• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The FOX Engine has to be one of the best engines in terms of performance. MGS V is pretty much the only open world title that runs at 60 FPS on the base consoles while maintaining that level of graphical fidelity. However, since MGS V it simply has never been used again besides Metal Gear Survive I think, why?

It's surprising that Konami hasn't even put out a cheap MGS remake on there reusing as much of V as they could. We have no idea if games like Silent Hill could work as we know them on that engine, but I'm surprised that the only thing they put out was MGS.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
PES.

Why? Because Konami hates video games now.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Konami loves wasting things. Talent, franchises, engines, their customers' time...

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Warehouse.gif

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Survive use FOX? Genuine question because I don't know.

There are other costs to consider, I don't think you can just use old VA recordings. You also just can't use V assets for some of the characters. They have to be built from scratch. With Koji Pro gone, how do you capture the magic of MGS while breathing new life into it?

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The movement animations in the death stranding look super similar to MGSV to me. Theres no way kojima got to use it/keep it/license it?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Im surprised they never sold it or licensed it to some other companies.
Selling your tech isn't as easy as just zipping up the source and sending it to someone though. Unity and Epic have put a ton of time and effort into making their products best in class; while the Fox engine is great, "we made MGS5 with it and all the docs are probably in Japanese" isn't really a strong selling point

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Im surprised they never sold it or licensed it to some other companies.
No one ever does this because the results would be less than stellar. Just because the end product from a team that created the engine in the first place looks good does not mean that handing it over to another studio not intimately familiar with it=good results.
The movement animations in the death stranding look super similar to MGSV to me. Theres no way kojima got to use it/keep it/license it?
So this is a good opportunity to point out that an engine does not determine a look. The people creating the game do. Here's a wonderful Youtube channel that showcases this.

and a bunch of examples of gameplay systems being recreated in Unity:
Wxaq1s5.gif

EdeIqo0.gif

ay2bd0A.gif

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Konami and EA brutally murdering their MGS and Dead Space franchises are two of the most heinous modern gaming industry crimes I can think of.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
This is the final shot of Raiders of the Lost Ark where the Ark of the Covenant is stored away somewhere in a nondescript warehouse full of generic boxes, thereby becoming lost but waiting to be found.
My younger self never viewed it as that. I always viewed it as more like, "you thought this box was bad? Here it is LOST in amongst thousands of equally bad things".

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The FOX Engine has to be one of the best engines in terms of performance. MGS V is pretty much the only open world title that runs at 60 FPS on the base consoles while maintaining that level of graphical fidelity.
Upon close examination you'd find that MGSV is not doing as much visually or even under the hood when it comes to AI as many current gen open world games. This thread's premise was like many others started based on a lack of information on how engines work. :|

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
My younger self never viewed it as that. I always viewed it as more like, "you thought this box was bad? Here it is LOST in amongst thousands of equally bad things".

Yup. I always interpreted the "TOP. MEN." scene to basically be a sign of how much awful shit there was in the world and that the US Government was basically collecting that shit in order to keep it in their back pocket to use later.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They could have made a shitload of money putting a BR game into FOX Engine, but we're not allowed that because good things are a lie.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Upon close examination you'd find that MGSV is not doing as much visually or even under the hood when it comes to AI as many current gen open world games. This thread's premise was like many others started based on a lack of information on how engines work. :|
Since you seem knowledgeable, what kind of things other open world games do that MGSV that would make the latter be able to run at 60FPS?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I thought it was left at Konami, sometimes proprietary engines just end like that, unused

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Oh I'd love a MGS1-4 remake bundle all done in the FOX engine. Or Decima engine but we know that aint gonna happen.