• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The staff stated that they are currently having discussions with trans members of ERA (the people actually wronged by the recent controversies) and will have more to share in the future. Constantly berating them further doesn't really accomplish anything at the moment.

Metacouncil has like one post every five hours, it's not exactly a strong model for ERA's moderation issues.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know of a forum like this one (a gaming forum with a stated focus on minority representation) that is well moderated that this site's staff could model themselves after?

The Waypoint (???) forums have quality moderation from what i've seen, but the community is also far stronger and progressive than this one.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know of a forum like this one (a gaming forum with a stated focus on minority representation) that is well moderated that this site's staff could model themselves after?
this is hard to compare because the era of forums is behind. Nowdays most of the websites I visit focus on blog comments.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
and the discussion is coming up again because nothing's changed since the previous incident.

exactly this ^

and ban statements are frequently vague and usually have a "history of similar infractions" added to it to justify increasingly absurd lengths.
This is silly. Ketkat was an exception. Most of the time, people are banned for the content of their post so "transparency" isn't an issue. It's there for all to see.

Chat shit, get banged.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My point is that this site doesn't care about that like they should.

People have been banned more than me, and they're still here.

My point is. The large discrepancy between then bans. Most of the time a warning would have been enough.
What are you actually getting banned for? I find it hard to believe you've been banned that many times and all of those were undeserved.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are you actually getting banned for? I find it hard to believe you've been banned that many times and all of those were undeserved.
Well the 7 times (as i mentioned. Two were on me) It's for arguing with bigoted scumbags (getting baited) and being accused for going to far. (while nothing be done to them) and calling out the moderation in those threads ("mod whining")

There's a couple of other things, but my memory is shitbum.

Again. And warnings would have sufficed.
From what i could tell, not following mod/staff posts and rules.
And how could you tell that so fast ?
Sorry, didn't consider that. What was the context then?
See above. That's the best from memory. (which is legendarily awful. LOL)

Last edited:

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Forums are a dying internet medium. And a large majority of those that are left have been taken over by the worst fucking dregs of society and 13 year olds that think Hitler wasn't really that bad.

Moderators here, for the most part, are literally fending off a hoard at the gates. I've been helped out numerous times by them directly. I've eaten some bans early on for being extremely harsh towards fascist dickheads, but moderation has since adjusted to the ever changing and frankly terrifying hot hell we are currently living in.

I think some of the criticism being lobbied is a little overly harsh. Although yes, maybe a little extra transparency would be nice. Also maybe a crack down on certain toxic behaviors that have seeped in here lately as we've grown in size.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'm gonna be completely honest Shy, you just come off as someone really salty for having been banned many times. If you want to make your argument in a way that seems less biased, you might want to bring up examples that don't involve you. If people are being banned unnecessarily or avoiding moderation for bigotry, it should be easy for you to notice as a victim yourself. I'm sure it's out there.

Lol I'm sure you're definitely imagining that
I swear there were talks really early on of the money and business side being done differently, I just can't remember what exactly

And then like two months later people asked about it and were shut down real quick

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Name specific changes you want as an act of 'increased transparency'

Apply the same standards of moderation to everyone without bias. Too often folks get to spew the nastiest shit and it's like the mods take no action.

It leads to speculation that bias is at play.
This is silly. Ketkat was an exception. Most of the time, people are banned for the content of their post so "transparency" isn't an issue. It's there for all to see.

Chat shit, get banged.

I wish I could click the 'banned' text and see the exact reason for the ban rather than sometimes having to hunt for that shit.

Forums are a dying internet medium. And a large majority of those that are left have been taken over by the worst fucking dregs of society and 13 year olds that think Hitler wasn't really that bad.

Moderators here, for the most part, are literally fending off a hoard at the gates. I've been helped out numerous times by them directly. I've eaten some bans early on for being extremely harsh towards fascist dickheads, but moderation has since adjusted to the ever changing and frankly terrifying hot hell we are currently living in.

I think some of the criticism being lobbied is a little overly harsh. Although yes, maybe a little extra transparency would be nice. Also maybe a crack down on certain toxic behaviors that have seeped in here lately as we've grown in size.

Honestly, I agree with this. I have some issues regarding the perception of moderator bias but all in all they do good work.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Last ban I got had some vague ban reason, and I didn't see any of my posts marked as banned, so I still have no idea why I received it. Originally I was going to ask about it, but realized... why bother? It'd probably just give them another reason to put a black mark on me. Whatever. I'll just keep my head down.

Oct 25, 2017
i don't think the biggest issue is with the vague ban reasons, but the general tone of mod actions. too often does it come across as someone has an opinion and, because they're a mod, that opinion is the official ruling of the forum's moderation. this thread comes as a response to the roofie thread and the mod in there. i think what would be best for the forum and mods is to take some more care in announcing these big official staff statements. keep the major staff communication posts for important terms of service reminders, but nothing else.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be completely honest @Shy, you just come off as someone really salty for having been banned many times.
TBH honest i am, to a degree. (especially when it comes to that one about my fears of being doxxed. They didn't have to do me like that) And because i genuinely feel they were out of order.
If you want to make your argument in a way that seems less biased, you might want to bring up examples that don't involve you. If people are being banned unnecessarily or avoiding moderation for bigotry, it should be easy for you to notice as a victim yourself. I'm sure it's out there.
I'm trying to keep it to my interaction with moderation policy. (As i don't want to start speaking for other people)

But a lot of the bans that members from the Black Community thread. Have been wrong-headed.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Last ban I got had some vague ban reason, and I didn't see any of my posts marked as banned, so I still have no idea why I received it. Originally I was going to ask about it, but realized... why bother? It'd probably just give them another reason to put a black mark on me. Whatever. I'll just keep my head down.
I used to get salty about getting banned but it's extremely silly when you think about it. So you can't post for a couple days on a forum. It's fine.

Black mark? No one sees your ban history besides moderators. You have nothing to worry about unless you are a multiple offender with severe infractions (racism, bigotry, sexism, etc). Bans for other reasons tend to be short and you can eat a lot of them with out ever being permanently banned.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One complaint I have is I wish they curbed behavior with warnings as opposed to going straight to bans. Yes there are trolls but when you use bans on people for honest mistakes and teaching moments it leaves a really sour taste in your mouth. It makes people scared to post when there is a topic that can lead to even the slightest disagreement.

This. Jesus. Especially if what you're saying goes even slightly against the grain of the loudest members.

I post soooo much less these days because of this.

I like conversation. I like to express if my opinion might be slightly different and enjoy reading intelligent responses that might make me alter my viewpoint.

But not here. Not anymore. You either march in line or you go get fucked.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
These guys didn't build this community, only the site. I think they've done a decent job all things considered.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black mark? No one sees your ban history besides moderators. You have nothing to worry about unless you are a multiple offender with severe infractions (racism, bigotry, sexism, etc). Bans for other reasons tend to be short and you can eat a lot of them with out ever being permanently banned.
Ehhh. I honestly think i've got a black mark on my record.

And i've been banned much longer than people that say vile bigoted shit. That's part of my problem.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Any other forum and threads like these would vanish almost instantaneously. There is more transparency than you think—it's just that you don't always agree with the solutions.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
What? Just be civil and you won't get a ban. You also don't NEED to comment on everything. If there is something that is way out of your wheelhouse and you have an opinion be prepared for pushback from people that know more than you. I don't see the problem. I was banned once and I think the reason was not the best but I think it was more because of a misunderstanding in what I was saying and honestly that's on me for not being clearer.

I straight up think moderation is better here than pretty much anywhere else that manages large community discussions and that this thread is ridiculous.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I agree with a few others in that warnings should be used more than bans in some scenarios. For example, the recent righteous anger at driving home secerely intoxicated is understandable especially if you've lost a loved one to it. Or in the Thanksgiving thread when people were in agreement with the lies being taught kids were bad but wanted to keep the holiday for feasting with families, but communicated it in a slightly dismissive tone a warning would suffice.

With 2 week bans for this sort of stuff you create resentments and stifle discussion for fear of subsequent bans. With warnings, you gently steer discussion.

My 2 cents anyway.

Last edited:

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
Apply the same standards of moderation to everyone without bias. Too often folks get to spew the nastiest shit and it's like the mods take no action.

It leads to speculation that bias is at play.

How do you even begin to do this? Bans are subjective. Even if you yourself were banning 2 different people to your standard you'd get people on your side for one ban but not for the other.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any other forum and threads like these would vanish almost instantaneously. There is more transparency than you think—it's just that you don't always agree with the solutions.
Which has happened on this forum constantly. It's been left open (for now) because of "optics"

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Ehhh. I honestly think i've got a black mark on my record.

And i've been banned much longer than people that say vile bigoted shit. That's part of my problem.
It can be self perpetuating if you feel as if everyone is against you. Leaves you on edge. More likely to stand your ground no matter what.

It doesn't have to be like that.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
What? Just be civil and you won't get a ban. You also don't NEED to comment on everything. If there is something that is way out of your wheelhouse and you have an opinion be prepared for pushback from people that know more than you. I don't get it. I was banned once and I think the reason was not the best but I think it was more because of a misunderstanding in what I was saying and honestly that's on me for not being clearer.
I personally advocate this mentality a lot; if it's not your business, don't conjure some weak, shallow opinion that makes you look ignorant or worse.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
mods are cops pass it on
giphy.gif

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It can be self perpetuating if you feel as if everyone is against you. Leaves you on edge. More likely to stand your ground no matter what.

It doesn't have to be like that.
I appreciate that, and i used to really try to tell that myself all the time.

But after the ban with that post. I don't believe it anymore.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
How do you even begin to do this? Bans are subjective. Even if you yourself were banning 2 different people to your standard you'd get people on your side for one ban but not for the other.

I just see the rules not applied uniformly. Example:

-Thread 1: Poster A calls Poster B a "fucking douchebag idiot".
Result: Poster A banned

-Thread 2: Poster C calls Poster D a "fucking douchebag idiot".
Result: No ban. No warning. Despite the post being reported. Poster C continues to namecall for several more pages.

The rules need to be clear, and followed up on without bias. I've noticed it a lot and for a while. It's only gotten worse.

Oct 25, 2017
Tbf I wish that was the case too, but it's a limitation of the software.

So, I get that it takes engineering time to do this, but it would actually be relatively easy to add a "This user is currently banned, click here to see why" message to each post of the user, and upon clicking it it takes people to the post that has the "banned" message attached to it (you just need the url / id of the message, and the link can be automatically generated). Again, I realize that it takes some engineering effort to do this, but it's not hard from a programming standpoint if you're comfortable with that type of thing. This is such a common need, and would literally save people getting banned themselves, that I'd put it on the top of a proverbial list of needed features for the programmers who contribute to the forum software, should they be so kind to consider it.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Moderation could always stand to improve, to be sure, but the way the users recently handled a situation in which they perceived a moderator to be on the "bad guy side" rubbed me the wrong way.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Tbf I wish that was the case too, but it's a limitation of the software.
Sometimes I think Era could probably most benefit from a full-time web developer to add tools above and beyond what the standard Xenforo package provides. For one, we're probably bigger than the average enthusiast forum. For two, not all the stuff in the package works (as we discovered). For three, better tools are probably needed on you guys' parts.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
I just see the rules not applied uniformly. Example:

-Thread 1: Poster A calls Poster B a "fucking douchebag idiot".
Result: Poster A banned

-Thread 2: Poster C calls Poster D a "fucking douchebag idiot".
Result: No ban. No warning. Despite the post being reported. Poster C continues to namecall for several more pages.

The rules need to be clear, and followed up on without bias. I've noticed it a lot and for a while. It's only gotten worse.
Unless you want to make a thousand page rule book and pay mods to learn and implement it that's never going to happen. Different mods are going to moderate differently. Generalized rules are subject to interpretation. Mods won't always be in every thread. Report features never work as well as intended because you get spammed but a small subset of people.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Wait what, can you explain? This sounds hilarious
The Football Thread was a massive, massive community thread that had ~30 regular posters and a lot of lurkers (like myself); being a sports thread people would shittalk each others teams pretty often. During some kind of international competition (I think it was a Euro) a mod saw someone dragging someone else's country, deemed it too harsh (which it was by the rules of the forum, but nobody in the thread took it seriously because, again, it was a community that was really left alone) and started handing out bans. At one point they locked the thread to action it and when the dust settled like half or more of the regulars saw long bans, some for popping off about the bans already handed out but a lot for stuff tens of pages back; they ended up registering what I think was footballthread dot com or dot co dot uk or something and a decent amount of those posters just completely left. Of course, football being universally popular, the thread continued, but very differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.