• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
For those that don't know Sony saw their original concept for the game Flow which was part of their college master thesis and was so impressed they contract them to make three games for the PS3 which ended up being a Playstation version of Flow, Flower and Journey. They were simple games that were designed according to the developers to create emotional responses in the players and were well received within the PlayStation community. Seven (?!?) years later and they have released their latest game Sky: Children of the Light as a mobile exclusive filled with micro transactions. Why leave their player base behind? Why chase the mobile MTX bandwagon? What happened to this company, Thatgamecompany?

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I would argue that it's the player base who left them behind by completely ignoring a game that's literally Journey but better in every sense because they're scared of playing on their phones.

OP
OP
Magog

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
I would argue that it's the player base who left them behind by completely ignoring a game that's literally Journey but better in every sense because they're scared of playing on their phones.
Scared? Who said that? Many of us just do not enjoy playing on a small screen or touch controls. Many people also don't have a high end phone.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they made a successful mobile game that's soon coming to switch. it seems like their old fanbase has kinda ignored the game but they've found new fans for their games.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone is "scared" of playing on their phones lmao. What a weird thing to say.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Sky is fucking amazing. I can't wait for it be released on other platforms, but in the meantime, playing with a PS4 controller synced to my phone has made it possible to enjoy this massively beautiful project. I love their games, and this is by far the most ambitious and beautiful one yet.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I don't think anyone is "scared" of playing on their phones lmao. What a weird thing to say.
There's no better way to describe how half of Era treats mobile gaming. I guess they're scared of being seeing as casuals or something. I dunno.

lol, no "but still." I don't have anything that can play this, so I definitely haven't ditched their games.
It's still coming your way. They'll release this on all phones eventually, and everyone has a phone. They're not leaving anyone behind, as this thread implies. I don't know what else do you want.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Maybe some people just don't like playing on phones? It's literally a compromised gaming experience.

For me, I have a PS4/PS5 so I only really play games on there. It's my favourite way to play games. So I'm waiting on a port.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought their recent game was very well received?
it was
screenshot2021-02-14a6hk80.png

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
For those that don't know Sony saw their original concept for the game Flow which was part of their college master thesis and was so impressed they contract them to make three games for the PS3 which ended up being a Playstation version of Flow, Flower and Journey. They were simple games that were designed according to the developers to create emotional responses in the players and were well received within the PlayStation community. Seven (?!?) years later and they have released their latest game Sky: Children of the Light as a mobile exclusive filled with micro transactions. Why leave their player base behind? Why chase the mobile MTX bandwagon? What happened to this company, Thatgamecompany?

This post assumes a lot.

Also, Sky isn't necessarily "filled" with MTX, nor does it feel like they're "chasing" MTX. It feels much more like they made a fantastic game that was free for everyone to play on a massive install base (mobile) and used MTX to sustain their studio.

OP
OP
Magog

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
The competition in the mobile space isn't exactly stellar. Even if it is a great game why did it take them seven years between releases? Surely there was a big internal shakeup or a massive project canceled along the way. Does anyone have the inside scoop?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe some people just don't like playing on phones?

For me a PS4/PS5 is the only place to play games. So I'm waiting on a port.
that's a valid complaint, but the OP and the thread title makes it seem like they messed up and are struggling because they went after another audience, but that doesn't seem to be the case. the game is well-received, and is doing well for them financially.

The competition in the mobile space isn't exactly stellar. Even if it is a great game why did it take them seven years between releases? Surely there was a big internal shakeup or a massive project canceled along the way. Does anyone have the inside scoop?
what's the issue here, exactly? you'd have a point if they were struggling right now, but they're doing well.
also as others said, you're making a lot of unfounded assumptions.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
This post assumes a lot.

Also, Sky isn't necessarily "filled" with MTX, nor does it feel like they're "chasing" MTX. It feels much more like they made a fantastic game that was free for everyone to play on a massive install base (mobile) and used MTX to sustain their studio.
That's what I'm talking about. The "fans" they've supposedly "left behind" are such big fans that they don't even bother looking into what the game actually is. It's very hard to care about the thread's premise.

1: "Why have they left us behind?"
2: "They haven't. They have a free game that's awesome and that you can play now (or will be able to soon)."
1: "But I don't want to"
2: "Ok"

They're even bringing this to Switch and presumably other consoles down the line.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really excited for Sky to come out on the Switch so I can finally see what I've been missing.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Not really? The point is their was a massive gap in their game production and they came out the other side making a much different game targeted at a completely different audience. The reason I made this thread was to get some answers as to why.
"A much different game" = Literally a direct sequel to every single concept that's in Journey

"A completely different audience" = People that liked Journey

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Not really? The point is their was a massive gap in their game production and they came out the other side making a much different game targeted at a completely different audience. The reason I made this thread was to get some answers as to why.
Your opening post doesn't read that way. It reads like why did they go from doing something so awesome to doing something I don't like on a platform I won't play on/don't like.

Just saying

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Sky is really great and the graphic still awes me even on a phone screen. The social aspect is incredible and intimate, kinda remindnme to Death Stranding and Dark Souls. They still add new contents regularlye and the MTX is mostly for cosmetics.

I hope it'll be ported to PC and consoles soon.

OP
OP
Magog

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
I'm really excited for Sky to come out on the Switch so I can finally see what I've been missing.
That's another confusing aspect of NuThatgamecompany. Why bring it to Switch and not the PS4 which was the home of your previous games after Sony gave you a huge leg up in the industry with a 3 game deal for some unknown college students. PS4 has a larger install base as well if money is all they love.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't say it was a them problem. I said I'm waiting on a patch.

The reality is you're asking a enthusiast gaming forum about a mobile game. It could be the best game in the world, but it would just get shrugs by gaming forums.

And that's what's happened to the game company. They haven't released a new game on a traditional gaming platform... So there's not much to talk about yet.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
That's another confusing aspect of NuThatgamecompany. Why bring it to Switch and not the PS4 which was the home of your previous games after Sony gave you a huge leg up in the industry with a 3 game deal for some unknown college students. PS4 has a larger install base as well if money is all they love.
So the entire basis of this thread seems to be why leave the awesome playstation community to go anywhere else.

No agenda here.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Oh, so this is what this is actually about.

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
I just wanted to correct that Sky is in fact on Android devices and has been for over a year. Fantastic game and glad they're finding success with it. I don't think anything happened to them.... They continue to be successful.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
They practically went bankrupt doing traditional game development.
After their contract ended with Sony they went down a path that would have more potential for keeping the company alive. It's worked.
It's sad because Journey is one of my all time favorite experiences but I'd rather their company survive and have the opportunity to create more than to just be known for the three unique games and die off.

OP
OP
Magog

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
This post assumes a lot.

You say that but there are FIVE in game currencies.

sky-children-of-the-light.fandom.com

Currency

There are several Currencies in Sky that can be used to unlock a variety of items, such as Cosmetics, Spells, Expression upgrades, and more. The game currently has six types available: Candles Hearts Season Candles Season Hearts Ascended Candles Event Currency Candles, or White Candles (not to...

And they seem very integrated into the actual gameplay not just cosmetic items. They even have the typical mobile f2p daily challenges to keep people hooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.