• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I understand but I see using the n-world instead of nigger trying to hide the ugliness and terrible meaning of the word.

One things is calling people nigger and another thing is trying to read a text of what other person said.

Another example is doing a movie about the civil rights movement and have white actors say n word instead of nigger
Well I'm not going to argue with you if that's how you feel, you're free to use the word and think of it how you see fit.
Seems like Joe was quoting directly when he didn't have to and talking further about the word's usage, also saying it directly. I dunno, I've seen him do this before in the same vein and the intent seems to be quotation or discussion of the word.

What's really egregious is how he's defending the dude he's talking about. That guy very clearly wasn't saying "You guys falsely attribute negative traits to the people you represent with this word but you're displaying these traits and you only give yourself a pass because you're not racist against whites like you are black people" like Joe defended him as saying, what that guy Sargon says is blatantly "You're as bad as black people!" The Sargon dude is clearly a racist fuck and I think Joe is in the wrong/misguided for defending him but Joe's own usage is just crass, not racist.
Ok. This isn't the first time he has done it. And he had no doubt hundreds of Black people that told him last they view it as racist. And what does he keep doing? Why does he keep doing it? It's almost as if he doesn't care he's doing something Black people see as racist. Never mind most people have the sense not to use the word in any context but especially on video. This isn't some kind of new concept.

BeigeGoat

Apr 7, 2018
Ok. This isn't the first time he has done it. And he had no doubt hundreds of Black people that told him last they view it as racist. And what does he keep doing? Why does he keep doing it? It's almost as if he doesn't care he's doing something Black people see as racist. Never mind most people have the sense not to use the word in any context but especially on video. This isn't some kind of new concept.
I'm not Joe Rogan. I can't tell you anything concerning his "real" thought process just how his usage here seems to me, that he says it to quote, paraphrase and discuss the word and that doesn't bother me as much as how people have used the word against me and my family in the past. I don't see racism as a motive here, but an unfortunate side-effect to someone using the word at all.

Sargon's usage, the "Do you think white people act like this?" tirade and how Joe defends it are what really stand out to me from watching that video, that's completely fucked, man.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Joe Rogan is a dumb chode for a lot of reasons but i don't think it's a huge deal to use the word if you're quoting someone and discussing a controversy over their use of it.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Joe Rogan is a dumb chode for a lot of reasons but i don't think it's a huge deal to use the word if you're quoting someone and discussing a controversy over their use of it.
Why though? When "The N Word" is just as effective at getting people to know what word you are talking about and not offensive to Black people. Why? I find that the people that say it's no big deal, wouldn't use the word themselves especially around Black people they don't know, even in this context.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you watch the video?

For five minutes or so but i can't stand to listen to joe rogan being dumb for longer than that.

Why though? When "The N Word" is just as effective at getting people to know what word you are talking about and not offensive to Black people. Why? I find that the people that say it's no big deal, wouldn't use the word themselves especially around Black people they don't know, even in this context.

Because it sounds dumb and stilted to use the N word when the whole issue is what Benjamin said. I'm not saying it's preferable to use it, just that Rogan's use of it here is different to Benjamin's not just in degree but in kind.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
For five minutes or so but i can't stand to listen to joe rogan being dumb for longer than that.

Because it sounds dumb and stilted to use the N word when the whole issue is what Benjamin said. I'm not saying it's preferable to use it, just that Rogan's use of it here is different to Benjamin's not just in degree but in kind.
Actually I disagree. If anything it further proves the point it's a word that shouldn't be said if you're agreeing to not even say it when quoting another.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I have to agree with that posters who are saying that the actual story is Rogan defending an absolute shit comment from Sargon. Just completely excusing racism to the fullest.

Joe Rogan is entry level alt right programming for elitist losers who swear to God they're intelligent

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a Super Deluxe video showing all of Gavin McInnes horrendous BS, is there a similar one for Rogan?

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Wait, was he making the argument that the racists have manifested into the thing that they oppose, or that black people reinforce stereotypes and that they're not doing themselves any favors?

I watched the full video...Im just tired.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017

Required viewing on white people and the use of N-word

The thing about this is that Coates understands context and that certain words belong to certain groups. However, the complexity begins when he actually says the words when describing the words he would never use. He doesn't say "my wife uses the b-word", he says "my wife uses the word bitch". By popular decree then, he just said that word but the context around his use of it permits it.

And extended to Rogan then, the same thing happened. The context here is that he was quoting someone else and as such is also permissable. He said the word, yes. But he did not use the word.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The problem is more his "poor way to phrase it" comment and less reading quotations I think.

And damn, dude looks like he's aging hard.
5326-gta-iv-brucie-kibbutz.jpg

"Bull shark testosterone, baby!"

I've had a white literature teacher say the full word in context to a book and he seemed uncomfortable saying it, though this is in a different light.

What pisses me off is Rogan's 'Sorry, but not sorry.' apology, as if he was going to throw another rant about being politically correct.

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Rogan, there is nothing more to say. I've stopped listening to his ass years ago. He's always just leeched of his funnier friends, and how people can take inspiration from this idiot is so mind boggling to me, he's a fucking stoner meathead.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
"That's a very poorly thought-out way of expressing himself."

For fuck's sake.

I don't know how you can see Sargon's statement as being poorly thought-out.

He literally used a term to refer to the people he was talking to as if they were unpeople. There's no thought there, but pure malice.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about this is that Coates understands context and that certain words belong to certain groups. However, the complexity begins when he actually says the words when describing the words he would never use. He doesn't say "my wife uses the b-word", he says "my wife uses the word bitch". By popular decree then, he just said that word but the context around his use of it permits it.

And extended to Rogan then, the same thing happened. The context here is that he was quoting someone else and as such is also permissable. He said the word, yes. But he did not use the word.

I know this clip based on your description alone, and i felt the same way. The fact he said 'bitch' without saying 'b-word' completely and utterly ruined his point. Which is unfortunate, because I felt he was on the right track for a while.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
I know this clip based on your description alone, and i felt the same way. The fact he said 'bitch' without saying 'b-word' completely and utterly ruined his point. Which is unfortunate, because I felt he was on the right track for a while.

That's because bitch is nowhere near as severe as the word attributed to the enslavement of entire generations of people

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
People are missing Coates' point by trying to focus on the fact that "bitch" doesn't carry the same weight as "nigger." His point is solely about how language is translated and received in intergroup communication. The context in which words are received isn't binary, but rather they contain multiple sliding scales of "offensive" and "not offensive" depending upon those communicating.

When a man is talking, "bitch" is close enough on the "offensive" side of the scale that it is uncouth to use it, but not enough that it has come to commonly be censored as the "b-word" or would be grounds for serious social consequence. When any non-black person is talking, "nigger" is automatically so far close to the "offensive" end of the scale that it has come to gain a censored version and a near-automatic crucifixion of the non-black person saying it.

But again, these distinctions don't actually matter to the point, because he's not talking about where any given word sits on the scale, but the concept of a scale itself. It's about how the context of a word changes depending upon who's speaking it. I mean hell, I'd be willing to bet the majority of black men who choose to use "nigga" amongst themselves would rather be called that than a "bitch." But that's because there's a reclamation context that no other group has experienced with "nigger," much less one that they can lay claim to because they want to act brand new to how communication works.

Last edited:

retrocore9

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
Rogan is constantly in my youtube feed and I have no idea why. He's this brute low intellect guy trying to be super intellectual. The fact that he is discussing this awful tirade from Sargon and doesn't censor the most offensive word a white person can say shows how dim Rogan is.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
I have to agree with that posters who are saying that the actual story is Rogan defending an absolute shit comment from Sargon. Just completely excusing racism to the fullest.

Joe Rogan is entry level alt right programming for elitist losers who swear to God they're intelligent
Yeah, the issue here isn't Rogan reading some quotations, it's his cack-handed defence of Akkad's use of the word to begin with. He looks so fucking strained during it too, like 'thinking' is really painful for him.

"I don't agree with what he said but-"

Oh, fuck off.

There is something deeply wrong with anyone who looks at Carl Benjamin, and their reaction isn't, 'eww, what a disgusting, moronic piece of shit'.

A smarter person wouldn't have said the words either.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That time he talked about going to watch Planet of the Apes in a black neighbourhood

lidmat

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Excusing Racist Language
The context wasn't condescending or derogatory. I don't see the problem with it. I lived in the US and learned its history at school, by the way.

People need to focus on important issues in life.

soniko_

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
i don't mind, he doesn't get any of my money and or attention.

Not everything is a espectacle to be made of.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This ranks low for me. If you're discussing the word and/or quoting someone's use of it then I don't mind.
I don't normally use the f-word, but if im talking about how you shouldn't say it, I'm not going to tip toe around it.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The context wasn't condescending or derogatory. I don't see the problem with it. I lived in the US and learned its history at school, by the way.

People need to focus on important issues in life.
The context being him defending someone else using the n-word in a deliberately derogatory fashion, who completely meant to use it in a hurtful way? Yeah, not seeing how the context makes Rogan come out of this looking good at all.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
A female friend of mine (who's a fairly progressive minded person) was telling me how she's been into Rogan's podcast lately, and how he's really smart and interesting....

It took all I had from calling her an idiot for thinking that of him. But I didn't want to offend her personally, so I just said that I don't think he's particularly smart, and the he may very well be a racist. To which she disagreed, saying that he speaks out against that stuff. To which I had to end it by saying that we'll have to agree to disagree.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
My take is that he made a lot of statements that are easily, EASILY, be construed as racist. He's either a racist, or dumb for making these statements, or both. There's no other conclusion.

So a racist or a dumb fuck, pick one or pick both

Oct 27, 2017
I always shake my head in disbelief every time I hear someone saying smart and Rogan in the same sentence. How can people think that man is intelligent?

Status
Not open for further replies.