• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Also, if you have a GTX 10XX lying around, you should be looking at selling, because they shot up in price and can go for more than when they were new.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
Also, if you have a GTX 10XX lying around, you should be looking at selling, because they shot up in price and can go for more than when they were new.

Looks like they are going on ebay for $400-450. I sold mine for $350 last summer, I don't feel that bad about that.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
Is mining ethereum that profitable? a lone 3070 gets like 6 to 7 bucks for 24h, either you don't pay anything for wattage, or people are using several cards.

This is how many cards they're using....

I still can't believe a manufacturer thought posting a picture like that was a good idea. Whoever uploaded it obviously thought it was a "pretty" picture but it's a kick in the teeth to people who can't get a card.

It would be like Sony posting a picture of 20 PS5's a scalper had....

DaCocoBrova

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped caring. This whole thing has taught me to better appreciate what I already have (GTX1080 / RTX 2060). Spending $500 plus for 20 more frames per second ain't worth it. I may skip this cycle altogether.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"We now have the capacity to make all the 3080s we need!"

One month later: "Here is the 4080! How can you live without it!"

😭

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
So the current situation with Crypto is that most if not all crypto work with a Proof of Work system. Proof of work is pretty much using a GPU to process the crypto transactions. This is what causes people to crypto mine since it's profitable.

Our hope is that Proof of Stake crypto take off. They are a lot less energy heavy compared to PoW crypto and wouldn't need nearly as much processing power.

The main player in this space is Cardano. They've been trying to go PoS from the start when everyone went PoW since it was more profitable. Good news, they've finally started to make serious progress. They'll hopefully be done with their main frame and have projects on it by 2022-2023. We'll likely see a shift to PoS crypto at that point.

Nov 2, 2017
Is mining ethereum that profitable? a lone 3070 gets like 6 to 7 bucks for 24h, either you don't pay anything for wattage, or people are using several cards.
Yes, it is. Most real miners have dozens of cards. $6-7/day is still $180-210/month for just one card. That means it only takes 3 months to fully pay off a 3070. There's almost no risk or downside to buying a bunch of GPUs for mining. Even if it crashes you can sell them to gamers.

I started mining at the end of december on my gaming rig and 2.5 months later I've made back half of my 3060Ti. Without a crash I'll have gotten a "free" 3060Ti in another 1.5-2 months. In hindsight I should've gotten a 3080 around release time when it was still possible.

not_smiff

Oct 31, 2017
I had a 3080 in my cart and i passed on it after i got my preorder in for my ps5. I regret that

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I started using NiceHash on my 3080 this month and it's been making around $11/day while costing around $0.75/day in electricity for the entire PC.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
I was fully intending on upgrading, but at this point I think I'll just stick with my 2070 super until these things get super cheap. this whole stock fiasco has forced me to think more about how much I need a 30 series card, and the answer is that I don't

getting a ps5 though... 😬 recently started following the rumours for when they're coming back in stock, I've got a stock alert livestream on in the background as I speak

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I live in Singapore and I am surprised how easy was to get a 3080 here, I wonder from other non-USA people how the situation is.

In Finland it's pretty impossible to get a 3080 but some 3070 and 3090 are available. At insane prices though, with about 850-1000 euros for 3070 (a card that was supposed to be something like 500-600 for the FE) and 3090 going for over 2000 euros.

Cryptocoins can go to hell. They do not provide any value to the world, just consumes energy for a virtual currency you can only trade for actual currency.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
When both the pandemic and bitcoin mining subsides. In short: not in the near future.

Expect this time in around one/two years.

k1x-

Oct 28, 2017
Trying to buy a Playstation 5 is a nightmare. Trying to buy a new Xbox is a nightmare. But, man, it feels like it's still *nothing* compared to the situation going on with Graphics Cards right now. I was just at a MicroCenter to pick up a new router yesterday, and they were completely sold out of everything besides a few GT 710s.

It's gotten to the point where miners are even starting to target laptops.

It's been rough if you've been looking for a GPU upgrade, arguably, since 2017. Vega was a flop, Turing was a sidegrade, and prices have continued to creep up - whenever mining booms didn't drive the price of components through the roof, like in 2018. Now we've got supply constraints down to the silicon level, shipping constraints due to the necessity of shipping as many vaccines as possible, COVID-19 and everything to do with that going on in the background... and that's on top of a $200+ jump in MSRP thanks to US-China tariffs.

My Vega 56 that I bought for <$400 3 years ago is going for $600~ pre-owned. This is absolutely *insane*. Where's the light at the end of the tunnel, and will things only get worse before they get any better?

Hey, I have some really bad news for you.

The supply situation is a pure disaster in all industries, especially with regard to manufacturing goods that include any electrical equipment and are ordered with great demand. Not only are many chip suppliers in huge arrears with no short term view of improvement, but all other major raw materials are seeing huge price jumps in addition to delivery delays.

Even the global supply traffic, which is only capable in a limited form at the current time anyway, is absolutely overloaded for the coming months.

And then there is the crypto miner hype...

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
People buying video cards for crypto mining is probably a very small part of the problem.
Not really, there were rumors of several AIBs selling their entire stock directly to miners.

Big mining farms are moving to places with cheaper electricity. About a week ago, there were news of chinese mining farms operating in Iran (due to the far cheaper electricity) who caused the electrical grid to go down due to the amount of power they draw.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Never? Supposedly they are bringing back online old coal plants JUST to mine crypto. What a terrible and wasteful invention.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Big mining farms are moving to places with cheaper electricity. About a week ago, there were news of chinese mining farms operating in Iran (due to the far cheaper electricity) who caused the electrical grid to go down due to the amount of power they draw.
Holy crap, that's insane and not in a good way.

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
Would like to replace my GTX 1070, so looked up what the price for a RTX 3070 would be: People want 900 - 1000 bucks. Yeah, I think I can still hold on longer on my 1070. Maybe by the time the prices are normal, there might be a new set of ti cards.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Great, so reading this thread it sounds like my plan for the next 12-18 months is:

1. Play indie games on my ever-aging 'Gaming' PC.
2. Hope that Stadia continues to limp along for long enough to continue using. (Might even sub to GFN)
3. Keep working away at my miniature painting backlog, while trying to forget about 'computer stuff' altogether.

I was planning on looking at upgrading my PC at the back-end of this year. Sounds like I'll have to push that back even further. Oh well.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
I had a PC scare recently where everything suddenly started acting up. It's such a bad timing to replace the mobo, GPU, and CPU. Thank God my SSD died not the whole thing. Good thing SSDs and RAMs are cheap as fuck nowadays.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
There whre threads months ago still pushing pc gaming as the more value oriented alternative to consoles... there where times, but it will stay this way for at least another year.

Crypto was one of the worst developments. Essentially only 2 groups win:
- speculation
- miners that are mining for extremly cheap costs (electricity thats coming from coal and is located in economically weaker areas)

It ruins the general parts market, does not add real value and just exploits resources and leaves an ecological mess for financial gain.

currently im hoping mini boards (raspberrys, arduinos) and sensors dont also jump in price. Heck, for projects im searchign old bust monitors/tvs and cant even find those. I also needed an old graphics card (1060 or so) for my mom, no chance to get one for a reasonable price... having to pay more for a used one then it released new back then is weeeird...

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Ended up getting a 6900 XT at MSRP (to replace my R9 290) about a month after its launch and for about a week after that, I had buyers remorse because I really wanted a 3080. Anyway, after seeing how insane this whole situation is, I'm at the point where I'm happy I was able to get anything.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
I am wander how this is going to affect new graphic card offerings this year. I was possibly looking at getting a 3080 but at this rate I'm better off trying to get a 40XX if they release them this year.

I am currently running a MSI GTX1060 6GB and it's starting to make a lot of games chug at this point.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
I bought a 3070 of a scalper on Gumtree here in the UK in mid November last year for £620 which i begrudgingly paid as I do not like making a viable market for them, he gave me the receipt for the warranty and he had paid £550.

I checked the website CCL which he bought the card from and it is now selling on their website for £680. Looks like i got a good deal.

Shitty situation all round and a terrible time to try and build a new PC.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Yes, it is. Most real miners have dozens of cards. $6-7/day is still $180-210/month for just one card. That means it only takes 3 months to fully pay off a 3070. There's almost no risk or downside to buying a bunch of GPUs for mining. Even if it crashes you can sell them to gamers.

I started mining at the end of december on my gaming rig and 2.5 months later I've made back half of my 3060Ti. Without a crash I'll have gotten a "free" 3060Ti in another 1.5-2 months. In hindsight I should've gotten a 3080 around release time when it was still possible.
How much has the electricity cost for this though?

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
i'm kind of curious if this will have any knock-on effects wrt targeted specs/optimization for PC games. i have to imagine that there's kind of a ripple here that's going to make aiming games at the highest of high spec computers is going to be pretty unfeasible for a couple of years if things continue. I actually think this would be a good thing, but it'd be interesting if it was noticeable.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
i'm kind of curious if this will have any knock-on effects wrt targeted specs/optimization for PC games. i have to imagine that there's kind of a ripple here that's going to make aiming games at the highest of high spec computers is going to be pretty unfeasible for a couple of years if things continue. I actually think this would be a good thing, but it'd be interesting if it was noticeable.

You would think so, but then you have the Metro Exodus Enhanced edition; I think it's more likely that there will just be a widening gap in videogames graphics between the haves (rtx'es) and have-nots.

Jan 10, 2018
I called the company who I usually buy PC parts from and they said that they get shipments with the cards constantly, but in various unknown numbers. They send them out asap to people in the queue list so they never appear as in-stock on the website. I pre-ordered two 3080's and got them within three months. Even the rare Vision card showed up before the expected date that was listed on the website.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
You would think so, but then you have the Metro Exodus Enhanced edition; I think it's more likely that there will just be a widening gap in videogames graphics between the haves (rtx'es) and have-nots.

that's true, although Metro is an odd edge case (maybe, anyway) since it's a free upgrade for previous owners as well as a new product for first timers, and I'd assume that the new sales are going to be somewhat hamstrung by the unavailability of cards that can actually run it--plus, they presumably started work on it before things became quite so drastic.

you're probably right though

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
that's true, although Metro is an odd edge case (maybe, anyway) since it's a free upgrade for previous owners as well as a new product for first timers, and I'd assume that the new sales are going to be somewhat hamstrung by the unavailability of cards that can actually run it--plus, they presumably started work on it before things became quite so drastic.

you're probably right though

I've just been depending on GeForce Now to let me play (a handful) of games with high graphic settings. Otherwise I'm stuck with a GTX 1070 for the next two or more years until the RTX 3000 series becomes available.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Next year is my guess, production is in crisis (well, the whole economy is), crypto currency is at a high, and scalpers are really doing their best in scalping. So until at least two out of those are solved, it won't improve an inch. The three of them to be actual better situation.

At this point, just get whatever makes sense. It'll get worse before getting better

I believe those bucks are after considering wattage costs.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I have no clue. But it will be bad forever IMO.

if bitcoin keeps rising like this you will never see these cards on the shelf. I have a 3080 and purchased for gaming. For kicks I downloaded nicehash and have been mining on the side and my card has almost paid for itself it 3 months. It prints money, why wouldn't EVERYONE want one ( or more ) for this purpose alone, forget about the gaming improvements.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I've just been depending on GeForce Now to let me play (a handful) of games with high graphic settings. Otherwise I'm stuck with a GTX 1070 for the next two or more years until the RTX 3000 series becomes available.

I lucked ("lucked") out into needing to find a replacement card because my 1660 started having overheating issues. initially my plan was to just ride it out for the year or two that things were gonna be like this, but I ended up having to do the slog of watching discord and twitch bots to find a card, since even replacement 1660s were absurdly inflated. i ended up with a 3070, but i'm not particularly thrilled about it--it's more money than i've ever spent on a video card before, the process was a pain, and i felt like my hand was forced since buying a cheaper replacement was out of the question.

what's worse is I kind of don't know how long this card will even last. I'm grateful I was able to find a replacement since I like gaming and I need a PC for work, but i can't help but feel bilked.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap. 3080 buy it now prices on eBay are near $2,000???

I really hope the situation is relieved soon, but I fear this could just be an opening salvo in certain stuff getting more and more expensive as raw materials get tougher to find and demand expands beyond the traditional channels. Good luck to everyone still on the lookout.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Luckily I had aprox. 30 minutes to preorder my 3080 here in my country before they sold out and I'm glad I pulled the trigger.

4 solid months of great performance.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Even when supply catches up in months (or over a year even) it's only a matter of time until it happens again. It's been like this (off and on) for years now.

My unpopular opinion is PC gaming will never be the same again and many in the PC gaming space will transition to consoles over the next few years. I hope I'm wrong but there are just too many different factors that have been contributing to this for a long time now.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
My PC upgrade has been in "one more year" status since 2016 (the initial expected launch date of Star Citizen). Last year was "One more year, gonna grab a PS5", this year it looks like "I would, but I won't be able to". Guess MS Flight Sim will age like wine, always better in the future anyways.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I ordered a laptop with an RTX 2060 in June of last year. Took maybe 6-8 weeks before I actually got it. At the time I was annoyed that it took so long, but now it looks like I got off easy compared with how things are now.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It is unknown and anyone who's giving any timeline is just guessing.
Mining has become the main consumer of GPUs since December.
And it will remain so until it will remain as profitable.
No amount of supply will change that.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
My unpopular opinion is PC gaming will never be the same again and many in the PC gaming space will transition to consoles over the next few years. I hope I'm wrong but there are just too many different factors that have been contributing to this for a long time now.
Agreeed. 2020 just expedited what was bound to happen sooner or later.