• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know him

You love him

The prime ape who launched Mario's career (not that he ever gets any thanks for it)

1200px-SuperMarioParty_DonkeyKong.png

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...ast-switch-hw-18m.113448/page-2#post-20166095

We know that Tropical Freeze did at least 2.25 million on the Switch alone which was rereleased in 2018.

So, when are we all expecting/hoping for the next DK game? Do you want it to be a 3rd Country game or do you want to see it go 3D platforming again?

Personally, I'm hoping for a 3rd Country game before they try leaping back into 3D. Hopefully in the next few years, cuz I need some DK!

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to go ahead and say he gets at least some kind of game for Switch, maybe 2020? But whose to say if that game is something like a Mario v Donkey Kong, a non-platformer, who knows.

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
Jungle Beat VR baby
Book it

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We'll be lucky if we don't have to wait another 10 years. The Wii U's failure and vocal fans whining about Retro not working on Metroid or a new IP really put DK back in a hole.

DeniroSerafim

Apr 5, 2018
Part of me thinks those DK references in New Donk City could have been hinting at the Odyssey team returning to the series again, although that is probably just me being overly optimistic. Hopefully we do get a new mainline game on the Switch soon though.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully soon, whether it be 2D or 3D. I really hope he doesn't devolve into just another Mario spin-off character like he was for a while until the release of DKCR.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Who is actually going to make it? Is the first question I have. Retro is presumably busy. Will Nintendo main studios in Japan make it...?

CallmeDave

Oct 27, 2017
DK64 is pretty awful game but I would like Nintendo to try again to having Kong in a 3d space.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
That's true, but finding the right studio won't happen overnight. Especially when you take into account Nintendo doesn't treat DKC like Nintendo's in house IPs. Stuff like Mario, Zelda or Animal Crossing get games pretty often, even if they're spin offs.
if it's not retro, someone else will make it.

DK is too big an IP to not get some kind of entry.
heck, could even be Ubisoft if there was no one else.
I don't think Ubi is likely though. After Retro, I see EPD next as most likely, then Monster games,
then some mix of Next Level, or arzest or unlikely but Grezzo , or Good-Feel would be a good candiate.

regardless, they won't ignore DK imo

Jorden1506

May 29, 2018
Netherlands
That's true, but finding the right studio won't happen overnight. Especially when you take into account Nintendo doesn't treat DKC like Nintendo's in house IPs. Stuff like Mario, Zelda or Animal Crossing get games pretty often, even if they're spin offs.

Well DKC should be Retro another kind of Donkey Kong game however (3D, jungle beat etc however could be done by another studio so yeah DK is more than DKC

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I want a DK not from Retro, so I hope that's what they've been working on, however unlikely. I fear that otherwise we won't be seeing DK for a good few years.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
After Returns and Tropical Freeze a Donkey Kong game from any other studio than Retro sounds like a really tough pill to swallow.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well DKC should be Retro another kind of Donkey Kong game however (3D, jungle beat etc however could be done by another studio so yeah DK is more than DKC

I think it's highly unlikely EAD would ever make another Jungle Beat game after how it sold. I'd love to wrong though, the game was fun!

I wouldn't mind getting some spin offs. PAON used to make them often, but that's been over a decade ago.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Let Donkey Kong rest for a bit, Wario Land needs a new game more.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Please keep his games 2D.

Number of Nintendo's alive 2D platformer series: 4, New Mario, DK, Kirby, Yoshi. If they decide to revive Wario series, then it's 5.

Number of Nintendo's alive 3D platformer series: 1 just Mario.

Sometimes it's nice to think of others. In this case, 3D platformer fans. Last 3D platfomer game we got on Switch was Odyssey but God knows what will be next. Maybe nothing? We need a 3D DK.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Punch Out. Let Little Mac sit the next one out and have DK be the star, maybe he starts as DK Jr or something so he isn't too powerful

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Number of Nintendo's alive 2D platformer series: 4, New Mario, DK, Kirby, Yoshi. If they decide to revive Wario series, then it's 5.

Number of Nintendo's alive 3D platformer series: 1 just Mario.

Sometimes it's nice to think of others. In this case, 3D platformer fans. Last 3D platfomer game we got on Switch was Odyssey but God knows what will be next. Maybe nothing? We need a 3D DK.

The 3D Mario games are excellent but DK has so far only worked in 2D. If they do decide that they want to make another 3D Doneky Kong, i'm afraid they would start pandering to DK64 nostalgia (Can't believe that exists) and we would start getting some of the awful reject DK64 cast back into the series and other tedious gameplay. I don't know if i'm on board with that or anything DK64 related. I would be okay with a faithful transition of the DKC games in 3D tho.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
The 3D Mario games are excellent but DK has so far only worked in 2D. If they do decide that they want to make another 3D Doneky Kong, i'm afraid they would start pandering to DK64 nostalgia (Can't believe that exists) and we would start getting some of the awful reject DK64 cast back into the series and other tedious gameplay. I don't know if i'm on board with that or anything DK64 related. I would be okay with a faithful transition of the DKC games in 3D tho.

Maybe it's made by Nintendo's internal studios? Maybe they can take some cues from Odyssey instead of DK64? If they give a go for such project there are lots of possible routes they can go. The thing is, there is huge demand for 3D platformers, sales for Ratchet, Crash and Spyro remakes showed that. Since Hal is too conservative to bring Kirby to 3D and Yoshi is now master of 2D Goodfeel's series, it's up to DK to enter new dimension.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
We need another DK '94. Let EPD Tokyo do it as the director of that game (Takao Shimizu) is there.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
in a better timeline we'd be getting Diddy's Kong Quest Returns: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3 by Retro Studios

instead we have to wait in perpetuity for another fucking Metroid game while Donkey Kong lingers in the void

Mar 9, 2018
HE doesn't even have to be named and people know who HE is.

HE is loved.

HE will return!

Firecrest

Oct 28, 2017
Tropical Freeze is probably still moving units, because Nintendo, so maybe in a year or two once sales hit a brick wall.

I REALLY want to see the series go 3D again so we can move on from DK64 (which wasn't all that bad IMO, just not great).

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I think a 3D Donkey Kong game can work, I'm no fan of DK64 either but they don't have to repeat the mistakes of that game.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DK could be great in 3D if they made it a linear platformer like Crash was.