• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Many fans believe that Waluigi was snubbed from the Smash Ultimate roster because Nintendo simply doesn't care about the character. Waluigi has never been a major character in any of Nintendo's mainline Mario games and has only appeared as a supporting character in spin-off titles. It's possible that Nintendo simply doesn't feel that Waluigi is popular enough to warrant inclusion in Smash Ultimate.

Another theory is that Waluigi was snubbed because he's too similar to existing characters in the roster. Waluigi shares many moves and abilities with Luigi, Wario, and even Daisy. It's possible that Nintendo felt that Waluigi wasn't unique enough to warrant inclusion in Smash Ultimate.

Whatever the reason, it's clear that Nintendo doesn't have much love for Waluigi. The character has been largely ignored in recent years and it doesn't seem like that is going to change anytime soon.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
As many have said by now, his entire 20+ existence has just been as a filler Mario spinoff character. He's like Daisy, except he can't even be a half hearted echo fighter due to how different his body is from Wario or Luigi (whereas Daisy is quite literally just Orange Peach).

He certainly does has popularity on his side, and tbh he might be the only older Nintendo character left that can cause a K. Rool/Ridley style of reaction, so I won't say he won't ever be included for sure. But ultimately I also wouldn't be surprised if they just don't see him as worth the effort regardless.

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
177.jpg

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
H...how? Dude's like...an autumnal rainbow of colours lol. 🍂
Whenever you find yourself confused by things like this, remember that Smash fans once heard Sakurai talking about boss characters, saw a subtitle on screen mentioning boss characters, during a segment dedicated to talking about boss characters, and thought that they were being intentionally faked out when the character hinted at there turned out to a boss character.

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I don't think they consider waluigi much of a real Nintendo character. He was created by Camelot and only used in these spinoff sports games. Nobody within the company cares to advocate for him.

Jan 4, 2018
They got Piranha Plant and R.O.B. on the roster, don't let anyone tell you he's not in the game because he's not relevant

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I think Sakurai focused on characters that:
-Would personally satisfy him
-Were fan-favorite requests in some region
-Were wanted by a Nintendo marketing department, or in the case of third-parties, were characters he could negotiate

And I don't think it was obvious how much fans genuinely wanted Waluigi until after he was deconfirmed as an assist trophy. IIRC prior to that he didn't do amazing in polls, and a lot of the time when I saw people on forums suggesting him (especially before he became kind of a meme), it felt like they were just doing so because he was one of the most notable major Nintendo characters people could think of who's not in Smash.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Because for the next Smash they're going to start fresh with an all new roster. It'll probably be Toad, a Hammer Bro and Waluigi for Mario franchise reps.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai doesn't hate Waluigi.

He hates Starfy.

Don't get your Assist Trophies confused.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
Toad (with a Toadette alt or echo) "deserves" to be in Smash way more than Waluigi. He's been playable in multiple mainline Mario games over the last 30 years, he has perfect attendance in the Mario Kart series, and he/his species even have a few games of their own.

A short, stubby heavyweight who's super fast would make Toad unique enough in the context of Smash before even considering a potential moveset.

Toad getting more emphasis in Peach's Ultimate moveset always felt to me like a concession to him ranking well on the ballot, but deciding he either wasn't a higher priority than other base roster options (both final and runner-ups like Byleth's implied to have been by insiders) or was best suited in an assist role.

That said, I'd love to see Captain Toad/Toadette next time, they have a lot of potential

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I think Sakurai focused on characters that:
-Would personally satisfy him
-Were fan-favorite requests in some region
-Were wanted by a Nintendo marketing department, or in the case of third-parties, were characters he could negotiate

And I don't think it was obvious how much fans genuinely wanted Waluigi until after he was deconfirmed as an assist trophy. IIRC prior to that he didn't do amazing in polls, and a lot of the time when I saw people on forums suggesting him (especially before he became kind of a meme), it felt like they were just doing so because he was one of the most notable major Nintendo characters people could think of who's not in Smash.
Yeah there wasn't like, a big organized campaign for Waluigi in Smash in 2015 like Ridley/Rool/Banjo etc. It's entirely possible he didn't rank high enough to merit consideration, top 30, top 50, whatever metric they use. Now that they are aware of the fan demand it's possible they do add him next time but I could just as easily see him get rejected again.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
There's nothing interested about him. Luigi and Wario have side stories like Mansion and Ware and Land that give them something to get them apart. WaLuigi would have to get the Smash team to make up things to make him interesting.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
If a Tax Cheat like Yoshi can make it into Smash, then surely Waluigi can make it.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
He's a meme and over half the people who meme'd about him wouldn't have actually bought him if he was added.

I don't think he'd be a bad addition to the roster, but imo he's better served as a character you add with the base game.

Last edited:

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
He's a meme and over half the people who meme'd about him wouldn't have actually bought him if he was added.

I guess that's another thing: Waluigi just ain't the type of character that'd be DLC.

9aYlJlV.png

Across both Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate, there's been three broad categories of DLC fighters:

1. popular third party newcomers
2. newer contemporary first party newcomers from games that initially missed the boat for the base game
3. returning veterans (exclusive to Smash 4 as Ultimate had everyone already)

(there's also Pirahna Plant, but all signs point to it originally being planned for the base roster and it was relegated to bonus DLC status due to time)

The time for characters like Waluigi, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, etc would be for the base game lineup. Of course in Ultimate's case they were screwed over there because of there being so many few newcomers this time around due to "Everyone is here!". So they just narrowed it down to three hugely popular ballot requests (K. Rool, Ridley, Simon) and three popular newer characters (Inkling, Isabelle, Incineroar), and also dumped in five echos to pad out the lineup further.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
He wasn't snubbed. He works perfectly as an assist.

The best they could even come up with for his assist is stomping opponents into the ground and then hitting them with a tennis racket. He's got less moveset potential than Pauline. I expect her to get in as playable before Waluigi does.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
In smash, what is supposed to be a playable museum of all things Nintendo, the only reason to not include a character that routinely appears in first party Mario games is sheer trolling

They didn't like how the community kept going on about it and didn't want to be seen as beholden to demands. So someone put their foot down and said 'this is NOT' happening.

Extraordinary really

Dr.Osiris

Oct 14, 2018
Waluigi should have been a fighter but I also think any 1st party character should have been free...

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo are clearly chasers and got non
time for no twinks. It's all about that wario action!

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
There are better non-Mario characters to put in the game first.

And there are still better Mario characters to put in the game too.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Plenty have said it, but it's because he's a nothing character, moreso than a lot of other nothing Mario characters even, given that he hasn't been in a non-spinoff to this day.

The only thing that seems to be appealing about him is the fact that a lot of people DON'T like him or memes. Honestly, his only real use is as a partner for Wario when the situation calls for it.

And even then, he didn't even get into Mario Kart 7. Fucking Honey Queen got picked over him. At least you can say she's been in a mainline Mario game. An assist trophy is almost more than he really should even get, frankly.

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Same reason SNK won't put Team American Sports back in KOF. I'm sure there are people who legitimately want Waluigi to be playable but the lion's share of people were spamming it as an ironic meme.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
I want a 3d wario land with waluigi as the antagonist because wario doesn't invite his boo out more often.

They make up at the end.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Kinda feel like Waluigi is going to be the K.Rool/Ridley of the next installment, in whatever form it takes. Which is to say, I think he's pretty likely.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
As far as I know, a Nintendo-owned studio has not developed a stealth game

This is my humble request that Nintendo put Wario and Waluigi into their own stealth/heist game so we can have a justification for Waluigi in the next Smash

Thank you for coming to my Nintendo Direct

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I like to think Waluigi is on the tingle level of popularity. He is a pervert that the internet loves, and Nintendo know people live, so we will get some weird Japan only balloon fight game.