• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Delay it for as long as they can, release it globally in markets where Miller's heinous record isn't as publicized, domestically release it in as few theaters and with as little marketing as contractual obligated, bury it on HBO Max and ensure future projects have adequate setup so this film isn't necessary in the slightest.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe this movie is still a year and a week away. Could be enough time for this to snowball into a the biggest Hollywood shitstorm of the millennium. Or, it could fizzle into nothing. Besides here, I don't see many other places obsessing over the Miller news much. I'd love to be a fly in the room at WB.
Before today it was just about Ezra's antics in Hawaii and a questionable relationship with an 18 year old. Today the story about a new 12 year old has come out and more places are picking it up.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
"The Flash star Ezra Miller accused of grooming underage children" is a big attention getter for a giant superhero blockbuster film largely targeted ad a younger demographic, including children to sell merchandise and toys.

The other two aren't really comparable, their audiences are nowhere near as large and their films are not anywhere near as prominent and haven't been for decades.
Which is why they'll recast and move on. Maybe pull the movie's toyline and anything with Miller's face on it. A year is a long time and unless this stays in the news cycle that long, I don't see WB just pulling the plug on the movie or reshooting it entirely (effectively the same as option 1).

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
They flush it. Hashtag Flush the Flash.

(I really hope nobody made this lame joke in this thread, not going to go through four pages to check, though 🤐).

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
they'll just hope the heat around Ezra has died down by the time the movies releases. The general population will not know/care

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
At this point I think Warner Bros just has to just scrap the movie completely.

There's no way around it, the allegations against Ezra are going to overshadow the entire thing. Press tours will be impossible with all the talk of Ezra's wrongdoings, promotional tie-in and merchandising opportunities are out of the question now. You think LEGO company or McDonald's are gonna do Flash stuff when the lead star is accused of child grooming? Not a chance any company will want to associate their brands with this film. There's no way to effectively market it IMO.

Even if they do try and ride things out, do they really wanna put this movie out that apparently sets up the future of the DC Universe when they're just going to recast immediately after? It not only taints this movie but a bunch of their upcoming film slate too.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Can they fit Alan Ritchson in the suit?

This.

Calls for them to cancel it are out of touch to an absurd degree. Imagine it was your money. You cheap sommbitches regularly hum and haw over losing $5 on your next game or gaming subscription due to price changes but are a-okay with suggesting a company should eat $200m in losses. That's enough to bankrupt most studios. Hundreds of jobs lost.

There is no shot the movie doesn't come out. The actors have already been paid and post-production is almost certainly nearing completion. Ezra would literally have to be responsible for someone's death to stop this train. No, they'd have to murder someone on camera wearing their Flash costume to get a company to throw away $200m. They would have to single-handedly destroy the Flash brand. Ezra isn't capable of that level of destruction I don't think. This movie can gross $500m minimum even with Ezra's current behavior. That's money needed to support future projects and salaries from the executives to the janitors.

The only real alternative is if they are willing to reduce their margins more by recasting and filming again. As I've said before, if they can fill the role with a really big, popular actor the movie could go from a $500m movie to an $800m movie or more. Question is if they feel the added investment (read: risk) is worth it and if this would impact their release and filing schedule for the rest of their DCU films. If they want The Flash to be a critical role going forward (think about the role the core actors in the MCU played over the course of several films over a decade), recasting now might be the most reasonable approach. If they don't think Ezra is stable enough to make it a decade (they won't) then they should act now, eat the additional cost for reshooots, and ensure this critical character has a stable actor that they can trust will be there in the role in 2030 (health notwithstanding).

I don't envy their position but yea. A movie will come out. Whether it comes out on schedule or is delayed due to recasting is the only question. I hope they recast but a movie is coming out by hook or by crook.
This right here is the most realistic and level headed post

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
Hell, Elgort was able to do press recently for Tokyo Vice and had his face all over the ads

Edit:

Elgort is a creep, but let's not compare a 20 year old creep with a 17 year old to Ezra Miller grooming a 12 year old for 6 years and now living with them in some sort of "community" in their farm and at same time running around with guns AND grooming TWELVE YEAR OLDS when he is almost a 30 year old. That's not comparable. Elgort situation is creepy, but this is clearly not the same level.

Scratch that. Just read a Twitter thread about Egort and I had no idea that it was that bad:

www.latimes.com

Many people asked Rachel Zegler about Ansel Elgort. No one asked if she was OK

'West Side Story' star Rachel Zegler said she had 'some of the worst mental health days' of her life after Ansel Elgort was accused of sexual assault.

Fuck them both, but I still maintain that the situation here isn't comparable to Ezra. We are talking cultish sexual predator shit, while Egort is a sexual predator that as far as we know don't run around with guns and having reports like Daily Beast article released today.

Last edited:

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Elgort is a creep, but let's not compare a 20 year old creep with a 17 year old to Ezra Miller grooming a 12 year old for 6 years and now living with them in some sort of "community" in their farm and at same time running around with guns AND grooming TWELVE YEAR OLDS when he is almost a 30 year old. That's not comparable. Elgort situation is creepy, but this is clearly not the same level.
Sexually assaulting a 17 year old goes a bit past being a creep.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
They should just CG a mask over his face in all scenes and they record a new scene at the end where he finally takes it off and it's a new actor.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The movie is not exclusively a work by Ezra, hundreds of people worked on that movie and they deserve their work to be seen. At least release it on HBO, preferably without Ezra making anything more from it. After that, never work with them again but help them find the help they need and help justice be served as deserved.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They release it and recast for future movies. No need to make it complicated.

Even that would be complicated. How do they handle the marketing? They also can't possibly do a press tour. Even with Ezra Miller, they can't possibly put Keaton or anyone else in the movie into interviews. The only thing that's going to be asked is about Ezra.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Even that would be complicated. How do they handle the marketing? They also can't possibly do a press tour. Even with Ezra Miller, they can't possibly put Keaton or anyone else in the movie into interviews. The only thing that's going to be asked is about Ezra.

What you are saying is the definition of making things complicated.

Marketing press junkets (Whatever they're called.) are controlled experiences. They can tell them not to ask about Ezra. Or not have them at all.

Get the movie out as soon as possible and move on. This Ezra situation is not going away anytime soon.

Last edited:

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's done filming WB will release it. No way they just eat the entire budget of a blockbuster movie. My guess is they drop the movie then recast Flash going forward. As for how they handle PR and marketing...that'll be interesting to see.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Some people here seem fine throwing away at least 300 mil. I'll send you all my PayPal.

It will be released. Marketed as they intended to market it and just have everyone else promote the movie.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Deepfake him out of it?

if they deepfake it, can they not pay him?

NVM saw above explanation :(

edit some other actor's face on him.

Release it as is, but digitally alter the movie so that Ezra Miller is Reverse Flash, then splice in footage of him being a monster.

It'll work, trust me!

Deep fake/green screen him out.

I want to see them attempt it.

release it but kill him off at the end.

What you are saying is the definition of making things complicated.

Marketing press junkets (Whatever they're called.) are controlled experiences. They can tell them not to ask about him. Or not have them at all.

Get the movie out as soon as possible and move on. This Ezra situation is not going away anytime soon.

Ezra goes by they/them.

Last edited:

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
I haven't seen anything about ezra in msm/local news etc, only here. So it's not like this is a kevin spacey-level news story and they reshoot due to all the pressure. They'll release it, prob replace ezra, and go about thier business

ApexCuddler

Mar 7, 2019
Call it DC's Flashpoint. MinimizeThe Flash. Add more scenes with supergirl, some Batgirl because they work cheap. They can save this.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017

Honestly, shifting marketing wouldn't be too hard because of Keaton & Affleck alone. They can just focus the trailers on the 2 Batman's & even Supergirl. Hell, the can adjust the title if they wanted & call it Flash: Batman Returns if they wanted. And in terms of the interviews; studios can just tell them not to ask about Miller. Studios run those press junkets. Magazines/websites/podcasts aren't going to sour relationships with WB just to try to make an actor feel uncomfortable & talk about the situation. They'll do their soft ball questions about playing a hero & their chicken wing challenges & go about their business all the same. Entertainment Weekly or Vanity Fair will slap Keaton & Affleck & Sasha Calle on their cover and it'll sell just fine.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
They will wait for ages to see if news about Ezra calms down or gets worse. They have Black Adam, Shazam and Aquaman done / coming up so they will probably just sit on it and release it after those, maybe at the end of 2023.

edit - they absolutely won't reshoot it with a different actor, that is madness. Maybe retool it a bit with more of the other characters at most.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
They'll release it. Burning hundreds of millions isn't going to happen. Market it extremely conservatively. Edit and add a few scenes without Ezra. Recast them publicly after. That's all.

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing.

As horrible as it sounds, unless the news about Ezra becomes national news, not much will change. Even then, most people won't tune into whats going on.

Most people going to see this are going to see it for Keaton, and nothing else.

I get that it's an awful situation, and I get that it impacts so many people on this board, but it's a very small minority.

plain

Oct 27, 2017
I've only dabbled with DeepFaceLabs a bit but I think some people are underestimating deepfakes and the power of pretrained models. You can produce some seriously good results in a short, reasonable amount of time. I have no doubt a small team of deepfakers and a fleet of high end pc's can handle the task of deepfaking 1-2 hours of Ezra's face in time for a late 2023 release.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it not possible to cgi over their face with a mask and then have someone else dub the lines? Like im not talking deepfake im saying mask on. whole movie. Judge Dredd it

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They will probably release it. Most people, especially people outside the US, presumably won't care that much. Most people likely won't even know. At least not specifics. They'll probably hear random details out of context and conclude "the lead actor went crazy" or something like that, and shrug and watch the movie.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I'd like them to just hands up and say they'll be recasting Ezra before any other news of this film drops.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the desperation of cancelling this movie. Its a fucked situation but we are grown and understand the situation. You have Michael fucking Keaton returning. Focusing the marketing on Batman is the easy way out. Just jam his name in the title already. Make your money back and move on. Ya'll act like releasing the movie is going to give Ezra a pass or downplay their behavior.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
They'll just release it, unless Ezra commits a crime or is formally accused of something by the justice system.

Then they should cast Wally West and have him be the new Flash of the DCEU. Wally is better anyway.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Would some of you have been arguing for Clownhouse to get released?

You've got to can it. There is no way this film can ever be viewed in the way it was intended to be.

It sucks for fans of the characters but it sucks more for the people directly hurt and possibly mentally scarred for the rest of their lives by Ezra. Put aside your love of Michael Keaton as Batman for a minute.

You can't promote the film starring a presumed child predator as the lovable wise cracking hero.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some insurance they can cash out.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Is it not possible to cgi over their face with a mask and then have someone else dub the lines? Like im not talking deepfake im saying mask on. whole movie. Judge Dredd it
That's how I feel. Put a mask on them anytime they're dressed as Flash. Deepfake the other shit as much as you can and then eat the cost to reshoot the rest of the scenes with a new actor. Eat the shit out of that cost even if it's another 100 million.

Because if WB puts the movie out as it is I think it will hurt the Flash movie brand since Ezra isn't one of the assholes who the public actually likes enough to ignore their antics. Canning the movie is flushing money down the drain too and it will hurt them making future Supergirl and Old Man Batman shit.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
1. say nothing for months
2. announce they are thinking of burying the movie so it never releases
3. wait for the inevitable social media storm of #ReleaseTheMillerCut or whatever stupid hashtag comes out
4. magnanimously announce they will release the movie on HBO Max due to fan demand, say they will donate $100k to a Native American charity and another $100k to a mental health charity
5. a week after release announce that due to the high streaming numbers they are looking at rebooting the DCU with a new Flash actor, black Superman starring Michael B Jordan, a new Meera, The Rock as Black Adam, etc

I hate this because of plausible it reads.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
I feel real bad for the cast and evryone who worked on this. Imagine, 2 years of your work could be canned because of one shitty person.