• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yes please more middle aged dad bod and chubby characters in shooters!
kane-and-lynch1_1698574c.jpg

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"Realism." K.

Fact is, the majority of physical feats combined with the stamina required by video game characters would probably kill most humans anyway, even if they are Olympic levels of fit. Unless there's effective meters relegating these things (and they're never going to be fairly accurate, because that would be horrible to play), general exhaustion, DOMS, lactic acid build-up, sleepiness, and whatever the fuck else limits real people when we're exercising just doesn't exist in video games. Can play an open-world game for hours where your character is running, jumping, climbing, swimming, horseback riding, and engaging in multiple life-or-death fights in succession and your character comes out of it all like they've taken a walk to their mailbox. When you reach this point of physical absurdity, it doesn't matter what the body shape looks like anymore. The rigors of open-world, action, fighting, and shooting games are beyond human capability. So really, the reason that character design in video games is as it is is because of a general lack of creativity.
It simply makes the suspension disbelief smaller. It of course depends on the tone of the game. Last Of Us 2 would simply feel off if Ellie or Abby weren't fit looking. It would be inconsistent with the rest of the game. Same if they were sexualized super models.
Something like Warcraft then goes for a completely different tone that doesn't require much authenticity so pretty much anything goes.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Declaring a fat character doing parkour would "take you out of the game", lmao.

Not just "doing parkour", but specifically the Assassin's Creed style of climbing. And why wouldn't it? The best Olympians in the world wouldn't be able to do what the Assassin's Creed characters do, but it's easier to suspend disbelief if the in-game character is built like an Olympian.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Not just "doing parkour", but specifically the Assassin's Creed style of climbing. And why wouldn't it? The best Olympians in the world wouldn't be able to do what the Assassin's Creed characters do, but it's easier to suspend disbelief if the in-game character is built like an Olympian.
Because it's a video game and does not have to mirror real life?

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
You'll generally find more diverse body types in games with an ensemble cast, in order to increase diversity.
You'll rarely, if ever, find less represented body types as the sole protagonist, because most games tend to be power fantasies, and most people would prefer to be fit/muscular/etc.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
i don't think the best way to have plus sized representation is to build a narrative around how you're only going to be capable when you lose the weight
Probably not, in this case I guess it would be more focusing on improving yourself instead of just staying satisfied being big. It's just an idea I had using my own experience as a big guy.

In a way it might be relatable to a lot of people who are trying to improve themselves or need motivation. Especially having a character that isn't blessed by the gods physically from the get go.

It's just something I thought of, I used to be super obese, 80 lbs down and now I'm just fat lol

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
more noticeable in the NPCs than the protagonist

Walking around New York in Spiderman and no one is fat/obese

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Because it's a video game and does not have to mirror real life?

It also depends on the video game.

With a game that aims for grounded realism in its story, like TLOU2, the characters need to seem physically able to do what they're doing to make the suspension of disbelief easier.

With other games that's less of an issue, and I'll definitely agree that there's more room for a range of body types in those titles. If there's no aim for "realism" there's no reason to not have a variety of body types.

The real answer to all of this, though, is that our shitty societal expectations mean that games with attractive protagonists sell better.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It simply makes the suspension disbelief smaller. It of course depends on the tone of the game. Last Of Us 2 would simply feel off if Ellie or Abby weren't fit looking. It would be inconsistent with the rest of the game. Same if they were sexualized super models.
Something like Warcraft then goes for a completely different tone that doesn't require much authenticity so pretty much anything goes.
Yes, of course it depends on the game. If you've got realistic humans in a "realistic, gritty world" like in the Last of Us franchise, then sure, you're going to want to stick within the realm of reasonable body proportions and physical actions, slow wind-ups for animation, and all that bullshit. But, at the end of the day, video games allow you to do whatever the fuck you want to do. And I want more interesting settings, more interesting character designs, more interesting stories, and more interesting art styles. If my protagonist is fat, or is even fat and is climbing around doing shit, I'm really not going to give a fuck if they and the world they inhabit are interesting.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I was thinking on making a thread but about male pattern baldness.
Like 2/3 of men will experience some kind of baldness, complete baldness of maybe just a little bit noticeable receding hairline, but it will be present, yet, aside from Rockstar Games i can't think of another developer giving realistic hairlines to their MCs

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
I'm sure I'm not the only one who started lifting and leading a heathier lifestyle based after a characters in a game, etc. I think it's a good thing.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
It makes a lot more sense for Japanese games, as obesity and even being overweight is definitely not as widespread as it is in the west. But yeah, american games lacking overweight people is kinda ridiculous.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think this happens in pretty much all visual media. Almost everyone on TV or movies is incredibly attractive unless a character specifically isn't supposed to be.

latest

There's Coach from Left 4 Dead 2

It seems like it's more popular for video games with character creation or with character selection like Bob from Tekken and Rufus from Street Fighter. There may be negative perceptions about the marketability of obese main characters from the companies too.
I think in the in-game commentary, the l4d2 devs said that they wanted normal-looking people for the characters rather than people who looked like models or movie stars. The voice actors for the characters were used as a base for their models.

Edit: maybe I remembered wrong about the voice actors modeling for the characters, but I do remember that the devs specifically wanted more realistic body types for the characters.

Last edited:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'd be fine with it being a option for those that want it, but I wouldn't use it myself. It just wouldn't look right to me.

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
My wife is curvy as hell but she has a flat stomach. Yes it does make sense OP, it's called squats.

Also, just because some of us are fit doesn't mean we don't "spend our spare time playing games", it just means we also train to keep up our health, speed, and strength, .....maybe because we want to be around longer to spend more time with our loved ones and play more games?
I'm sure your wife is spectacular but I'm not talking about a toned "curvy" gym body. I'm talking about a really big bust and wide hips as seen in some games, in real life those two features can absolutely exist but not without body fat. You can build muscles and tone your waist to give you a slightly more hourglass figure but how will you lower the body fat just on your stomach and keep it in your breasts?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Barry from TMS#FE. Not necessarily a fan fave, and he's a retired musician(and based off a real life one) but he's a more average body shape compared to most of the other cast in said gamr
latest

admittedly a side character though

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Yeah, there's not as much overweight characters. Only recent game I can think of with realistic weight is RDR2 and it's online component, but there's quite a bit of clipping on bigger characters so animation might be what's holding it back? Fat Arthur however, in my opinion, is canon.

watch-your-weight-1548199669.jpg

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Barry from TMS#FE. Not necessarily a fan fave, and he's a retired musician(and based off a real life one) but he's a more average body shape compared to most of the other cast in said gamr
latest

admittedly a side character though
Aside from his horrible-as-fuck taste in shoes, this guy looks cool.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
I'm sure I'm not the only one who started lifting and leading a heathier lifestyle based after a characters in a game, etc. I think it's a good thing.
But if we had a wider representation of different body types in gaming, do you think that would go away? If we made games more inclusive and diverse, there would be no fit or healthy characters left? (Also assuming that only the fittest of the fit and muscular perfection have healthy lifestyles)

No-one is asking anyone to delete all fit characters from gaming, just allow more diverse bodytypes to be in games in bigger roles. Why do you people come in here and say 'it's a good thing!'.

Maybe you could also find motivation in a semi-fit guy? Or a guy who still 'looks' a bit 'overweight' but is pretty strong and has good cardiovascular function?
Seriously, this thread is a disaster. I agree with you.

You can play as Mario characters made of paper fighting a roll of scotch tape, but it's characters that aren't perfectly thin and athletic that "take you out of the experience and isn't realistic", lmao.
🥰Thanks, I know I'm not alone, it's just so accepted and pervasive sometimes it gets to you 😅

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there's not as much overweight characters. Only recent game I can think of with realistic weight is RDR2 and it's online component, but there's quite a bit of clipping on bigger characters so animation might be what's holding it back? Fat Arthur however, in my opinion, is canon.

Oh that's great. Can you look like that in the single player portion by eating "wrong"?

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

it sucks that you have to like go out of your way to get him to look anything close to this

i played like 50 hours of this game before i even knew weight gain and loss was even a thing

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be fine with it being a option for those that want it, but I wouldn't use it myself. It just wouldn't look right to me.
Yeah options are fine, I just want my hero to have a nice hairy belly really, to me it would look perfect, and it's about time the male characters get something to add physics on too ;)

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, thanks. I've been chubby for most of my life (and still am today), but I could really do without this kind of "representation".
I absolutely don't want my media to perfectly reflect real life, whatever the studies may say about the supposed benefits of it. I'm here to be absorbed in a better, fictional world, where most characters are forever beatiful, thin and young, and would much prefer it to stay that way.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Someone says something you don't like so they should be banned? Sorry you don't like hearing the truth.

It was a quickly typed post, don't have a hissy fit.
Exemplary answer when someone doesn't like a thing you do, just say 'don't have a hissy fit'

You just came into a thread where people are wanting more representation for diverse body types and say that people don't want that, and then you are weirded out when people get confrontational?

Generally when someone says they want something, or wonder why something is a certain way, you try to show understanding. Not tell them their opinion is invalidated by the masses who think otherwise.

You do know that your argument can and has been used for every thing ever?

"But 'people don't want': black people, brown people, hbtq people, women"

won't sell, people don't like it, sorry move on :(

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Depending on the game, I disagree. If it's my job to be The Witcher where I spent my entire life jogging, horseback riding, and sword fighting until I'm exhausted, I'm guessing I'm gonna be pretty shredded.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I'm all in for it because it means more interesting/different character designs from the norm. New stories, new visuals, etc. It's a fresher look than the #3000 fit white guy protagonist

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Nah, thanks. I've been chubby for most of my life (and still am today), but I could really do without this kind of "representation".
I absolutely don't want my media to perfectly reflect real life, whatever the studies may say about the supposed benefits of it. I'm here to be absorbed in a better, fictional world, where most characters are forever beatiful, thin and young, and would much prefer it to stay that way.
Why?

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah barry is disgusting

in this case 'the truth' is discriminatory
No, it's called a choice. Your wanting to play as a fat person is no different than my not.
Exemplary answer when someone doesn't like a thing you do, just say 'don't have a hissy fit'

You just came into a thread where people are wanting more representation for diverse body types and say that people don't want that, and then you are weirded out when people get confrontational?

Generally when someone says they want something, or wonder why something is a certain way, you try to show understanding. Not tell them their opinion is invalidated by the masses who think otherwise.

You do know that your argument can and has been used for every thing ever?

"But 'people don't want': black people, brown people, hbtq people, women"

won't sell, people don't like it :(

Did you even read my post? The hissy fit was directly in response to the person who just had to quote me with a "FFS" for quickly typing Laura instead of Lara. It had absolutely nothing to do with anything else.

Your entire post is based on an exchange you don't even understand.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
No, it's called a choice. Your wanting to play as a fat person is no different than my not.
your choice is to be discriminatory

but their point is still entirely valid. you chose to use wide sweeping language by baselessly saying most people don't want this to try to justify your discrimination. and then, when called out on it, you retreat back to just talking about you and your individual choice. which, still, is discriminatory

OP
OP

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to guess that you think this way because of how chubby characters are represented in media as of right now. As others have said, usually to make fun of them or for villains.
I don't see what would be bad about giving Nathan Drake some more body fat if he's still a likeable and strong character and hero.
If they would just add a bunch of chubby characters to make fun of or to show how weak minded they are, then yeah, no thanks!

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Fatshaming
Yeah I mean is it believable that Lara Croft loves her Big Macs every day when she's travelling the globe running climbing all over mountains and if she does love her Big Macs I'm sure that activity means she burns it all off no problem 😂

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
Now that I think of it didn't they use fat Thor as a joke in the last avengers movie
How come that didn't receive a lot of outrage it was fat shaming to no end but he's a average White guy so it musta been ok

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah I mean is it believable that Lara Croft loves her Big Macs every day when she's travelling the globe running climbing all over mountains and if she does love her Big Macs I'm sure that activity means she burns it all off no problem 😂
haha fat people could only ever be fat because of a lack of impulse control and constant desire for fast food 🤣🤣🤣

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden

Did you even read my post? The hissy fit was directly in response to the person who just had to quote me with a "FFS" for quickly typing Laura instead of Lara. It had absolutely nothing to do with anything else.

Sorry, man, yeah I misunderstood the part about the hissy fit, I was a bit quick on the reading there :)

And I'm not good at the quoting function haha.

I'll quote your post here that I was also referencing to:
People keep using the excuse that your hero would be fit from doing all the things that they do, and that's true, but the reality is that most people just don't want to play as a fat person. TV and movies aren't filled with beautiful people for the hell of it. People want to see beautiful people, just like they want to play as them.

For every person that wants Nathan Drake to look like a shlub there are thousands and thousands who would hate it. There are plenty of games with body sliders if that's your thing, but I don't really care to play as fat Spiderman or Laura Croft, and neither do most people.
This was the dismissive attitude I was talking about and the way you called your post 'the truth'.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Im not in the US so my experience might differ but i definitelly dont see 90% of the people being fat. Also how is this a gaming only thing. How is it different than shows or movies? Fat people are often comic relief in that medium and rarely are they more than that.

Having some body fat doesn't automatically equate to being overweight. Over the last couple of decades for movies in particular things have been leaning so heavily in the other direction that actors are constantly dehydrating themselves to an unhealthy degree in order to show unnatural amounts of muscle definition.

I think a good example to demonstrate just how extreme things are today would be Shatner from Star Trek TOS as he's a pretty archetypical action hero of that era from the 60's to 80's (which is when post Schwarznegger beefcake action stars started to take over). They took pretty much every opportunity they could to show him bare chested and his physique didn't look anything like we expect those characters to look today.

Status
Not open for further replies.