• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Yall got to stop worshipping money and wealth and stop despising poor people. So never.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
and im saying that the requirement to have been in office in whatever capacity may bar good people as well. Who says its going to be celebs only that will be barred?
Every requirement bars good people.

Age requirement? Bars good people.

Needing to be a citizen? Bars good people.

Let's open the floodgates then. No rules to be applicable for presidency, which I remind you is the most powerful position on the planet. But who cares, right? Who cares that even McDonald's requires a high school education or GED to be applicable? They're elitists, that's what they are.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every requirement bars good people.

Age requirement? Bars good people.

Needing to be a citizen? Bars good people.

Let's open the floodgates then. No rules to be applicable for presidency, which I remind you is the most powerful position on the planet. But who cares, right? Who cares that even McDonald's requires a high school education or GED to be applicable? They're elitists, that's what they are.
Winning votes should be the main requirement though. Its sad that voters are deluded enough to give votes to people like trump I do agree to that.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Do what we did this election but for every election. Democracy doesn't work if you don't participate. Also we need younger people in office too. There's a clear distinction between the younger folks and the older ones. The young simply do not put up with or entertain the right's bullshit.

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of things but I'm very focused on smashing the propaganda machine. As long as they're allowed to freely radicalize/brainwash people via cable and social media, we'll just keep sliding closer to utter chaos.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
Abolish the Electoral College
Ban and punish Gerrymandering
Term limit and reduce everything from Senate to Supreme Court
Remove tax exempt status from religious groups
Expand treason umbrella to include crimes committed, supported and ignored by the current GOP

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Find some way to change the voting habits of fly-over county. It shouldn't be this hard to overcome the Republican Senate, but it doesn't help that the left is way more concentrated to specific areas.

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Honestly I don't know if you do. Right now things are looking bleak. We need real change but I don't know if it is possible with how the U.S. government functions and will function under Biden.

This article communicates some of my worst fears for the future:

America's Next Authoritarian Will Be Much More Competent

I suspect that the Republican leadership is sanguine, if not happy, about Trump's loss. It's striking how quickly Fox News called Arizona for Biden, and how many Republican leaders have condemned the president's rage-tweeting and attempts to stop the count. They know that Trump is done, and they seem fine with it. For them, what's not to like? The Supreme Court is solidly in their corner; they will likely retain control of the Senate; House Republicans won more seats than they were projected to; and they are looking at significant gains in state Houses as well, giving them control over redistricting for the next decade. Even better for their long-term project, they have diversified their own coalition, gaining more women candidates and more support from nonwhite voters.

And they have at their disposal certain features that can be mobilized: The Electoral College and especially the Senate are anti-majoritarian institutions, and they can be combined with other efforts to subvert majority rule. Leaders and parties can engage in voter suppression and break norms with some degree of bipartisan cooperation across the government. In combination, these features allow for players to engage in a hardball kind of minority rule: Remember that no Republican president has won the popular vote since 2004, and that the Senate is structurally prone to domination by a minority. Yet Republicans have tremendous power. This dynamic occurs at the local level, too, where gerrymandering allows Republicans to inflate their representation in state legislatures.

The situation is a perfect setup, in other words, for a talented politician to run on Trumpism in 2024.

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
Short term, make some requirements for presidency official instead of gentlemen's agreements. Never in my life I could understand how someone with such a shady background can run be nominated.
This is a big one, too. Lots of stuff that Trump skirted around was because every other president just had the decorum to self-regulate and follow precedent, an unrepentant shitheel in the job just chucks gentlemen's agreements out the window like yesterday's trash.

Releasing tax records, maintaining regular press briefings, divesting of conflicts of interest, all that needs to be properly enshrined in law somewhere instead of just being a mere suggestion.

Oh and the ability for one man to just unilaterally slap sanctions and tariffs on other countries with practically no support behind for them from either party going in? That shit was nuts, how the hell do we have NO checks on that happening? What the FUCK.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Vote. Register more people to vote. Fight to improve voter protection laws and access. A significant portion of the country isn't interested in what we are selling. So make sure that the people who are hearing our message can vote and have their votes counted.

Smithy

Oct 25, 2017
Education doesn't fix racism. How many educated white people voted for Trump?
How to fix racism? Yes, with proper education, teaching about and implicitly living liberal values. Racism can very well be fixed. Those people you mention most possibly didn't have a liberal environment to grow up. But the environment you grow up, whether it's a conservative or liberal one, defines your future, it's actually the biggest indicator for which values people inherit (oh wonder). So yes. Education is the answer, through teaching liberal values, or to summarize - raising your fucking kids properly.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Fix voting rights, gerrymandering etc

This.

Fixing gerrymandering and voting rights would make a HUGE difference on the political landscape of America, and should be a priority for Biden. Not because it would essentially give democrats huge margins in many states, but because people SHOULD be allowed to vote, like the felons in Florida that were barred from voting because they had fines against them.

I'm very interested in seeing how this ends up

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Completely overhaul the broken system in the US, abolish the two-party system and make it so that someone without significant experience as a politician can never hold the highest office.

And in the end, maybe just completely abandon the idea of presidencies and instead have a group of people from different parties, backgrounds, ethicities and ages ruling the country together with no one holding supreme power over the others. That way, if one of those people turns out to be a goof, you don't have a complete moron running the entire country for four years.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The Trump presidency revealed how utterly stupid and vile nearly half of our electorate is, so I expect another like him sooner rather than later. They may not win, but they're coming.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea. I mean, if coronavirus had never occurred (or if he had even semi-competently handled it) he probably would have been re-elected.

I'm so happy he lost, but that he got 71 million votes fucking up so unbelievably badly (and also increased his minority vote since 2016!) still has me shook. I'm not sure what would happen if a less self-destructive version of him appeared, one that could at least fake empathy and manners.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Materially improve the lives of the working class with universal social safety nets and benefits.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Part of it seems to be that we have to find a way to make people give a shit about things beyond themselves or their local communities.

Yeah idk. Organize at least but I'm not holding out hope here.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Fix gerrymandering, fix/remove the EC and then it would be extremely difficult for would be trump's to win, at least on the national level.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
Put a limit on anyone older than 55 running... the same way no one younger than 35 can be president.
Eliminate the electoral college.
Give DC, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands senate seats.
Regulate the everloving fuck out of media organisations so they have to fact check every statement.
Spend at least half as much on education as on defence.
Make college free, or heavily subsidised.
Stop local control over school boards, and ensure civics classes for all students.
Make voting mandatory.
Ban political appointment to agency director positions... they should come from within the organisation.
Term limits for senators and congresspeople.
An independent commission against corruption.
Have actionable, enforcable, penalties for fucking up... for ignoring subpenas. This presidency, and Mitch, have shown that a system built on good faith doesn't work if people don't act in good faith.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Be willing to call a spade a spade and retire Godwin's Law, amongst many other things already mentioned.

Pretty sure both of those are already covered by most corners of the internet but boy the world needs to be able to say "THIS PERSON IS A FASCIST" more readily next time(s).

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Bolster voter rights in a big bad way.

Start with the John Lewis Voting Rights Act.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ever again? Fix the education system, ingrain into kids how civics and the government works and why science is so important. Start regulating social media like yesterday with huge penalties for fake news distribution, and start taxing ultra rich mega corps fairly and distribute that money to help low income citizens. Also cyber attacks on Russia to take down the FSB and Putin. Enhance voting rights and make it easy to vote.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Everything goes back to education, with a dash of voter rights.

Also should probably patch up all those 'rules' that were held together by nothing but norms. Just in case.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'm not a theoretician vis a vis how much a 'democracy' america actually is... but in the gist you want democracy you get a trump or two about every 300 years. there is no failsafe

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
At the very least a system where only someone from the senate or house is eligible to become president. It's a total joke that there is no qualification needed to obtain the highest office in America

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are age restrictions on becoming President. There should be a limit in serving any public office first to be eligible

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Make sure whoever runs again someone like him is unfuckable. Trump threw everything at Biden, and nothing stuck. Not to say people have to be squeaky clean, but if there's any skeletons in your closet or perceived skeletons, you're fucked.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Step 1: Don't be a centrist shitter party. Reading the AOC interview is infuriating. If Democrats fail to make positive tangible change in the next 4 years and instead full on cater to status quo establishment centrism the US is fucked.