• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Lmao at this Avengers stuff. Yes, in the campaign Kamala is largely the protagonist, but the game and marketing was not about her, it was not her game. It was an Avengers game, that was clearly what the game was trying to be and what it was marketed as. Might as well say Injustice 2 was the first one since Supergirl was largely the protagonist in that game's story mode.

If you can't see the difference between that type of game and something like Insomniac's Spider-Man or Rockseady's Arkham series, then you are wandering through the fog like a babe in the woods.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know if it would count as a super hero game, but I would love a game based on the recent She-ra cartoon on Netflix. Such a great cast of characters.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao at this Avengers stuff. Yes, in the campaign Kamala is largely the protagonist, but the game and marketing was not about her, it was not her game. It was an Avengers game, that was clearly what the game was trying to be and what it was marketed as. Might as well say Injustice 2 was the first one since Supergirl was largely the protagonist in that game's story mode.

If you can't see the difference between that type of game and something like Insomniac's Spider-Man or Rockseady's Arkham series, then you are wandering through the fog like a babe in the woods.
Forreal. People were being intentionally obtuse with that.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I hope America Chavez gets a glow up after Dr Strange 2 as she'd make an incredible video game protagonist. Kick ass brawler character that punches between dimensions.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Flip a coin after Spiderman 2
Heads: Spider Gwen (IF She shows up in the main game)
Tails: Venom

(Lands in the middle... Gwenom 👏👏)

😬

That and a Laura game after Wolverine 1, are our best bets

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Surprised that people don't think that Gravity Rush 2 was a AAA game. Looking up a few things, it sounds like it had a development time of around 4-5 years (3+ years from announcement to release, but it sounds like they had been working on it since soon after the first game's release). The credits has well over a hundred people listed for primary staff, not counting voice actors & musicians. They hired an anime studio to produce an standalone special episode just to help promote the game. It's one of the better looking games on the PS4 and was in fact one of the main games that Sony used to promote the capabilities of the PS4 Pro when that system came out.

Clearly, it didn't set records as being one of the most expensive AAA games of all time, but it seems to be firmly in the AAA camp. Also, I imagine Gravity Rush 1 was one of the more expensive to develop handheld games of its time.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Surprised that people don't think that Gravity Rush 2 was a AAA game. Looking up a few things, it sounds like it had a development time of around 4-5 years (3+ years from announcement to release, but it sounds like they had been working on it since soon after the first game's release). The credits has well over a hundred people listed for primary staff, not counting voice actors & musicians. They hired an anime studio to produce an standalone special episode just to help promote the game. It's one of the better looking games on the PS4 and was in fact one of the main games that Sony used to promote the capabilities of the PS4 Pro when that system came out.

Clearly, it didn't set records as being one of the most expensive AAA games of all time, but it seems to be firmly in the AAA camp. Also, I imagine Gravity Rush 1 was one of the more expensive to develop handheld games of its time.
I think by they meant mostly comic book characters.... Else there would be multiple games with female characters that would enter in that territory

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
If DC/Warner don't think a Wonder Woman game is viable then I don't think there is much hope. At least as far as making a game exclusively star a super hero woman that isn't adjacent to a man.
Heck, a stealth-action Black Widow game would've probably been more fitting for Crystal Dynamics after their work on the latest Tomb Raiders.
This is exactly what I thought when Avengers was announced!
samus is a superhero in my heart
And she was character assassinated in true cape comic fashion.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Insomniac's internal strife over Rivet's design seems more relevant to the topic at hand. I mean, yeah, a studios' internal culture is going affect things but I doubt they would skip over Gwen because of misogyny. Would it affect the final product both directly and indirectly? Most definitely.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Insomniac's internal strife over Rivet's design seems more relevant to the topic at hand. I mean, yeah, a studios' internal culture is going affect things but I doubt they would skip over Gwen because of misogyny. Would it affect the final product both directly and indirectly? Most definitely.
Either way, either Sony or the State of California (ideally both) need to step in & help clean up shop at Insomniac.

Jun 12, 2021
Gravity Rush and InFamous First light (although this is kind of a dlc/not a full game) were amazing and I'm surprised we haven't seen it attempted with DC or Marvel yet.
I would love a Wonder Woman game, I feel like there's an awesome moveset there with her shield, lasso and sword combinations. Seems like it'd be pretty damn cool.
A telltale game where you play as Mystique could be pretty cool too.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Blame Warner Bros for not pushing towards a video game DC universe after Arkham's huge success, Wonder Woman game made by Monolith would have been sick. Maybe Rocksteady will do it eventually though.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
OP isn't talking about spin-offs. Either original IP's with female leads or a licensed IP like Wonder Woman or Sailor Moon.
Is it really that broad? When I hear "superhero", I assume "American superhero comics or directly inspired media", not any super powered hero in a costume. For example, what makes Gravity Rush or inFamous: First Light superhero games?

Last edited:

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really that broad? When I hear "superhero", I assume "American superhero comics or directly inspired media", not any super powered hero in a costume. For example, what makes Gravity Rush a superhero game?
Idk, I know Sailor Moon was mentioned earlier in the thread. You're right though that American comics typically come to mind first when I think of superheroes.

Jun 12, 2021
God of war style Wonder Woman would make the big bucks
It would definitely get my money. It doesn't even need to be rated M. You can just make her hits sound and feel brutal like the first two Arkham games. The audio on all of her moves in Injustice 2 come to mind for me.

She's got so many weapons and abilities. She'd make a perfect playable video game character.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Arguing in bad faith, dismissing representation concerns
And the game is pretty clearly called Avengers, next.
Zelda is totally the main character of The Legend of Zelda, right? Her name is pretty clearly in the title. And I can't wait to play as Metroid in the upcoming Metroid Dread!

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I've always wanted a Kitty Pryde game.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I remember wishing after Arkham City, that Catwoman would get her own standalone game after her DLC. She was so much fun to play as

I'd love a female superhero game. Hope we get a good one soon

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
People love to hand out tiny slices of representation. Kamala is the closest thing to a narrative protagonist in Avengers, but you also are forced to spend LARGE portions of the game as every character, the majority of which were male.

"When will there be a game like Arkham or Spiderman with a woman lead"
Response: "What about this game where you spend about a third of it as two different women?"

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is it really that broad? When I hear "superhero", I assume "American superhero comics or directly inspired media", not any super powered hero in a costume. For example, what makes Gravity Rush or inFamous: First Light superhero games?

Because both Gravity Rush & inFamous are clearly patterned after superhero comics & movies even if they're original creations. Like with Gravity Rush, a large part of the story is Kat coming to terms with her superpowers, using them to help the townsfolk, and people starting to trust her & cheer for her heroics. Her skillset is very much structured like a traditional superhero (everything's gravity power related), whereas most videogame heroes have more general powers that aren't as tightly themed. You also get segments where she loses her powers which is a very common superhero trope.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to be funny or be an ass but… who? I assume you must be joking. You can't be asking for a game about whoever that is before, I don't know, Wonder Woman? The only squirrel girl I know is a fighter in guilty gear or blaze blue (I forget which).
Squirrel Girl is a well regarded female Marvel superhero. Someone could make a pretty good game with her.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
To build off of Sandfox's post, Squirrel Girl is a recurring character of the Marvel Universe introduced in 1991 (honestly, I thought she was a lot older). She's known for her unusual powers and her stories being among the more overtly comedic of Marvel's superhero imprint.

She's also known for canonically defeating Marvel big bad Thanos and having it officially verified by a Watcher. The tenet of her appeal for many is that she's really, really strong for someone who looks like a joke character. In a medium where power discussions rule the roost, all ultimately bow before her. She's just too friendly/lazy/crazy to really do much with that knowledge unless she has to.

Based on their post history, I can safely say MondoMega is not joking. A Squirrel Girl game could be good fun, and its hypothetical existence doesn't really preclude the existence of a Wonder Woman game, especially considering the respective characters are owned by entirely different companies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Not trying to be funny or be an ass but… who? I assume you must be joking. You can't be asking for a game about whoever that is before, I don't know, Wonder Woman? The only squirrel girl I know is a fighter in guilty gear or blaze blue (I forget which).
Galactus.jpg

Squirrel Girl is a super popular Marvel character; a game starring her could be great. I'm shocked they haven't announced plans for her MCU introduction.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In this house we love and respect Eisner award winning comic ongoing The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl by Ryan North and Erica Henderson.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Yeah, we're not really exclusively discussing the "most likely" games, so I see no harm in broaching the subject. Squirrel Girl isn't a nobody in the comics.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Would a female Thor game count? We already had a meh male Thor game, but maybe after the next Thor movie we can get a good Thor game with female Thor...

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Not before the likes of Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, She-Hulk, any of the X-Women get a game first. I see no universe where Squirrel Girl gets a game before any of those characters get a game first.
Squirrel Girl is actually more popular than characters like She-Hulk and a lot of the X-Women. Earlier this week we learned the only reason she isn't in the MCU is because of homophobia from one of the decision makers. She was originally going to show up before all of the characters you mentioned.