• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The live version is better than the animated one. Fight me about it. Aladdin and Jasmine are both terrible characters in the animated one. Genie and Jafar save that movie.

200.gif

While Aladdin may not be the best its definitely better than the live action.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I have to agree that the live action version of Aladdin does make me look at the original less favorably. I know this is crazy but the new version makes the characters so much more interesting. Jasmine actually has her own storyline and is all together a much more dynamic and interesting character. The romance between Jasmine and Aladdin is done so much better.

The original is still superior in many ways but I feel like the characters ring much more hollow in the original. It's dropped down my Disney animated rankings. No other remake has made me feel this way except for Aladdin.

1. Pinocchio
2. Little Mermaid
3. Lilo and Stitch
4. Beauty and the Beast
5. Frozen

I flip between Frozen and Tangled all the time though.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
Aladdin is my favourite but I think Beauty and the Beast is the best objectively.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Hunchback could work as a live action remake if they get the right team together. If you cut out the gargoyles you would already have a better film.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
As far as 2D ones go, it's the only one where I don't feel like there's a singular element that drags the whole thing down. Everything works, the characters are all likable, the music is fun.

Thinking of the 90's renaissance..

Lion King, I don't care for the middle act.
Little Mermaid, Ariel is an idiot and everything is her fault.
Beauty and the Beast, I don't care for the comedic beats in the middle, and wish we got more quiet moments to flesh out his and Belle's connection.
Tarzan, the animal sidekicks are all insufferable. Everything else is solid, but fucking christ I hate his animal buddies.
Hunchback has some of the highest dramatic points, but bad pacing.
Hercules doesn't know what the fuck it wants to be or say.
Mulan, aside from the crassness of trying to replicate the merchandising opportunity with a bunch of fucking sidekicks, the movie feels like it's missing 10 minutes. They find the burnt out village, and that's about the entirety of the movie's attempt at portraying "war is bad, overwhelming, and scary." There needed to be an action beat where the main group of heroes is so terrifyingly overwhelmed. Also that money shot of Mulan spinning the sword? That's about the only cool thing she does with it, because of course they beat the bad guy by shooting him with fucking fireworks. Fuck off, movie...

Emperor's New Groove is great too though, but it's such a different kind of movie from their traditional stuff.

Last edited:

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
The live version is better than the animated one. Fight me about it. Aladdin and Jasmine are both terrible characters in the animated one. Genie and Jafar save that movie.
Naomi Scott was quite good as Jasmine, that girl can SING...

scottjasmine-800x631.jpg

I know people don't seem to care for him, but I enjoyed Marwan Kenzari as Sexy Jafar...

marwan-kenzari-jafar-aladdin-1555519258.jpg

Will Smith did a good job as Genie, thankfully not trying to copy Robin Williams...

Aladdin5ce46e15ed727.jpg

And WHO could possibly forget Mena Massoud as Aladdin?

red-solo-cup_custom-6904949d2957888ea3a73fd084e238b4542ea02e.jpg

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
man Nostalgia factor makes it #1 for me......but objectively, Lilo and stitch, incredibles, zootopia and Tangled are better.

i rewatched the Animated version recently and was surprised how slight the thing felt.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
It's by far my favorite, but I don't feel confident enough in my tastes to declare it the best.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, that's Beauty and the Beast. It's the tightest, better paced, with the most well realized characters. Lion King comes close, obviously, but I still think BatB has a kind of class about it that Lion King lacks a bit (and Aladdin has none at all).

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CGI? That'd be Moana.

Drawn? That'd be The Lion King.

Live action? That'd be Maleficent.

We all know Mulan will be the best live action though.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I watched Pinocchio on cinema and it probably is the best movie Disney ever made and one of the top animated movies ever.

Also Aladdin re-used some plot elements from Ducktales movie (amulet with infinite wishes, genie turning to human...duck)

Oct 27, 2017
Fantasia 2000 does not trap your kids soul in the phantom zone after watching Night on Bald Mountain...I pee'd. Often.
No joke I'm pretty sure Night on Bald Mountain is what started me on a path that would eventually lead to becoming a metalhead with satanic tattoos. It was...inspirational to say the least. Especially as a Catholic kid.

Also, ironically enough, my partner's last name (she's Ukrainian) stems from the same word as Chernobog. It all came together in the end!

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is your criteria? Disney's (at the time) own animation studio or are we including Pixar?

because Toy Story is one of the greatest films of all time.

Oct 28, 2017
No joke I'm pretty sure Night on Bald Mountain is what turned me into a metalhead with satanic tattoos. It was...inspirational to say the least. Especially as a Catholic kid.

Also, ironically enough, my partner's last name (she's Ukrainian) stems from the same word as Chernobog. It all came together in the end!

Yeah it makes sense. That shit was spooky as hell to me.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Hunchback could work as a live action remake if they get the right team together. If you cut out the gargoyles you would already have a better film.
Hunchback with the music intact, gargoyles having a lessened role, keeping the thematics of the movies while also going a bit more book accurate by introducing Frollo's brother, and not being defanged to keep with Disney's current image could easily be the best live action adaptation yet. But I dunno man, rewatching it lately I keep going over it in my head that no way contemporary Disney can do it justice. The dialogue from Frollo contemplating drowning a baby in a well up till the end is just so charged and straight up manic that there is no way they keep half of it. The Palace of Justice especially feels like something they cut entirely, that genocide analogy and the whipping endurance is off the fucking rails.

DrStrange87

The Fallen
Feb 8, 2018
I feel like I'm in the minority when I say The Princess and the Frog is my favorite 2d Disney animated movie. :(. Hercules being 2nd.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I definitely agree that Aladdin is the best animated Disney movie. And by Aladdin, you clearly mean Frozen 2. It's okay, spelling mistakes occasionally happen to people. I know I too regularly find it hard to type after having heard Show Yourself thirty times in a row, transporting myself for ninety minutes to a different, better, happier, more peaceful world