• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry Geno fans, but that costume is probably the best you're gonna get. At least with the Mii costumes, I can sorta have Sonic, Tails and Knuckles fight together... (still praying for Eggman as a DLC character, then we'd have most of the major iconic video game villains in one game)

Also, it would mean Heiheichi from Tekken is not getting in, or Akira from Virtual Fighter... such a shame.

I wonder why we haven't gotten any other Street Fighter characters as Mii, I mean we obviously got Ryu and Ken who are the two iconic Street Fighter characters? But what about Chun-Li? Or Guile? Or Bison? All those and more could serve as mii costumes if they're not fully playable.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I mean, probably. Who knows? We should all just be in it for the ride at this point, though.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, probably. Who knows? We should all just be in it for the ride at this point, though.

I mean... they put in Resident Evil character as spirits: Chris, Jill, Leon and Wesker... safe to say they're not coming... even though those 4 are probably THE iconic Resident Evil characters.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
in this smash and as dlc yeah

mii costumes for characters that already exist are more related to new releases of smash, not DLC related

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
If geno is not added to the roster (and he likely won't be) I can see myself many decadees from now at 80+ years old still resentful of byleth stealing genos spot.

mypixelfriend

Jan 7, 2019
Is Geno a thing with Japanese fans as much as US fans? As in, how aware is Sakurai of the Geno folklore of wanting him to be a newcomer? Could this be one great extended troll, with Geno being the final, and Ultimate Newcomer?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are no rules. Every made-up fan rule about what characters can be in is just that. Made up.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Fan rules should be treated as fan assumptions unless expressly deconfirmed by the Smash team, and those assumptions are broken all the time.
BUT, that doesn't meant the assumption will be broken.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it would be pretty scummy to sell a costume first and then sell a fighter later. That doesn't mean it's totally impossible but super, super unlikely to the point that we shouldn't seriously entertain the possibility of it happening.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I understand Mii character costume as "we know there's demand for this character and we want to honor this character, but we can't turn them into a full fighter due to various reasons."

So, yes. At least for the current version of the game.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
There are no rules. Every made-up fan rule about what characters can be in is just that. Made up.
Fan rules should be treated as fan assumptions unless expressly deconfirmed by the Smash team, and those assumptions are broken all the time.
BUT, that doesn't meant the assumption will be broken.
The only blatant definitive rule Sakurai has spoken of is that a character must have started as a game character (hence why he deliberately called out Goku and Iron Man not getting in).

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If geno is not added to the roster (and he likely won't be) I can see myself many decadees from now at 80+ years old still resentful of byleth stealing genos spot.

Byleth didn't do anything to stop Geno getting that spot because he was never in the running for that place. Maybe rex fans could say that, but Geno? Nah.

Cronogear

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
If there was a third fighter pass, maybe.

Sakurai wouldn't add a Geno Mii costume only to also have him in the current fighter pass.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Rex is the only exception I can think could possibly happen, and that's solely because his costume was a bonus with the season pass and not as a separate standalone purchase.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
The only blatant definitive rule Sakurai has spoken of is that a character must have started as a game character (hence why he deliberately called out Goku and Iron Man not getting in).
Uh huh. It's why everything else is technically just an assumption/trend, even if it makes sense on paper.

Jafin

May 26, 2018
Ireland
I kind of feel like they're saving Waluigi to be the very last fighter, just because of how vocal people were about him and making up all these theories because of fucking chair colours. It'd probably be the ultimate, excuse the pun, fanservice. There's only a cap for him as a mii costume part right, not the whole costume?

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I kind of feel like they're saving Waluigi to be the very last fighter, just because of how vocal people were about him and making up all these theories because of fucking chair colours. It'd probably be the ultimate, excuse the pun, fanservice. There's only a cap for him as a mii costume part right, not the whole costume?
well he is an assist trophy

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I'd say the "rule" is basically 99,9% confirmed for post-launch content (including Mii costumes and spirits), unless they're going to literally troll everyone (if Geno is actually one of the 3 remaining fighters for instance, but I don't think they'd go that far).

For everything that was present since launch though, we can still have "exceptions" like Min Min and I think it could also apply to both Mii costumes and Assist Trophies. I just wouldn't really count on it and keep enjoying the ride though.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
fIH7kToVWhVr9gvkyM4bbZBMgiw5tj3O6dsmMRjUTG8PxLLO3PxBQAM_ZeE93cJILmHRxTs2fseEIscUF9_cxh-6Kzhk6p5dhe7WxFi1uGjvxkisOa9McIABHC_CD10F1kJ8kt-75t_oVvUmB8l2Pvj1xqkO3O0RpY4

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
As we have seen time and time again "it hasn't happened so far" does not mean it will never happen in the future.
Absolutely but we all know characters that don't originate from a video game aren't getting in. Let's be real. Goku and shit won't happen until every video game character in the world has been exhausted. It's a fighting game about video game characters. That's a constant.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
absolutely but we all know characters that don't originate from a video game aren't getting in. Let's be real. Goku and shut won't happen until every video game character in the world has been exhausted. It's a fighting game about video game characters. That's a constant.
It probably won't happen. But I will not be surprised if it does happen. Constants are broken all the time. Sakurai's vision for the game also changes over time.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Probably the DLC ones. It would be really weird, odd and even kind of scummy to sell a Mii costume then turn around and add the character as fully playable after making cash from fans of the character.

But base game stuff that was included and not extra, maybe.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just Sakurai though. Its probably more Nintendo's rule on the game than just his.
Again, this is just fans making assumptions. There's no Holy Nintendo Scripture with a verse stating "Thous shalt not put a character that didn't originate in a video game in Smash Bros". People change, games change, companies change.

Only thing that doesn't change is fans thinking they know everything while actually knowing very little. ;)

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Probably the DLC ones. It would be really weird, odd and even kind of scummy to sell a Mii costume then turn around and add the character as fully playable after making cash from fans of the character.

But base game stuff that was included and not extra, maybe.
Yeah dlc costumes are definitely the "we couldn't get the character so enjoy the next best thing" kinda deal.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018

A franchise that was born as a virtual pets (like Digimon) would be included in that restriction?

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
I'd say yes a mii costume first would generally confirm a potential new character to not be playable as DLC later. Of course that's how it's been happening now.

It would be off to have fans buy the mii costume and then pay for the real deal on top later. But that too is easily solved. If you paid for the costume ($.75?) then you'd get that much off on the new character when it releases. That's my solution anyway. Unlikely but not impossible.

Thank god Dixie Kong only had a wig/hat. My girl is on her way folks! Bet your bottom dollar!

Oct 25, 2017
What if like in Super Mario RPG, a shooting star turned the Geno doll into the Geno character....one day, during a Smash event, a shooting star turned the Geno Mii into...

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
What if Geno ends up being a free DLC get for a limited of time after Challenger Pack 2?
Then why sell a Mii costume as part of Challenger Pack 2?

If they had any intention of including Geno as a playable character, they wouldn't sell his Mii costume as DLC. The only characters that had the Mii costume "upgrade" were Chrom and K. Rool, both of whom were in the base Ultimate roster after their Mii costumes originated as Smash 4 content.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No matter what you think, it shouldn't stop people from supporting their favorites.

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
Chrom went from Mii Fighter in Smash 4, to being a Mii Fighter and a real character in Ultimate.

I don't think being a Mii Fighter rules people out entirely for sequels, but seems to be the death sentence for the current game.