• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best current Star Wars game?

• Jedi Fallen Order

Votes: 339 69.5%
  • Star Wars Battlefront 2

Votes: 55 11.3%
  • Star Wars Squadrons

Votes: 94 19.3%

• Total voters

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Well I guess it depends it depends on what you are looking for in a game.
If it's a single player campaign then handsdown Jedi Fallen Order.
If it's multiplayer then I guess it depends on your tastes.
I'm sure Battlefront has recovered a bit from its launch debacle?
Didnt spend much time with Squadrons yet though.

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I guess it depends it depends on what you are looking for in a game.
Basically getting games as gifts for two kids, one 12 and the other 16. Wanted to get everyone's opinions.

Decided to give them two Marvel games (Miles Morales and Avengers) and two star wars games.

Jedi Fallen Order I heard has a great story but don't know if the Dark Souls combat will be difficult, also had some launch bugs that have hopefully been worked out.

Battlefront 2 I remember had a lot of controversy with loot boxes, bugs and low content, but have also heard those have been fixed since.

I know nothing about Squadrons except that it's great in VR.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
All of them have their strengths and weaknesses, but I ended up going for Squadrons because there simply isn't anything else like it that's currently available on the AAA market.

And, by all accounts, it was made on limited time and budget, and I'm kind of grateful that a combat flight sim like this even exists in 2020. Let alone with the extra benefits of full VR support, cross play and a budget launch price.

It's also the one that I most want to see a sequel out of the three.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Overall it's easily Battlefront 2. Hard to top that package with a solid campaign, starfighter assault and tons of ground battle options.

The immersion of Squadrons is the best a star wars game ever had. Playing this in VR is amazing, but it's a bit too light on content. It needs more game modes.

Jedi Fallen Order is just a cluster fuck of everything that was cool in the last ten years (souls-like, Uncharted, Metroidvania, cinematic presentation, RPG elements) without being really good in anything.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fallen Order, although Battlefront II is in a great state if you look multi games. Shame support stopped.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
They all fill different roles so it really comes down to what you want out of them. Personally I am enjoying Squadrons a ton, but I have yet to play Fallen Order.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Jedi Fallen Order I heard has a great story but don't know if the Dark Souls combat will be difficult
There are different difficulties and I don't think the first two settings should be much problem for teenagers, if they are used to games.
(Hell might as well make them play on hard, get them ready for FromSoft games)

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I quite enjoyed the Battlefront II campaign, but I adored Fallen Order, so that gets my vote.

I haven't played Squadrons yet, mind!

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Basically getting games as gifts for two kids, one 12 and the other 16. Wanted to get everyone's opinions.

Decided to give them two Marvel games (Miles Morales and Avengers) and two star wars games.

Jedi Fallen Order I heard has a great story but don't know if the Dark Souls combat will be difficult, also had some launch bugs that have hopefully been worked out.

Battlefront 2 I remember had a lot of controversy with loot boxes, bugs and low content, but have also heard those have been fixed since.

Im sure it'll be fine for a kid but tbh Avengers is very mediocre and bad. I'd stick with MM for sure and Fallen Order also has difficulty modes unlike Souls games.

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im sure it'll be fine for a kid but tbh Avengers is very mediocre and bad. I'd stick with MM for sure and Fallen Order also has difficulty modes unlike Souls games.
I know, but he's a big Avengers fan so I don't know if him just wailing about with Hulk and Iron man will do it for him. Maybe at 16 he's more discerning, I'm not sure.

The younger girl already has Plants vs Zombies Neighbourville so I'm guessing that battlefront isn't that much more of a leap? Hopefully the whole playing as an Empire soldier shooting rebels isn't distressing.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Squadrons is a fantastic package that is both a fitting love letter to the franchise and the series' past flight sims.

All three are good, though.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Squadrons is fun and unique and BF 2 is an enjoyable multiplayer experience. FO on the other hand is your standard single player romp that doesn't really add to anything.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I have a love hate relationship with JFO. The level design of the worlds is clearly built around his powers, which makes them unbelievable as an immersive real world. It's looks were remarkably awful at times, and it just felt like it needed more time in development.
It was a fun game though, if you could get over these large negatives.

Either of the other two are a better choice, but both have their own issues. Battlefront has at least turned itself around, and squadrons does exactly what it says on the tin.

The real answer is the cancelled Amy Hennig game.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Fallen Order is the most solid but a technical mess and honestly has a bit too much filler backtracking that can make it kind of tedious

Battlefront is an excellent package but they clearly overextended themselves with the scope of the whole thing considering the amount of support they were willing to offer each game mode post launch.

Squadrons is great. But dont go in expecting it to be like other flight games, thsres a lot more micro managing of your fighters system that's can really define a battle.

I'd rank them in the above order but truth be told I played Battlefront far more than the others. Its multiplayer bits a very easy multiplayer. I dont have to sweat whenever I turn it on.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Absolutely 100% Squadrons. It's like a modern version of X-Wing and TIE Fighter. All thee games are pretty good though. I think I'd give the edge to Fallen Order's single player over Battlefront 2's.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Battlefront 1 (2015) had great gameplay but not enough content. Battlefront 2 has great content but lesser gameplay to the 2015 game (weirdly). Both games end up leaving you feeling a bit empty.

Haven't played Squadrons.

Fallen Order was pretty great apart from some performance issues (on base PS4).

I'd say whichever is cheaper brtween Battlefront 2 and Fallen Order - grab that (opinion based on what I've played).

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I like this answer tbh, even if I've only played BF2.

But for the purposes of this thread I will stan BF2. It's a fun arcade shooter and a love letter to Star Wars; the supremacy mode is just a blast. I never played it at launch but now it's a great Star Wars game--loot boxes getting excised only made it better. It's the sort of game that never should have happened and it's all the better for it.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Battlefront 2 without a doubt. It's one of the only current gen games I don't mind playing alone. Very impressed how they turned it around after stumbling at bit at launch. Top 5 Star Wars game for me.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
They're all so different. So hard to lump them together.

I will say BattleFront 2. Even tho Fallen Order is the better game to me. But Battlefront feels like star wars. Fallen Order just feels like a great game that happens to have a star wars skin on it.

Fallen Order will pop ur nostalgia pimple here and there. But Battlefront 2 does it constantly. From the familiar locales, audio, tons of characters etc.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Fallen order is fantastic. Performance was a bit crap at points, but not an issue anymor on more powerful consoles.

I loved that it was a bit old school, and felt like a game? If that makes sense.

Jan 4, 2018
They're all very good but Battlefront 2 is the best one with the incredible post-launch support it got.

The feels.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Fallen Order is just great, it's everything I could want from a Star Wars action-adventure game. Loved it!

I haven't played Squadrons yet but it looks pretty cool too.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
KOTOR 2, if you don't mind the ending being nonexistent, is the absolute best.
On modern consoles I'd say Jedi Outcast, even tho is painful to play, or SW racer.
If you MUST consider one fron the last 5 years...Battlefront 2. It's competent and not broken, which already makes it leagues better than the debacle of Fallen Order. I'll try FO on XsX to see if it's better with a steady frame-rate and acceptable loading times but...2019 dissappointment for sure.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Fallen Order is fine. It's not particularly great or anything, but I had a mostly good time with it. Your kid will enjoy it.

Also, the "Souls"-like element of it is mostly pre-release hype. It's nothing like Souls games besides the respawn mechanic, I guess. It's much easier and it's mostly just a linear, cinematic third person action game like Uncharted and others like it. So don't worry about the difficulty.

I haven't played the other two you mention.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Squadrons is great but is primarily an online multiplayer game. The combat in Fallen Order isn't difficult and it has difficulty settings anyway.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
The one that's not even in the list...

SWTOR

Yeah I still love it, don't hate me

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
I have them all and it's easily Fallen Order, but having played that game on both a launch day XBO as well as an X1X, I can understand why others who played on a base XBO or PS4 last gen wouldn't dig it -- it's ugly and more of a technical mess there.

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017
Squadrons in VR is the one that gave me the best feeling of immersing myself IN a Star Wars experience. Looking around the cockpit, feeling the excitement of a last minute dodge out of barrage of shots coming at me, chasing a TIE Fighter into a trap, seeing in first person the massive scale of some of the ships. That's just something no other game can ever match.

Just game play wise, for several hours of single player or multiple hours in multiplayer, it's also just good fun and offers a lot of things to improve upon so you can start doing some great maneuvers. As long as you are okay with something that is more fight sim and not expecting a Rogue Squadron (it's not that at all).

Speaking of VR however, Vader Immortal is also a solid experience that is a current game. If you enjoy Darth Vader and want one extra good story with him, or expand out of one of the Marvel comics Darth Vader series from not long ago, it's worth picking up if you have an Oculus headset.
It's an interactive story rather than a game, but don't ignore it.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played the others, but Battlefront II is really fun online. I don't know what it was like at launch but levels are big and battles feel exciting and evolve as the fight goes on, and the graphics and tech powering it are really impressive.

The campaign is pretty bad though. Combat doesn't feel interesting and the AI is very poor. The cutscenes look nice and it has a few cool flying levels, but aside from that I really don't think it's worthwhile.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
Squadrons is great, particularly with vr, but in yens of overall game it would have to be fallen order. Warts and all, it was still great. Can't wait to see what they can do with a sequel if they are given time to properly polish it.