowded battles tbh.

Spamming Jessica's Tag Trick is only necessary if you're, like, speedrunning the game (since in those runs, you're always underlevelled). You don't have to use it at all during normal play, in fact, I didn't know the mechanic existed until the 3rd / 4th playthrough. (Also the move is spammable if you're fast enough, but don't worry about using it that way).

EDIT: Here's a video showing off all the Tag Attacks / Tag Tricks that I forgot I made.
Thanks. I think I get it now. When I charged up her kerackle after she did her tag heart debuff, I still seemed to use MP so when you say it's free what does that mean?

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
I looked up DW8 on my PS Store and apparently it hasn't dropped in price or gone on sale once since it was released? WTF

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I think I get it now. When I charged up her kerackle after she did her tag heart debuff, I still seemed to use MP so when you say it's free what does that mean?

Oops, I meant "safe". Jessica can pretty safely charge up to Kercrackle after her Tag Trick.

Also I'm just gonna quickly explain Alena's Tag Trick (since I mentioned it but forgot to show it in the video). Alena's TT basically leaves her with an orange glow. If you press the Triangle / Attack 2 button, she'll unleash a fully charged Knuckle Sandwich attack. It's a "free charge" since Alena normally has to charge up the attack and then unload it. She can only store KS's with her TT or with a later upgrade (that allows her to do it by evading)

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Oops, I meant "safe". Jessica can pretty safely charge up to Kercrackle after her Tag Trick.

Also I'm just gonna quickly explain Alena's Tag Trick (since I mentioned it but forgot to show it in the video). Alena's TT basically leaves her with an orange glow. If you press the Triangle / Attack 2 button, she'll unleash a fully charged Knuckle Sandwich attack. It's a "free charge" since Alena normally has to charge up the attack and then unload it. She can only store KS's with her TT or with a later upgrade (that allows her to do it by evading)
When do I get her third charge spell kercrackle? I only seem to have two charges for her ice attack?

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I looked up DW8 on my PS Store and apparently it hasn't dropped in price or gone on sale once since it was released? WTF

Tecmo Koei swears these games were Mario.

Hell even Mario has had more sales then these by now. It's a big reason why I have not jumped on these on PS4 more, if I owned them before. Best to find them used of you are not digital only... (like me :( )

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to piggyback this thread and ask the same question but for the Pro, X and Switch. The last Musou game I played was the Samurai Warriors. Extra points for anything that has solid local MP.

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
I'd like to piggyback this thread and ask the same question but for the Pro, X and Switch. The last Musou game I played was the Samurai Warriors. Extra points for anything that has solid local MP.
Samurai Warriors 4 is my personal favorite so far. Rock solid framerate and a ton of fun to play thanks to hyper attacks and dashes. Spirit of Sanada is an interesting twist on the formula but the stuff in between battles can get infuriatingly boring. Like it almost turns into a VN at some points. Physical versions of the SW4 titles are cheap as hell too, I got SW4 and Empires for less than 10€ each.
Hyrule Warriors is great too, with a fun campaign, but its Adventure mode (the main way to unlock characters and weapons) is just too tedious for me and the stages themselves aren't particularly fun either.

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

Hyrule Warriors was a good one. I don't even like Zelda but found some enjoyment with it. Like others said the Adventure mode is a bit tedious for unlocks and extras but it really is a load of content. Dynasty warriors 8 on PS4 is another recommend, lots of unlockables but its expensive for a game that was a launch title.

If you like Dragon Quest their Warriors game is a bit different but would be a nice romp. One Piece Warriors is also good for those fans. I personally could never get into it really, mostly because I just had no freaking clue who the characters were really. And some of the mechanics in it were a bit obscure for leveling up imo. (nothing a quick google would not have fixed but eh)

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Do you really have to go through the game twice for the platinum?

Not sure if I will try and got for it if that's the case.

I don't know if NG+ is required for the Platinum. And NG+ / Flying Start is easy bc all your levels + items carry over (so you basically get to do the campaign again, but over-levelled).

But even if it is, I would strongly recommend not going for the Platinum anyway. I actually decided to have a crack at the Platinum some weeks ago and it's just not worth it. My NG+ save went from 50 hours (40 hours of run 1, 10 hours of run 2) to 100+ hours. And most of those hours was spent grinding for specific achievements like proficiency, money (to get items / weapons) etc. though the monster-specific achievements are the biggest time killers IMO. And they're big time wasters because of the crappy, 100% random spawn system for the game's open world.

To illustrate how random it is, I was grinding this one monster for one item for 2-3 hours, finally got it, then I quit. Then I reloaded, realized I had forgotten to save, went to grind... and the first one I killed dropped the thing I needed straight away. And there's no consistency with this, I've heard some players get specific drops for specific monsters easily, others it takes forever to do. And this isn't the only rare element you'll grind monsters for (there's also "Wanted" versions of Monsters, and Monster Medals too)

It's not hard, but it's sooo mindless and grindy and not worth it at all IMO. If you're done with the main campaign and sidequests I'd say just move on. NG+ is fun and easy but not necessary (putting aside whether it's necessary for the Plat, you can pick a different hero at the start, but it only changes the opening cutscene). And DQH2's postgame is pretty barebones and grindy. The only "new" content is with the offline dungeons, but those don't count for the achievements and you'll still have to grind levels to be able to attempt them.

Oh yeah, Dynasty Warriors 9 has very 'special' voice acting

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dynasty Warriors 8 extreme legends but I' m biased, I love the setting and the mix of tactical objectives and musou gameplay of the series. Still, the sheer volume of content is insane.

I hope we will get that Samurai Warriors 4 DX edition too...

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
I'm enjoying Spirit of Sanada quite a bit. I like the story focused nature of it. I hope they use this formula with a different family in the future.