• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Myself? Eh. I still don't care for that particularly plot twist mostly because the entire point of the incident is that it was Peter's fault indirectly.

Now I know the central theme of the movie is Forgiveness and it's a big part of Peter's arc in this movie. I wish Raimi didn't have him say "I forgive you..." I wish he had just had Peter say... "go to your daughter." and leave it at that.

But yeah, this just felt like something that was done so we could continue the trend of every villain being connected to Peter's personal life.

...I really wish Harry was the sole main villain of this movie. It would've been so perfect.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It's very dumb. Like... I get wanting to give someone for Peter to hate to justify the use of the black suit, and tying something to Uncle Ben's death would certainly do that. Especially if it was someone that Peter himself was having a genuinely hard time fighting on his own.

But like... just focus on Harry. Make Harry's revenge just that vicious and spiteful that it drives Peter into that spiral.

Sandman was a cool physical opponent, but like, just make him an Oscorp experiment deliberately set loose by Harry (a very Osborn thing to do).

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I don't think Harry's story is enough to fill one movie. There would be padding. Sandman was great, having it retconned with Uncle Ben's story was not.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
It was a weak reason to bring back Cliff Robertson. Also it doesn't matter who killed Ben because Peter could've stopped him and didn't.

It's weird but not a reason to hate on SM3.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm indifferent to that aspect of the movie, but I *really* didn't like when Peter just let Sandman go after the big climactic fight at the end. The whole "I forgive you" and the Sandman slowly turning back into sand was so incredibly hokey that it's the thing I dislike most about that movie.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
As much as I actually love 3 and consider it a really bad good movie, this is definitely one of the issues that is wholly a negative.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Sandman was great, having it retconned with Uncle Ben's story was not.
yeah, they had enough material there that there really wasn't a point to tie it in with Peters backstory

peter was already going through the ringer with the symbiote and his personal life, they didn't really need any other justification for him going hard-in on sandman

May 26, 2018
So freakin' goofy. It was a good moment in the original Spider-Man, they didn't need a shocking twist.

Things can be good just by being honest.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually one of the smartest and best written things about the entire movie.

It wasn't a great movie.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm indifferent to that aspect of the movie, but I *really* didn't like when Peter just let Sandman go after the big climactic fight at the end. The whole "I forgive you" and the Sandman slowly turning back into sand was so incredibly hokey that it's the thing I dislike most about that movie.

Like I said....

He should've just said

"Go. Go to your daughter."

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Actually one of the smartest and best written things about the entire movie.

It wasn't a great movie.

Smart? The story would've worked without it, exactly the same themes and resolution. That's not a sign of smart, that's a sign of, "I really want to be finished with this movie, especially since the studio is shoving Venom down my throat..."

If your movie or for that matter, story, can resolve the exact same way and keep its theme without a certain scene or part, then it doesn't need to be in there unless you want to pad it or don't care. Raimi didn't seem to care.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, they had enough material there that there really wasn't a point to tie it in with Peters backstory

peter was already going through the ringer with the symbiote and his personal life, they didn't really need any other justification for him going hard-in on sandman

I don't know... did you ever see how the 90s animated series handled him having the symbiotic... he gets REALLY over the top.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I had no problem with it, my only problem was Peter going straight to revenge mode and not thinking about the guy he killed

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't care for it. But didn't really ruin the movie for me either. In fact i would probably put it at the bottom of the "what went wrong" list.

Oct 29, 2017
Imo reveals an issue with some of the 00s super hero sequels in which they tried to piggy back on the emotional weight of the origin stories that were already used in the first films. Similarly to how Nolan wanted to make Bane part of the Ra's al Ghul and Talia al Ghul story. It's an obsession with wanting superheroes trilogies to come to a full circle at the end even after already being able to move pass that on a previous sequel that ends up being better.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The movie had a lot of problems. I didn't like that twist, but by the end it was the least of my concerns.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's dumb because he didn't have to be Uncle Ben's killer. He could have just been the getaway driver and that would be enough to motivate black suit Spider-Man.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Sandman was a good character but him being Uncle Ben killer was completely unnecessary the movie would have largely been the same without it, Peter would have already been pushed into black suit by harry Osborn and his life falling apart no need fof that.
The Uncle ben should have been left in the first movie

Sandman being a victim of Peter anger would have been fine