• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Creator of, among many, MANY other things, Astro Boy, Black Jack and Kimba the White Lion. Said by many to be the "Godfather of Manga". A list of his works are here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Osamu_Tezuka_manga

latest

I know that a lot of people on here at least know of his series, but I want to know your honest thoughts on the man and his work.

Last edited:

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why would his manga not be appealing anymore?
People don't have problem reading older novel, so I don't see why the same can't be applied to manga.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Black Jack is a masterpiece, and I still go back to reread some of the books every once in a while. The stories he has written are still great and engaging, and the only outdated thing about them is the paneling; very simple by today standards.

Last edited:

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Creator of, among many, MANY other things, Astro Boy, Black Jack and Kimba the White Lion. Said by many to be the "Godfather of Manga". A list of his works are here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Osamu_Tezuka_manga

I know that a lot of people on here at least know of his series, but I want to know your honest thoughts on the man and his work. Does his manga have appeal for the modern generation, or is he just another relic of a time long ago?

His best works are timeless and still in the highest echelon of story-boarding/narrative/emotion today. And many of his works are extremely dark in tone, covering the evils of men and environmental themes.

Tldr; Just read Phoenix.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I need to read more Black Jack for sure. It's got so many of his big themes in a pulpy package, much easier to swallow than his larger novels. Still, I love the darker works of his I've read (MW and Ayako this far).

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Astro Boy is one of the greatest manga I have ever read and the art is so fucking good

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You're right. It's just that certain parts may be against some sensibilities today.

Yeah I forgot how some people on this board are lol.
To answer your question, I first read Astro Boy in 200x, and it is still among the best manga I've read.
Osamu Tezuka is not grandfather of manga for nothing.
His manga might look simple on the surface but they're usually quite deep, touching various topics, with characters that are not just made of trope like in many modern manga/anime.

cdr Jameson

Oct 27, 2017
Love Tezuka!
The breadth of his work is unparalleled.
Right now I am reading his Boudha series. It is pretty heavy but so good.
He does heavy drama and slapstick comedy on one page without it feeling jarring.
He plays with the medium like no other.

What are his best works? The volume of his work is intimidating.
On the top of my head I have read The 3 adolfs, (parts of) Astroboy, Phoenix and MW.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I would say the majority of his work holds up fine today. For my money his masterworks are Buddha and Message to Adolf.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Love it. But more of a fan of his more obscure and dark works. Dude had really fucked up stories. Ode to Kirihito among my favourites.

7995171.jpg

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
One of the greatest ever.
His body of work is just so varied and incredible.

One lesser known short story I like is Clockwork Apple.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Insanely prolific, not every single work is great but the average quality is still pretty high. Amazing knowledge of human nature for someone who spent his life working in his studio (with the occasional visit to western-themed cafés). Ayako is my favorite.

Edit: forgot to mention how amazing it is that by the mid-60s he was considered an outdated has-been, and while he did struggle in the beginning, his career managed to outlive and outperform most of the gekiga people who rejected him.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I adore Tezukas works. I've been reading Astroboy for a long while and youd think to look at it that its always mickey mouse innocence and a childlike simplistic view of the world. Then two seconds in you start noticing that he never hid death from the reader or prejudice. BOTH were always confronted all constantly. I usually describe what astroboy is like by him walking outside and going "Golly! Thats sure a lot of dead bodies!" because thats what it felt like sometimes. Like watching a child confront the horrible aspects of life while doin all they could to remain a wholesome optimistic child.

I love their works. Kimba had much the same tone with death being a real constant. Often the end of every Tezuka chapter or story is everyone dying tragically and the hero learning a lesson.

I wanna gush a ton but the works are so many and so varied its hard to describe all the good approaches and lessons he'd put in them. All I can say is Tezuka was and still is amazing. There is a big reason its all stood the test of time. Because its adorable core was all built around facing the real truths the world has and trying to maintain a good heart through it all and trying to maintain your optimism and hope.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
You're right. It's just that certain parts may be against some sensibilities today.

So what are you trying to do here exactly? Was anyone trying to cancel Tezuka until you rolled up impliying we would?

Anyway, the only work of his I read all the way through was Ode to Kirihiro but I remember liking it a lot. I need to go back and read more Black Jack as well. Some of his stuff is kinda unintentionally hilarious due to how awkward or overdramatic scenes can get but that just comes with the territory of older manga - Devilman was the same way and it's one of my favorites now. I love stuff like his weird little in-jokes and seeing different Star System "actors" in different roles.

Possibly off-topic but I'd love to see an Omega Factor remake one of these days.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Guy was a bonafide visionary in comics and film. Buddha and Phoenix still feel fresh today. If you haven't seen it yet it's worth checking out Broken Down Film. It's a shame he didn't do more outside of limited animation.

So what are you trying to do here exactly? Was anyone trying to cancel Tezuka until you rolled up impliying we would?
I have a modern reprint of his 1949 version of Metropolis (not much to do with the 1927 original or the later animated film) and the intro has a written explanation that they took the decision to keep the racial stereotypes intact. That's an aspect of his work we'll have to accept.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Buddha and Phoenix are masterworks. His star system is very clever as it gives you favourites and recognizable characters throughout this work. Frederik L. Schodt's book Manga! Manga! has some good insight into Texuka. As does the cover story from an old issue of Pulp, 'The Sex and Violence of Osamu Tezuka', both are worth seeking out.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
A masterful artist and creator.

dude was a machine, the clip at he worked was insane. He was casually making weekly series, no problem.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
his works are masterpiece. Black Jack will be one of the best manga ever made, alongside Dragon Ball and 20th Century Boys

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
A masterful artist and creator.

dude was a machine, the clip at he worked was insane. He was casually making weekly series, no problem.
Apparently he produced over 150,000 pages over his career. From his debut in 1946 to his death in 1989, if I've got my maths right that's about 10 pages a day...assuming he never took a day off.

I mean, what the fuck? That's not even including animations he oversaw.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Apparently he produced over 150,000 pages over his career. From his debut in 1946 to his death in 1989, if I've got my maths right that's about 10 pages a day...assuming he never took a day off.

I remember hearing even when he was on the way to meetings in elevators he was drawing. Other mangaka tell you a weekly schedule is basically hell and tezuka was basically rocking cheat codes during it.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I need to read more of his works, thankfully where I live they're being re-printed one by one in a pretty slick collection.

I also loved the first half of Message to Adolf, the second half... Much less so, but still alright.

Tezuka also really liked Carl Bark's work, as shown in this oh so wholesome card.
He certaintly was a man of taste.

(search for "Osamu Tezuka Sakuga" on YT if you want to see some REALLY risque animation)

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Black Jack is a masterpiece, and I still go back to reread some of the books every once in a while. The stories he has written are still great and engaging, and the only outdated thing about them is the paneling; very simple by today standards.

His use of paneling in some of his works is pretty brilliant if you ask me. The one story where every part of the page was a different storyline going on simultaneously was amazing especially when one character dies and that part of the page remains blank for the rest of the story

mrtnmntrl

Nov 5, 2017
Montreal
To me, one of the greatest of the medium. Easily top 3 in historical and cultural significance (I'd say Hergé and Kirby are the other two).

Last edited:

cdr Jameson

Oct 27, 2017

His office was upstairs on a mezzanine and he would throw his pages over the railing for his assistants to pick up and finish.

When he wanted to see a movie he was only interested in certain scenes, so he would time his travel to the movie, go the theater, enter in time, watch the scene he wanted to see, leave the theater and get back to work.

A legend.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
His office was upstairs on a mezzanine and he would throw his pages over the railing for his assistants to pick up and finish.

When he wanted to see a movie he was only interested in certain scenes, so he would time his travel to the movie, go the theater, enter in time, watch the scene he wanted to see, leave the theater and get back to work.

A legend.

The threads where he talked about fast forwarding through shows to get to the good parts would have been legendary.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His Buddha series has been big for me, I really adore it and it taught me some important spiritual and life lessons. I read a lot of the Phoenix series 18ish years ago and loved that too.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
It's one of my favourite author, his seinen stuff is really something even by todays standards, truly a legend! I've been reading everything from him that got translated, and i own a lot of them too!

Even went to his museum in takarazuka!

Here's a small glimpse of my collection

20191212_153654.jpg

Not everything is here but i don't want to bother searching for everything in my library, lol

My favourite work from him would probably be Barbara

barbara-cover11.jpg

it even got a movie adaptation last month, but i don't know if it's good

Last edited: