• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Halo 5 is many thing but sluggish and restrictive are not them. It's honestly hard to play older Halo titles (that I love) after playing Halo 5 cause of how much more smooth it is.

But it's not. The expanded move set in theory is supposed to speed the games up but it restricts what you can do where aa in 1-3 you can move in any direction and perform any function while still being able to shoot. The base move speed in 1-3 is also faster than the sprint speed in 5.

It's just a synonym for "insincere". I've used it, and heard it used in conversation long before resetera existed.

If you're making some sort of really arch joke, I just fell for it.
That was definitely a good joke lol

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I hate Halo 5. It's so sluggish and restrictive and completely deviated from what made the series enjoyable. The MP is just as terrible as the campaign. All around poor package and it only compounded the MCC's mark on the series.
I would say halo 5 gives you the most free form movement in the series with the dash the ledge grabbing etc.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I would say halo 5 gives you the most free form movement in the series with the dash the ledge grabbing etc.

The dashing and ledge grabbing slow the game down. On paper they should make the game faster paced but they don't. You aren't able to shoot or throw grenades while doing any of the expanded skills in 5. Maps being built around this move set only exacerbated the issue.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
But it's not. The expanded move set in theory is supposed to speed the games up but it restricts what you can do where aa in 1-3 you can move in any direction and perform any function while still being able to shoot. The base move speed in 1-3 is also faster than the sprint speed in 5.

Even if the base speed of 1-3 were technically faster, you still feel so much more restrictive in how you move around the environment and how you engage and disengage out of fights.

In Halo 1 - 4 it often feels like your an action figure with way too much glue stuck in the joints.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Hunt the Truth podcast series is one of my favorite pieces of Halo media. It's legitimately intense, suspenseful, wonderfully character-driven and unexpectedly dark. It paints this really engrossing picture of humanity being, in some cases, it's own sinister enemy, as well as going back into the origin of the Spartans.

I quite like Halo 5 overall, but the podcast was of a certain direction and writing quality that I was expecting the game to match and didn't quite feel it did. I expect that was less because they were aiming to mislead anyone but rather that game dev has it's own realities to face and I expect the creative teams for the podcast and the game were not the same and interested in tackling their own perspective.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Even if the base speed of 1-3 were technically faster, you still feel so much more restrictive in how you move around the environment and how you engage and disengage out of fights.

In Halo 1 - 4 it often feels like your an action figure with way too much glue stuck in the joints.

That's simply not the case. Halo 5 has the facade of being a faster paced game because you would think sprint, thrusters, and climbing afforded you every player would do that. But it's smoke and mirrors. Being able to move and jump in any direction without restriction with a faster base move speed results in a faster and better paced experience.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
That's simply not the case. Halo 5 has the facade of being a faster paced game because you would think sprint, thrusters, and climbing afforded you every player would do that. But it's smoke and mirrors. Being able to move and jump in any direction without restriction with a faster base move speed results in a faster and better paced experience.

But not really? In my years of experience of playing all the games, I felt like I had more tools in Halo 5 to navigate my environments then any game in the series. In the other games, including Halo Reach, matches feel like they take forever due to how long it can take to get back into the fight. Whereas in Halo 5 it felt like I could quickly navigate the environment to get into the fight with ease.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Halo 5 is many thing but sluggish and restrictive are not them. It's honestly hard to play older Halo titles (that I love) after playing Halo 5 cause of how much more smooth it is.
Halo 5 is sluggish and restrictive compared to the other games once the facade of faster mobility wears off and you realize that in order to balance the game around sprint they had to make the maps much larger, meaning movement is the slowest here than it is in the OG series and its restrictive because its movement is the most limiting of the OG series because you can't operate at full speed while shooting, meleeing, and grenading. Nor can you climb and get around the level as quickly either.

Hal0 5 gives you the perception of being smooth compared to the other games, while being anything but.

Obligatory

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
But not really? In my years of experience of playing all the games, I felt like I had more tools in Halo 5 to navigate my environments then any game in the series. In the other games, including Halo Reach, matches feel like they take forever due to how long it can take to get back into the fight. Whereas in Halo 5 it felt like I could quickly navigate the environment to get into the fight with ease.

But Halo 5s matches were significantly slower because of the enhanced mobility. Part of it is that you can sprint and navigate away, but it's also because whenever you use any of those abilities, you're no longer able to engage. Something that doesn't happen in 1-3.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
But Halo 5s matches were significantly slower because of the enhanced mobility. Part of it is that you can sprint and navigate away, but it's also because whenever you use any of those abilities, you're no longer able to engage. Something that doesn't happen in 1-3.

Sorry, from my personal experience that just simply isn't the truth. To me Halo 5 was much faster.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The squad gameplay was the problem IMO. Should of been a couple levels or something. After playing Reach today, it made me realize it's almost the same....
Halo 5 multiplayer on the other hand is still the best this gen along with Titanfall 1. Just needed better designed maps and modes. BTB especially. It needed another year but MS needed a Halo out at the time. That's my opinion I guess.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I feel like it's the same video every time. Fact is when actually in a match, not just in an empty lobby, it actually makes a difference.

But it doesn't. These are things that are reflected in gameplay. It's not like the abilities exist in vacuum where they would still be problems. Levels were made larger to accommodate sprint and jumps were made higher to accommodate clamber.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
But it doesn't. These are things that are reflected in gameplay. It's not like the abilities exist in vacuum where they would still be problems. Levels were made larger to accommodate sprint and jumps were made higher to accommodate clamber.

I played Reach just a bit ago on PC. To just get to get to the cap in Slayer felt like I was playing Rainbow Six Siege it was so slow.

But I never felt that in Halo 5, at times it felt like matches ended too quickly.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I played Reach just a bit ago on PC. To just get to get to the cap in Slayer felt like I was playing Rainbow Six Siege it was so slow.

But I never felt that in Halo 5, at times it felt like matches ended too quickly.

Well for comparisons sake I've been comparing 5 to 1-3. Data seems to reinforce that 5 is a significantly slower game than 3, for example. And I'm not just using my anecdote where I would say a frustrating amount of games in Halo 5 ended on time.

It usually is the same video. But hey, it wouldn't be an internet argument without confirmation bias.

It's the same video because it does in a little over a minute what countless others take much more time to explain. That's not confirmation bias.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Well for comparisons sake I've been comparing 5 to 1-3. Data seems to reinforce that 5 is a significantly slower game than 3, for example. And I'm not just using my anecdote where I would say a frustrating amount of games in Halo 5 ended on time.

Those are professional matches and isn't the experience of the average player. I'm not going up against Professionals who plays slower deliberately. My matches of Halo 5 were hectic and quick.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Not having the main character's voice match the actor (I think he wasnt available for reshoots). Those weird walk around sections felt like they should have been part of something larger and more open. I dunno, just kind of a feeling.

The fact the game ends on a cliff hanger and it's still unresolved 4 years later is strange. Not showing Chief meeting up with Blue team, how undercooked alot of the story elements are and the small number of Chief missions. The reclaimer trilogy was a thing when Halo 4 released but they dropped that on the run up to Halo 5. The marketing not matching the game also adds to the feeling.

Lots of little things, nothing substantial.
Halo 5s a great game technically and the multiplayer is amazing. There's just something about the campaign that doesn't add up.

I'd love to see a post mortem.

Yea same. Halo 5 Campaign felt... like it should've been more or something else. Idk. Maybe I'm imagining it. I know there was a intense crunch for Halo 5, I'm guessing some story bits and etc were shifted and things changed, leading to the difference between marketing and the actual game.

But yea, super disappointing. Hopefully Halo Infinite delivers.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
How does that in any way refute the time discrepancies?

...You do realize not everyone playing Halo is a MLG player right? you don't watch a professional match of League of Legends, Call of Duty, and Overwatch and then assume that is the experience of the average player.

Differences in meta and such as determined by game balance can go a long way in determining the pace of professional play that can vary greatly in comparison to the play styles of casual players.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like it's the same video every time. Fact is when actually in a match, not just in an empty lobby, it actually makes a difference.
I'm so confused how you can say that with this video. Its the same video everytime because people keep trying to make the same (wrong) argument everytime. If you enjoy the general feel of sprinting and clamber, etc thats perfectly fine. But its still slower and more restrictive than the OG halo trilogy.

...You do realize not everyone playing Halo is a MLG player right? you don't watch a professional match of League of Legends, Call of Duty, and Overwatch and then assume that is the experience of the average player.

Differences in meta and such as determined by game balance can go a long way in determining the pace of professional play that can vary greatly in comparison to the play styles of casual players.
The issues in that video are not at all predicated on skillset. They are a universal movement and ability nerf for everyone, of all skill levels.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

What does that have to do with anything? You realize that both maps in this spreadsheet are remakes of midship, right? If Halo 5 was truly the faster paced game, matches should be ending faster.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
What does that have to do with anything? You realize that both maps in this spreadsheet are remakes of midship, right? If Halo 5 was truly the faster paced game, matches should be ending faster.

Your looking at this very oddly. Professional players aren't going to play like your average "headless-chicken" players. The difference in play styles of players has a huge effect in the speed of a match.

But all your argument is that: "They're on the same map! Therefore it should be quicker!" which ignores other factors.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Yea same. Halo 5 Campaign felt... like it should've been more or something else. Idk. Maybe I'm imagining it. I know there was a intense crunch for Halo 5, I'm guessing some story bits and etc were shifted and things changed, leading to the difference between marketing and the actual game.

But yea, super disappointing. Hopefully Halo Infinite delivers.
I know it's only a very small part of the game, but that introductory cutscene they put out for Infinite a while back didn't give me much hope. It seemed to lean into the aspects of 343 era Halo I've generally not enjoyed, and certainly didn't capture the sense of grandeur I'm looking for in the opening scene of a Halo game.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Your looking at this very oddly. Professional players aren't going to play like your average "headless-chicken" players. The difference in play styles of players has a huge effect in the speed of a match.

But all your argument is that: "They're on the same map! Therefore it should be quicker!" which ignores other factors.
Again we can time just general movement speed from game to game to determine speed and those videos already evidence the previous games were quicker because maps were smaller and required less time to travel between. And thats not even getting into clamber and the ability to take firefights while moving at top speed as well.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

Your argument only makes sense if that spreadsheet was comparing regular players to professional players. But that isn't the case, it's comparing similarly skilled players. The game's speed isn't something exclusive to one level of players. It's being reflected at this level and is reflected below as well. The game is in general slower than previous entries. There's many reasons for that and they all tie into each other. But they aren't exclusive to certain skill brackets.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Hunt the Truth is right up there with I Love Bees for me. I have more fond memories of both of those pieces than the campaigns they came with.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The base move speed in 1-3 is also faster than the sprint speed in 5.
LOL what

This is just a terribly false thing to say. Halo 3's movement speed is slow as molasses. If this is one of those "it's technically faster because the maps are stretched in 5" points, then still nah. Doesn't change the fact that 3 is S L O W.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
LOL what

This is just a terribly false thing to say. Halo 3's movement speed is slow as molasses. If this is one of those "it's technically faster because the maps are stretched in 5" points, then still nah. Doesn't change the fact that 3 is S L O W.
We literally posted the video twice haha

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We literally posted the video twice haha
Ah, so it is just one of those "stretched maps" points.

Again, doesn't change the fact that if we talk purely gameplay - put a Halo 3 model and a Halo 5 model in the same game - the Halo 5 player with sprint will run circles around the map before a Halo 3 player will do a single lap.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
LOL what

the map stretching matters a lot

I misspoke on base movement speed but even then, the sprint on unit runs isn't drastically faster than 3's regular movement speed.

Last edited:

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
If this is not false advertising, then what do you call this?
00:38

The narrator clearly says: "We created him, so we are responsible when he kills civilians"
This was not an abstract trailer like the one with the Chief killing Locke or viceversa, this trailer was telling a story, a false story because MC doesnt kill civilians in the campaign.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah, so it is just one of those "stretched maps" points.

Again, doesn't change the fact that if we talk purely gameplay - put a Halo 3 model and a Halo 5 model in the same game - the Halo 5 player with sprint will run circles around the map before a Halo 3 player will do a single lap.
Because that would be breaking the game. Idk why it matters that you can run faster in halo 5 when the maps are stretched out larger resulting in longer travel times than the games where your movement speed is slower. And thats not even getting into climbing (which is slower in Halo 5), or that sprint prevents shield regen which further prolongs gameplay and fights since you have to spend more downtime recharging shields whereas before shields started the recharge timer as soon as you stop taking damage, regardless of movement.
Halo 5 is a slower game than the OT halo games. Its not debatable. You might enjoy it better and personally feel like its faster, but it isn't.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Just one of those weird cases where the marketing was actually locked in with the fans and new exactly what they wanted to see. Unfortunately the writers for halo 5 did not have the same insight haha.

Oct 27, 2017

The narrator clearly says: "We created him, so we are responsible when he kills civilians"
This was not an abstract trailer like the one with the Chief killing Locke or viceversa, this trailer was telling a story, a false story because MC doesnt kill civilians in the campaign.

It's technically telling the story that the UNSC thinks the Chief is releasing the Guardians. The Guardians do kill civilians.

Chief was sighted at the sites where Guardians were awakened, even in the final game. It's just very under explained in the actual game. Even the Chief going rogue because he saw a blue light feels dumb in the context it's presented in the game.

"Chief was late for work today"
"He must've gone AWOL and turned against all humanity. Send a team to bring him down."

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017

Didn't it happen before the campaign? I remember Hunt the Truth mentioning it. Plus IIRC, that was a coverup story made up by ONI.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

I'm really late to this discussion, but play the new mythic playlist in Halo 5. It ditches sprint, but keeps thrust and tweaks base attributes. It doesn't feel like it takes forever to "get back to the fight" because there's are no animation that take your or your enemies out of the fight in the first place. With less time stuck in animations that prevent you from shooting or looking independently from where you are moving, you spend way for time actually dealing damage.

It plays much faster than vanilla H5. Matches end more quickly. Even CTF matches end faster despite the increased the number of caps required for a win. Spartan Abilities make you feel like your playing a faster game- but it's an illusion that lives because sprinting and dashing are a reprieve from the relatively slow base movement on relatively large maps.

I noticed your issue with some of the data presented to you and I'm not sure I understand why you'd assume MLG players wouldn't be representative of how game design effects match speed. These players have perfected map knowledge and movement in both games. They move and act more quickly than the average player. As such, You can expect the delta between match lengths for average H3 players and average H5 to be more exaggerated than MLG players. This is because H5's abilities provide numerous ways to prolong engagements. And these abilities are easier to execute than they are to counter.

Last edited:

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
As others have said, it likely just comes down to the fact that the marketing was given some information about the game's story but not the whole picture, and so made a marketing campaign out of the information they were given, much like what happened with i love bees and Halo 3's ARG. It happens all the time, unfortunately.
IIRC I swore there was something about them having changed the story at some point.

You can see this in both the comics and HTT wherein both were setting up a plot lines following Halo 4 but then was suddenly shifted. Like IIRC the plan was for Cortana really to die in Halo 4 and that was that and they would have really gone deep into the Forerunner stuff the books had been setting up but after people complained that the games were getting too heavily reliant on the EU material, they swerved HARD in the other direction dropping plot lines like they were flies to suddenly set up a brand new story. So with HTT they basically were told the story would be one thing when behind the scenes it was already changing.

The Didact was supposed to be a longer running villain but then was dealt with in the comics because it would get in the way of the new story.
I still don't know why tf they killed off Jul 'Mdama ceremoniously at the beginning of 5 - without him ever meeting MC - when he was one of the better parts of Halo 4's story, even without getting into the dumb Cortana stuff and the decision to pull a Halo 2 but have the second playable character not only have more playtime than Chief, but be completely boring instead of a fully fleshed out character like Thel/the Arbiter (and I don't pin any of that on Ike Amadi, who probably had no say in the material and - as seen with Javik - is a great VA when given the right stuff to work with). Just baffling story decisions all around.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The trailers for Locke hunting down the Chief were pretty interesting, as well as that trailer of the Chief being alone in the desert, was it just the cinematic team having fun i wonder, because it's fair to say the story was nothing like those trailers.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Others have already mentioned it, but it really felt like they made a last minute change that swerved the story in an entirely different direction than the marketing/books were headed towards.