• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Orange is the New Black. Sophia. Trans character played by a trans actor. Writing for the character is iffy here and there but still a good example.
i was wondering why this hadn't been mentioned earlier.

But then again, i don't think it's not really my place to judge what's "good representation".
I would assume a transperson playing a transperson would automatically qualify, given the low bar set by media as a whole, right?

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Pose can be really clumsy some of the time, but I do like that it's one of the very few shows I can think of that has a bunch of trans women, with different backgrounds and personalities, interacting with each other and talking about their varied experiences.

There's one episode I've thought about a lot in the second season where four of the trans women go to the beach and it feels almost like an episode of Sex and the City, but with a group of trans women. They face some transphobia, but it doesn't end up ruining the experience. I was thinking about how that episode in particular one of the only pieces of media I've ever seen where trans female characters get to have a story where nothing really bad happens to them.

Of course, bad stuff happens to them in other episodes and there are times when the show can lean in to the tropiest of portrayals of transness, but I do appreciate that one episode a lot. I wish that, growing up, I'd had even one example in media of trans people thriving and living happily - it would have probably changed a lot for me as a kid.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
i was wondering why this hadn't been mentioned earlier.

But then again, i don't think it's not really my place to judge what's "good representation".
I would assume a transperson playing a transperson would automatically qualify, given the low bar set by media as a whole, right?
While that is an automatic plus, what the series does with her (from what I watched) leaves something to be desired.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I wanted to recommend this but I only watched the first three seasons. Also I refuse to watch more after a certain character dies in S4. Her backstory episode is really good but definitely agree on the writing being iffy overall.
That's when I stopped watching too. But I thought Sophia was a good but not perfect example.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
This might not qualify as trans per se, but Freaks and Geeks had a hermaphrodite character whose sex was chosen at birth by her parents and it made you think about gender fluidity.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
This might not qualify as trans per se, but Freaks and Geeks had a hermaphrodite character whose sex was chosen at birth by her parents and it made you think about gender fluidity.
Intersex is the proper, humane term. Also intersex people are cis if they align with the gender assigned to them at birth, which appears to be the case for that character. There's nothing inherently trans/non-binary about being intersex.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Alluka from Hunter x Hunter. Was not expecting a shonen anime/manga to handle a subject like a trans character so well especially after how the authors prior series, Yu Yu Hakusho dealt with another trans character.

Most anime/manga are pretty bad at this stuff, yeah. But Alluka was good.

On that note, I'm pleasantly surprised at Dr. Stone. So far, so good with their non-binary character.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
Full Fathom Five (book) by Max Gladstone has a trans woman protagonist who was done fairly well. It's also a crazy fantasy story with like a priesthood that does investments with god idols and there's giant robots and shit.

Milena

Oct 27, 2017
Pose, Sense8 and The L Word Generation Q are the three TV series that comes to my mind first. The trans characters are all played by trans actors.

Tell Me Why and Dragon Age Inquisition as far as videogames I played.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I once saw a Charlie's Angels-esque anime show called Dirty Pair that had an episode about a trans character. My partner and me were really surprised how respectful it was, given how old the show was. It had a little hint of a "surprise, this person's trans" twist to it, which I'm not really a fan of, but on the whole they did it really well. I also appreciated how this sci-fi made a point of stating that in this future, 10% of the population was transgender, and that it was the most normal thing in the world.

I did a quick Googling and found a summary for anyone that's curious: https://www.cbr.com/80s-sci-fi-anime-dirty-pair-transgender/

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
as a cis white guy - does steven universe count at least as an allegory?

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
This is by no means "good" representation but as fluid / non-binary I really connect with the concept of Trills in Star Trek especially Dax in DS9. And I think since I personally find a connection I think it's good.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Madeline from Celeste even though it's never been outright confirmed in the game/by the developers, but heavily implied.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A bit of an obscure cut, but Russell T. Davies' Cucumber and Banana series had Helen as played by Bethany Black, a trans actress. I believe there was some talk that she was the first trans character played by a trans actress on a British TV show at the time, but she's well played and sympathetically written, and gets an episode dedicated to her in Banana.

I'd recommend both shows for anyone who's interested in LGBT representation- they certainly aren't without their flaws, but together they represent an interesting and wide-ranging look at different aspects of the LGBT experience.
as a cis white guy - does steven universe count at least as an allegory?
There are certainly interpretations that read Steven as trans, but for me the whole mother and son motif is so emphasised by the narrative that I'd hesitate to go with them.

They gave Sadie a non-binary love interest in Future, which was nice at least.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
It's not nearly common enough, but recently I was really impressed with Jules in Euphoria. Not only that but I think they approached it in a really thoughtful and careful way, without making her entire story about her identity, either.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
I seem to remember zombieland saga handled it well enough, i could be remembering it wrong though

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Shimanami Tasogare, Celeste, Heaven Will Be Mine, The MISSING: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories. All things others have already mentioned. :(

Also heard a fuckton of praise for Fatamoru, but haven't yet played it myself. Same for Tell Me Why which I haven't played yet either.

Vowel Sounds

Sep 8, 2020
I'll offer Ian Alexander as Buck in The OA, though I know that show isn't for everyone and I'm only halfway through the second season.

I think Sheri S. Tepper did a good job in The Revenants with Jaer, though it's not one of her more well known novels. It's basically Lord of The Rings lite with a trans/nonbinary protagonist, a queer cast of characters, and some pretty neat story telling. Not bad for a book written in the early 80s, and Tepper's work is worth supporting.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Lev (TLOU2) is a great character but his entire story is him suffering horrific abuse for being trans. I feel that's important to point out for trans ppl considering playing the game.

Krem (Dragon Age: Inquisition) is a trans man played by a cis woman and who the player character can be extremely fucking transphobic to. I wouldn't consider him good rep.

Nomi in Sense8 is amazing. A trans woman played, written, and directed by trans women.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
While not always the best, you know their heart is in a good place and the bad thing they done wasn't malicious (they even removed some elements in the remastered games by themselves that weren't a good thing), Yakuza did some good stuff :

47p596aizyq31.png

Kiryu best boy

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While not always the best, you know their heart is in a good place and the bad thing they done wasn't malicious (they even removed some elements in the remastered games by themselves that weren't a good thing), Yakuza did some good stuff :

47p596aizyq31.png

Kiryu best boy
I really need to try out the Yakuza games, I've been sleeping on this series for way too long.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
I really liked Rayon in Dallas Buyers Club, and the way her and Ron's relationship developed throughout the movie. The dynamic between them was more memorable than the main plot of the movie imo

Oct 30, 2017

47p596aizyq31.png

Kiryu best boy

Fair play, because the PS2/PS3 versions have some transphobic shit in it.

This is sweet interaction compared to previous stuff Ive seen.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I ran across two comic examples of characters that I fell in love with - who basically became my favorite characters - and who I later put it together were trans:

Jo from Lumberjanes:
187209_1035531_1.jpg

And Rosemaster from Cucumber Quest:

I love both of these characters. The trans reveal for both was pretty subtle though. (Like, it's more or less stated in-comic in Cucumber Quest, but it was one quick line in a page full of exposition, so I can see how someone could pretty easily miss it.) This is kinda how I like my character writing, just write people as people and trust the readers to put together who they are from their words and actions.
...but I'm cis...and I've often wondered about what a trans reader's thoughts are on how these characters are portrayed. Do you enjoy the more subtle approach, or would you rather media not play coy with it - make it up-front for purposes of representation?

Oct 27, 2017
Another vote for Nomi from Sense8.

It's an ensemble cast of "main characters" but she clearly becomes one of the main two central characters, as the series gets towards its conclusion.

Flannel_and_Assam

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 21, 2020
United Kingdom
Hannah Bradford from First Day, an Australian children's live-action television programme about a twelve year old trans girl adjusting to a new school. The actress playing the girl is trans, and it's a fantastic antidote to the current climate of virulent transphobia and invalidation of young trans identities.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
The film The Crying Game, has a trans character.
This thread is about good trans representation. The trans character in The Crying Game is problematic in the extreme, and is played by a cis man, to boot. Not a good recommendation.

I really liked Rayon in Dallas Buyers Club, and the way her and Ron's relationship developed throughout the movie. The dynamic between them was more memorable than the main plot of the movie imo
I haven't seen Dallas Buyers Club so I can't say how the character is written. But once again, is played by a cis man. 👎

Edit:
Should this impact whether the role is portrayed well or not?
Oh boy, here we go.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I played (and really enjoyed) Celeste, but I never got the impression Madeline was trans.. I think the only thing that I recall is from the DLC (which I haven't played) there was a small pride and trans flag in the background art right? What are the other examples?