• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Sure we were introduced to the also great Jump Up Super Star! during the games preview cycle. But what do Era think about "Break Free(Lead The Way)" for the Bowser possession. In my opinion I like it better than Jump Up Super Star! Just the right amount cheese!

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
...I think they're both dumb (and the Smash Ultimate theme too, while I'm badmouthing lyrical video game songs).

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I too prefer it to Jump Up Superstar. Was very happy that I was able to experience this as surprised after the other song had been played for months prior to release.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
It sounded like an opening to a bad anime. So...I guess it's OK, but felt odd when hearing it in the context of the game.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I liked it, but I kinda found it hard to hear above all the environmental noise going on during that section, and I've not listened to it much outside of the game.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I managed to avoid finding out about it before playing the game a few weeks ago, it was a really cool surprise. I have to listen to it again though.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
After all of Mario Odyssey's unintentional references to the Sonic Adventure games (rolling down hills! A city with realistic humans!) that ending was the absolute cherry on top. I loved it.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
Better than the other one and helped made the ending even more epic and unforgettable.

Too bad the postgame was kinda meh and tainted my overall enjoyment of the game.

MikeH

Dec 3, 2018
I like how it sounds in the context of the game, unexpected and even a bit refreshing. That said, the song itself is...meh.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was so shook when it started playing. Combined with the crumbling environment exploding while I was controlling Bowser it was the most anime thing I'd ever seen in a Mario game and it was fan-fucking-tastic. The whole time I couldn't believe what I was playing.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Corny as hell and I loved it. Please, more cheesy vocal tracks in Nintendo games, even the whack ones are great (Xenoblade X...)

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
It turned the finale from a good one into the series' best.

edit: And the way it kicks back in during the ending? Perfection.

Last edited:

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
It really caught me off guard. I loved the whole section and was smiling all the way through it. The game didn't really invoke much of that as the game plays it too safe, but that ending sequence was top notch.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite Mario songs, it was such an unexpected surprise. Combined with the surprise of controlling Bowser and it made Odyssey have a really good ending.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The finale to Super Mario Odyssey was perfect and Break Free was the cherry on top.

Oct 27, 2017
Was honestly incredible when I first heard it. Not to mention how it went along with taking over Bowser and escaping

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Going against the grain here but I don't like this song at all. I also don't like Jump Up either. My favorite music in Odessey is hands down far and away Steam Gardens.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
It caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting a song like that on my Mario game, it's just weird...

I loved it.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
When I first heard it I was like, "YO THEY WENT FULL SONIC!" Instantly brought me back to being 10 years old and playing sonic adventure 2 on Gamecube. Odyssey is my favorite Mario game.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A little "Sunday morning cartoon" ... and perfect. Cheerful and fun and fits the Mario-verse nicely (especially with a finale like that)

Oct 26, 2017
It was a bit weird to hear it in a Mario game in all the best ways possible. Not as good as Jump Up, Superstar, that song is a treasure, but still a fun listen during the final boss fight and in Smash Ultimate in the New Donk City stage