• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

At X019 we got this trailer from the new project at Rare. The studios second team is working on the game, with probably over a 100 people at the studio itself. And who knows how many people in support.

From the trailer we haven't learnt a lot. We've mostly got a glimpse on the art direction and the world.

What kind of game would you like it to be?

I'd love to see some interesting new gameplay elements in a narrative adventure through a living world. Where you and 'your tribe' are responsible for preserving nature and the 'circle of life'

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's something with a ton of exploration. The art style/world reminds me of Breath of the Wild, but on a much more powerful system. That alone makes me want to just run around and find neat little areas that overall may not mean much, but are just there waiting to be found.

Looks gorgeous, though! Can't wait to find out some more info. I believe Rare has said it's pretty early in development though, so I am expecting not to hear a whole lot at E3 or anything else this year.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like it to be a more PvE focused version of the Sea of Thieves multiplayer open world concept. This time we go out into this big world and do all kindsa stuff together, now as a tribe instead of a crew :)

I'm a big fan of that game though and want more of it so biased that way :P

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Third person action adventure with a big narrative. Otherwise its not AAA

/s

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Action Adventure title where you "raise" wildlife and plants and cultivate life. Your adventure leads you to get things from animals and plants and you bring it back to your "home" or inventory in order to "build" other life in other areas of the world. So like an action adventure title that is sorta like Viva Pinata but you need to fight animals (like the tiger beast thing) in order to get some items.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
A persistent shared world online game, with deep first person combat utilising melee weapons and ranged bow and magic.

Taking in many lessons learned from developing and running Sea of Thieves.

Hopefully it will have dangerous places like caves, dungeons, treacherous forests, tunnels and more that could be explorable for special things, with potentially more being added over time as new secret paths become available and are revealed.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
We know what it is, which is another online persistent world game. So it's a big pass from me, as I tend to hate online games in general. I'd like to see it changed into a single player experience like others have joked about on this thread. Won't happen though

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I hoping to see something original combining elements of Kameo, Viva Pinata and Pokemon. I like the idea of exploring, taming wildlife and collecting an animal crew.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Would also want it to have world bosses and world events that are very difficult to do. Think the Gates of Ahn'qiraj from WoW, where the whole server participated to accomplish it.

Experiences that provide both social drama and social bonding between people, things that stay for a long time. Don't want it to be just another game to randomly spend some time in.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever Rare wants it to be, as we've certainly heard enough trolling on that front about what Rare is and isn't forced to do.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like it to be a more PvE focused version of the Sea of Thieves multiplayer open world concept. This time we go out into this big world and do all kindsa stuff together, now as a tribe instead of a crew :)

I'd prefer something single-player, but I'd also be okay with this. The PvP component is why I can't play SoT so if they took that out and made it just some co-op fun then I'd be down with that.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
i wanna see what devs can do, when they approach the zelda route on a next gen hardware.

Imagine all the physics and gameplay possibilities with a XSX or PS5 Hardware

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
More MMO vibe.

-With quest
-Third person
-RPG systems
-Exploration
-Next Gen AI
-innovating mechanic of gameplay

Inspiration from BOTW, Monster Hunter world, world of Warcraft, princesse mononoke.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
I get the feeling we'll see a lot of Viva Pinata inspired elements and will be a major focus. Taking care of all the denizens in the wild and managing their environment on a larger scale than VP.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Pokemon of the Wild.

Something perhaps mechanically similar to ARK but with much less grind and fewer mega-groups

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Hopefully not THAT social.

But it's pretty the way I like.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
A mix between Spore and a looter shooter where you kill beautiful animals other players create

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I would prefer it to be something single player with lots of handcrafted content, that you move through once before reaching an actual end. No cheap tricks to lure people to play longer than the game deserves, no log in bonuses, no multi player, no grinding, no microtransactions or similar. At this point genre matters little to me, if it doesn't fulfill those criteria first.

It looks beautiful, but with so little character or story set-ups in the short trailer that I don't expect it to be a game for me. Still, until something is confirmed I'm still hoping for a surprise, that perhaps somehow it could be along the line of the games Rare used to be known for before Kinect.

Last edited:

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
An open world survival rogue-like with crafting elements.

I'm fucking joking, obviously.

I dunno, man. 'Rare' doesn't really mean anything anymore. It's an entirely different company, wearing the skin of a dear departed friend.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I dunno, man. 'Rare' doesn't really mean anything anymore. It's an entirely different company, wearing the skin of a dear departed friend.

They've won multiple awards with their most recent open world game. So even though many people from 20 years ago have left the company, there is still enough magic left in the company.

And Robin Beanland his music is fantastic.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with Rare focusing on new IPs, but I just wish at least some of those new IPs were character driven single-player games.

After Nuts & Bolts, it feels like every Rare game since then has just focused on avatars and blank slates that you're supposed to project yourself on to. It'd be fine if it were just Sea of Thieves, but it looks like Everwild seems to be following suit. I just miss when they made established main characters with personalities or backstories, characters like Diddy Kong, Banjo & Kazooie, Conker, Joanna Dark, even someone like Kameo or Cooper of GOTG fame.

This one DKVine post says it better than I can.

I dunno if it has to be necessarily cartoony animals, but certainly character based, and ever since the Kinect Sports era, or even earlier with the avatars, Rare's focus has moved onto general experiences that the player can be a part of, regardless of who they're playing as. We're no longer playing as a specific character with their own specific story, personality, and attitude that we can journey alongside, but instead are crafting our own stories, personalities, and attitudes onto the avatar we're controlling and becoming directly, like, yeah, an avatar. We're still playing avatar games from Rare, except now we're pirates or fairy people or what have you. I think that's whats getting to old Rare fans, because it's not just Banjo and Conker, it's also Joanna Dark, Vela, Kameo, etc, several different art and playstyles, but they all felt signature "Rare" because of the characters.

And that has changed, and I agree, I don't think it's a bad thing either. Just trying to identify the pieces that feel missing for many fans. And this applies to the industry at large, even Nintendo doesn't seem to be on board the character driven games so much, at least not nearly like they used to.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019

This is all I hope of it. That sounds absolutely glorious. I love SoT as it is unlike any other game that feels amazing to sail through. Anxious to see what it actually is.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

I'd like this too. I love Sea of Thieves, but would like to see what they could do with a more PvE focused experience. They must've learned a lot with SoT.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
My (mild) interest in this would instantly vanish if this ends up being another online-only, shared-world experience. No thanks.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd settle for a BOTW style game.
An open world survival rogue-like with crafting elements.

I'm fucking joking, obviously.

This is trolling af this point. We know what Rare currently is, no need to point out for the hundredht time that the studio is not composed of the same people as before.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019

Yes, letting Rare go was one of the things that was hard to do. They are nothing of the Rare I used to know, and haven't made a game I've enjoyed since the early days of the 360. It just isn't the same company anymore. And I don't like their evolution, but others may

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The game will have more of a narrative then SoT. There is more of a story and world to tell.
Where SoT is more the players playing now are the canvas of the story and the story evolves because what they do.