• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
One piece has two now.
I should also mention Togata from Fire Punch. He is probably one of the better written trans characters in manga.

tumblr_plnuq93OzT1woet65o1_1280.png

Last edited:

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
I played (and really enjoyed) Celeste, but I never got the impression Madeline was trans.. I think the only thing that I recall is from the DLC (which I haven't played) there was a small pride and trans flag in the background art right? What are the other examples?

Indeed, I don't think there is much more than that. I think there is also a picture of her younger with short hair. But, in a way, that is also good : that the Trans aspect is only a part of the character without being the focus. There is a difference between trans character serving a message about being trans and trans characters just "being" in a story of their own. Both are good, in a different way.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Brilliant thread OP and glad people have covered those I'd put forth already. Lots of other examples for me to check out too so appreciate it.

I played (and really enjoyed) Celeste, but I never got the impression Madeline was trans.. I think the only thing that I recall is from the DLC (which I haven't played) there was a small pride and trans flag in the background art right? What are the other examples?
That and the photo with her mother when she was younger seemingly presenting as a boy.

qb1mf18q6sl31.jpg

As Micerider mentioned it's nice to have someone being trans without it being a central confirmed focus of the character. The same with Blanche being non-binary in Pokemon Go. The idea that everyone is cishet unless explicitly stated otherwise is something we should try to move away from, as many see that as the boilerplate that everyone is unless they know different. We don't look to other characters that aren't stated as cis and question their cisness. Unfortunately with where it's at unless it's blown up in bubble letters people will endlessly pick at 'well actually' stances to try to push back on the notion that characters could be or are trans/nb, even when more subtle indicators are there.

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Please, everyone, watch Disclosure.

The film The Crying Game, has a trans character.
This is far from an example of good representation.

I really liked Rayon in Dallas Buyers Club, and the way her and Ron's relationship developed throughout the movie. The dynamic between them was more memorable than the main plot of the movie imo
Unfortunately, though it was not a bad portrayal, Rayon was a character invented for the movie to make the cishet main character look better, played by a cis man.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I just finished Adrian Tchaikovsky's latest book, Doors of Eden (he wrote the amazing Children of Time and Children of Ruin), and it features a transwoman as one of the more important characters. There is some shitty transphobic moments at the hands of the story's villain, but she's a great character.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Lily from Zombieland Saga

latest

When the other characters learn she is a trans, you would expect coming from an anime they would try to mock her or something distasteful. Not here. They accept Lily and continue treating her like always.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin has a trans character.

I don't know if it's good (maybe someone else can expand), like not a big deal was made it was just oh, this character is trans....moving on, she is a really smart geochemist and she is a friend (the plot keeps going).

61Z2Ki-oQtL.jpg

Great books, if anyone needs something to read.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hot take: I think Madeline being trans in the Celeste DLC is some straight up cheap ret-conning that actively makes me upset that the creators didn't put that character detail at the forefront of the base games story.

It seems cowardly considering how it adds almost nothing of value to the story or character.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Pose manages to find the balance between presenting interesting characters with heart without becoming too cliche/preachy.
The time period presented trans voices of color difficult challenges. Pose doesn't pretend they were easy to address.
yeah the time period is a bold choice but also an important one. I applaud them for going full bore

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
Hot take: I think Madeline being trans in the Celeste DLC is some straight up cheap ret-conning that actively makes me upset that the creators didn't put that character detail at the forefront of the base games story.

It seems cowardly considering how it adds almost nothing of value to the story or character.
trans characters don't have to be defined by transness. it is often preferred for it to be a footnote and everyone just continues on their day, because there's Enough Media About Trans People Suffering
also queer people were definitely reading her as such before farewell, but people always act really weird about queer hermeneutics

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Cis guy here, so keep that in mind, but:

I just saw a Swedish movie called Min pappa Marianne, or My dad Marianne, as it's apparently known internationally. Not sure if it's distributed outside of Sweden yet.

The movie is (mostly) based on the true story of a priest coming out to her family, community and parish as trans, as told by one of her daughters. The titular Marianne is played by cis man Rolf Lassgård, but I feel he played the part well.

There were some unfortunate attempts at comedy in the otherwise quite emotional and touching drama, but thankfully it wasn't done at the expense of Marianne.

Not sure if anyone here's interested, or if anyone else will agree, but I wanted to name-drop the movie in here anyway, as I was pleasantly surprised by the movie. I usually hate swedish cinema, but this was a nice little feel-good flick, I thought. Again, with the reservation that I'm cis and might lack a lot of insight into whether this portrayal is good or not.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
The angel 'White Chain' from the webcomic Kill6BillionDemons struck me as a strong example in a much more out-there fantastical context, the recent chapters conclusion especially.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
I thought Gaspar Noé's approach for Climax was interesting with the character of Emmanuelle (Tito's mother), played by Claude-Emmanuell Gajan Maull. She also appeared in Noé's following film: Lux Aeterna.

She was cast not because she was a "trans woman" but because she was a woman. The actress herself felt grateful that she was - for once - not treated as a curiosity at a casting, as she sees it as one aspect of her life, and not her sole defining trait. (I'll let you Google Translate this)

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Mackenzie is a trans teen in Neighbours, probably more noteable because she has some input in the writing of her storylines (there was a scene they read from her diary that I believe she wrote).
Agree with Europhia too.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's pretty unfair, maybe even cruel, to call it "cheap retconning" or "cowardly" to have a trans protagonist like this given that the designer is literally a non-binary person themself.

Like I personally do get kinda uncomfortable with how some people talk about subtler representation, when they get into or at least border on "it's good specifically because they're not preachy or being a token". It just raises some red flags when people talk that way. But that doesn't mean there isn't value to having trans characters where they're dealing with problems unrelated to/not exclusively due to being trans, with it being signaled in other ways.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what trans community would consider a 'good' rep. Personally, the first trans character I was introduced to was also my favourite: Lord Fanny from The Invisibles. She seemed awesome as all hell.

Lordfanny.jpg

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Far and away the most emotional and impactful example for me is Umineko: When They Cry, although unfortunately even mentioning that is a spoiler.

yeah. impossible to quote just one thing because it takes like a hundred hours to read all of it i don't think any other story i've encountered in pop media has captured the feeling of dysphoria quite as strongly as umineko. it's not even just the "representation" of any one character, pretty much all of the writing around the subject is wonderful

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home

Bruh, the director/designers/writer of the game didn't come out publicly as non-binary until a year and a half after the game was released. This isn't some Rowling (I really do hate invoking her name) BS "word of god" rep.
yeah. impossible to quote just one thing because it takes like a hundred hours to read all of it i don't think any other story i've encountered in pop media has captured the feeling of dysphoria quite as strongly as umineko. it's not even just the "representation" of any one character, pretty much all of the writing around the subject is wonderful
Huh. This actually makes me want to check it out.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. This actually makes me want to check it out.

it's a loooong read and it takes a very long time to arrive at what people praising it in this thread are talking around but it's one of the most glorious "everything clicks into place" experiences i've ever had if you're interested in how fiction handles these themes. you've got to have a stomach for some unpleasantness out of the gate, but it all ends up being crucial setup.

honestly what's most remarkable about it is how it sidesteps some of the most common rakes a lot of stories take square in the face; for example (and I'll spoiler this even though I'm being as vague as I possibly can)

there is a dysphoric character with a tragic past who also appears in an alternate scenario where the tragic event never happened, and they're happier, much different, but still queer—no "tragedy made me trans!!" stuff here.

it's got real thoughtfulness to it!

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do people feel about Oshima in Haruki Murakami's Kafka On the Shore? I remember him being a pretty good portrayal and great character but it's been a while since I read the novel

May 17, 2019
I don't know what trans community would consider a 'good' rep. Personally, the first trans character I was introduced to was also my favourite: Lord Fanny from The Invisibles. She seemed awesome as all hell.

Lordfanny.jpg

Lord Fanny is a damn inspiration to me. I'm not sure she's trans as much as genderfluid, but The Invisibles is my favorite comic of all time

Oct 28, 2017
As a trans person, I actually found the Whiterose character borderline transphobic (and sinophobic).

In general the deciption of Chinese people in Mr Robot seemed off, particularly for such a diverse show that did a lot of things right, like casting Rami Malek for the lead role that could easily have gone to a generic white actor

Of course all we see are Dark Army guys... but all the American Dark Army stooges get to be interesting, colourful characters (Irving, Leon, Janice), it's only the Chinese redshirt DA guys who are emotionless indoctrinated robots

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
This one hurt. The context of the character is pretty poignant.
It was such an exceptional scene, though I'm not trans so I can't say if it's relatable to actual trans folks, but to me that really managed to convey that pain the character felt. Probably one of my favourite characters in manga as fucked up as he is.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lord Fanny is a damn inspiration to me. I'm not sure she's trans as much as genderfluid, but The Invisibles is my favorite comic of all time

Excellent taste.

You may not recall, but you recommended Spiritfarer to me a few weeks back. Just to say, me and my eldest daughter are loving it, so thanks for that 👍🏽

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It was such an exceptional scene, though I'm not trans so I can't say if it's relatable to actual trans folks, but to me that really managed to convey that pain the character felt. Probably one of my favourite characters in manga as fucked up as he is.

The devastating part is that they give up because they literally can never transition due to the regeneration. The fact that they have to permanently live in a hell of never being able to be who they are giving them solidarity with firepunch because he also exists in the same everlasting hell. In the context of FP being a story of despair it's an extremelystrong character and my favorite of the manga

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Should this impact whether the role is portrayed well or not?

In an ideal world, only if you put a cis man to play the role of a trans woman or a cis woman to play the role of a trans man.
Why the hell would you hire a man to play the role of a woman or vice versa for a group of people who go to great lenghts to show they are the gender they are and not the one they are born with?

In the world we live in, yes.
Trans characters are super rare and trans actors never get cis roles.
So if the role is made with care, they will notice this problem and hire a trans actor.
It is also super easy for an actor to enter in the nuances of the character if they have some familiarity with backstory elements .. like being trans =P

Weird to call retconning for something that if anyone plays the game from start to finish now they will not even notice that it is in a downloudable content.

I think it is amazing how it adds almost nothing .... needing to add something sounds like a homophobe saying "but WHY is this character gay ?" ...there is no reason why people are gay or trans, we just are. Needing a reason means everyone will be cis straight and white till a reason is needed because this is how god intenteded us to be : cis straight and white men.

But anyway, i was one of the people who had a headcanon that she was trans since the start because of how much i related to her and well... i am trans myself =P

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
it's a loooong read and it takes a very long time to arrive at what people praising it in this thread are talking around but it's one of the most glorious "everything clicks into place" experiences i've ever had if you're interested in how fiction handles these themes. you've got to have a stomach for some unpleasantness out of the gate, but it all ends up being crucial setup.

honestly what's most remarkable about it is how it sidesteps some of the most common rakes a lot of stories take square in the face; for example (and I'll spoiler this even though I'm being as vague as I possibly can)

there is a dysphoric character with a tragic past who also appears in an alternate scenario where the tragic event never happened, and they're happier, much different, but still queer—no "tragedy made me trans!!" stuff here.

it's got real thoughtfulness to it!
Looking into the game, the biggest hurdle to overcome will be the character sprites/designs. What's the best way to play the series? Looks like PC version with PS3 graphics mod.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Looking into the game, the biggest hurdle to overcome will be the character sprites/designs. What's the best way to play the series? Looks like PC version with PS3 graphics mod.

I personally think the original cartoony art is the best way to read it, but it's totally a YMMV thing--if you prefer the PS3 art yeah, it's extremely easy to install 07th mod ! it lets you pick which art you'd like (original, PS3, or steam (objectively the worst)) along with backgrounds, style of text, and voice acting. I do recommend the voice acting as the performances are amazing but it does add a bit of time to the whole thing obviously. but yeah, it's very easy to get the mod up and running with the exact settings you want.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'll add Casey Parker (portrayed by Alex Blue Davis) on Grey's Anatomy although he has the issue of every intern. He gets moved way too much in the background. When it comes to his story, they mentioned it very little while putting more focus on his military background and related PTSD and his hacker skills.
(The hacking skills actually tie into the reveal that he was born in a female body, nd I believe it is the only time they mention that.)

latest

nicole_maines_dreamer.jpg

Nia Noll Arrowverse. Portrayed by a trans actress, is just like any other character on the shows.
I think the main part where they succeed is that this hasn't figured into her relationship drama at all. Like it was used for some dramatic storylines, but never at the cost of her relationships with other characters.

Last edited:

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Rocko's Modern Life Movie: Static Cling - if you don't know which character transitions, I'd rather not spoil. It's the entire plot of the Netflix Rocko movie and Joe Murray worked with GLAAD and trans friends to ensure the conflict was handled delicately.

Hunter x Hunter - the character of Alluka was handled really well, addresses it without heavy exposition but in context dialogue with her brother yelling at other family members for misgendering and mistreating her. It's sweet and very touching.

One piece has two now.
I would say Ivankov and Bon Clay and the gang from One Piece, but I guess they're more gender fluid. There are some newer characters though that are trans and they're pretty cool.
Unfortunately this needs more context before recommending One Piece as "positive trans representation."

I was incredibly moved by how the queer characters, especially the trans characters, were handled in One Piece during Impel Down. Oda claimed that some of his close friends were gay and he would see them at drag shows, based the underground club and characters on these experiences. Luffy's friendship with Bon Clay in particular was so heart warming and wonderful to see. I can't even tell you how happy it made me.

...but then the Sanji timeskip mini arc happens and for some reason reverts and destroys all goodwill from Impel Down by not only exclusively reveling in extremely offensive trans stereotypes, but depicting Sanji as a sympathetic victim and extremely transphobic. I've seen arguments that this was an anime-only story built from only a few drawings that Oda did, but Sanji develops a new character trait of having PTSD from "surviving hell" that is brought up in every arc afterwards, often with flashbacks of the awful stereotypes.

I haven't reached Wano yet.
I'm a bit nervous considering what people are saying about Sanji's full regression into a sex criminal and "he commits his most disgusting act yet" in Wano...but I'm hoping that it's overblown.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As fucking ridiculous as the anime Japan Sinks: 2020 was in almost every aspect, the trans character in that show was actually handled really well.

japan-sinks-youtuber.jpg

When Kite shows up he's played off as this ridiculous streamer but he becomes one of the best characters in the show and pretty much saves the day by the end.

It's not until the ending where they're talking about what's going to happen after the events in the anime. There's a montage with a bunch of current events and flashbacks, at one point they show a person with long white hair in a skirt flying a kite before taking off their skirt while continuing to fly the kite.

Eh7ZqQ0.gif

It was extremely subtle but I was really impressed by how they did that. A lot of people missed this detail.

Even better, in a series that hilariously killed off main characters. He made it to the end.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
As fucking ridiculous as the anime Japan Sinks: 2020 was in almost every aspect, the trans character in that show was actually handled really well.

japan-sinks-youtuber.jpg

When Kite shows up he's played off as this ridiculous streamer but he becomes one of the best characters in the show and pretty much saves the day by the end.

It's not until the ending where they're talking about what's going to happen after the events in the anime. There's a montage with a bunch of current events and flashbacks, at one point they show a person with long white hair in a skirt flying a kite before taking off their skirt while continuing to fly the kite.

Eh7ZqQ0.gif

It was extremely subtle but I was really impressed by how they did that. A lot of people missed this detail.

Even better, in a series that hilariously killed off main characters. He made it to the end.
Love this, thanks for sharing it ❤

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Already mentioned but Eve Lindley is fantastic in Dispatches From Elsewhere.
Hari Nef has already been mentioned in other roles but she's fantastic in an episode of Room 104 on HBO this season.