• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Dark souls specifically?

.....not forgetting a certain important game?like.... Uh the first souls game? Lol?

When I went into dark souls, I was completely prepared for a lot of those gimmicks and ganks because of DeS.

Thus, "vet". AND I WAS PROUD OF IT GODDAMNIT! No one is gonna take that from me. No one!
Demon's did make anywhere near the splash that Dark Souls did. Hell that why it was viable to remake it because so many people weren't that familiar with it.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
You'd be surprised to know that not only are there Final Fantasy franchise vets, but there's vets at specific entries in the series, namely 11 and 14! 5 is a non-MMO example with the yearly job challenges that encourages veterans providing advice sometimes.

It actually totally makes sense with the franchise and especially the MMOs.

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
It's silly but I'd imagine it's the folks that got into Souls through importing the DeS HK release, before the NA release.

well hello there. i remember when dexterity was translated incorrectly to "experience".

but to take it kind of seriously(not really) any one of these.

1:if you've beat all the games

2:if you have done multiple playthroughs/platinum's of half the games

3:over 500 hours in any of the games cumulative.

4:have watched every vaatividya video and played 1 game.

5:personally know Miyazaki.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Uncharted has difficulty options, where vet status would come into play.

some other random, fun examples of series where there exists the idea of vets:

The Sims
Animal Crossing
Farming/Life Simulators/Harvest Moon-likes

i'd consider it kind of rare for a game not to have something where knowledge doesn't help, nowadays.

I'm not sure I'd agree difficulty options are a good example of this "trait" to be honest
Bullshit. Uncharted on Crushing is an absolute fucking nightmare lol. I'm sure you were referring to normal difficulty though.

MMO's are a good example though of teaching a game through extensive knowledge.

I know, Crushing isn't easy. But that's a self imposed difficulty choice, as compared to an inherent difficulty/skill/knowledge requirement.

In comparison, MMO, MOBA and most online games don't have a choice in difficulty. Even ones that do, such as Devil May Cry, have "vets" because the combat and skill sets are deep enough that knowledge helps.

I just associative vets with the knowledge to succeed in a title based on experience with said series, reliant on the series/game benefitting from such knowledge, I guess.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
People like me that have played these games for close to 1,500 hours, and hundreds of hours of PvP alone…. And hundreds of hours in chalice dungeons. Not even counting the hundreds of hours of watching lets plays and other YouTube content.
Souls vet here. Ya know kids these days don't understand what it was like for us knee deep in the Mekong Blighttown. Hell on my third tour, I watched my fellow blue sentinel get their face melted off by the goddamned crystal sage. I'll never forget it man, not now not never, them eyes as he returned to the bonfire.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I think one thing to add onto the term "vet" is that often they got in on the ground floor of the fandom itself. So for example, I sort of consider myself an Ace Attorney vet because I not only played the DS games during their original run, but I also browsed places like court-records.net and posted on the GameFAQs boards for them. People who did things like that inherently have a different perspective than people who joined the fandom later.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I think X vet makes sense for lots of game series that are fundamentally super related or similar to each other. A Mario vet doesn't make as much sense as Souls vet for instance. But even the list in the OP has lots of series that can have vets...I'm almost positive I've seen people talk about Yakuza vets, and that's a series like Souls for which it makes good sense.

It's also not always used to preface advice. It's helpful to frame a perspective.

Take Elden Ring for instance. people for whom it was their first Souls rodeo might be amused by how simplistic--but also seemingly arbitrary--the weapon upgrade system is, with the plain smithing stones and somber versions. A Souls vet will immediately feel a wave of a relief, cuz they've lived through all the happy horseshit upgrade paths in all of the rest of the series.

OP
OP
The Mango Sentinel
Oct 25, 2017
It's short hand for playing games that offer a similar experience. It's also occasionally used when a series comes back after a long break or haitus or had really big changes.

EXAMPLE:
Strive's fundamental changes to the battle system is more of a challenge for Guilty Gear Vets than for newcomers to overcome

It's not a bragging term and it's not a term used to lord others primarily. Its just short hand for familiar with the conventions of the video game series Anybody in this thread that has said its stupid needs to calm down. Not everybody is trying to insult you.
That's a very interesting perspective on it and definitely one I can relate to lol.
Two factors:

1. Souls games have an unusual feel compared to most modern action games, with how much your character commits to their animations and the inertia.
2. The games are very obtuse and do not explain a lot of the important mechanics in-game.

Those things make the learning curve for Souls games unusually steep. Hence there is a much bigger difference with having prior experience with the Souls series.

As a point of contrast, I'm currently playing the new TMNT games with my friends. You really need no prior Turtles game experience to jump into that. If you have played just about any 2D action game, you will be fine.
True. It's funny that once you do know how to play a Souls game, you'll probably always know. That reason is why your first Souls game will likely always be the hardest. Don't think I've ever struggled with any of them besides DeS and maybe the first couple hours of Bloodborne.
People who only have platinum'd the game and don't use summons, no armor equipped and ofc SL1 only.

They also have to beat the game with no weapons.
Damn, I've been let in and kicked out of the club so many times in this thread lol.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
It's definitely stranger that you've put so much thought into this, than it is that the subject even exists.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
The Ace Wombat vets are the inhuman fucks still playing the AC7 online mode. I strongly recommend jumping in once or twice to get completely annihilated without any remote clue of how to respond.

OP
OP
The Mango Sentinel
Oct 25, 2017
Someone that fought in the International Git Gud Wars
This got me good.
I'm absolutely a R&C vet tbqfh
I like it. That's what I wanna hear.
It's definitely stranger that you've put so much thought into this, than it is that the subject even exists.
It's pretty much the only thing on my mind at every waking moment. Drinking helps to make it go away. Drinking also led to this thread. But these are subjects that need to be questioned. If I didn't ask, would anyone have been brave enough to do so?

And I'll continue asking the hard hitting questions. Resetera needs to be put on notice.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I just did a search for the term and, understandably, this thread was dominating the results. So, I jumped back to the tenth page. There, the vets in question were fighting game players and a person who had been playing No Man's Sky for quite some time. I think it is just a term people (infrequently) use to refer to people who are experienced with a specific franchise/genre.

Is this just another thread for people to throw shade at Souls fans?

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
I think the term merely arose because Elden Ring is a lot of people's first experience with the series, so Souls vet just means people who played the prior games, as opposed to people who are playing Elden Ring fresh with no prior experience.

OP
OP
The Mango Sentinel
Oct 25, 2017
The Ace Wombat vets are the inhuman fucks still playing the AC7 online mode. I strongly recommend jumping in once or twice to get completely annihilated without any remote clue of how to respond.
Considering how difficult I thought the campaign was, I can only imagine what kind of hell that is.
I just did a search for the term and, understandably, this thread was dominating the results. So, I jumped back to the tenth page. There, the vets in question were fighting game players and a person who had been playing No Man's Sky for quite some time. I think it is just a term people (infrequently) use to refer to people who are experienced with a specific franchise/genre.

No, absolutely not. I even mentioned in the OP that I've played all of them and beaten all of them besides ER. I greatly enjoy the Souls games.

I get that this is resetera and trying to tell the difference between the crazy fucks that flip out over miniscule shit and the people having a laugh by doing something stupid, is really hard to be quite frank. But no, there's no malice here. I would hope that the last couple of questions of the first paragraph and that the last paragraph in general would bring out the joke answers and some answers addressing the question. For the most part that has happened, and I appreciate it.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just someone who's played multiple of the games several times that have a greater understanding of it's mechanics/lore than someone who plays the games then shelves them once done.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If you didn't import Demon's Souls when it was Japanese only and helped provide to the wiki you can't be a vet.

The only exceptions are for true heroic acts like let me solo her.

Oct 28, 2017
The definition of veteran is a person who has had long experience in a particular field. So someone who has been playing Souls games for a long time would be a souls vet. Just like someone who has been playing the Street Fighter series this whole time would be an SF vet.

Even though I've played and beat all of these games except DS2, I would not call myself a vet since I didn't really get into the games until DS3.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
If you didn't play DkS1 when everyone was flip rolling in Giants or Havel armor before the patch that nerfed the Dark Wood Grain Ring, then you aren't eligible to be a souls vet. That's my unofficial smarmy cutoff line.

Bonus points for anyone that was one shotting with Cursed Dragon Bone Smasher in DeS. I was lttp on DeS.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you didn't play DkS1 when everyone was flip rolling in Giants or Havel armor before the patch that nerfed the Dark Wood Grain Ring, then you aren't eligible to be a souls vet. That's my unofficial smarmy cutoff line.

Bonus points for anyone that was one shotting with Cursed Dragon Bone Smasher in DeS. I was lttp on DeS.
RIP all those that started with PC

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Lol. You're overthinking it.

Also there are absolutely SF vets, DQ vets, FF vets, etc.

I prefer the term fan here myself.
This. It's not rocket science.

And it's generally in the context of acknowledging difficulty and the like, not even for bragging. Like "I'm a Souls vet but even I found Malenia to be over the top difficult" or whatnot. Never once seen it in the context of "bragging".

Wheredoyouthinkweare.gif

Oct 29, 2017
What a weird thing to get hung up on. It's not just a souls thing, I've seen people use the term for all sorts of series/genres. It just means they've played a lot of the games and have been doing so for a long time. If you've played every game then yes, you're a vet.
Exactly. I don't see why it's "silly" either. It's the same as being a noob to a type of game. I've been gaming for over 30 years now and I'm still a sports game noob lol

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
It just means they've played them a lot and know them very well.

It may be silly but we use "Veteran" as shorthand like this in a lot of things, not just video games.

Yeah. This is a really silly thing to get irritated over. People use "vet" for all sorts of stuff. It just means you're experienced at whatever you're referring to.

I'm an actual veteran, and it doesn't bother me. I don't see why it should bother anyone.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
User Banned (Permanent): Antagonizing other users, long history of similar behavior.
Sounds like something that enjoys thew smell of their own farts would call themselves.

"Why yes i am a souls vet."

south-park-fart.gif

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
It's just a shorthand for "I've been playing these games since forever, I'm not a newbie" and it's typically used to couch criticism to give their complaints more weight.

You see it more with FromSoft games because the fan base is rabidly toxic and if they don't state their credentials they'll get eaten alive.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I think the only series id qualify for is Civilization. Played hundreds of hours of every game going back to the first one on Amiga.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
It's just people who know a lot about the ins and outs of game/genre. There are shmup vets that can hop from game to game and adapt quickly to the scoring systems/gameplay and 1cc/score high at a quicker pace than others. Same with rhythm game vets hopping from game to game.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
We're the Spetsnaz of gaming, reflexes like adderall-addled Jedi, mind sharp as Holmes', the purest technique this side of Miyamoto Musashi and a poet's heart.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I guess it would basically mean you could pick up a new entry in the series and be pretty good at it right away
This basically, no need to overthink it lol. Souls games have a formula that makes your experience and skill transfer between games and makes it easier to pick up a new "Souls" game. It's simply that.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm offended by the disrespect towards our veterans in this thread. Do you know what it's liked to see your buddy get double teamed by Ornstein and Smough, with you powerless to stop it? I live with that pain every day, so you don't have to.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Someone that started with Demons Souls back in 2009.

If you didn't start then, you have missed out on having the prestigious Souls veteran title.

Oct 25, 2017
It's typically only employed in threads concerning Souls games because 1) they tend to have above average difficulty and 2) you can quickly build a rapport with other players by saying it, so they know not to waste your time with dumb questions about ability.

OP
OP
The Mango Sentinel
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a shorthand for "I've been playing these games since forever, I'm not a newbie" and it's typically used to couch criticism to give their complaints more weight.

You see it more with FromSoft games because the fan base is rabidly toxic and if they don't state their credentials they'll get eaten alive.
Nah, you playing.
I feel like most of the time everyone is cool

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Well the Souls games are a series of difficult video games. A Souls veteran is someone that completed those games. So there's some merit behind it.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit. Uncharted on Crushing is an absolute fucking nightmare lol. I'm sure you were referring to normal difficulty though.

MMO's are a good example though of teaching a game through extensive knowledge.

Damn those are some good ones. Some of the shit I've seen people put together in Animal Crossing is insane.

Or is it?
As someone who has beat every Uncharted on crushing, no one should. Meanwhile, Souls has a baseline level of difficulty everyone has to endure.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
I think It's just a way to precede an opinion. There's a difference between someone who's never played one of the games and someone who has beaten them all. Just kind of informs the reader of what lens their opinion is being relayed through.