• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Ever since Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy (JO & JA for short) , every Star Wars game has struggled with lightsaber combat.
The thing is that the Jedi Games don't "look" very impressive but the Lightsaber manages to feel very different to traditional Melee weapons in other games:

source.gif

Before talking about those games more, let's look at the SW games released since then that have had lightsaber combat.

The Force Unleashed 1 & 2 were met with mixed reviews, but the implementation of force powers was generally received very well. The lightsaber combat though was rather unsatisfying and simple.

RichAdmiredBernesemountaindog-size_restricted.gif

Battlefronts' lightsabers feel like glowing baseball bats and the melee combat itself is more wildly flailing around than using a Saber with style and precision.

fzqrjcra1kfr.gif

Fallen Order actually seems to be much better than TFU and Battlefront, with a combat system that's more remeniscient of Dark Souls, although there are still a lot of comments talking about the sabers acting more like glowing baseball bats (I actually don't agree with that perception anymore)

CluelessDopeyAcaciarat-size_restricted.gif

So, what makes a "good" lightsaber combat system and what can the newer games learn from Jedi Outcast and Academy?

There are a few points I personally think that matter in that regard:

- Dismemberment. Quite simply, the Lightsaber is supposed to cut through everything and dismemberment immensely helps selling that visually. We all don't remember realisticsabercombat_1 for nothing. As Disney does not seem to want any kind of dismemberment on Humans, at least in Fallen Order, they seem to work around that by using droids.

giphy.gif

- Always doing damage: what I really liked about the Jedi games is that the Saber had a constantly active hitbox, even outside of the attack animations. You could kill an enemy by simply touching him with the Saber. This is very hard to do with a traditional, moveset-based combat system and the reason why I think the "perfect" star wars game gives the player a more direct way to control the Lightsabers' movement. Maybe something like For Honor could act as as a base idea. JO and JA actually did this very smoothly with a neutral position that had the tip of the Lightsaber pointed towards the enemy. This, together with the always active hit box, allowed the player to basically simulate free-form "mini-attacks" outside of the canned aimations by moving the mouse around.

- Building on that: quick deaths by one fatal blow. In my opinion, what made the Jedi games' combat so good was that one good hit could kill the enemy, unceremoniously and swift. In Fallen Order for example, normal enemies also die by one hit but there seem to be a lot of canned finishing-blow-animations that kinda take the edge of how quick a lightsaber duel can be over. It disconnects the player from the immediate action.

- Hit reaction: I absolutely dislike how enemies physically react to getting hit with a lightsaber. They should not be pushed back by the hit or even be launched in the air like with a normal sword (.... a normal video game sword) , but be cut through like butter and more or less collapse on the spot. The Lightsaber feels more dangerous the less the Enemies actually physically react to it. (This is also something that would be greatly helped by a good dismemberment system.) As seen in the gif above, that's something I think Fallen Order actually does quite well.

So, that's all I got, what are your thoughts on this obviously highly important topic?

Last edited:

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
I've always loved how Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy handled combat. Mostly because of how free the camera is, no lock is a plus as well.

Wish there was a dedicated block button though.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think we're about to get the best representation of lightsaber combat to date with Fallen Order.

Also, neither Outcast nor Academy holds up particularly well. I think people place these games on a pedestal (and they were great games) but they haven't aged nearly as gracefully as they think and they were never all that representative of the combat in the films.

Personally, I'd love to see the developer of For Honor get a crack at making a lightsaber-centric fighter. They've effectively created the most nuanced melee combat engine to date and I think they could apply much of that to a system of lightsaber combat and Force-powered techniques.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only way I can think to really make lightsaber combat FEEL like lightsaber combat is to Bushido Blade it. Super lethal combat where a successful hit can end a match or fight in seconds.

I don't know how much folks would actually go for that kind of thing, but it would feel like a laser sword fight.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The Jedi Outcast and Academy games were ok but they also can look super sloppy as the blades kinda magically slice through things without any impact or clashing in lightsaber vs lightsaber combat was inconsistent. You would get some cool looking sequences but also lot of awkward looking ones too.

Nov 9, 2017
I've always wanted a Star Wars game based around Ninja Gaiden's combat system (most NGB then NG2).

That I think would be the best representation of properly lightsaber combat in a game (my opinion only).

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I say this having played neither game, but I have never really understood the hype about Jedi Knight 2's lightsaber combat from videos I see posted. Like I'm sure it probably feels great but everything I see of it just looks even fucking dumber than the lightsaber fights in the prequel trilogy. Like every gif in the OP looks better.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The approach with Outcast and Academy is easily the best, at least on pc. The sense that the clashing of lightsabers is what actually matters is why they succeed. Games like Force Unleashed only have a traditional hit-based combat mechanic where it's the animation's collision that triggers a damage state with i-frames to cool it down. The level of realism on display to lightsaber control and collision in Outcast and Academy makes them feel like lightsaber simulators. They only falter by their unbalanced moveset and how invincible you get with fully charged force powers.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fallen Order's lightsaber combat is closer to Sekiro's swordfighting, where you only need a couple of direct hits to kill standard enemies because swords are sharp and people shouldn't be taking multiple hits to the chest

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
As OP notes, what makes good lightsaber combat is typing realisticsabercombat_1 into the console and then decapitating yourself walking too close to a wall.

Oct 27, 2017
I only played Jedi Academy online multiplayer and I had no idea wtf I was doing or how anything worked and it felt like a mess. Still had fun though. Also as far as these gifs are concerned, it pretty much matches what I remember it feeling like.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
The other thing that makes for good lightsaber combat is patiently waiting your turn by the Bespin Cloud City landing pad, doing the twirl taunt, crouching and then charging your opponent with light style attacks like some kind of murderous leprechaun.

Jedi Knight 2 is without a doubt one of my most treasured multiplayer experiences.

Mar 29, 2018
I think we're about to get the best representation of lightsaber combat to date with Fallen Order.

Also, neither Outcast nor Academy holds up particularly well. I think people place these games on a pedestal (and they were great games) but they haven't aged nearly as gracefully as they think and they were never all that representative of the combat in the films.

Personally, I'd love to see the developer of For Honor get a crack at making a lightsaber-centric fighter. They've effectively created the most nuanced melee combat engine to date and I think they could apply much of that to a system of lightsaber combat and Force-powered techniques.
Agreed but OP is correct that the OTT finishing animations and enemies being pushed by the saber (rather than sleekly cut) really has a big impact on the "lightsaber feel". Part of what made watching the movies satisfying was that they'd cut through enemies like butter. It touches the enemy, they go down. Jedi: FO looks more like Sekiro or For Honor with the way the blade interacts with enemies

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Nice post OP, really liked reading this. I think it is an incredibly interesting discussion because it falls in-line with the Superman dilemma; Your source material is outwardly against game mechanics because of the over-powered nature of their devices. It's very hard to stop Superman from getting wherever he wants to get to and same goes with a lightsaber. But games have to make concessions in order to achieve this balance.
Yeah, I don't like the more solid look of Fallen Orders Lightsabers. The middle of the blade should be pure white.
Respawn has addressed this (in the most recent trailer it is evident).

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I think people place these games on a pedestal (and they were great games) but they haven't aged nearly as gracefully as they think and they were never all that representative of the combat in the films.

I'm very realistic regarding nostalgia for past games, but the old Lucas Arts games (especially the Jedi and X-Wing series) nailed the intensity of SW combat better than almost anything that came after it. Not to mention they actually made games that were not merely a variation of a generic FPS.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
until a lightsaber is treated with the correct physical properties and it doesnt slash through people like it's made of light and not burning plasma we will not get correct lightsaber combat

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
The other thing that makes for good lightsaber combat is patiently waiting your turn by the Bespin Cloud City landing pad, doing the twirl taunt, crouching and then charging your opponent with light style attacks like some kind of murderous leprechaun.

Jedi Knight 2 is without a doubt one of my most treasured multiplayer experiences.

:) Some of my best multiplayer memories too. I don't know how much it would hold up now but the light saber combat in Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 and Academy were great at giving you an almost fencing light saber fantasy.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I'd like to see a bloodborne like take on lightsabers. Different builds and types of blades one could use, with fast paced combat. I think its doable.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Think it's really understated just how much effort was put into making it actually look like lightsaber combat as seen in the movies. Like just compare with the other gifs or force unleashed. It's night and day and that's not just due to new hardware but also due to very deliberate game design.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
until a lightsaber is treated with the correct physical properties and it doesnt slash through people like it's made of light and not burning plasma we will not get correct lightsaber combat
You wont ever really get correct, "Plasma sword" combat until a game outside of the Star Wars genre does a Plasma Sword. But you will get proper lightsabers that behave like they do in the Fantasy that is Star Wars, which is different to scientific fact.

That's always been the issue with making Star Wars things, it was never a franchise set in scientific realism, it has always been fantasy. So you have two camps of thought that conflict with each other, "a REAL lightsaber would do X" but that is not correct to what it is... it's a fantasy weapon used to depict fantasy encounters in a way the story-teller wants it to.

Enkidu

Oct 27, 2017
The multiplayer in Jedi Knight 2 was so good. Dueling 1 on 1 was amazing and it had a great mix of hanging out and just chatting and messing around with people that was really unique at the time. Unfortunately the saber combat in Jedi Academy felt like a dumpster fire in comparison, which killed the whole thing since a lot of people stopped playing JK2 after it came out.

OP
OP
Team_Feisar

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
:) Some of my best multiplayer memories too. I don't know how much it would hold up now but the light saber combat in Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 and Academy were great at giving you an almost fencing light saber fantasy.

I think they mechanically hold up better than one would expect them to.
The combination of rather simple moves but a "every touch of the Blade matters" hit detection really sells the tense nature of the movie fights.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You wont ever really get correct, "Plasma sword" combat until a game outside of the Star Wars genre does a Plasma Sword. But you will get proper lightsabers that behave like they do in the Fantasy that is Star Wars, which is different to scientific fact.

That's always been the issue with making Star Wars things, it was never a franchise set in scientific realism, it has always been fantasy. So you have two camps of thought that conflict with each other, "a REAL lightsaber would do X" but that is not correct to what it is... it's a fantasy weapon used to depict fantasy encounters in a way the story-teller wants it to.
Yep. So you either get Luke hitting Jabba's guards and never slicing them but they die anyway without any noticeable piercing, or you get the various times limbs were chopped off for the sake of closing out a battle. It depends on the requirement of the story.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
VR and a thumping soundtrack is enough to make anyone feel like a jedi. Just imagine the boxes are attacking you or something.
5b2d0e53-167a-4e5a-a1qfjyj.gif

Mar 29, 2018
The approach with Outcast and Academy is easily the best, at least on pc. The sense that the clashing of lightsabers is what actually matters is why they succeed. Games like Force Unleashed only have a traditional hit-based combat mechanic where it's the animation's collision that triggers a damage state with i-frames to cool it down. The level of realism on display to lightsaber control and collision in Outcast and Academy makes them feel like lightsaber simulators. They only falter by their unbalanced moveset and how invincible you get with fully charged force powers.
But a lot of the time in those games it felt like you and others were just flailing at each other as lightsabers didn't really bash properly, they just made a flash.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I'm fine with a lightsaber acting as a sword in video games. So something like Sekiro would be fine.

I think Fallen Order using the posture meter as a mechanic is a good move as to make sure you don't instantly one shot enemies but breaking their guard does reward you with big damage. So it feels balanced where the lightsaber is still OP but not too OP because as we've seen, a Jedi can be defeated if they're outnumbered and out gunned

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Think it's really understated just how much effort was put into making it actually look like lightsaber combat as seen in the movies. Like just compare with the other gifs or force unleashed. It's night and day and that's not just due to new hardware but also due to very deliberate game design.

Couldn't agree more. The combat looks to be very engaging in Fallen Order and its in line with how lightsaber duels are depicted in the current films

Oct 27, 2017
The Jedi Academy stuff looks SO spaztastically goofy. Their arms are locked one way but their heads are looking off in strange directions lmao

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
For Honor gave me a pretty good idea of how I want lightsaber duels to feel thanks to their May 4th event earlier this year:

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
VR makes a great lightsaber combat system. Vader Immortal makes you feel like such a bad ass.

Was going to mention this as well, especially the recently released Episode II that includes force powers. Using pull with one hand while you slice through a droid with your saber with the other is some of the most satisfying gameplay I've experienced in awhile. I'd love to see a next gen VR Star Wars game with the level of physics detail something like Blade & Sorcery has using dismemberment. I'd play that for hours on end each session. Great workout too!

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
The only way I can think to really make lightsaber combat FEEL like lightsaber combat is to Bushido Blade it. Super lethal combat where a successful hit can end a match or fight in seconds.

I don't know how much folks would actually go for that kind of thing, but it would feel like a laser sword fight.

this is exactly what i was thinking :o

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
While I love the sabre combat in Jedi Academy, I won't praise any style other than the standard sabre. The other two had too many animations per click. Ecen with the single sabre I really only liked the heavy style.

Heavy style with realistisabrecombat was the best, deliberate and lethal action.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So we just gonna pretend that Revenge of the Sith doesn't have great lightsaber combat?

LeMYfq.gif

MajesticAdvancedIsabellineshrike-size_restricted.gif

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
Playing Jedi Outcast back in the day on PC, I would go into the console menu and crank the saber lock setting along with the realisticcombat. It was amazing.

Sekiro clashing blades mechanics would work pretty well with lightsabers. Taking away guard/posture meters till you finally get in the killing blow.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love how in the gif, the Droid, comprised of metal, loses its limbs but those adamantine Stormtroopers don't lose anything. On topic though, it needs to have a sense of weight and impact. It should be fun and accommodating of all skill levels but still retain a high skill ceiling so that the skill gap is clear between different combatants.