• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't heard or seen of him during the Switch era at all. I don't know what project(s) he's been supervising or working on, and he's not involved in PR videos or interviews anymore either.

The last time I saw him was on Ubisoft's stage in E3 2017.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I assumed he's been detaching himself slowly from the workflow of Nintendo, just working on things that interest him personally at his own pace. He is a "Creative Fellow", after all.

My assumption is he's just tinkering away on Pikmin 4 for as long as he likes.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
He's sitting under his own vine and fig tree, and no one shall make him afraid.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Probably some mundane thing that he'll eventually turn into a game bears little trace of said mundane thing.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
The theme park / Mario movie / Pikmin 4 and overseeing/consulting gaming stuff is the most probable.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Miyamoto stepped down into a creative role where he can focus on his personal projects. Sometimes he's consulted for input into projects. He was consulted for input into Breath of the Wild, for example.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
filming Directs no one will ever see for games so gimmicky even Nintendo is ashamed to show them

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
Universal Theme Park stuff and Mario film with Illumination

I was thinking about this the other day. I really wish he would get back to being more hands on with the game development.

I know he was the Creative Fellow for Nintendo for awhile. Meaning he just over saw the creative direction of Nintendo, so he probably still has some input in the games a bit. Also in an interview I think he said he's been focusing on training up young talent and just focusing on pass the baton to the next generation of Nintendo developers. Which is great too!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
He's getting old. No disrespect to him but I think he's preparing for retirement these days, making sure Nintendo gets all the headway to continue without his input to the best of their ability.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
He's helping run the company now. I wouldn't expect many new software projects directly from him anymore.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
He's getting old. No disrespect to him but I think he's preparing for retirement these days, making sure Nintendo gets all the headway to continue without his input to the best of their ability.

I think this is likely true. He's helping with the movie and park make sense, but Nintendo needs new talent and it make sense for him to give them room and help establish them in the company.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
He was at E3 this year when they showed of Fox in Starlink at Ubi. But yeah he's basically been absent from a lot of Nintendo projects, at least publicly

Oct 26, 2017
Just thinking about Miyamoto fills me with joy. He is an inspiration and role model in every sense. Such a fucking legend and I will always be grateful of the countless hours of fun he has provided me

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Miyamoto was a producer, general producer and executive producer before since the 2000s. Since the Switch Era, he never picked a project as a normal producer as we can see on credits:

BOTW - General Producer
MK8DX - General Producer
Arms - General Producer
Mario+Rabbids - Supervisor
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga remake - Supervisor
Super Mario Odyssey - Executive Producer

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere

He's not THAT old. He's 66, which is younger than I thought he was. Assuming he is in good health he could probably work for another 20 years or so if he wanted to. But yeah, at 66 with his legacy, he could also retire as a legend and nobody would blame him either. He's probably in a position to do whatever the hell he wants.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
He's not THAT old. He's 66, which is younger than I thought he was. Assuming he is in good health he could probably work for another 20 years or so if he wanted to. But yeah, at 66 with his legacy, he could also retire as a legend and nobody would blame him either. He's probably in a position to do whatever the hell he wants.
My thought is that he won't be directing games again anyway and is mostly supervising things now. The eyes should be on the more fresh and prominent minds at Nintendo who are more directly influencing the style and direction of their games.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Remember when pikmin 4 was near completion? Not Miyamoto. So clearly hes not working on that.

Kovacs

Oct 27, 2017
Unpopular opinion incoming - but whatever it is, I hope it's been more of a mentor and figurehead role than roving hands-on development. Nintendo first party have been on fire the last couple of years and it doesn't seem co-incidental that it's been since a little of his iron-grip influence has released.

The guy deserves all the respect in the world for his achievements and will always rightly be regarded as a legend. However, any project needs to be lead by someone with the drive and vision for that project. There were too many stories coming out of development where a direction or a mechanic was changed due to his involvement (Star Fox Zero, Paper Mario etc) often leading to a product that didn't feel cohesive in the way the current titles do.

Maybe its Admiral Kirk syndrome where he still wanted to be a Captain and on the front lines. If so, give him a team, a budget and let him create and direct again.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
He's still trying to figure the whole "Bowser Jr.'s mom thing"

More seriously, as already said, Mario Movie and Themeparks.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We already know. He's been reference for the Mario movie. I'm sure he's doing theme park work too. He's old and others have taken over. Idk what you expect from him. He's probably doing something with Pikmin 4 and Star Fox at Retro as far as games go.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also hoping he's just tinkering away at Pikmin 4 for as long as he likes. I adore the series as much as he does and working on passion projects at your own pace seems like the dream as late into his career as he is.

Apr 21, 2018
Pikmin 4 when it finally finished its 6 year dev cycle. The omega Pikmin game we have always wanted. Open world. Seamless online world. 90 hour robust single player. All three Pikmin games remastered and included. Voice chat.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Universal Theme Park stuff and Mario film with Illumination

I was thinking about this the other day. I really wish he would get back to being more hands on with the game development.

I know he was the Creative Fellow for Nintendo for awhile. Meaning he just over saw the creative direction of Nintendo, so he probably still has some input in the games a bit. Also in an interview I think he said he's been focusing on training up young talent and just focusing on pass the baton to the next generation of Nintendo developers. Which is great too!

Last time we knew what he was involved with we got a load of people/threads saying how he had "lost it" because he was experimenting with smaller Wii U titles or criticising him for "messing up" Starfox and other games because of his suggestions. I'd rather not know what he's working on to stop all of the jerks coming out the woodwork.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Probably working on the Mario movie since I would imagine it's a huge deal for Nintendo. Outside of that I believe he is a creative consultant/producer for some Nintendo games. I recall some developer interviews where they said Miyamoto would come in play their game and ask the devs a few questions about their project, then leave. The questions were usually hints at what he thinks the game should focus on. But other than that he wouldn't tell the devs much and just leave.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Miyamoto is almost retired these days. At best he shows up to play something onstage or coordenate some projects.

I mean, take a look on Breath of the Wild. At best he's a special consultant these days.

I still have doubts of Pikmin 4 tho.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last time we knew what he was involved with we got a load of people/threads saying how he had "lost it" because he was experimenting with smaller Wii U titles or criticising him for "messing up" Starfox and other games because of his suggestions. I'd rather not know what he's working on to stop all of the jerks coming out the woodwork.
If you are worried about Minamoto's feelings, i'm sure he is fine. He has probobaly criticized games and demanded changes more than anyone else on this board has.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My thought is that he won't be directing games again anyway and is mostly supervising things now. The eyes should be on the more fresh and prominent minds at Nintendo who are more directly influencing the style and direction of their games.

Uh, Miyamoto don't direct a game in more than 20 years. Last one was Ocarina of Time.