• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So after the recent slew of fuckery with the CAH people, I figured I'd ask what are some good alternatives to their card game since I'm never playing this fucking game again.

Hit me, Era. What funny party card games are you playing?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You can be dark and funny with Apples to Apples without relying on racist or homophobic cards. Just play that.

Or play Fluxx or something.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Here are my current go-to big group, easy to learn games that fill a similar role to CAH:

Funemployed and Snake Oil are two great games in the style of "one person judges, everyone else tries to be funny". They both do require actual performance though as you explain why your cards are good.

Monikers isn't quite the same style of game, (it's combo Charades/Taboo) but it has a very similar vibe of getting people to read funny things on cards, and fits pretty similar in a party space.

Telestrations is another great one that has an "after dark" version with naughty words. This one is the telephone game combined with Pictionary and always has hilarious results.

Wavelength is a brilliant game about rating things on a spectrum and getting your team to get right in your mind space.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
"What Do You Meme?" is surprisingly good. It's essentially the same game as CAH, but the black cards are replaced with pictures of meme templates.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Snake Oil
Spank the Yeti
Jack Box Games
Dixit
Funemployed

Generally, the more creative you can be with your answers, the better.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
There's like a hundred knock-offs of CAH nowadays with all sorts of themes, I know I played some goofy one themed around memes awhile back.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
We found Evil Apples to work pretty well on phones with unlockable packs for playing the game.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Not a card game, but Concepts is a fantastic party game.

But it is family friendly so if you're looking for something with a more adult theme maybe the Game of Things which has an adult version.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My family enjoys Superfight. We get a lot of laughs out of it

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
First post nailed it.

Honestly, Apples to Apples was always better, where you had to work and be creative to make the outrageous plays.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Just get secret hitler.

Secret Hitler

A social deduction game for 5-10 people about finding and stopping the Secret Hitler.

EDIT: Nevermind, it was a gift someone gave me. I played it, enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
they play quite a few variations on the YouTube show beer and board games. I remember there was one with a bunch of out of context Moby dick quotes that was surprisingly funny.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Joking Hazard by the C&H guys.

card-cycle.gif

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

It's a great game, it's about beating the fascists.

Even on their site

I don't think there's anything funny or cool about fascism. Who can I complain to?

President Donald J. Trump
1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC 20500
United States
If you live in the US, you can also text your address to 520-200-2223 to get contact information for your elected representatives.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
crabs adjust humidity is an unofficial third-party version but i don't know about the company's history.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game, it's about beating the fascists.

Even on their site
I think they are more referring to that it was basically co developed with the cards against humanity people in the same office.
www.theverge.com

With Secret Hitler, Cards Against Humanity's co-working space becomes an idea machine

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

anyways apples to apples is the obvious choice.
Dixit is a great alternative though. And after you enjoy dixit get the superior version of it Mysterium which is a co op deduction game.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
Right now, I've been interested in a game called Incohearent: https://www.amazon.com/Incohearent-Adult-Party-Game-What/dp/B07QSCQMXV/

The object of the game is that people read a phrase on a card; the phrase is gibberish, but when spoken out phonetically, it sounds like a real phrase or word, and one person has to guess what the gibberish phrase actually is. Example: people will read the phrase "men nog gummy", and the answer is "Monogamy".

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
From what I've been reading on Twitter the entire board game industry is fucked. Lots of stories of companies and groups being racist and anti-lgbt.

Oct 25, 2017
Relative Insanity is another Apples to Apples clone, but it's by Jeff Foxworthy. I don't know if he has any allegations against him, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not really humor games, but I love social deduction games for larger groups:
Resistance: Avalon (more 'intense')
One Night Ultimate Werewolf (more casual)

For a humorous game that you can play while having a party, check out Don't Get Got. Everyone is given 5 'missions' that they have to complete over the course of the party. The first one to complete three wins. They all involve doing something to someone else, but at any time if someone says "hey, is this for the game?" you lose that mission. A quick example of one is "convince someone that something is voice activated". Everyone is on edge at first, but then as you just go about hanging out you end up lowering your guard or finding creative ways to try stuff. It's a fun added element to a party.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
One and done.

Apples to Apples can be just as dirty as CAH if you use your imagination. Half of the game is convincing people to pick your answer, if you're just slapping down your cards and the dealer silently picks and you move on, you're playing that game wrong.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
A Fake Artist Goes to New York is really fun, but it's not really a card game. You don't even have to buy anything if you don't want to. You can play it with your own paper and markers.

A Fake Artist Goes to New York is a party game for 5-11 players. Players take turns being the Question Master, whose role is to set a category, write a word within that category on dry erase cards, and hand those out to other players as artists. At the same time, one player will have only an "X" written on his card. He is the fake artist!

Players will then go around the table twice, drawing one contiguous stroke each on a paper to draw the word established by the Question Master, then guess who the fake artist is. If the fake artist is not caught, both the fake artist and the Question Master earn points; if the fake artist is caught and cannot guess what the word is, the artists earn points.

You will learn that no one knows how to draw anything or how to correctly identify objects.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what did the creators of CAH do? I must have missed it with how packed the news is these days.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
"What Do You Meme?" is surprisingly good. It's essentially the same game as CAH, but the black cards are replaced with pictures of meme templates.
It was okay for a few rounds, but the novelty wore off quickly after we started seeing cards repeat. I think that's one flaw with all the games in the "Apples to Apples" genre.

With that said, I'll put in a good word for Red Flags. Same "A2A" genre, but you are pitching yourself as a date for the dealer with two nice traits and one awful one. Requires additional skills rather than just getting funny cards.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
From what I've been reading on Twitter the entire board game industry is fucked. Lots of stories of companies and groups being racist and anti-lgbt.

Not really. The industry has issues but most of us in the core of it are pretty good and fighting hard to improve it. The industry has issues with known predators at shows that won't enforce policies but most of us know who they are.

Max Temkin is and has been a known POS. I tried to tell everyone 4 years ago when I was a mod at the old place but no one cared :(