• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill would be nice. I don't think anything will be as big as final fantasy vii. Things like ocarina of time and majoras mask have been remastered but maybe if they had a big leap in graphics those would be good candidates. I'd personally like to see Phantasy Star Online redone and I guess Golden eye again lol. Grandia II and Xenosaga I would be nice but super far fetched but I'd still want it. Silent HIll 3 or any of the old Silent Hills is a good candidate though, but in terms of impact I don't think anything tops Final Fantasy VII that already doesn't have a remake or is fine in the form its in.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo needs to remaster Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 for Switch

They are 2 of the greatest games of all time. I would gladly take that over porting over the Zelda GameCube remasters from Wii U to switch.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda OoT and then have the story tie directly into Zelda MM into one seamless world using the BOTW engine would be a gamechanger!!

The slogan could be: "Only on Nintendo switch 4K!"

What would be better if it could be ported to a Playstation 5 or a PC like four five years down the road.

Oct 27, 2017
I think from a realistic 'could this actually happen' standpoint RE4 being remade in REengine would be the same level of hype. Can't see another RPG being remade like this due to the insane amount of time and money.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
After finally playing the amazing Resident Evil 2 I want a similar Resident Evil 1 remake

And Super Metroid.

And The Last Ninja.

And Secret of Mana.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
There's actually a few:

MGS, MGS3, Chrono Trigger, Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Half Life 2 and Resident Evil 4.

I think that SOTN, Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are close in quality, but not in popularity.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Of the games that haven't had a true remake, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, Eternal Darkness, or Xenosaga

maybe chrono chross? Though it never got its time to shine due to when it released

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if there's anything comparable. FFVII is a relic from that 2D -> 3D transitional era; a huge world, but one that was only glimpsed at through the lens of PSX graphics, pre-rendered backgrounds, fixed camera angles and that particular 'giant character models on a tiny overworld' look of JRPGs of the era. The remake is taking all those disparate visual styles and bringing it to life in full modern 3D with all the budget Square can throw at it. It's no longer the illusion of a huge world held back by the technology of the time, but the whole thing done for 'real' this time, for lack of a better world.

I feel like that's a whole different thing from something like, say, Metal Gear Solid or Super Mario 64. Any game that was already a rendered 3D world isn't going to be the same grand revelation with a remake. You can make it bigger, better-looking, with better controls, but it's just going to feel like an updated version (especially with anything from the PS2 era onwards).

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
Maybe not on the level of FFVII, as that's a fire stoked for almost two decades by every gaming enthusiast I know, but these would turn some heads

Chrono Trigger
Elder Scrolls III Morrowind
X-Wing/TIE Fighter
Mother 3
Metal Gear Solid
Grand Theft Auto 3 and/or Vice City
Half Life 1 and/or 2
Final Fantasy VI
Super Metroid
Diablo II
Warcraft I and/or II
Ocarina of Time

Not saying these would be good/better than the originals, in fact I believe most wouldn't, but it would definitely get people talking

I'd personally love to see Nintendo give Golden Sun a complete remake from someone other than Camelot, but admit that's very low on most anyone's list but my own lol

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
My #1 would be Demon's Souls, which may actually be happening.

Others would include Witcher 1&2 and Tie Fighter.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Corridor 7 could be manipulated to be a high profile remake by the marketing team lol.

I prefer new games.

Gouf

May 17, 2018
I know it realistically wouldn't be the correct answer for the general gaming audience, but a full on remake of the original game on the scale of something like FF7 Remake would be be absolutely insane. Probably the only thing that I'd want more is a Xenogears remake.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
MGS or Half Life are the main two that come to mind, in terms of doing a FFVII style remake where they expand on the original.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
This must be stated before anything else:

The 'hype' for the FFVII Remake is powered by more than just the (incredible) admiration of game the question. It was amplified by years and years of poor or misguided communication, strategic planning, and project management by Square Enix.

The road this hype train has traveled on stretches back to a CG demo made to promote the PS3 before it even came out.

In any case, a Metal Gear Solid or Half Life remake, framed as a carefully calculated relaunch of their respective franchise, would be huge.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I'm not sure there is another game that really compares in terms of it's place in the cultural mindset - it's a true anomaly. Ocarina of Time had massive impact in the same period - MGS too - but players have been able to revisit those worlds and characters in successive titles since then.

FFVII's world and characters, to all sensible intents, have been locked in its original iteration for over two decades. RE2/3 are the only comparable titles in the same terms, but then again, Leon, Claire and Jill have have had new games since the PS1.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Metal Gear 1 and 2
Chrono Trigger
The Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Half-Life
Metal Gear Solid 1
Demon's Souls

Comandr

Feb 14, 2018
As important of a remake..? I'm not sure. FF7 is an important game for a number of reasons and the amount of love and care going into bringing that world back is staggering. I honestly can't think of another remake announcement that would have the same degree of sheer FRENZY that FF7R did.

That said, I'd love to see Sonic Adventure remade, complete with a mobile chao garden companion app. Please keep the original lip sync animation data though.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think there is anything that could have as big as an impact at FFVIIR to be remade. It's just always been one of those games that people have desperately wanted a remake of and now it is finally happening and it actually looks amazing, hype levels are through the roof on this. Also Final Fantasy is a weird one in that it doesn't really have sequels so the story of FFVII was largely contained in that one single game for most people. Most other games if they are successful have all sorts of sequels and follow ups so you always get to revisit the world and characters but we haven't really had that with FFVII, there hasn't really been a FFVII-2 unless you count Advent Children.

Me personally I would like a remake of FFXI, don't tell me thats what FFXIV is because it is not.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
MGS will never happen the way people want it to. They need to make peace with the Twin Snakes version or attempt to do a massive overhaul mod themselves on it.

My vote is for Chrono Trigger or FF6. They don't truly need a remake either but I would like to see it reimagined in 3D. A game that I think needs it that has no remake at all is the first silent hills. It would need a complete remake like FF7 to be playable now

Super Mario Sunshine. Done right, a remake of this game could redeem a fairly disappointing and middling game by 3D Mario standards into something quite special. Plus who doesn't want to revisit the glorious vistas and cutscenes the game is renowned for but in HD!
Sunshine with modern water and lighting techniques would be insane.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there is anything that could have as big as an impact at FFVIIR to be remade. It's just always been one of those games that people have desperately wanted a remake of and now it is finally happening and it actually looks amazing, hype levels are through the roof on this. Also Final Fantasy is a weird one in that it doesn't really have sequels so the story of FFVII was largely contained in that one single game for most people. Most other games if they are successful have all sorts of sequels and follow ups so you always get to revisit the world and characters but we haven't really had that with FFVII, there hasn't really been a FFVII-2 unless you count Advent Children.

Me personally I would like a remake of FFXI, don't tell me thats what FFXIV is because it is not.
Don't forget DoC :p

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chrono Trigger - DQXI style: I would buy whatever platform had this.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing that I can think of that would be in the same ballpark would be a massively improved remake of Minecraft many years after they stop updating it. Most of the other games that might have worked (very popular game at the beginning of the 3D era) have already gotten remakes like Tomb Raider & the Resident Evil games.