• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

when do we start to call next gen (PS5, XSX/XSS) current gen?

• RIGHT NOW

Votes: 604 59.6%
  • in a few months/a year

Votes: 140 13.8%
  • when cross gen games stops being the norm and current gen fades

Votes: 186 18.4%
  • only when "I" get my next gen console

Votes: 46 4.5%
  • next gen doesn't start until Nintendo says so

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • when PS6 is released

Votes: 11 1.1%
  • we're in a pandemic and that's what you can think of?

Votes: 9 0.9%

• Total voters

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The answer is whenever you want to. I'm playing assassin's creed valhalla on my PC with a 3 year old GPU, the 1080 ti, and the 3900x and a NVMe SSD and a display with VRR. It runs very well, some things worse than XSX other things better.

I have a PS4 Pro, some have an Xbox One X.

Generations are blurred, much more like x86 PC variation of major upgraded parts.

I think the only people that feel a next gen bump are those with baseline PS4/Xbox one without SSD.
Demon's Souls is the best looking game ever right now, and a SSD in a PC is not the same thing as a SSD in a PS5

Valhalla is not a great judge of what a next-gen game can look like, and I doubt a 1080 ti runs it 4k60 like a XSX

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I LOL'd when this question came up on the latest Bombcast.

Seriously though, the answer is simple:

Thor 2: The Dark World

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
To me next gen became current gen on Nov 10th when the series consoles released had Sony released first it would've been whatever date that was. Once it's officially launched its current.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
I kinda wish we would stop with using those terms all together and instead refer consoles by the numbered generation they belong to.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
aren't next gen consoles current gen the day the release šŸ¤”

TortadeJamon

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
When there are enough good generation-exclusive games to justify it, so sometime in late 2022 or early 2023.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to be greedy, jealous, pout and say when I get it.

Or when I get around to remembering that the next generation has launched just this week.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
once the cross gen period ends, because for the foreseeable future you will hear "current gen" and "next gen" versions referring to ps4/xb1 and ps5/xsx. be pedantic about it all you want, but the reality is that's how most outlets will refer to these titles until the transition period is nearing the end.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Demon's Souls is the best looking game ever right now, and a SSD in a PC is not the same thing as a SSD in a PS5

Valhalla is not a great judge of what a next-gen game can look like, and I doubt a 1080 ti runs it 4k60 like a XSX

You're grasping at straws here.

1.5 GB/s random read IO to 4 GB/s isn't meaningful yet in games. There are NVMe SSDs on PC coming out that are faster and inevitably much faster. If we're going to fixate on 1 spec in a build and a factor of 2.67 warrants next gen, then going from Xbox Series S to X is next gen. I don't think it is. Going from 30 MB/s random disk IO to 1.5 or 4.0 GB/s is, it's a factor of 50-100. That's huge.

XSX has tearing issues btw.

Last edited:

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Technically now, but give it a few months until everyone's comfortable with it.

Jul 20, 2020
When there's wide adoption. It's still next gen to most gamers since most still have the last gen systems active.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
March 3rd, 2017 - For Switch
November 10th, 2020 - For Xbox Series X
November 12th, 2020 - for PS5.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're grasping at straws here.

1.5 GB/s random read IO to 4 GB/s isn't meaningful yet in games. There are NVMe SSDs on PC coming out that are faster and inevitably much faster. If we're going to fixate on 1 spec in a build and a factor of 2.67 warrants next gen, then going from Xbox Series S to X is next gen. I don't think it is. Going from 30 MB/s random disk IO to 1.5 or 4.0 GB/s is, it's a factor of 50-100. That's huge.

XSX has tearing issues btw.
I have a NVME SSD(well had until it shit the bed yesterday), and my load times on that aren't even close to PS5

The faster NVMe drives have bottlenecks elsewhere, even the fastest NVMe drives on PC aren't much faster than a SATA II when it comes to games

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I have a NVME SSD(well had until it shit the bed yesterday), and my load times on that aren't even close to PS5

The faster NVMe drives have bottlenecks elsewhere, even the fastest NVMe drives on PC aren't much faster than a SATA II when it comes to games

I'll take your word for it, though I think it depends on if the game actually is designed to use the speed which isn't the case until now. Doom loads instanty on PC.

I'm not diagreeing that there are aspects of consoles specs that significantly exceed mine, just overall aren't next gen for me. Next gen for me was when I got my 1080 ti. My next may be a 3080 ti. That's why in my initial post next gen is relative. Like my 3900x is over 2x faster but I don't think that's a factor.

Get samsung btw. I've build hundreds of servers with their SATA SSDs at least. They test and design everything in the SSD. 1 failure over hundreds in a decade.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll take your word for it, though I think it depends on if the game actually is designed to use the speed which isn't the case until now. Doom loads instanty on PC.

I'm not diagreeing that there are aspects of consoles specs that significantly exceed mine, just overall aren't next gen for me. Next gen for me was when I got my 1080 ti. My next may be a 3080 ti. That's why in my initial post next gen is relative. Like my 3900x is over 2x faster but I don't think that's a factor.

Get samsung btw. I've build hundreds of servers with their SATA SSDs at least. They test and design everything in the SSD. 1 failure over hundreds in a decade.
Yeah I'll probably replace it with a Samsung, it was an Intel in there before but it was preinstalled in the laptop

Only lasted 2 years

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Nextgen starts when Sony says, so now... Every please start saying current gen. We've had enough talk about nextgen.