• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
For me i would love it if they used some form of machine learning algarothim to optimise timing windows. (with a possible lower limit)

That way it would adjust the experience to be the same for people who have fast reaction times vs people who don't.

Ie if a person is meant to have successful timing say 7/10 times then adjusting timing to reflect game feel for a rolling average of say 1000 inputs would give all players a consistent experience

Ehhh I would not recommend this at all- The most important thing about learning to dodge, for any game, is consistency in the behavior for a move. Once you start messing with the frame data in the middle of a fight you'll end up screwing things for people trying to learn a fight.

Real time action combat isn't really about success rates after all.

Having more obvious tells, like say Sekiro's big glowing warnings, would probably be better for what you want to achieve.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
As a toggle! How Rockstar does sprinting (constant tapping) is 100% the worst option for me. In fact, it's one of the things I absolutely hate about some high level FFXIV duties. They have a mechanic called Active Time Manouver where you need to either click a circle on screen rapidly or mash any key on your keyboard, some for up to 15sec or more. The clicking sucks so while it's less painful (assuming that my brain doesn't just stop sending signal to the clicking finger, which is definitely more common in a button mashing situation) I mash the keyboard with my fingers down closer to the first knuckle where it doesn't hurt, or sometimes curling my fingers up and mashing with my curled first knuckle, cause it doesn't need to be precise. In some story duties, even one person failing this mash sequence wipes the party, so while it sucks to do, it's important that I can do it. But there's another story one in the newest expansion that actually punishes you for using the keyboard, which I only just scraped through. And it's been a complaint raised a few times on the forums and the like that some players are stuck behind these story duties because they can't physically mash as needed, and have to get their significant other or another 3rd party to come and mash the buttons for them. I understand they bring tension, and making a toggle to have a hold rather than a mash takes away from that tension, but it's also just a mechanic that just sucks to do in my circumstances. Even then as I say holding toggles work, my hands cramp really easily after everything these days, and sometimes holding positions for my hands cause involuntary contraction and pain that I can mitigate by grabbing and pulling out the muscle before it gets too bad. But, the cramping is much less common than the neuropathy, so if I got to pick, I would take a Hold over a Mash input any day. So for movement it kind of goes Toggle on/off -> Hold -> Mash for ease for me, and for QTE events it's the same, but you generally only get the Hold and Mash options, I've only just recently started to see a toggle/single tap for QTEs in games.

Man it is so frustrating that mashing buttons over and over keeps being a thing. It's been complained about for much longer than even FFXIV. And that sucks that they've kind of refused to address it. I kind of find it a really lazy way of accentuating that challenge. Cuz like yeah like you said you get why it's added, to add that tension, but yeah I find it kind of cheap.

There are definitely really bad days with pain where I can't really interface with any control schemes, but, alas, my neuropathy is constant, so I just have to learn to work around what circumstances my fingers provide me each day. One of the chemotherapies I had, it pretty much had a 50% chance to cause the permanent neuropathy, and I was that unlucky 50% (I developed neuropathy during the previous 3 regimes of chemotherapy as well, but those recovered over a period of months to years). I have to really be mindful to not push myself so hard in the current day, because I have been so unwell previously it's very minor comparatively, and its easy to push through...but then the chronic pain and fatigue come and kick me in the ass and my SO gives me the look of "I told you to pace yourself.". It's so hard to try and pull yourself back from the capacity you could do, to match the capacity you can do now.

Yuuuuup. See I definitely struggle with that pacing because ADHD makes it impossible to do, but I think I would struggle with it anyway because like, your mind, no matter what state it's in was never meant to like, interface with a broken body in that way. So it just, doesn't want to understand. But I mean, hey, even if you don't always pace yourself you have to give yourself some grace, because with shit like this it isn't always consistent what you can do. So your subconscious is probably gonna try and like, get an intuitional sense of what you can and can't do on some level, but it's never going to quite be able to find a solid answer. You're gonna have better and worse days. So it's just. Fuck man people who don't experience it have no idea.

And what made it not hurt was the stylus the Note series came with (And I guess the regular series Samsung phones now too). My neuropathy comes down to about midway down to the first knuckle of the tip of my fingers, with the worst being at the very tips, so I'm able to hold a stylus while not applying pressure to that area. And I was having a bad hand day when my SO showed me and it was just like "Wait a second. I can...interface with a phone without being in pain???? I had just accepted this would be painful forever". I already do some stuff like grow my nails out a little longer (So glad it's socially acceptable for me as a woman to do this LOL) to provide a bit of a protective buffer over the tips of my fingers where it's the worst, and I thought that that was about as good as I could get for interacting with the world around me.

Well shit. Of course. A stylus. Duh, why didn't I think of that. I definitely don't need a stylus, but that's a good thing to keep in mind. I can use a phone just fine, but lately I've been trying to look at finishing some mobile games on windows phone before that goes away in a month, and I am really, really struggling. The moment what I have to do with my fingers on a touch screen becomes stressful, my hand starts to ache and spasm, and these games are all either super easy or super hard. No in between. A stylus would actually help. I'd just need to get a larger one because the DS one also hurts my hand.

As a fellow autistic person, I understand and empathise where you're coming from a lot. I wasn't diagnosed until much later in life (Around 16) so for a lot of it, I was just 'quirky' or 'rude' or 'gifted' or one of a gazillion other labels throughout childhood. My mother and I kind of lucked out, I was sent to a psych when I was in preschool where they taught me how to interact with my peers from a more academic perspective which was able to blunt a lot of ongoing issues until things all boiled over in my teens, and that was when my chronic fatigue syndrome kicked in as well. I was very lucky. I was receptive to the therapy and training I got when I was in those younger years, and while my mother didn't really understand autism, at least initially (She is wired in almost a completely opposite way, we just could not communicate effectively), we did joint sessions to work on strategies that could work for us both. But, that experience was not universal unfortunately. I was disowned by my father because 'autism isn't a real diagnosis', and a lot of the broader family just thought my mother and I were some kind of crazy.

God I hate this shit. People just don't understand others can be different from them, and so when one of them at least TRIES to work with you even if they don't understand, others just lump them in as well. My parents didn't "disown" me but they have taken the route of just kind of like, half letting it be real but half deciding they actually know who I am, and are constantly interacting with THAT version of me, which is the most lonely feeling.

I still get it these days from health professionals, 'Did you self-diagnose?', when I have to go to hospital and they get me to list off my pre-existing conditions. Building up that self-talk to claw your way through difficulty is something that is incredibly important, and I'm so glad that Dark Souls was a way for you to build that up. I know it took me years and many years of therapy to build it, and even then, no doubt there are still areas I'm weak in it.

Yeah and I have been fighting so hard to GET the diagnosis. It was probably tough for you too because I know girls with autism get so often ignored. For me idk I've just gotten so good at masking it's tough to know how to get a diagnosis. It's one of those things that professionals have looked at brain scans (from head injuries) and been like, oh is he autistic/ADHD? I remember a doctor doing that once and being like, "oh, Chettlar is probably very smart. And this we see this is classic ADHD." And kind of explaining that typically what they were seeing was typical of autism and she could tell from never having met me. And I'm just sitting there, finding it literally impossible to think about anything due to exhaustion, like wtf do you mean lady. I'm a big dumb idiot. Also how am I autistic. But it took a lot of research and interaction with other professionals to finally realize that I absolutely am on the spectrum, and it made everything else make so much sense. The problem was I was interacting with these professionals in an out-of-pocket sense due to chronic issues that insurance refused to cover, and any time a diagnosis came up, my parents wouldn't really pursue it because they thought well he can't be that autistic (insert whatever various reasons like I don't hit myself in the head constantly; I don't make weird noises; all that stereotypical stuff), and they believed a diagnosis would just hurt me getting a job. So I've recieved no support till now I'm 26 and working on saving up money and trying to get an eval specifically for that. It's been a struggle.

And yeah, it's like you say, that's what makes these discussions hard. I don't want to take anything away from anyone else, the idea of that just makes me miserable and anxious. I hate feeling like I need to be worked around or adjusted for but...the ultimate thing I hate to admit is, sometimes there are times when that's the case. And there's definitely been a lot of Souls fans who when I've been talking to about all this, have been nothing but helpful in trying to get things working for me because they want me to share in their experience too! And I do think the difficulty is integral to the experience they're looking to share. And that's the portion of the community I love. It's just the toxic bros that get me down sometimes, cause, man, I already tell all that shit to myself, I don't need other people confirming that shitty voice I logically know, is toxic and makes no sense.

Oh man I hear that last part especially. It sucks.

It also just sucks that as this community gets bigger, it's going to invite more people who are toxic, or who have only been involved with these games for as long as the "discourse" has been going, and are even attracted to or at least influenced by the toxicity of it. It's one of those things where had you been like, in the early days of demon's souls, you'd probably have not even really run into it. But it's only going to grow. My hope, and the influence I try in my little way to have is to build up the side of the community that is welcoming and encouraging and open to making shit work as much as is possible for someone with your needs and limitations. Because I think so many of us do have limitations of our own.

I think you also contribute to helping that when you express like in your first post, specifically what it is you interact with and what might help you overcome that within what you believe the game is trying to do, also not being afraid to admit the areas in which you don't know about the game, which is fuckin so rare. Because when you approach it like that, you aren't just dismissing something that is important to people; you are just expressing where you are coming from. Being willing to admit the limits of your knowledge but also express in certain terms where your limits lie is absolutely the best way to lead to a constructive conversation I think. It's not this bullshit I've seen in some of these threads where the very idea that someone who is complaining might possibly need to be corrected about something is insulting, which I've just seen time and time again. So I really appreciate your perspective.

Yeah, even I'm not immune to it either! If there was one thing I played a lot when I was in hospital, it was puzzle games, strategy games, turn based games, all that kind of thing. It helped with the brain fog, and keeping me engaged with doing -something- while I wanted to just do absolutely nothing. And, I know especially with the way my autism is, my brain does the puzzle one way, and can't comprehend other ways (Which is why I'm a terrible teacher/mentor lol). So my first like, inital gut reaction to someone struggling with a puzzle that I had no issues with is "What how it's easy, just like this" but then the logical brain has to take over and be like "Shut up gut, everyone's got different skillsets. Listen and see if you can help."

Yuuuup. Definitely. And trying to have that empathy for other people having perspectives I just don't understand has done a lot for helping me with my own blindness for sure. In fact I think it's one of those things where since I was naturally worse at it than normal, I had to work way harder for it and it's consciously something I discipline myself to do. Meanwhile the you run into neurotypical people who just cannot be arsed to see outside of their own perspectives on an actual fundamental way. Because for me, growing up and learning to do it at all, meant learning how to understand it with fundamental differences because it's all the same to me, small or big.

And yeah, for me, the big thing is...the loss of function 'suddenly' (I say suddenly, but, my cancer treatment was over 5 years and things just deterorated and compounded over those years so, it wasn't really sudden, just more in the terms of 'versus my whole life') and the grief of dealing with that. It took me a long time to accept there are just some things that may not be possible for me anymore. Like, I work a casual position in the field I study right now but...a lot of people don't ever expect me to be able to work full time. And as of right now, they're right, a 40hr work week knocks me on my ass for the weekend afterwards. It's...a process. And I'm still working on it, accepting what is beyond my reach and what I can reach to with help. I'll probably still be working on it for forever. And I don't think there's an easy answer to all of this, alas. But, I'm really grateful for your advice and your stories and perspective, because, well...I think that's where we find the middle ground of this discussion, so to speak.

And yeah, sorry for the later response. Getting overwhelmed with, well exhaustion. I slept all day today. But yeah I've seriously appreciated reading your perspective and background. This has been one of the more valuable interactions I've had on this site.

For #3, let me clarify. What I mean is, you are walking forward, right? If you press the run button/key once while you are moving, your character will start sprinting and won't stop until you stop moving or perform another action like dodging or attacking. So no, not constant taps.

Alright sorry, in my mind tapping means a repeated action and toggle means on/off. It's just the image in my head. Sorry if I wasn't reading carefully enough.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Serious question: Does ADHD count as a mental barrier?

The demands the game puts on my "in the moment" cognitive abilities is legitimately too high. I know the things I'm supposed to do, on a technical level, but my ability to perform is non-existant. It's just too many layers of bullshit in too tight of window.

My ADHD was a legitimate problem and one of the things that broke up my Savage static in XIV. I suppose medication would help but I don't think my doctor would be down for prescribing narcotics to help me play video games. Haha.

That's a tough one because for me the reason these games work for my ADHD is because they love to tick my brain into hyperfocus mode. I actually haven't been playing as much Elden Ring as my friends because I go into massive hyperfocus mode and play for way, way too long. Sometimes it is a matter of finding the one that sort of draws you in. Like I know some people with ADHD who couldn't get into dark souls but for whatever reason connected with Demon's Souls, which also helped because it's a smaller, more structured game.

Even so ADHD still definitely causes struggles for me. Things other people understand how to do take me way, way longer to figure out. But it's also been kind of nice figuring out what works for me.

One thing that is also helping me with Elden Ring is that I have played other souls games, so I have some familiarity with their structure, so the new open world stuff is probably not as overwhelming to me because it's only that part that I have to deal with and try to concentrate on. Other games are very structured. Even though Dark Souls is pretty open, it still is divided pretty much completely into levels, so understanding like, what to do is like, well just go through the level. Elden Ring also has Dark Souls style levels dotted around the open world, and some are quite extensive, but it can definitely get a bit overwhelming seeing a vast expanse and being like...what do I do, and having trouble focusing.

Also ADHD is also a reason I suggest a dialogue log. Just because if my brain zones out for a second on a boss, like, well I can try the boss again. If my brain zones out during dialogue, well I missed that dialogue.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
As a fellow autistic person, I understand and empathise where you're coming from a lot. I wasn't diagnosed until much later in life (Around 16) so for a lot of it, I was just 'quirky' or 'rude' or 'gifted' or one of a gazillion other labels throughout childhood. My mother and I kind of lucked out, I was sent to a psych when I was in preschool where they taught me how to interact with my peers from a more academic perspective which was able to blunt a lot of ongoing issues until things all boiled over in my teens, and that was when my chronic fatigue syndrome kicked in as well. I was very lucky. I was receptive to the therapy and training I got when I was in those younger years, and while my mother didn't really understand autism, at least initially (She is wired in almost a completely opposite way, we just could not communicate effectively), we did joint sessions to work on strategies that could work for us both. But, that experience was not universal unfortunately. I was disowned by my father because 'autism isn't a real diagnosis', and a lot of the broader family just thought my mother and I were some kind of crazy.
I was diagnosed with Asperger's at about 30. To say I've gotten a late start on counseling and understanding what I've been trying to tell those around me has been "wrong" with the way my brain works my entire life... it's been a struggle and simultaneously an immense release to have an answer. My parents literally don't know how to process it, can't blame them honestly. I could write a thesis on the first 30 years of my life, at least the 25 I was cognitive. So much "if you can say there is something wrong with you, you're fine" when I would say, "no there is legit something wrong with my perception of reality, I think I'm going insane."

Alright sorry, in my mind tapping means a repeated action and toggle means on/off. It's just the image in my head. Sorry if I wasn't reading carefully enough.
No worries, I figured it was a simple misunderstanding. I haven't played GTA but that sounds absolutely AWFUL. Like I can't do that period.

SlyShinobi

Dec 3, 2018
  1. Pause function
  2. Colourblind mode
  3. Subtitles for multiple languages at a readable and customizable size along with a easily readable font and high contrast with the background.
  4. The option for QTEs to be just button press holds
  5. Rebindable keys for Keyboards and controllers along with being able to adjust the sensitivity of the controls
  6. A log or journal that acts as a reminder for you were doing if you take a break or had to stop playing.
  7. A log to read and listen to previously said dialogue (something I found very useful while playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses)
  8. No small FOV
  9. Multiple audio sliders for all the types of dialogue (Main, background etc), sounds and music in the game
  10. Makes sure cues aren't done by audio alone so they can't be missed by people with hearing impairments.
All of this please.
I'll add that a toggle to turn off or on a little dot cursor in the middle of the screen would help a lot with my motion sickness.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
If you're willing to play offline, on PC, I've been playing with an FOV mod today, and the difference in view is pretty staggering:

Default:

S0WL3WY.png

+50%:

TsBnCZ8.png

The ease it's added in seeing my environment and the enemies around me has been just wonderful so far, truly an advantage. Far less blind panic rolling because I've lost track of a wildly attacking foe.

Again, you have to give up online though, which is why From should be providing FOV adjustment in the software.

Last edited:

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For me i would love it if they used some form of machine learning algarothim to optimise timing windows. (with a possible lower limit)

That way it would adjust the experience to be the same for people who have fast reaction times vs people who don't.

Ie if a person is meant to have successful timing say 7/10 times then adjusting timing to reflect game feel for a rolling average of say 1000 inputs would give all players a consistent experience
The problem with dodge timings in Elden Ring is that it's equal parts dodging too slow AND dodging too fast. Enemies frequently have attacks that exist to bait panicky/reactive rolls to then immediately punish while you're in the vulnerable recovery frames on the dodge. Dynamically adjusting the frame data on these moves feels like it's only going to invite other problems when the slow attack that you understand is slow randomly adjusts to be slower because you ate it several times when you were trying to figure out the timing in the first place, so you end up rolling too early through no fault of your own and taking a hit you shouldn't have. Does that hit then count against you and modify the attack timings further? Or does it recognize you dodged too fast in anticipation of learning the previous timing and roll it back? How does the player adjust to that?

I'm not saying that game speed toggles shouldn't exist. I just think they should be universal adjustments to all game speed/logic, because consistency matters when you're going into round 11 on a rough boss fight.

On a related note, I would want options to adjust how inputs are buffered on rolls because it's very easy to do an attack, see a wind-up to a slow attack and instinctively hit the dodge, realize it's a slow attack but also realize it's fine because you were animation locked in your previous attack anyway... just to have the roll come out the second that attack recovers what feels like a few frames later.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Yeah a pause button won't hurt, I am not entirely sure why they are so stubborn about this.

I really wish they have minimap too, haha. Quest logs would be nice.

Oh and the ability to hide helmet.... would be really nice, but I suppose this is not really an accessibility thing.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Not having a message each time i am trying to revive torrent on whether to use a flask, and default the reply to no.

on a more serious note specifically regarding accessibility: have a dialogue log. Not everyone can remember or write fast enough what a character says while keeping a focus on what they are saying, it is very easy to lose focus as well. having dialogue that just passes by never to be heard again without some measure of telling what is going on isnt great. Other games usually have some quest summaries and such, but if you want to make it closer in design to the rest of it, then just a log of the dialogue, with the speaking character model and location of the discussion would allow anyone to have a way to recap themselves on what happened thus far will go a long way. Those that dont need it wont ever have to interact with it either.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Ehhh I would not recommend this at all- The most important thing about learning to dodge, for any game, is consistency in the behavior for a move. Once you start messing with the frame data in the middle of a fight you'll end up screwing things for people trying to learn a fight.

Real time action combat isn't really about success rates after all.

Having more obvious tells, like say Sekiro's big glowing warnings, would probably be better for what you want to achieve.

I acknowledge your point, but completely disagree.

Rocksmith for example is a gamified training tool that teaches the player guitar. It plays like guitar hero, and will adjust its speed down to 80%/90% of the song's speed for a player to practice and then improve. As the player improves the speed increases back to 100% of the song's intended speed. So the Speed of the game changing isn't an issue for skill acquisition and is instead desirable so much the timing windows are kept intact.

Essentially what i'm asking for is skill based matchmaking but applied to a single player experience. Playing Fromsoft games is the equivalent of going straight into champion tier in a competitive game. So the experience differs based on how capable the player is going in.

If the intent is to design a difficult game about how the player responds to failure then if your best players fail say 2/10 times and your average player fails 8/10 times then the experience isn't the same. Its telling the skilled players that they are great and reinforcing the idea that they are superior/better then others vs asking them to respond to failure.

The trick would be designing an algorithm that measured expected failure rates aka in an easy sequence maybe the player should succeed 90%of the time. maybe they should succeed 3/10 times in a more difficult sequence. Then Determine how game speed is correlated to the probability of these outcomes with the independent variable being the individual users capability.

if the User improves as they play the game then the game speed would also increase to stay in line with the expected probable outcome and would be the equivalent to moving players up a rank in a multiplayer game. You wouldn't want to be constantly adjusting the speed, but every so often tweaking things to be faster or slower should make a more uniform experience.

You probably need a speed limit cap, but it would be fun to watch the most skilled players essentially play the game in fast forward

The problem with dodge timings in Elden Ring is that it's equal parts dodging too slow AND dodging too fast. Enemies frequently have attacks that exist to bait panicky/reactive rolls to then immediately punish while you're in the vulnerable recovery frames on the dodge. Dynamically adjusting the frame data on these moves feels like it's only going to invite other problems when the slow attack that you understand is slow randomly adjusts to be slower because you ate it several times when you were trying to figure out the timing in the first place, so you end up rolling too early through no fault of your own and taking a hit you shouldn't have. Does that hit then count against you and modify the attack timings further? Or does it recognize you dodged too fast in anticipation of learning the previous timing and roll it back? How does the player adjust to that?

I'm not saying that game speed toggles shouldn't exist. I just think they should be universal adjustments to all game speed/logic, because consistency matters when you're going into round 11 on a rough boss fight.

Honestly not sure. I just trust that a professional game developer would be able to work it out and find the fun. I don't think a universal adjustment is the right move because if you universally adjust everything then you slow down the way the player responds and make it the equivalent of playing a laggy game.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I was diagnosed with Asperger's at about 30. To say I've gotten a late start on counseling and understanding what I've been trying to tell those around me has been "wrong" with the way my brain works my entire life... it's been a struggle and simultaneously an immense release to have an answer. My parents literally don't know how to process it, can't blame them honestly. I could write a thesis on the first 30 years of my life, at least the 25 I was cognitive. So much "if you can say there is something wrong with you, you're fine" when I would say, "no there is legit something wrong with my perception of reality, I think I'm going insane."

It's so hard for people to understand how valuable it is to put a name to things like this when you experience them. People are always like why do you need a diagnosis. Not understanding that they take for granted how important it is to someone's psyche to know that they are at least in some sense, normal, because they've always had that.

No worries, I figured it was a simple misunderstanding. I haven't played GTA but that sounds absolutely AWFUL. Like I can't do that period.

I haven't played any GTA's but yeah apparently that's how they do it there, and I did play RDR where they do as well. Obnoxious. Thankfully you can do it pretty slow, but it's gotten a bit harder for me over time and it's awful for a lot of people. People have been asking them for a toggle or hold option forever and they refuse to listen.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
For me if I play a game and I then require a cooling off period because I get frustrated with the gameplay, that shows there is something wrong with the gameplay.

I believe the standard Easy/normal/hard difficulties should be abolished for full control over different aspects.

I have problems with aiming and my reaction speed is not great either. I have a habit of hitting the wrong button at the wrong time. I could play the game for 150 hours and still have the same mistakes as hour 1.

I think the current difficulty on Elden Ring is fine and it just needs modifiers to enhance the experience for people like me and people with disabilities.

A lot has been mentioned before but I will mention it again.
1. Colour blindness filters
2. Hard of hearing features.
3. Map markers, they can be turned on and off. Some don't like going to an area and find other, at least with a marker you know there is something there.
4. Runes don't disappear when you die. Again a feature that can be turned on and off. It isn't fair if you are exploring and you walk into an area and you are completely outmatched and lose everything you actually achieved. You are left with a choice to walk back into danger to retrieve them or abandoned them. Keeping them on the map will provide additional incentive to come back later and retrieve them.
5. Defence and attack sliders. People can have fun with this. Play like a glass cannon if you want increased difficulty or like a low damage tank.
6. A second slow down to give the player an extra second to think and make the right move.

I think all games should appeal to people who want to enjoy the games world only to complete masochist who want it to be difficult as possible.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Man it is so frustrating that mashing buttons over and over keeps being a thing. It's been complained about for much longer than even FFXIV. And that sucks that they've kind of refused to address it. I kind of find it a really lazy way of accentuating that challenge. Cuz like yeah like you said you get why it's added, to add that tension, but yeah I find it kind of cheap.

Yuuuuup. See I definitely struggle with that pacing because ADHD makes it impossible to do, but I think I would struggle with it anyway because like, your mind, no matter what state it's in was never meant to like, interface with a broken body in that way. So it just, doesn't want to understand. But I mean, hey, even if you don't always pace yourself you have to give yourself some grace, because with shit like this it isn't always consistent what you can do. So your subconscious is probably gonna try and like, get an intuitional sense of what you can and can't do on some level, but it's never going to quite be able to find a solid answer. You're gonna have better and worse days. So it's just. Fuck man people who don't experience it have no idea.

Well shit. Of course. A stylus. Duh, why didn't I think of that. I definitely don't need a stylus, but that's a good thing to keep in mind. I can use a phone just fine, but lately I've been trying to look at finishing some mobile games on windows phone before that goes away in a month, and I am really, really struggling. The moment what I have to do with my fingers on a touch screen becomes stressful, my hand starts to ache and spasm, and these games are all either super easy or super hard. No in between. A stylus would actually help. I'd just need to get a larger one because the DS one also hurts my hand.

God I hate this shit. People just don't understand others can be different from them, and so when one of them at least TRIES to work with you even if they don't understand, others just lump them in as well. My parents didn't "disown" me but they have taken the route of just kind of like, half letting it be real but half deciding they actually know who I am, and are constantly interacting with THAT version of me, which is the most lonely feeling.

Yeah and I have been fighting so hard to GET the diagnosis. It was probably tough for you too because I know girls with autism get so often ignored. For me idk I've just gotten so good at masking it's tough to know how to get a diagnosis. It's one of those things that professionals have looked at brain scans (from head injuries) and been like, oh is he autistic/ADHD? I remember a doctor doing that once and being like, "oh, Chettlar is probably very smart. And this we see this is classic ADHD." And kind of explaining that typically what they were seeing was typical of autism and she could tell from never having met me. And I'm just sitting there, finding it literally impossible to think about anything due to exhaustion, like wtf do you mean lady. I'm a big dumb idiot. Also how am I autistic. But it took a lot of research and interaction with other professionals to finally realize that I absolutely am on the spectrum, and it made everything else make so much sense. The problem was I was interacting with these professionals in an out-of-pocket sense due to chronic issues that insurance refused to cover, and any time a diagnosis came up, my parents wouldn't really pursue it because they thought well he can't be that autistic (insert whatever various reasons like I don't hit myself in the head constantly; I don't make weird noises; all that stereotypical stuff), and they believed a diagnosis would just hurt me getting a job. So I've recieved no support till now I'm 26 and working on saving up money and trying to get an eval specifically for that. It's been a struggle.

Oh man I hear that last part especially. It sucks.

It also just sucks that as this community gets bigger, it's going to invite more people who are toxic, or who have only been involved with these games for as long as the "discourse" has been going, and are even attracted to or at least influenced by the toxicity of it. It's one of those things where had you been like, in the early days of demon's souls, you'd probably have not even really run into it. But it's only going to grow. My hope, and the influence I try in my little way to have is to build up the side of the community that is welcoming and encouraging and open to making shit work as much as is possible for someone with your needs and limitations. Because I think so many of us do have limitations of our own.

I think you also contribute to helping that when you express like in your first post, specifically what it is you interact with and what might help you overcome that within what you believe the game is trying to do, also not being afraid to admit the areas in which you don't know about the game, which is fuckin so rare. Because when you approach it like that, you aren't just dismissing something that is important to people; you are just expressing where you are coming from. Being willing to admit the limits of your knowledge but also express in certain terms where your limits lie is absolutely the best way to lead to a constructive conversation I think. It's not this bullshit I've seen in some of these threads where the very idea that someone who is complaining might possibly need to be corrected about something is insulting, which I've just seen time and time again. So I really appreciate your perspective.

Yuuuup. Definitely. And trying to have that empathy for other people having perspectives I just don't understand has done a lot for helping me with my own blindness for sure. In fact I think it's one of those things where since I was naturally worse at it than normal, I had to work way harder for it and it's consciously something I discipline myself to do. Meanwhile the you run into neurotypical people who just cannot be arsed to see outside of their own perspectives on an actual fundamental way. Because for me, growing up and learning to do it at all, meant learning how to understand it with fundamental differences because it's all the same to me, small or big.

And yeah, sorry for the later response. Getting overwhelmed with, well exhaustion. I slept all day today. But yeah I've seriously appreciated reading your perspective and background. This has been one of the more valuable interactions I've had on this site.

I also apologise for my late response! Between work and uni I have been super under the pump this week.

Yeah, I didn't realise really how much button mashing sucked until the neuropathy, like...it sucked before the with dyspraxia but, I just figured it sucked for everyone and that was normal (Not getting diagnosed with the dyspraxia until after the autism diagnosis didn't help with a lot of perceptions of things growing up haha). FFXIV is the game I play the most, usually putting some time in every day, so it's usually my first go to when I think of things that don't help, or do help for gaming because it's more action orientated than my gaming elsewhere, where I mostly play turn based, puzzle, strategy, VNs or 'walking simulators', and it's a game I'm able to do well at (even if I play the most simple class in the game, ahahaaa)

Yeah, I am glad I'm getting better at sort of, learning my limits and not burning myself out, I've been able to set a few boundaries with stuff like, work to be like "Hey work, if I do this many shifts and this much uni, I'm going to do too much. So I'd like to just say I'm unavailable for this shift, so I can be sure that if I've had a big week, I've got the time to recover". But it's super hard to set those boundaries, cause I'm also a people pleaser type personality :') I'm far more likely to burn myself out for someone else than myself knowingly. Most of the time it's just me just having absolutely no sense of what will fuck me up until it hits me. And yeah, a lot of people don't quite get that sometimes, I'm looking fine and Ilike I'm managing well, and then I absolutely crash later. Just bbecause I can do it for a short time, doesn't mean I should, and sometimes that concept just goes over peoples' head.

That is one of the frustrating things about the stylus, unfortunately, is that not every game supports the native stylus input. It would probably work with a 'low tech' capacitive stylus solution but those aren't as precise as the native S Pen stylus tip. Like, Pokemon Go doesn't support the stylus at all, which, sucks cause it'd be real nice to catch Pokemon with. The more frustrating games are ones that the stylus works for menus but not for the gameplay. Like...come on! You're already partway there, I know you can do it, just enable it for the whole thing!

It was honestly kind of a serendipidous finding that I was diagnosed tbh. My mother was able to get psych care for the family through her work, and when I started going off the rails in high school, she got me in with a psych, who, from what I hear, approached my mother after a few sessions and was like "Uhh. Did you know your daughter was autistic? Because I'm pretty sure she is, and I'd like to get her tested." I'd always thought when we learnt about Aspergers in school and the like that it sounded like me, but, I always figured 'Well, if I was, I'm sure someone would have picked it up by now, right?". We did the testing, got the official diagnosis, but as we found out much later...he was shit at keeping records, and didn't actually keep that documentation so despite having the 'official' diagnosis, and the government recognising it and providing support, and all of that, because of that missing documentation, my university can't put it on my paperwork unless I go out and spend and get diagnosed -again-, which is thousands of dollars. I'm a uni student, I can't afford that. I hate to think what it would be in the US with that health care system.

I definitely agree on the part of a community getting bigger inevitably means that in comes more of the worst of us, and it can be hard to find those good voices, so I definitely appreciate those being encouraged to lift up and above. And it's especially hard on the internet, like, when I've discussed some of my issues in person, I mean, I've never had the 'GIT GOOD' thrown back at me because, well, people in real life generally know me and have seen things that I do to mitigate my issues or know of my health problems. It's also why I try to give very specific examples too for when I'm trying to describe things on the internet, on positions I sit in or control schemes I use or the way I interact with control schemes, because it makes it easier to visualise for the person reading, and they might know of something that might help, or it can be a way to quantify exactly how bad things are for me for some of the more difficult concepts to understand, like the left/right processing issues. And I'm always careful to say that my experience is only with one Souls game, and that I didn't get far, and that it was about 10hrs of game time all up, because that gives people a frame of what I've experienced, and they might be able to say "Oh yeah, no, that thing? They changed that.". Same with being clear about how I don't think the game is for me in terms of storytelling presentation which is why I'm unlikely to go back (usually I'm drawn into game by strong and upfront character or story work, so it's definitely not the Souls vibe haha). It's all kind of a ball of trying to vibe "Hello yes, I am a disabled person. I'm not here to try and ruin your game, I don't really have a horse in the race because I'm still unlikely to buy the titles for myself if changes are implemented for other reasons, but here in my experience is the things that would have helped me when I tried to play, with some examples." with the hope I might get people thinking about how solutions might be implemented, or I might hear that things have changed in intervening years. Being wrong is a chance to learn, it's just....not many people see it that way.

It's so silly. It's not like we don't hear how other people perceive things and act and compare it to our own way, we still have self-awareness, haha. I agree though, it's truly a relief to actually hear that there's a reason, so to speak, that your brain works the way it does. But yeah, I've been running into those struggles with trying to interact with people around thought processes lately, people asking me "But what's the reasoning behind doing this this way?" and then getting really frustrated when I respond "Look, honestly, I don't know the reason why. I just do it because it's the rules set by the boss, and I assume the rule is in place for a good reason.". It always sends you into that introspection of "Is this me fucking up a normal interaction, or is this just us having some bad communication" haha. People always sort of stare at me when I tell them I spend most of my night while try to get to sleep contemplating conversations and situations I might run into the next day, and preparing responses and reactions to different scenarios. Like, even as a little kid, I got that other people didn't do that, I just figured I was a weirdo.

If you're willing to play offline, on PC, I've been playing with an FOV mod today, and the difference in view is pretty staggering:

Default:

S0WL3WY.png

+50%:

TsBnCZ8.png

The ease it's added in seeing my environment and the enemies around me has been just wonderful so far, truly an advantage. Far less blind panic rolling because I've lost track of a wildly attacking foe.

Again, you have to give up online though, which is why From should be providing FOV adjustment in the software.

Also, wow, the difference the FOV makes, this would be a huge improvement. FOV adjustments definitely need to be more universal, I have an ultrawide and have to do so much dumb lil hacky shit to make an appropriate FOV for it half the time.

And then you get games like Sea of Thieves that the FOV made me seasick...