• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It's not that.

It's people just coming and being:

"Man that game was trash, anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves."

And then a hard exit. It's like oh, okay - thanks for sharing.
Well, if it's out of line, feel free to report them for drive-by trolling. We unfortunately can't be everywhere at once, so reports help us out a lot.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
It wasn't like that in 2017 or early 2018, closer to when this forum was founded.

But since then hottakes and negativity - it just sells the most. Jim Sterling even more or less outed himself on that.
I was a huge lurker at the time. And come to think of it, you are right. It's just hard to look back at it fondly with how "loud" the negativity is currently. And that's not even touching on Off-Topic. It's like a negativity aggregate.

Oct 27, 2017
It's cyclical OP. Even the games that are universally loved usually are being picked apart only months later. You know you've got a winner on your hands when you'll see topics popping up literal years later about why "X" popular game actually sucks.

Oct 25, 2017
Negativity and hot takes just gets more clicks so you also end up noticing them more.
Many gaming personalities have made a living operating with that principal and Era is no different.
I also get the feeling a lot Era users are enjoying discussing games more than actually playing them and you aren't going to start a lot of discussion if you are being positive and have a popular opinion.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, this is a recent thing? In what universe?

Also being an enthusiast doesn't literally mean being enthusiastic about everything. Enthusiasts like to discuss the merits of the things they're enthusiastic about. That includes criticism as well as praise. Like, I think people who dislike BotW are from another planet but I am nearly always interested in hearing their (wrong) opinions.

I actually think Era is all around more positive than the old place due to our off-topic being a lot less intense than Gaf's pre-exodus(let alone the dumpster fire it currently is). Gaming side is same as it ever was.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
It's always been like that? Pretty much the same since the old site.
The better question is why have YOU suddenly realize the negativity?

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but for whatever reason I'm in the extreme minority on that and people get weirdly defensive about being called out on it for being so quick to go on the attack on the most insignificant little thing they don't like. It's not just here, of course, it's just about everywhere, but that doesn't make it acceptable. Neither am I implying that we should just shower the world with nothing but praise, but threads like the kind you listed as examples are particularly exemplary of a certain distilled hyperbole that people seem strangely obsessed with to the point of invading threads full of people who actually enjoy a game just to make driveby comments about how that community is wrong for it. And not on a moral level the vast majority of the time either, usually it's something ridiculously petty to where there's absolutely no harm whatsoever in just letting people enjoy things.

You should follow the same advice. Making a thread to complain about people voicing their opinions is never good.
I mean, this just sounds like

Which is an extra bundle of toxic discourse that's mostly just used to defend behavior that shouldn't logically be defensible. Of course someone has a right to an opinion, that doesn't mean there isn't a point in calling them out for expressing that opinion in an obnoxious manner. It seems like every time someone makes a thread or post calling out this type of community misbehavior they're immediately met with "But you're complaining about complaining! HA! GOTCHA!" when that's not the. . .point.

It's not the complaining in and of itself, it's the rhetoric.

It's obnoxious rhetoric. Every internet community likes to pride themselves on being "less awful" than every other internet community, but if you suggest that any one of them improve their rhetoric even slightly it's a cardinal sin. Maybe for once a community could take a step back and like, not be like that.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People like negativity. News at 11. Its the same reason the most watched YouTube videos usually are negative ones.

Dec 15, 2017
I think it's a valid concern from these users. At the end of the day, enthusiast or not our days have 24 hours.
And there are just too many games being released these days, besides playing games on day one you'll get the worst experience for sure.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
My question for these folks is........why....are you.....here?

I thought this was a forum for gaming enthusiasts. I don't know what type of discussion or reaction you're trying to get out of gaming enthusiasts on a gaming enthusiast forum. So........why are you posting that?

Speaking personally, I would think that some that post on these boards only post when there is a break or lull in their gaming habits. When gaming, I don't spend much time on the message boards.

Sometimes, burnout brings one to the boards to share their experience. Generally comes with the territory of being an aging gamer as well.

This does not include outright toxic topics like hating on games or players, which is a whole different kettle of fish.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
You seem to have a weird definition of what an enthuastist is. Enthuastists are most likely to talk about things in the hobby they dislike.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I'm negative on the internet, I get more interaction than when I'm positive. Saying I don't like thing gets me more engagement than saying I like thing. It's just how it is now, the internet is rigged to being negative. It's a problem outside of this board; being negative gives you more validation.

My most quoted post the last 24 hours is me saying "I don't like thing". My posts practically doesn't exist on this board if I'm being positive.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
People on an enthusiast forum are gonna share their opinions, good or bad. Being critical of things, even those you like, is important in discovering how you truly feel about something and is a fun creative exercise. Asking for everyone to just be positive all the time is basically wanting to read a bunch of ad copy from companies making games.

Besides, it can be maddening to feel like you're the only person in the world who doesn't like something and it feels good to share that and find others with a similar experience, as well as hearing from those you'd disagree with.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
If anything being an enthusiast in something means that you're going to be more critical and more easily able to identify flaws/issues.

Why do you think games like Pokemon can get away with producing underwhelming and safe games constantly and sell millions every time? The casual player doesn't really think about it that deeply, on the surface level it's a fun Pokemon game which is good enough. Same as with stuff like FIFA and CoD.

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
Constructive criticism is good. So is just griping about something that frustrates you with friends. I'm still pretty new here, but it's easy to see when complaining falls into one basket or the other.

One problem we have is that we're an echo chamber. We are enthusiastic about the hobby of video games because we like the genre of hobby and care about its success in one way or another. I don't think there's many anti-gamers lurking here. Regardless of opinion or spirit we all have this interest in common. It's easy to bang out a quick reply with the assumptions and bias we all carry.

If we wanted to be impactful with our concerns and gripes, we need to be giving the criticism to developers and makers of games – in a constructive way – but here we are ranting to each other on a video game forum. :p

Remember friends posing follow up posts here (and in general), "Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge… is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound purpose larger than the self kind of understanding."

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is a forum to discuss things and thats what theyre doing, discussing what they like and dont like.

If you want to approach it from a more "gaming enthusiasts" POV thats fine, plenty of people do but realize that this hobby elicits strong emotions and that means the pendulum can swing wildly in both directions.

Deleted member 30365

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I know, OP.

ResetEra comes off as one of the most negative places on the internet at times.

Just find one of the few peppered threads that resonates with you and partake in the conversation.

And hope it lasts before you run into your next hyperbole filled post or thread.

This. But I guess this is the 2019/2020 Internet, bad news and negativity bring clicks. :(

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Only positive marketing / word of mouth allowed from now on :D

Why is waiting for a sale bad, by the way?

Oct 27, 2017
If people like something they just say they like it and move on but negativity sparks discussion so people just gravitate to that more.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
The latest video game news, discussions, announcements, industry gossip, sales figures, bargains and reviews. The pulse of the gaming industry.

Dying for OP to show me the mandated request or fine print anywhere on the very first words you read clicking on this discussion section that demands your comments always be positive

Someone here definitely needs to take a break and get out of their bubble though, I definitely agree with him on that; he just won't like who it's referring to

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I'm negative on the internet, I get more interaction than when I'm positive. Saying I don't like thing gets me more engagement than saying I like thing. It's just how it is now, the internet is rigged to being negative. It's a problem outside of this board; being negative gives you more validation.

My most quoted post the last 24 hours is me saying "I don't like thing". My posts practically doesn't exist on this board if I'm being positive.
Sad to read but I can absolutely relate.

Which to me in a sense makes absolute plausible why it is that when you enjoy this hobby the most is when you're locked in to your games and interacting less on boards and crap. Which is what most gamers do really, playing farming simulator or something and chilling.

One of the problems with the internet has always been garbage in garbage out.

They're good threads here and there that's for sure but I think no ones ever going do something about the content that brings on the clicks. We'd probably have to shut whole thing down lol

Oct 29, 2017
one time I asked a poster why there were so god damn negative all the time. their reply was "more people respond to me"

It's just for attention. kinda sad, really.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Having criticisms isnt a negative or toxic behaviour. It's good to vent out frustrations in whatever way you feel like unless it directly harms others.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
could be why I find the premise of the OP mind-boggling

what's so bad about a thread asking when a game gets interesting

not the gotcha you think it is.

Dying for OP to show me the mandated request or fine print anywhere on the very first words you read clicking on this discussion section that demands your comments always be positive

Someone here definitely needs to take a break and get out of their bubble though, I definitely agree with him on that; he just won't like who it's referring to

you need to chill if that's your take from the OP.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The idea of going into a hobbyist forum, and trying to convince others that thing they like is bad and they should feel bad for liking it.
So if I say I don't like a thing, I'm telling others they should feel bad liking it?
This is a discussion forum. Which means there are going to be opposing opinions on pretty much everything outside maybe Baby Yoda and Bubsy being a shitty franchise.

I'm sorry this isn't an echo chamber to confirm your positive opinions on whatever you want to talk about.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People like to hear themselves talk. Making threads are no different. Why keep your dislike to yourself if you can make people hear it? Same everywhere. People love to talk about themselves. I've made zero threads so I know what I am talking about :D
If people didn't create threads this forum would be dead. Framing everyone who tries to start having a discussion about things on here as narcisisstic is not only a big fucking stretch but also insulting.

Ironically the only one trying to elevate themselves here is you right now. You aren't special just because you aren't making threads lmao.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, criticism threads asking when a game gets good are fine. People thinking they're cool by saying "Looks cool. Will wait for the price to drop to $5." are just being jerks and trying to spread negativity.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
So if I say I don't like a thing, I'm telling others they should feel bad liking it?
This is a discussion forum. Which means there are going to be opposing opinions on pretty much everything outside maybe Baby Yoda and Bubsy being a shitty franchise.

I'm sorry this isn't an echo chamber to confirm your positive opinions on whatever you want to talk about.
Well a part of discourse is trying to get people to understand your perspective so yeah I guess people are trying to change's people's minds in some respect.

However there's nothing wrong with that imo. The problem is that a lot of people take it personally offensive and/or view critique and enjoyment as mutually exclusive from one another instead of saying, "You're right, the game's pace can be glacial but I love every second of it." Its "I didnt find the pace of the game glacial at all." Not that either statement is problematic in of itself, but the later one is often utilized to dismiss and hand wave criticism.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
If people didn't create threads this forum would be dead. Framing everyone who tries ot have a discussion about things on here as narcisisstic is not only a big fucking stretch but also insulting.

The only one trying to elevate themselves here is you right now. You aren't special just because you aren't making threads lmao.
I was talking about the Topic at hand. So my post was talking about the threads of moaning and negativity. I was not talking about everyone who makes threads but only those referenced by OP. So um yeah.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I'm constantly seeing topics along the lines of:

"Am I the only one who didn't like..."
"When does [game] get good, I'm about to quit"
"I don't care if I finish this game anymore"
"I don't want to buy [console]"

etc.

And I see posts like:

"Looks good, will wait until it's $10"
"I don't have time for these big games anymore"

My question for these folks is........why....are you.....here?

I thought this was a forum for gaming enthusiasts. I don't know what type of discussion or reaction you're trying to get out of gaming enthusiasts on a gaming enthusiast forum. So........why are you posting that?

Go outside. Go read a book or watch Netflix. Take a break from video games from a while. Trying to garner empathy or have others join in on your lack of passion, on a forum dedicated to said activity seems really.....well, dumb. At best you're venting to a non-receptive audience. At worst you're dampening other people's enjoyment of the medium.

So just keep it to yourself maybe?
This forum consistently confuses enthusiasm with cynicism.