• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which will come out first?

• Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2

Votes: 633 69.8%
  • Final Fantasy XVI

Votes: 274 30.2%

• Total voters

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are in for a rude awakening if they think Yoshi-P's team is actually working on FFXVI

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
FF7R is going to sell great, and that will for sure be the priority going forward. For all intents and purposes it is FFXVI

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people think SE is scared of marketing more than one big project at a time

Do you guys not remember IX/X/XI being announced at the same time

Do you guys not remember XIII being announced before XII's release (worldwide)

Do you guys not remember Fabula Nova Crystallis

All of those were a decade ago, and Fabula Nova Crystallis was pretty much a disaster, especially when it comes to the global releases. Didn't help that the original XIV happened during all that, either.

Ever since, SE has been pretty reliably marketing only one big JRPG at a time. After E3 2015, FFXV made way for Nier Automata which made way for Dragon Quest XI which made way for Kingdom Hearts 3 which made way for Final Fantasy VII Remake. In between we got smaller things like ports and spin-offs (WoFF). There's occasionally some overlap (DQXI and KH3 were relatively close to each other) but it is a noticeable trend, and one that makes financial sense now these games are massive AAA endeavors. No sense in competing against themselves.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think FF7R Part 2 will be out first.

Maybe they should focus on finishing 7R before announcing the next mainline game. It gives them more time to make sure XVI is as good as possible and looking at how 7R is coming along, it will need to be really good to follow 7R.

7R is going to be worked on for a long time though. It's not just gonna be two more parts without HUGE chunks of the original game being cut completely. Expect at least three more.

Oct 31, 2017
I think people are in for a rude awakening if they think Yoshi-P's team is actually working on FFXVI

Yoshi P's next gen project

"Its General Manager Yoshida has a message that they have launched a large-scale HD title for the next generation. It has finished initial development and is entering full development."

Back in March 2019

I mean, if it's not XVI, then yeah XVI is a ways off. But I think it is.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I think we'll get FFXVI before FFVIIR-2. Yoshida team is working on a next gen Game since three or four years so it's not crazy to expect a new mainline FF from them.

As for Luminous new IP, maybe it'll release at the same time as FFVIIR-2, l don't know.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
Part 2 will come first.
I guarantee you will see a trailer for Part 2 at the end of FFVII remake. We don't even have an announcement for 16

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Part 2 is either out next year or the one after that, and FFXVI will take probably until 2023

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't want to wait 10 years for complete FF VII, so I hope it's Part 2.

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
While that's a good question, as it could easily be one or the other.

But, no I don't think they will finish 7 remake before XVI is out, that seems crazy even for Square.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Well since Square take ages with mainline FF games, I'm gonna say Remake Part 2, since they can just reuse a lot from Part 1. Just depends if they have scrapped XVI and started over, hence why we never heard anything about it.

I honestly think we will get Persona 6 before FFXVI and that's saying something lol.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
VII might not be a trilogy, if it's a trilogy, most of it would go in the 2nd part and part 3 would feel like a good DLC where you revisit loads of areas and maybe get a few new islands and dungeons.
i don't see it as being anything other than a trilogy. i don't think it's as simple as part 2 being disc 2, but i don't think they're going to do the whole rest of the story in the next part and i can't see them having 4+ entries in their remake of one game

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to say without knowing how many parts FFVIIR is gonna be. Part 2 probably won't go as far as we think. If it does go that far, then I am firmly placing my eggs in the FFXVI basket

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
i don't see it as being anything other than a trilogy. i don't think it's as simple as part 2 being disc 2, but i don't think they're going to do the whole rest of the story in the next part and i can't see them having 4+ entries in their remake of one game
That's the problem, Disc 1 is like 75% of all locations and enemies, half the vehicles and all playable characters. It's hard to do 3 parts and balance it all, unless you're starting cutting it between continents or before getting a new vehicle.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
7 part 2 for sure. The only reason part 1 took so long is that they had to make everything, engine included, from scratch. Now they have wverything out there from part 1 and the engine already for part 2, so it should see a much shorter development cycle. Final Fantasy games in the HD era that a shit ton of work, so I don't think we'll see xvi until at least 2024.

Correction: Part 1 is apparently run on UE4, however you still need to build the framework one which the game runs (battle systems, navigation systems, etc.)

Last edited:

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna go with Part 2. It's already on track, and they have everything in place to bang out the next part at a faster pace. Will still take a few years. But lately, it seems the next big FF usually comes out a few years into the gen. I think XVI will follow this timeline, and will be next gen exclusive, while FF VII will continue to be released on current + next gen platforms (at least for Part 2).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
7 part 2 for sure. The only reason part 1 took so long is that they had to make everything, engine included, from scratch. Now they have wverything out there from part 1 and the engine already for part 2, so it should see a much shorter development cycle. Final Fantasy games in the HD era that a shit ton of work, so I don't think we'll see xvi until at least 2024.

The engine isn't the problem. It's asset creation. They have an entire world they need to build now.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
If it's the Yoshi P project I expect it out in the next 2 years.

I also expect it to be an amazing game unlike 15.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Part 2 is going to be at least 2 continents and 3 rather large towns and 3 or 4 smaller ones. That sounds bigger than a few modern day RPGs. I'm sure it will take time.

Part 3+ is where I can see it speeding it up presumably with the biggest town Wutai and maybe a few rural towns. Most of the last act is backtracking.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Small correction Part 1 runs on UE4. They didn't need to make an engine for it.

The main issue with Part 2 will be asset creation, cutscenes and bossfights - FF on PS1 had an insane amount of one-off content they probably want to keep.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I don't want it to be that way. I want the remake over as quickly as possible. I just think they're going to milk it for ages and hold everything else back until it's done. That's what happened last gen.
I just don't like the idea of it releasing over three console generations. If this thing starts on PS4 and ends on PS6, that would be a failure in my eyes.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
you all know square has multiple business divisions that release multiple big games a year right? yoshida's BD just released FFXIV shadowbringers and dragon quest builders 2 last year (both massive games) and had been in preproduction on a big single player title for years before those two games (dating all the way back to sometime during Heavensward since some high positions on that disappeared from the credits at Stormblood's launch) and that title's now in full production and everyone thinks it's Final Fantasy XVI. What one business division is doing doesn't really affect what projects are being made at the other business divisions.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
So, in theory, does S-E have four major projects in development or about to be in development?

-FFVIIR project
-Luminous Team project
-Yoshida Team project (FFXVI? New IP?)
-Osaka Project (KH4?)

I haven't been following too closely, so I'm probably wrong here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I would hope that the remake parts are released less than a year apart. XVI should be within 2 years. Emphasis on should. SE is the worst about announcing games too early.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy 13-4: The Lighteninging

Seriously tho, I expect FF7 2/? will come out before FF16 but close to it, like a year between.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I would hope that the remake parts are released less than a year apart. XVI should be within 2 years. Emphasis on should. SE is the worst about announcing games too early.

Absolutely no way the VIIR parts are less than a year apart; not unless each part is like one town worth with about 5 enemy variety.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

We'll be lucky if we get them in 3, the next game will have to find an overworld solution, build tons of unique towns and monsters, and create a combat system for Cid, Vincent, Yuffie, Cait Sith, and maybe even Red XIII. Rockstar couldn't do that in 1 year.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Small correction Part 1 runs on UE4. They didn't need to make an engine for it.

The main issue with Part 2 will be asset creation, cutscenes and bossfights - FF on PS1 had an insane amount of one-off content they probably want to keep.
Oh, thank you for the correction. I amended my post. It (part 1) still had the task of creating the framework of the game (battle systems, navigation systems, character switching and all of that mess). Part 2 will undoubtedly take less time than 1, and part 3 even quicker. That's basically what I was getting at. It will come much quicker than an all new Final fantasy title where not only do you need to start all of those processes over but create characters and worlds for them to live in on top of all of that.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XVI: Final Fantasy VII Remake Pt. II
sBmVu8A.gif

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Oh, thank you for the correction. I amended my post. It (part 1) still had the task of creating the framework of the game (battle systems, navigation systems, character switching and all of that mess). Part 2 will undoubtedly take less time than 1, and part 3 even quicker. That's basically what I was getting at. It will come much quicker than an all new Final fantasy title where not only do you need to start all of those processes over but create characters and worlds for them to live in on top of all of that.

It will definitly be faster developed than a normal mainline FF.

Though I would be very surprised if XVI isn't deep in production already leading to it coming out sooner than Part 2 despite taking longer to develop.

But all we do here is guessing anyway, we will probably know after E3.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Something tells me Final Fantasy XVI is still a very long way out. Meanwhile FFVII:R part 2 won't take nearly as long to make as part 1 did, especially now that they've got a ton of framework, models, assets, etc. already in place for it.

Before either happens, however, they'll port FFVII:R part 1 to PS5 and PC. (Probably in that order too.)

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with XVI is that it's a complete unknown, we have a pretty good idea of when VIIR2 will come out because it's a sequel, 3-4 years depending on how smoothly development goes. XVI is basically a new IP and new IPs are incredibly difficult to make, as evidenced by the last several mainline games and all the development problems they've had with them.

It could come out next year or it could come out 6 years from now, we don't have any idea.