• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Hopefully something on Xbox eventually as portable downports and streaming are not appealing at all for me. Maybe Goldeneye remake or something finally.

If not then it's basically a non-thing for me. Switch is an exclusives only device.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I'm hoping Rare stuff with Nintendo history gets, Switch and Xbox releases with crossplay. Imagine GoldenEye remastered with cross play.....laaaaaawd.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo will ask Microsoft to handle Nintendo's backwards compatibility problem and Microsoft will answer the call. In return Xbox will get Mario Kart or Splatoon (something multiplayer)

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I honestly fail to see whats so special about this "relationship". Nice to have stuff like a former nintendo char/duo in smash and a small game here and there, but so far it's not setting the world on fire.
Phil Spencer actually had a feature today in Kotaku where he outlined this "relationship" by describing themselves as one of many third party publishers for the Switch and that they don't speak CEO to CEO with Nintendo but through the same channels as every other third party. It just seems like a standard platform holder and publisher relationship.
kotaku.com

Xbox Boss Phil Spencer Says Banjo In Smash Was An Easy Deal To Make

Nintendo’s penultimate E3 announcement today involved the addition of a Microsoft-owned character to Smash Bros. This kind of company crossover between two platform holders might seem extraordinary, but Xbox boss Phil Spencer said that it was actually a pretty easy deal.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
Can't see it being much more than what has already happened. Probably get Ori and a few other smaller games but otherwise I think all the talk of xCloud etc. is just forum wet dreams.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
I don't think we'll see a lot more. People are wanting Gamepass, I don't think we'll see that on Switch. Hopefully a version of Rare Replay hits Switch, and by that, only the Rare titles that appeared on Nintendo consoles.

On another note, Super Lucky's Tale is coming, and that's another Xbox exclusive.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it culminates in Rare Replay for Switch and a jointly developed Banjo-Threeie.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if more ID@Xbox games, that previously had exclusivity deals, came over to Switch as the Xbox Live API grows on the platform. Being able to stream games also seems a big win, but I don't expect a lot of native ports from Microsoft themselves.

On another note, Super Lucky's Tale is coming, and that's another Xbox exclusive.

That seems to be more of a Ninja Gaiden kinda deal than something driven by Microsoft. It's not the same game and instead it's a reimagining of what was previously released on Xbox/PC.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Rare Replay on Nintendo Switch is absolutely not going to happen. A huge amount of those games are not ports, they are just directly the Xbox 360 versions. I could maybe see them considering a port of Nuts & Bolts, but Perfect Dark Zone? Jetpac Refueled? Kameo? Not a damn chance.

Banjo-Kazooie, Tooie and maaaaybe the new Battletoads (not developed by Rare) will probably come to Nintendo Switch but I do not expect anything beyond that. Shame too, since I think the Viva Pinata games would be an excellent choice for the platform. Oh wait, Rare never made good games after they joined Microsoft, right? Nevermind!

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They are related as well, but this stance exists since before. Historically NOA didn't localize several games over all Nintendo systems since the NES. That's why Nintendo has such a big Japan-only library as most stuff deemed "too japanese" would be kept Japan only. I don't think this is all on only NOA chiefs and that they didn't change over the years, but it's a thing that they always had this resistance towards parts of Nintendo catalogue, that not even NOE had anymore after some time.

I get the Wii U sold bad, but it was time to make positive PR at least until the next system. NoE released Fatal Frame in retail, NoA just dropped into the store for a high price. The game itself didn't even do bad in Japan for franchise's standards, so it wasn't even a complete bomba.

NCL has problems as well (Takahashi's recent interview is kinda disappointing for saying how much they resist the idea of new IPs), but my problem is that I feel like what higher ups at NOA wants for the company is too different from what NCL did over the years. And I do like NOA's localizations and the tree house, but I just can't see myself getting excited for a future where Nintendo goes through a Sony-like transformation.

Seems particularly unlikely in the case of Nintendo which is a very centralized company and still does things in ways that are unreasonably focused on Japan like their online system and the smartphone app.

Again, let's not forget that this is a company that has like 95% of its development force in Japan and that these stints with Microsoft have largely been small stuff here and there. I mean, they're finally working on a Western license again (Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3) and it's with a Japanese developer. And NoA is finally pushing some extremely anime stuff from NCL (Xenoblade, Fire Emblem...)

The decline of smaller Nintendo games is regrettable, I agree. I hope we see more collaborations with companies like Vanpool, Grounding Inc., Grezzo and Syn Sophia again. But I don't think that has much to do with NoA getting some autonomy back and putting it into third party relationships.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Phil Spencer actually had a feature today in Kotaku where he outlined this "relationship" by describing themselves as one of many third party publishers for the Switch and that they don't speak CEO to CEO with Nintendo but through the same channels as every other third party. It just seems like a standard platform holder and publisher relationship.
kotaku.com

Xbox Boss Phil Spencer Says Banjo In Smash Was An Easy Deal To Make

Nintendo’s penultimate E3 announcement today involved the addition of a Microsoft-owned character to Smash Bros. This kind of company crossover between two platform holders might seem extraordinary, but Xbox boss Phil Spencer said that it was actually a pretty easy deal.
That's actually a good thing that it was that easy, MS going full third party for Nintendo to test out smaller games would actually be a good idea imo.

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
By 2020 Microsoft will be the third best western publisher on the switch behind bethesda and thq

Take 2, ubisoft, EA, Activision and Capcom wont even be in the same league

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think MS will just releasing Minecraft stuff there. And if they buy another small games studio who needs extra money to make their game profitable, or already had their port done before purchased, they may allow them to port it to Switch.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
Microsoft helping on back end with services but not much more for now later on maybe you'll see Gamepass on Nintendo ,PlayStation and everywhere else like you see with Office 365. Sataya's vision is that they are in it to make money and have the best customer service. Microsoft doesn't care what device you use as long as you use their products and subscriptions which in the long term will make them the most money I can see both Nintendo and Sony doing the same in the future fanboys won't like it but it's the reality of best for the business the bigger the audience the more the money the bigger the games.

Oct 26, 2017
And Age of Empires: Mythologies. Whoever did it, they converted RTS style gameplay to TBS perfectly. I want AoE Definitive games on Switch too.

I loved Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow and Zoo Tycoon on DS too.

Griptonite did Age of Mythologies on DS. :)

Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow was by tri-Crescendo.

Blue Dragon Plus was by feelplus+ and, believe it or not... Nintendo's own Brownie Brown (now 1UP Studio).

Zoo Tycoon DS 1 and 2 were by Altron.

Backbone Entertainment did Age of Empires: The Age of Kings and MechAssault: Phantom War.

And of course Rare themselves did Diddy Kong Racing DS and Viva Pinata Pocket Paradise.

And that concludes today's history lesson kids.

Anyway this is the main thread I guess that Queen Kong meant to link to, since she(?) linked to the same thread that got locked. :P

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
We'll probably see the first two Banjo games on Switch at some point.

My personal hope is that Rare makes a new Diddy Kong Racing for Switch, though that one might be a bit more of a long shot.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Their Western branches have also been the ones that are getting all these small quirky indie games on the system (and even assisted with something like Snipperclips) whereas the Japanese branch controls like 99% of their development power. This seems especially misdirected when NoA made all the Touch Generations stuff extremely successful in the US.
It's classic japan good west shit ideology

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I think internet made it a bigger deal than what it actually is.

It's clear Microsoft is making their moves with Xbox Live on Switch for Minecraft, Cuphead and Super Lucky's Tale, we'll see more of these little moves here and there and not the big blow out maybe we were all expecting with Rare Replay, Xbox services, and according to rumor even a Halo/Gears/Forza.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I think internet made it a bigger deal than what it actually is.

It's clear Microsoft is making their moves with Xbox Live on Switch for Minecraft, Cuphead and Super Lucky's Tale, we'll see more of these little moves here and there and not the big blow out maybe we were all expecting with Rare Replay, Xbox services, and according to rumor even a Halo/Gears/Forza.
Well the biggest thing here is MS is dead serious about playing games wherever you want and on whatever device you want, if there is a game that makes sense they will probably put it there. It's not really a collab per say it's more of MS embracing being a 3rd party for Nintendo more than they did in the GBA/DS days.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If the next Switch models support wi-fi6, I'd love for them to be little xCloud machines as well as Nintendo's home.

Would make them even more versatile.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It's pretty clear that Microsoft now views their gaming ambitions as extending beyond the bounds of the Xbox console and PC. Minecraft is everywhere, pretty much all of their acquired studios are still releasing their games on other consoles, Gears characters are in terrible mobile games and now we have this. They seem to be testing the waters a bit, with things like Cuphead; it's like they're seeing how their Xbox console users react to their games no longer being exclusive, but Xbox console users seem pretty ambivalent.

This makes a lot of sense for Microsoft; they've never been the market leader in consoles. Ballmer was willing to light cash on fire to support The Microsoft Option in areas where they weren't the market leader, but Nadella is different. He's more of an earn-your-keep kinda guy, and he's open to new ways of thinking. Microsoft will keep making consoles, but that's clearly no longer the end-all be-all for Xbox.

I don't think we'll see Halo Infinite on the Switch anytime soon, but I can see a Rare Replay-style collection and even Master Chief Collection on Switch. Porting older and indie titles to Switch opens them up to a new audience and is unlikely to cause Xbox console sales to crater. Microsoft wants to keep their brands and characters in peoples' heads; a lot of Halo's reduction in relevance this generation can be traced back to being anchored to Xbox One. (Gears too, but I think that has other problems.)

I don't understand what any of this has to do with Microsoft "establishing dominance" over Nintendo, or whatever. If anything, it's a little humbling for Microsoft; changing your strategy because you're not getting the results you wanted always is. Microsoft has apps in the Apple App Store too, but that doesn't make them dominant over Apple. If anything, Apple's in the position of power.

Yes, Microsoft is a gazillion-dollar company, but they're a gazillion-dollar enterprise software and services company with a much smaller gaming division (smaller than Nintendo by most metrics). And Nadella does not seem like the kind to shovel cash into a pit to try to fill it, like Ballmer sometimes did.

I don't think we have to worry about Microsoft taking over the industry. If anything, they found theirselves on their ass a little bit, with Xbox One, and are regrouping.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
All the way to acquisition. Phil was just saying they need more Japanese devs. This would cover that.