• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
You will never get BOTW on Xbox. Put it like this the Nvidia Shield has more of a chance to access Nintendo IP. Wait it already has lol

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
What will increase Nintendo's shareholder value?

Having premium, retail ms published games?You bet.

Having a cheap as fuck streaming service that they make no money off of that will suck up players' time, eyeballs, and money? Just no.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully stops here. NoA is getting too much power inside Nintendo and pushing the company to the opposite direction of what I want. I don't want Nintendo to be Microsoft's handheld division.
Banjo Kazooie in Smash and some solid Microsoft published games on the Switch?

Like seriously, I'm not sure where you're getting the impression Microsoft is getting power over Nintendo just because they're publishing a few games on the Switch.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of this over Cuphead and Banjo in Smash? Talk about being overly dramatic.
Besides my personal feelings over this, NoA is the branch that I always didn't like because of their positions towards Nintendo's smaller/niche titles. They almost killed Xenoblade with the Wii nonsense and later hurt several other games like Fatal Frame, TMS, Rhythm heaven, Style Savvy, etc with their lack of support. We had insiders saying NoA is taking more control since Iwata passed away and Vitei's CEO himself said today's Nintendo is different (negatively) towards their funding and promoting of their own small games -- this is obvious considering the disappearance of these titles on Switch in comparison to the 3DS.

This whole Microsoft thing just feels like NoA taking more power, as they're the branch that handles this stuff. While I feel like Microsoft influence is generally worrying to what makes me like Nintendo as an unique developer going against the boring samey AAA market.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Besides my personal feelings over this, NoA is the branch that I always didn't like because of their positions towards Nintendo's smaller/niche titles. They almost killed Xenoblade with the Wii nonsense and later hurt several other games like Fatal Frame, TMS, Rhythm heaven, Style Savvy, etc with their lack of support. We had insiders saying NoA is taking more control since Iwata passed away and Vitei's CEO himself said today's Nintendo is different (negatively) towards their funding and promoting of small games -- this is obvious considering the disappearance of these titles on Switch in comparison to the 3DS.

This whole Microsoft thing just feels like NoA taking more power, as they're the branch that handles this stuff. While I feel like Microsoft influence is generally worrying to what makes me like Nintendo as an unique developer going against the boring samey AAA market.
I'm sorry, Tokyo Mirage Sessions had a lack of support? The game got localized despite bombing in Japan. Or are you talking about how Atlus did the localization instead of Nintendo of America? That was Atlus' decision, not NoA's.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
I want rare replay on switch so badly, and Nintendo to allow them to use Donkey Kong Country/64

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I think its pretty obvious Game Pass will be coming to Switch. About half of the games in the catalog are already on the device. will be a mix of local and streaming titles.

Xbox Game Pass for Switch - $10 per month (Nintendo Online required for Online Multiplayer).

Or

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate $15 per month.
  • Xbox Game Pass for Console
  • Xbox Game Pass for PC
  • Xbox Game Pass for Switch (Nintendo Online required for Online Multiplayer)
  • Xbox Live Gold
You'll see more games from Xbox Game Studios hit the Switch.
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Battletoads (would this have been greenlit if it wasn't hitting the Switch?, the dev is known for their cross-dev skills too)
  • Rare Replay + Rare Nintendo Classics DLC (DKC etc..)?
  • Gears Pop? (mobile and the switch are pretty similar platforms in terms of tech..)
  • Wasteland 3 (I believe this was already announced before the buyout)
  • Killer Instinct? (or a sequel...)
  • A new Banjo?
  • MCC? (seem to have their hands full atm, but why not)
  • And then the Xbox Studios Catalog via Streaming

Last edited:

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Besides my personal feelings over this, NoA is the branch that I always didn't like because of their positions towards Nintendo's smaller/niche titles. They almost killed Xenoblade with the Wii nonsense and later hurt several other games like Fatal Frame, TMS, Rhythm heaven, Style Savvy, etc with their lack of support. We had insiders saying NoA is taking more control since Iwata passed away and Vitei's CEO himself said today's Nintendo is different (negatively) towards their funding and promoting of their own small games -- this is obvious considering the disappearance of these titles on Switch in comparison to the 3DS.

Im pretty sure Nintendo of Japan would never have said no to any of these collaborations either. It's just Microsoft acting as typical third party.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like seriously, I'm not sure where you're getting the impression Microsoft is getting power over Nintendo just because they're publishing a few games on the Switch.
Microsoft is a trillion dollar company that is acquisition heavy and is always trying to grow their circle of influence. I don't know why I shouldn't be worried that one of the only companies that don't just follow the AAA market are getting way too close with them, even more considering this makes NoA more influent in the company and I already explained why I have issues with that.

I'm sorry, Tokyo Mirage Sessions had a lack of support? The game got localized despite bombing in Japan.
It barely got promoted at all. They sent it and Fatal Frame to death. Most people that picked up TMS were actually surprised it was a pretty good game.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Funny how people want collaboration to stop, as if MS is polluting the virtue of Nintendo or something.

Collaboration is what made F-Zero GX.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Their Western branches have also been the ones that are getting all these small quirky indie games on the system (and even assisted with something like Snipperclips) whereas the Japanese branch controls like 99% of their development power. This seems especially misdirected when NoA made all the Touch Generations stuff extremely successful in the US.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
I think its pretty obvious Game Pass will be coming to Switch. About half of the games in the catalog are already on the device. will be a mix of local and streaming titles.

Xbox Game Pass for Switch - $10 per month (Nintendo Online required for Online Multiplayer).

Or

• Xbox Game Pass for PC
  • Xbox Live Gold
  • Battletoads (would this have been greenlit if it wasn't hitting the Switch?, the dev is known for their cross-dev skills too)
  • Gears Pop?
  • Wasteland 3
  • Killer Instinct?
  • A new Banjo?
  • MCC?

How does this make nintendo money? They wont sell more hardware because MS is going to stream everything to every mobile device they can already. It is going to be like netflix.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
A Halo, Gears or Forza on Switch.
Ideally, Banjo Threeie but Im not sure about that with Rares hands full with Sea of Thieves.

Either way, I'm loving their relationship.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017

Or

• Xbox Game Pass for PC
  • Xbox Live Gold
  • Gears Pop?
  • Wasteland 3
  • Killer Instinct?
  • A new Banjo?
  • MCC?

If half the games are already on the Switch and they're making money selling half the catalog on the Switch what is the benefit of allowing someone elses subscription service on their platform?

Obviously Microsoft would love this but it has never made any business sense for Nintendo. There isn't a deal that would be worth it

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is a trillion dollar company that is acquisition heavy and is always trying to grow their circle of influence. I don't know why I shouldn't be worried that one of the only companies that don't just follow the AAA market are getting way too close with them, even more considering this makes NoA more influent in the company and I already explained why I have issues with that.
Microsoft acquiring Nintendo would be both ludicrously expensive and would run into a ton of different anti-trust law issues. It also doesn't really mesh with any of the behavior we've seen from Microsoft for its video games division.

It barely got promoted at all. They sent it and Fatal Frame to death.
I mean... It's a Wii U title that bombed in Japan despite clearly being aimed at a Japanese demographic and Japan being the Wii U's stronghold. It's not hard to see why it was "sent to its death" with little promotion. It still got featured heavily on the Treehouse at E3 and still got commercials, which is more than many other games ever got.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Long term? Nintendo licensing Microsoft cloud streaming tech and possibly white label Xbox Live.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
If half the games are already on the Switch and they're making money selling half the catalog on the Switch what is the benefit of allowing someone elses subscription service on their platform?

Obviously Microsoft would love this but it has never made any business sense for Nintendo. There isn't a deal that would be worth it
Nintendo would obviously get a large chunk of the subscription revenue.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you're not getting halo/forza/gears on switch, and you're not getting mario/zelda/splatoon on xbox. the relationship will just be about MS looking for more avenues for their smaller characters/IPs and their services and nintendo and switch being a good place to put them.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Cuphead, XBL on Switch and now Banjo in Smash. The beginnings of a solid relationship are there, but where else so you guys think this partnership can go? Games, services, etc.

I would have thought the whole Game Pass on Switch would have been revealed here.

So far it looks like the two companies are just being friendly and allowing some mixing of games/franchises.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
you're not getting halo/forza/gears on switch, and you're not getting mario/zelda/splatoon on xbox. the relationship will just be about MS looking for more avenues for their smaller characters/IPs and their services and nintendo and switch being a good place to put them.
I'd kill for Halo CE rerelease on Switch. :(

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I think it may grow to the point where it's routine to see Microsoft games on Switch. Nothing dramatic - no mainline Halo, Forza, or Gears - but a range of lower-key games and whatever collaborations they can make that neither companies views as harmful. That might include more Microsoft characters in Smash, a port of Rare Replay or maybe even some older Microsoft games, and maybe ports of some of Nintendo's mobile stuff to Xbox.

There's also a good chance that when Nintendo properly move into the services market, that they'll choose Azure as their partner just like Sony did, and Microsoft are probably hoping to encourage that.

I don't think either company is looking at this on anything other than a purely practical, utilitarian basis. Microsoft is getting exposure and an additional market for some of its games without taking actions that they think might threaten Xbox. Nintendo are getting additional support and potentially some Switch sales, without ceding control of their own hardware or software. They'll both be happy with that, but I'm also sure they both want to keep their position as distinct platform holders and won't do anything that jeopardises that.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
I am sure the two can work out a deal.

What makes you sure?

I am really curious as to what such a scenario would look like. If nintendo wants to continue their business model of selling hardware and taking 30% of all third party software sales, how does xcloud and gamepass help with that?

The only way it makes sense is if MS buys a controlling interest in Nintendo. That way they get Nintendo games and Nintendo doesn't have to worry about making and selling new hardware every 7 years.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I think it will go about as far as Microsoft releasing games like Rare Replay on the Switch, eventually.
Maybe GamePass or xCloud on the Switch, but I don't know if Nintendo would go for that. I guess we'll see.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their Western branches have also been the ones that are getting all these small quirky indie games on the system (and even assisted with something like Snipperclips) whereas the Japanese branch controls like 99% of their development power. This seems especially misdirected when NoA made all the Touch Generations stuff extremely successful in the US.
Well, I play a lot of indies and like them. I don't think that justifies the death of the small scale Nintendo games, even more considering the RoI of series like Style Savvy and how they were appealing to other demographics besides male teenagers/young adults.

NCL does promote indies a lot as well. They have whole shows to them, with the Yoiko super popular videos and Indie World presentations. So it's not like they're doing nothing in this regard.

But we have way too many examples of NoA not being willing to promote or localize japanese games, including several Nintendo titles. Like I said, they almost killed Xenoblade not wanting to localize it.

Microsoft acquiring Nintendo would be both ludicrously expensive and would run into a ton of different anti-trust law issues. It also doesn't really mesh with any of the behavior we've seen from Microsoft for its video games division.
Microsoft can't buy Nintendo at all. Anti-trust laws in Japan would block it, they have them specifically to protect national companies. But I have a fear that their influence over NoA may grow too big -- I'm sure they're trying to push Xcloud, Azure, GP, etc, while the branch keeps getting more internal power in decisions. I don't like it because I don't buy Nintendo systems wanting them to be the same as the others. I just want them to do their own stuff, there are options for people not into Nintendo designed hardware and software, but there's pretty much no one doing the stuff I like from Nintendo.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
keep collaborating on some small things when it makes sense but otherwise just keep on with business as usual

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft can't buy Nintendo at all. Anti-trust laws in Japan would block it, they have them specifically to protect national companies. But I have a fear that their influence over NoA may grow too big -- I'm sure they're trying to push Xcloud, Azure, GP, etc, while the branch keeps getting more internal power in decisions. I don't like it because I don't buy Nintendo systems wanting them to be the same as the others. I just want them to do their own stuff, there are options for people not into Nintendo designed hardware and software, but there's pretty much no one doing the stuff I like from Nintendo.
Where do you get the idea that Microsoft's output on the Switch would lead to a lack of Nintendo's traditional output?