• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I've had my Steam account since HL2 released, and nowadays have over 500 games that I've spent literally thousands of dollars on.

Every few months, I get an email alert: "Your Steam accounts: access from a new web or mobile device." I then change my password.

But then it became once every week. Then every few days. I change my password when I have time within ~24 hours or so.

This week, I'm getting - not exaggerating - 30+ attempts on my account a DAY.

I can't just keep changing my password. I do have Steam Guard on my phone. But I just don't feel safe. Steam's ticket support has been worthless. Anyone else running into the same issue? What's going on, and how do I best combat it?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
If you're using Steam Guard, it sounds like maybe your email has been compromised.

Edit: or the above.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it actually sounds like either your email is compromised or you have a keylogger. If your password is getting flushed out within 30 days, something is reporting it.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I've had my Steam account since HL2 released, and nowadays have over 500 games that I've spent literally thousands of dollars on.

Every few months, I get an email alert: "Your Steam accounts: access from a new web or mobile device." I then change my password.

But then it became once every week. Then every few days. I change my password when I have time within ~24 hours or so.

This week, I'm getting - not exaggerating - 30+ attempts on my account a DAY.

I can't just keep changing my password. I do have Steam Guard on my phone. But I just don't feel safe. Steam's ticket support has been worthless. Anyone else running into the same issue? What's going on, and how do I best combat it?
I had this issue then I realized that this was because I had a second steam account from a while ago on the same email LOL I was going crazy changing my email every week and wondering how they managed to got those passwords so fast. It's just that I have an old second account I forgot existed that ended up being compromised

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Stop using your standard personal email accounts for everything, or at least, use the aliases available in those email services.

Just changing your email address (which you already have two factor associated with, right?) usually solves all these problems.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I think you should be worried about your email or login usage or your PC in general. Steam guard is doing it's thing keeping whoever out but the repeated attempts post PW change should be very worrying.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely enable Steam Guard, OP.

Then change the email account associated with your steam account.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
"New web" can simply mean your cookies are gone or you have a new IP, if you are using 2factor then it's not somebody else logging on.

Never had this issue myself always used steam guard.

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
It seems like your PC has been compromised. Also, make your inventory private. May dissuade, if you have a lot of CS GO skins or similar.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This kinda shit is why I don't keep a card on file for Steam. I know too many people who have had their Steam busted into.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This kinda shit is why I don't keep a card on file for Steam. I know too many people who have had their Steam busted into.
If you have Steam Guard enabled, the only way your Steam account can be "busted into" is if you willingly or ignorantly give away your 2-fac code, or have other devices compromised.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you have Steam Guard enabled, the only way your Steam account can be "busted into" is if you willingly or ignorantly give away your 2-fac code, or have other devices compromised.

I remember people saying the same thing about the Blizzard Authenticator until someone figured out how to get around that a year after it was implemented. They fixed the security hole but still, 2 factor isn't necessarily fool proof.

Deleted member 34714

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I remember people saying the same thing about the Blizzard Authenticator until someone figured out how to get around that a year after it was implemented. They fixed the security hole but still, 2 factor isn't necessarily fool proof.
What? I've had blizz auth since they came out and didn't hear of any security issue with it. Or are you talking about some middleman attack which requires some seriously compromised PC to allow that to happen.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What? I've had blizz auth since they came out and didn't hear of any security issue with it. Or are you talking about some middleman attack which requires some seriously compromised PC to allow that to happen.

I honestly couldn't tell you as I have no knowledge of how that kind of stuff works lol.

I just recall some people with authenticators started to get their accounts hacked and Blizzard acknowledged it on their forums before fixing it. I'm not sure they ever went into detail with what was going on, probably for security reasons. It didn't affect a huge number of people or anything.

Chestbridge

Oct 29, 2017
Change your password on a new device to eliminate whether your normal device is compromised. If the login attempts stop, then you know where the issue originates.

Last edited:

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
I have this issue too, happens 10x a day sometimes - but it's for an old steam account on the same email. Support is useless as whenever i ask them anything about this they assume i'm talking about my current account with all the games on it and cant seem to even see the old one.

the emails contain a code which they need to get into your account. if you had a keylogger they'd be in your emails too.
Change the email address.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds like something weird is going on. You're getting 30 alerts a day saying that you were logged into new devices?
It sounds like phishing rather than anything genuine. Or that you've somehow got two accounts with the same email address, as suggested above.
  • If you already have Steam Guard active, you should be safe unless you are using email-based 2FA and that account is compromised.
  • If you are concerned, change your password, switch to app-based 2FA (and make sure you actually do make a record of those backup codes!) and deauthorize all other devices.
  • If you're using a service like Gmail, you could change the email address on the account to [email protected] instead of [email protected]
And yet, no-one has made it into Gabe Newell's account despite him putting the email address and password out there publicly in 2011.

the emails contain a code which they need to get into your account. if you had a keylogger they'd be in your emails too.
App-based 2FA is generally more secure than email-based 2FA. You should probably switch.
I do wish that they used a standard TOTP rather than their own 2FA implementation though.