• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plum

May 31, 2018
In the endless war that is the "Souls Difficulty Debate" there's one key thing that is pretty much always missed. I've missed it, and so have many others... because it is easy to miss. Especially when one is able-bodied enough that completing a Souls title is purely a matter of skill, and not a literally insurmountable goal due to physical and/or mental barriers.

Personally, I've used the notion of 'accessibility' to further my own desire for an Easy Mode, and on looking back that was shitty of me. On the other side, a considerable number of people have harassed a developer on Twitter for criticising Elden Ring's accessibility features (or lack thereof), purely because they believed they were talking about said easy mode. It becomes highly muddled, and often-enough the actual issues are hidden.

Of course that is the fact that modern Souls games - despite clearly showing no desire to have 'difficulty modes' - simply do not have many other accessibility features to begin with. Whether they be ones that could be seen as "affecting the difficulty," or ones that simply allow people to see the game's enemies better, the options are sorely lacking in many ways. This can create situations where people may have the desire to meet these games on their own terms - to have the "intended experience" - yet can't due to one, or multiple factors that block them from getting in their way.

As such, I thought I'd try to help the whole discussion, and perhaps make something constructive, by asking the question of what accessibility features should these games actually have? These can stem from visual changes, aids to help those hard-of-hearing to understand audio cues better, controller remapping, contrast options, and so on. There's a multitude of different possibilities that can be applied both to games in general, and to the Souls 'genre' of games itself.

I would also ask that, since we're talking about accessibility features here, that this not turn into another 'debate' thread. You may not personally agree that, say, a "slow-motion" mode would best fit these titles, but you don't have to air that grievance here. Simultaneously, I would ask that people post more than just "put an easy mode in." Suggest it, but there are many other places for that debate. Whilst difficulty does equal accessibility, it's clear that From - and seemingly all other developers of 'Souls-Likes' - are simply not going to budge on this issue, so it might be more productive to find other ways in which these incredible titles could be enjoyed by more people.

Note that this isn't just Souls, but can be applied to 'Souls-Like' games and games in general.

If you're having issues thinking of what things might constitute 'accessibility features' then I'd highly recommend looking at this list of Game Accessibility Guidelines. It's a comprehensive breakdown of various ways in which developers can make games more accessible, whether they be optional or part of the game's design.

I'd also like to give a shout-out to Steve Saylor, one of the leading voices on accessibility in games, who created his own video around Elden Ring in particular:

I get it's an hour long but at least watch 32:05-48:32-ish to hear his opinions on what accessibility is, difficulty modes, and artistic vision.
(Thanks, Ra !)

Also perhaps give a read to this article from Grant Stoner from IGN for something more specific to Elden Ring and the "accessibility vs. 'easy mode' question:
www.ign.com

Accessibility Isn't Easy: What 'Easy Mode' Debates Miss About Bringing Games to Everyone - IGN

As Elden Ring approaches, the discussion around whether hard games need an easy mode is already taking off. But making games accessible to more audiences is about much more than a single difficulty level.
(Thanks LumberPanda for pointing this out to me)

Though, again, this thread is not a place to debate and dissect this particular article or Saylor's video. I just feel it's best to amplify disabled and/or more experienced voices for better insight and knowledge into the topic. It's too often that those voices get drowned out by able-bodied people without the same life experiences and contexts, so if there's one thing you take from this thread it's these.

Last edited:

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: drive-by; didn't read the OP
make an easy mode like MGS : wear a funny hat, make the game easier, locks achievements/ trophies.

Let people explore, enjoy your game.

Stop being a gate keeper.

Oct 25, 2017
edit: i think there was nuance to this post, but rereading it, i think it could be misread as a purely difficulty related thing (whereas i was more like "just skip it entirely"). so i'm going to delete this in case it derails.

Last edited:

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
make an easy mode like MGS : wear a funny hat, make the game easier, locks achievements/ trophies.

Let people explore, enjoy your game.

Stop being a gate keeper.

Literally two posts in and someone already derails with "Just make an easy mode."

On Topic..

I think most souls fans universally agree that something like a colorblind mode, and button remapping should be added for accessibility.
Audio Options would also be nice, but I think the games already do an amazing job of telegraphing threats through audio alone. You can hear Skeletons assembling behind you, hear the loud clicks when you hit traps, hear mages charge spells before shooting them at you.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Literally two posts in and someone already derails with "Just make an easy mode."

On Topic..

I think most souls fans universally agree that something like a colorblind mode, and button remapping should be added for accessibility.
Audio Options would also be nice, but I think the games already do an amazing job of telegraphing threats through audio alone. You can hear Skeletons assembling behind you, hear the loud clicks when you hit traps, hear mages charge spells before shooting them at you.
Well that gets into a whole nother can of worms. What about when you can't see behind you with no ability to discern directional audio?
What about when a player is completely dead? The audio options in from games are pretty poor in my experience because they don't cater to deafness or partial deafness. They do a horrendous job when you're hard of hearing or deaf. The subtitles quite frankly suck and miss simple things like labels on who is speaking.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Ability to pause
Visual cues of offscreen attack
Larger i-frame window
Some sort of guide back to lost souls
A ping that shows locations of enemies and allies through audio cues
Slow motion activation
Audio cues that more easily define what an attack will be
High contrast mode

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Ability to pause
Larger i-frame window
Slow motion activation
High contrast mode
I'd say audio and visual indicator for the ping but this would be the bare minimum.

Also
Subtitles with character name
Background colors on subtitles so that it can contrast
Better tutorials to display how to use these features plus how to play with reliance on these features.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
Thankfully this actually is a feature in Elden Ring. Your lost runes get an icon placed on your map, and they show up on the compass even if you're nowhere near them. They're also highly visible from long distances - though, of course, they can get mixed in with the other high-brightness elements the game uses for things (e.g. lootable bodies, messages, certain items, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Ability to pause
Larger i-frame window
Slow motion activation
High contrast mode
good suggestions — i will say fwiw that elden ring does least shows your lost souls on the map / compass, so it's a step in the right direction here (though i get the impression it was more necessitated by the massive scale of the world than a new found sensitivity, lol)

edit: whoops, beaten. sorry for the double notification. :)

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
The subtitles quite frankly suck and miss simple things like labels on who is speaking.
Besides Sekiro, is there a FromSoft game where 2 or more people are having a dialogue or speaking at the same time? Labels would be a nice addition, but I don't think they are necessary in the type of games that From are usually making.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
People really need to watch the video. At about 44:20 Grant says, "You shouldn't be BARRED from a game because you literally CAN'T play it."

Conversations about accessibility have to start right there.

Besides Sekiro, is there a FromSoft game where 2 or more people are having a dialogue or speaking at the same time? Labels would be a nice addition, but I don't think they are necessary in the types of games that From are usually making.
They are necessary for people who are hard of hearing or have cognitive issues and need labels to help them keep up.

Why are you being the able-bodied asshole in an accessibility thread?

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
The other thread had a post by LumberPanda with some good starting points:

- fully remapable controls (for example, separating run from roll)
- the ability to change "holds" to "toggles" (like shield and run)
- text and hud scaling
- game/combat slowdown options (for those where their body is unable to play fast enough)
- option to enable UI and audio cues for enemies attacking you offscreen
- enable pause when offline
- colorblind modes
- disable screenshake

I'd probably add some more stuff like maybe the ability to outline enemies or NPCs to be able to see them better or even more contrast-like shading solutions I've seen Naughty Dog do for The Last of Us Part II since it can be easy to lose track of enemies nearby.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
-Higher contrast settings
-Audio readouts of all settings
-Subtitles for every sound outside of ambient/music choices
-Adjustable text size
-Fully remappable controls, including splitting of same button functions
-Toggles for hold/mash button requirements
-Audio direction indicators for the extent to which existing enemies have audio cues which rely on direction
-Colorblind mode

Stuff like guides back to lost souls? Widening iframes? Slow modes? Quest logs? Please no.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Well that gets into a whole nother can of worms. What about when you can't see behind you with no ability to discern directional audio?
What about when a player is completely dead? The audio options in from games are pretty poor in my experience because they don't cater to deafness or partial deafness. They do a horrendous job when you're hard of hearing or deaf. The subtitles quite frankly suck and miss simple things like labels on who is speaking.
The other thead was moving too fast that I might've missed if it was you or not, you said you're deaf in one ear right? In terms of directionality, are there any visual options/features in other games that you think set a good example?

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Besides Sekiro, is there a FromSoft game where 2 or more people are having a dialogue or speaking at the same time? Labels would be a nice addition, but I don't think they are necessary in the type of games that From are usually making.
sound is the one thing I'll never get to fully experience well unless there's further advancements in medical science to make hearing the way others do for me possible. So, until then, subtitle options need to be plentiful. I hate theaters for it to that subtitle options are limited and I just have to accept what I do hear and ask my friends and family questions afterwards if I missed audio from anything not clear visually.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
People really need to watch the video. At about 44:20 Grant says, "You shouldn't be BARRED from a game because you literally CAN'T play it."

Conversations about accessibility have to start right there.
This is the thing people miss when they say "not every game is for everyone".

There's a difference between it being a matter of taste and literally not being ABLE to play.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Some low hanging fruit for them to target—robust colorblind modes, along with enemy highlighting for people with bad eyesight. Sound cues are tougher, but maybe an "enemy volume booster" for the hard of hearing. For the love of god, subtitle options, including font size, color, and background, and for fuck's sake put the name of the speaker next to it. Toggles for sprint and shield would be great, too, both for people with less hand dexterity to avoid clawing and so that people with different control situations to actually be able to turtle up and sprint without difficulty.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
The other thead was moving too fast that I might've missed if it was you or not, you said you're deaf in one ear right? In terms of directionality, are there any visual options/features in other games that you think set a good example?
Spider-Man does relatively well with things but that's somewhat a cheat cause Spider-Man had spidey sense that visually indicates. Otherwise, 2D games and turn based games pair best with not hearing directional audio. It's an area I've not seen most developers actually tackle. I mean you have maps now in many games that come when enemy is about to attack / sees you.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019

There's a difference between it being a matter of taste and literally not being ABLE to play.
Yes. Taking an example from the other thread (a take from today): Finding the Tree Sentinel and thinking "I shouldn't have to avoid the first enemy out of the tutorial until I'm stronger, I don't like that and I'm shelving it" is different than "you're against a wall where the game asks you to execute button commands in a way you never realistically will be able to."

Grant was unable to complete Sekiro because of it, that's a damn shame because he is such a huge fan of DeS/DS/BB.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
The other thread had a post by LumberPanda with some good starting points:

- fully remapable controls (for example, separating run from roll)
- the ability to change "holds" to "toggles" (like shield and run)
- text and hud scaling
- game/combat slowdown options (for those where their body is unable to play fast enough)
- option to enable UI and audio cues for enemies attacking you offscreen
- enable pause when offline
- colorblind modes
- disable screenshake

I'd probably add some more stuff like maybe the ability to outline enemies or NPCs to be able to see them better or even more contrast-like shading solutions I've seen Naughty Dog do for The Last of Us Part II since it can be easy to lose track of enemies nearby.
Not having a run toggle and it being stuck on the same button as dodge is my #1 accessibility issue with ER. Run toggle is such a basic mechanic these days, Elden Ring is down right archaic in many ways.

People REALLY need to watch this conversation that involves a quadriplegic who says early in it he's a "From Stan". I get it's an hour long but at least watch 32:05-48:32-ish to hear his opinions on what accessibility is, difficulty modes, and artistic vision.

These are the voices that need to be leading the direction of this discussion. Myself being a quad included in that.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I was younger and Naughty Dog added the "explorer" difficulty option to Uncharted 4. I got really upset and thought "everyone needs to engage with the game the same way I do". I didn't understand why anyone would want to play the game if all of the challenge was removed, and I thought the pacing and overall experience of the game would be ruined.

But then I became more attentive and receptive to those around me. I realized that how I prefer to play games (or often how I can play/experience them) is not universal. I realized that my experience with Uncharted 4 wasn't impacted at all with the addition of that mode, and that it only led to more people being able to enjoy a franchise I enjoyed.

There's a decent amount of people who want to play Fromsoft titles but can't for one reason or another. There really is no good reason as to why fans would push against accessibility options in their games.

Remapped controls, colorblind modes, adjustable I-frames, etc. are all great ideas.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Some low hanging fruit for them to target—robust colorblind modes, along with enemy highlighting for people with bad eyesight. Sound cues are tougher, but maybe an "enemy volume booster" for the hard of hearing. For the love of god, subtitle options, including font size, color, and background, and for fuck's sake put the name of the speaker next to it.
That would work for me to some degree but still leaves out the completely deaf. Stranger of paradise has a neat option to subtitle sound effects. It's terrible in other respects (needs subtitle background color). That would be a nice option along with visual notifier.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Here's a reality y'all should consider:

Who knows if this is from FROM or Kadokawa, but the reality is this: these games are produced on a much lower budget with employees paid far LESS than any major Western studio that provides similar options.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head because I covered it in the other thread, but I really think they should have a pause button. The map as a pause button would be adequate. There is some value in the world existing persistently even if you step away, but since most any player learns to just quit out since the game is so persistent with saves to get around this, the only thing I see a real pause help with is accessibility. Someone who struggles with sensory overload or chronic pain or has children could use a pause button in a way that I don't think would harm the overall experience. The only thing it really changes is quick pausing such as one can use in a pause, since the quitting method doesn't work for that, which most normal players don't use but a disabled person could really value.

But this gets into the issue of WHAT game even does this correctly? I cannot think of a single game that uses directional audio as a mechanic and also makes this very well communicated to deaf players.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
That would work for me to some degree but still leaves out the completely deaf. Stranger of paradise has a neat option to subtitle sound effects. It's terrible in other respects (needs subtitle background color). That would be a nice option along with visual notifier.
I think that would be excellent! Even like some comic book style "BAM" stuff would be really cool, but I have no clue how hard it'd be to implement. I feel like the stuff I posted was the real easy stuff, but it certainly isn't close to the stuff they could and probably should do. Another thing I was thinking of is kind of like God of War 2018's threat ring for the deaf, to warn them when they're being crept up on in the absence of sound cues

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing concerns about accessibility over series of posts
sound is the one thing I'll never get to fully experience well unless there's further advancements in medical science to make hearing the way others do for me possible. So, until then, subtitle options need to be plentiful. I hate theaters for it to that subtitle options are limited and I just have to accept what I do hear and ask my friends and family questions afterwards if I missed audio from anything not clear visually.
I am not trying to say that subtitles are not important.
I just don't understand how writing speaker's name would be helpful in most Soulsborne games. Usually in From Software games (with Sekiro being an exception) your protagonist is silent and there is only 1 npc speaking at a time (though maybe if you have hearing issues, you wouldn't know that?).
Once again, having this feature would be nice and I would support adding it into any games, of course. I just don't see why it would be high on a accessibility features wishlist.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
But this gets into the issue of WHAT game even does this correctly? I cannot think of a single game that uses directional audio as a mechanic and also makes this very well communicated to deaf players.
Not many and normally through radar or poorly contrasting directional cones that luckily I can see but I'd assume there's probably someone out there hard of hearing and colorblind. In which case, nothing probably does it well. The key thing is software devs needs to focus on holistic accessibility. It takes time and money. You really need a dedicated team that embeds itself in every step of development. You'll also need creatives willing to cede some level of control to the needs of players.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I remember when I was younger and Naughty Dog added the "explorer" difficulty option to Uncharted 4. I got really upset and thought "everyone needs to engage with the game the same way I do". I didn't understand why anyone would want to play the game if all of the challenge was removed, and I thought the pacing and overall experience of the game would be ruined.

But then I became more attentive and receptive to those around me. I realized that how I prefer to play games (or often how I can play/experience them) is not universal. I realized that my experience with Uncharted 4 wasn't impacted at all with the addition of that mode, and that it only led to more people being able to enjoy a franchise I enjoyed.

There's a decent amount of people who want to play Fromsoft titles but can't for one reason or another. There really is no good reason as to why fans would push against accessibility options in their games.

Remapped controls, colorblind modes, adjustable I-frames, etc. are all great ideas.

It's rather pointless discussing anything if the other party is not open to discussion. Why come to a forum if you don't want to hear other opinions?

I still cannot understand why people care how others play if they enjoy it, unless of course it impacts your enjoyment.

That is an elitism obviously around their titles. I would never want the developers to cater to everyone because you can't please everyone, but there are good suggestions. I think as long as the controls are tight and there are no cheap moves by the enemy that's where the base line needs to be.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not many and normally through radar or poorly contrasting directional cones that luckily I can see but I'd assume there's probably someone out there hard of hearing and colorblind. In which case, nothing probably does it well. The key thing is software devs needs to focus on holistic accessibility. It takes time and money. You really need a dedicated team that embeds itself in every step of development. You'll also need creatives willing to cede some level of control to the needs of players.
Have you looked at Fortnite's audio cues? Probably one of the better examples that games can take from.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
It's rather pointless discussing anything if the other party is not open to discussion. Why come to a forum if you don't want to hear other opinions?

I still cannot understand why people care how others play if they enjoy it, unless of course it impacts your enjoyment.

That is an elitism obviously around their titles. I would never want the developers to cater to everyone because you can't please everyone, but there are good suggestions. I think as long as the controls are tight and there are no cheap moves by the enemy that's where the base line needs to be.
I'm open to discussing accessibility options. There's a ton of great suggestions in this thread that I've never considered.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
A pause button.

Some way to keep track of the lore. Like an in-game encyclopedia.

A quest log or something to keep track of these NPCs. Like it wouldn't be an issue if these dumb idiots would tell me where they're going. Elden Ring is the worst in this aspect just because the world is so fucking huge. Like how am I supposed to find some of these folks again without Google?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

Right. But I'd wish we'd tackle this on the whole because I think there are a lot of games that try to be "accessible" but don't have any of these things. I think the issue is time intensive to do and not every developer has the resources or experience to do these things. I think it's more expensive than people let on and it's weird to get on one company in particular for things that most companies don't do well.

EDIT: a cheaper way to have this happen though that I think many developers could implement could at least be a closed captioning for sound effects. It can be a bit jank I think, accidentally giving away something that a player can't actually hear yet, but it's something that could at least be tried, and I think Elden Ring would definitely be a stronger game for that, and while From is not a huge company, I'd bet they could add closed captions.

In general the degree to which people must struggle with a video games in order to also find dark souls impossibly hard is such a degree that most every game I can think of would be unduly difficult.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
It would be neat for them to add the option for lost souls/runes to not disappear after dying before collecting them, and a "golden trail" leading you through the mainline path of the game, not just at grace points near a main area.

The two biggest complaints I hear about these games are "I don't want to lose hours of progress" and "it's so confusing figuring out where to go." These options would give these types of players the ability to play the game with their complaints out of the way, without having to make a full easy mode.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
Difficulty wise I think they added a lot to ER with the horse, being able to go somewhere else when stuck, mimic tear. Needs a pause button. An easy mode for those that want it I guess. I don't care about easy mode if normal mode isn't compromised.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: a cheaper way to have this happen though that I think many developers could implement could at least be a closed captioning for sound effects. It can be a bit jank I think, accidentally giving away something that a player can't actually hear yet, but it's something that could at least be tried, and I think Elden Ring would definitely be a stronger game for that, and while From is not a huge company, I'd bet they could add closed captions.
Interestingly that's one option KT and Square-Enix added to stranger of paradise. It's nice. I wish they would add backgrounds to subtitles cause the anti-aliasing solution and bright backgrounds make the subtitles sometimes harder to see.

Forgiven Empathy

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
I had a rather long post, but I think I want to ask if anyone here has anyone particular disabilities/conditions, and what they feel is missing for them to help them the most?

I love these games, I adore them. I also deal with some learning disabilities and medical conditions that mean I have to leave my desk quickly.

The main problems are reaction time and hand eye coordination. So in this regard, adding toggles to sprint and some other things might be a good option. And an option to hold down attack and keep attacking with lights and heavy, not needing to keep spamming the button. It's actually why I used the wild strikes weapon art early on. Of course, adding Destiny 2 level controller remapping is the ideal.

As for needing to leave the desk often, I think maybe a pause could work. Just disable during online stuff of course, like when you can't quit the game due to co-op and invasions, just disable pause there. Which Sekiro has a pause button, so the design choice here is I believe is more due to online. Which as of... Bloodborne? Has not allowed people to enter your world without you summoning, so players pausing to stop invasions isn't a worry anymore.

Mar 8, 2018
I have a family member who would love to be able to play Elden Ring. He has no range of motion in his arms and only limited in his hands, and extremely limited strength. He plays games using a combination of custom voice commands, one or two physical keyboard presses, and mouse clicks. This is very limiting, but he can go further than you'd think. He's outfragged me in Halo before, and can play games like AC Odyssey and Ace Combat proficiently.

The problem with Elden Ring is that the in-game mouse sensitivity slider caps out way too low. He has such low strength that he has to use an extremely light and small mouse, one that doesn't come with adjustable DPI. Mice with that feature are simply too big or too heavy (even light "gaming" mice are too heavy). The other day he was excited to play the game, we got through character creation, and the instant the game started he realized that the sensitivity was too low to be workable. He can't play the game until they change that, but there's no indication they ever will.

This is the kind of structural or technical issue that FromSoft could fix. It's not unique to them, of course, but there are plenty of disabled gamers who would love to play these games, and don't care about the difficulty, but can't because the available technical options are too limited.

For another example from a different game, this same family member was excited for Star Wars Squadrons, because he loves both Star Wars and dogfighting games. He got it on release, only to discover that the game maps yaw and pitch each to specific mouse axis. This can't be changed. If he could change the axis, or switch pitch to roll, he could play the game. But because this is impossible, he can't.

Last edited:

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I was going to post several things, but you people are incredible. Not only you already posted them, but also added way more than I would've have thought. Kudos. This is shaping up to be a really great thread.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
They are necessary for people who are hard of hearing or have cognitive issues and need labels to help them keep up.

Not only that but... Like there is a lot of names and a lot of npcs, doubly so in Elden Ring with a lot of similar sounding names. (Seriously, the amount of names that start with G or M is insane) and the game doesn't say: "Press A to talk to X"

It just says: "Talk" so you can often forget someone's name because for obvious reasons, someone isn't going to referring to themselves by their own name that often after saying it once. Doubly so since characters aren't talking to each other.

I'd love to have the name of NPCs show up next to their dialogue and also when you go up to them it should say: "Press A to talk to X".

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
Add all the accessibility options Remedy added to Control. That allowed me to play it.