• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alastard

Nov 6, 2018
I love it, that ending is fucking amazing.
The moment the song started playing was the moment I started tearing up because I was so overcome by joy.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I felt like it suddenly became a 3D sonic. I like it, but I forget about it and every time I remember it it feels like a false memory.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Oddly it fits the tone of the moment, and the game as a whole.

That said, I do prefer the more serious/dramatic Bowser encounters.

Oct 25, 2017
I was like..."Oh fuck Mario has gone full Sonic and I like it."
My first reaction and it was amazing.

This is why I've always loved Sonic more than Mario when they actually try, failures and all. You get wild moments like these. Live and Learn and Open Your Heart playing over their respective finales are some of my favorite moments in gaming.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't the type of song I expected out of a Mario game(cheesy pop), but I went along with it because the bop combined with the rush of controlling Bowser was grand.

Though I still like Jump Up more.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just played through this for the first time last night. I loved it because it gave a pop rock sensibility to an already stirring moment.

Definitely that Splatoon influence, isn't it? Feels like Nintendo has started to gain a "pop" sensibility for the first time, something that has really been the domain of Sega for decades.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It was glorious. A perfect match for the ending. Felt like a kid watching Sunday morning cartoons.

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
Wasn't a fan. I don't like the lyrics of Jump Up Super Star either, but at least the actual music was catchy as hell.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It's the perfect amount of cheese to send off a whimsical game like Odyssey.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
It made for a neat moment, but I feel like it's not that great of a song when listening on its own. Works way better in the context of the game.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to it again it gives me strong 2000s Disney Channel Original Movie vibes lmao
And in a good way

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Feels unlike usual Mario, but I really like it.

When I played through the game first time and that tune suddenly started playing I had a reaction of "whaaaat the hell is going on? .... I'M INTO THIS"

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It left a smile on my face. And im a grumpy bastard.

I only recently played and finished the game and every other game seems dog shit in comparison and i cant bring myself to play any more games right now.

Haelsly

Oct 25, 2017
Love it. Perfectly ridiculous and joyful, and made the moment even more memorable.

Nov 27, 2017
Legitimately may be my favourite videogame moment ever. Loved it.

Odyssey's handling of its story beats is super underrated in my eyes. Its pretty much the perfect mix of silliness and actual stakes.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
It was absolutely fantastic, but nothing compares to the New Donk City festival sequence. THAT made me legitimately tear up.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had a grin on my face the whole time. And then the fantastic ending cutscene.

Great finale.

Oct 29, 2017
It sounds like a cheap, knockoff anime intro song. I wasn't a fan at all. Didn't feel climactic, it just felt a bit jarring and out of nowhere. It certainly made the scene memorable, but it took away any sense of triumph from the ending too.

It's still better than Lifelight though, which is an absolutely awful vocal song that clearly wasn't ever meant to be a vocal song.

Jump Up Superstar is pure class all the way through though! (Though Fossil Falls/Main Theme is actually the true best song in the game!)

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
It really game me a Sonic Adventure 2 City Escape vibe. Plus using it for the the very end where Mario throws his cap at the camera *chef's kiss*

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't like it nearly as much as Jump Up, but it was fine for the part it was playing at.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
It's fine (if a bit weird in context), but anyone saying it's better than Jump Up is just straight up wrong. That's an instant Mario classic right there.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't great. Didn't seem to fit the content. But Odyssey is full of incongruous moments. I didn't find it offensive or anything but it didn't add to the scene. I don't understand the praise. I feel thoroughly on the outside of whatever scene it appeals to. It's like looking through the window at a furry convention. More power to you guys. I'm not going to hate. But I don't get it.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Felt very cringe, especially when playing. Didn't like the Smash Ultimate voiced theme either and wish I could hear the instrumental versions without thinking of the lyrics (not that it has anything to do with Odyssey)

Jump Up Superstar is excellent though