• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

when do we start to call next gen (PS5, XSX/XSS) current gen?

• RIGHT NOW

Votes: 604 59.6%
  • in a few months/a year

Votes: 140 13.8%
  • when cross gen games stops being the norm and current gen fades

Votes: 186 18.4%
  • only when "I" get my next gen console

Votes: 46 4.5%
  • next gen doesn't start until Nintendo says so

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • when PS6 is released

Votes: 11 1.1%
  • we're in a pandemic and that's what you can think of?

Votes: 9 0.9%

• Total voters

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
With the release of XSX/XSS and PS5 today (sorry 2nd tier countries who have to wait one more week), comes the big question: when do we start to refer to these as current gen and PS4/XOne as last gen?

we're now in this grey zone when people starts to confuse what is current, what is old and what is next, so help me era what are the rules?

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Same as every other gen, it just happens gradually over time. We never previously set a date for it.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
When more PS5 / Series X only games release compared to PS4 / Xbox one games

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When the majority of third party games ditch the previous gen

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Now...
if you don't live in a region with staggered release schedules, maybe December when the thing actually release worldwide.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I usually use the next gen only COD as the way to determine whether or not a generation is current or not. With PS3/360, it happened in 2007, in XB1/PS4, it happened 2015. But yeah, there really is no answer to when it becomes current gen, it just happens gradually

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I'd say now. They're both available now, and the Switch has been for 3.5 years (although Nintendo are in their own world if you, for some reason, equal generations to power). Even though the PS5 hasn't released in some regions yet it's still available in a few big ones.

Homura

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 20, 2019
When the first next gen only game (which is not a remake) releases.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I already think of the PS4/XB1 as last-gen and I won't have a next-gen console until early next year.

Nov 3, 2017
When the PS4/XO were released, it took about a year to year and a half for them to be referred to as current gen. I expect the same here

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
The answer is whenever you want to. I'm playing assassin's creed valhalla on my PC with a 3 year old GPU, the 1080 ti, and the 3900x and a NVMe SSD and a display with VRR. It runs very well, some things worse than XSX other things better.

I have a PS4 Pro, some have an Xbox One X.

Generations are blurred, much more like x86 PC variation of major upgraded parts.

I think the only people that feel a next gen bump are those with baseline PS4/Xbox one without SSD.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I'll say when cross gen games are no longer holding us back. Because if someone is asking you what version of a game you have, a lot of people will still have to say last gen or next gen.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
My personal view of "next gen" is that it has arrived when most games for the new consoles are no longer being designed around the limitations of the previous console. I don't know how that definition will hold up this time since we are probably going to be stuck with cross-gen games for much longer than before.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They'll likely be called the "new" consoles for 4 months or so, then in like April or so they'll start being called current gen.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
My brain won't even process calling the new consoles current-gen for upwards to a year. Maybe by next holiday?

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
For me, as soon as a next-gen console is available in any region, it's now current-gen. So from Tuesday when Xbox launched.

Unless you're one of those weirdos who tries to push that Switch was the first next-gen console, then it started in 2017.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Last gen it took so long for the naming scheme to make the switch. To my mind it's last gen and current gen already, although no PS5 for me for another week.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It always annoys me when people are like "next gen consoles" when they've been out 1,2,3+ months. Basically it's now, even though the consoles aren't available everywhere just yet.

Mar 8, 2018
People will probably slowly stop saying next-gen over the course of the next year. Of course, the line between "next gen" and "current gen" is squishier this time than ever before, so it doesn't really matter.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I've been paying careful attention to call the PS4/XB1 "current gen" prior to Tuesday. Current gen is now PS5/XSX. We're here. We're living it haha

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely as of today. Or maybe next week for me since the PS5 hasn't dropped in the UK yet.

Either way, Xbox One and PS4 are definitively "last gen" for me now.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Now they are released, I called them "new gen" which isn't in the answers.
I am calling PS4/One old gen.

When new gen only games will became the norm (probably in one year), I will call it current gen.