• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is the Doctor the best part of Star Trey Voyager?

• Of course you idiot

Votes: 211 71.0%
  • Its obviously sexy of 9

Votes: 55 18.5%
  • Tom Paris turned into a Salamander

Votes: 26 8.8%
  • Grey haired Geordi's cameo

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters
OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Doctor is the most consistently good character in the show, but I think that all characters have great episodes.

I think Chakotay could have been amazing had he not been saddled with the mysticism. Robert Beltran is an extremely charismatic guy.

Harry Kim has one good episode and its the one where he destroys Voyager and has to send a message back in time to avoid his own original fuck up. Its also another episode where The Doctor carries things.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So true. They killed Nelix how many times in the series? At least twice.
The writers knew.

He was actually predicted to be the breakout character of the show. He was supposed to be as beloved as Quark and Odo. That's why a lot of his stuff is about how he is lying about what he actually knows, yet he still is a good person.

They tried to course correct him with his Naomi Wildman stories and his interaction with the Borg Kids, but for a lot of us it didn't even remotely work.

Harry was basically the Voyager canary. He died 4 times, and was always the one put in gold shirt danger when they didn't want to use an extra.

And if he hadn't be chosen as one or the most beautiful people by People Magazine he would have permadied and we would have seen how Kes and Seven would have interacted. And would have a love triangle between Kes, Paris and Torres.

Thanks People Magazine. Instead they kept Harry until the end and only made him interesting when it was an alternate version of him.

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was actually predicted to be the breakout character of the show. He was supposed to be as beloved as Quark and Odo. That's why a lot of his stuff is about how he is lying about what he actually knows, yet he still is a good person.

They tried to course correct him with his Naomi Wildman stories and his interaction with the Borg Kids, but for a lot of us it didn't even remotely work.

Harry was basically the Voyager canary. He died 4 times, and was always the one put in gold shirt danger when they didn't want to use an extra.

And if he hadn't be chosen as one or the most beautiful people by People Magazine he would have permadied and we would have seen how Kes and Seven would have interacted. And would have a love triangle between Kes, Paris and Torres.

Thanks People Magazine. Instead they kept Harry until the end and only made him interesting when it was an alternate version of him.

Neelix was picked as one of the most beautiful people?

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Replace Andy Dick with Arnold Rimmer and... well.. I hadn't seen nor heard of Red Dwarf at the point that episode aired so I wouldn't have gotten the reference until like 2000 when I discovered the show on cable.

Yeah, I'd say most canadians/americans got their Red Dwarf exposure from PBS when they did their late friday or saturday night BBC show stuff. Anyway mostly would just be pleasant in converting the scene from "What if SNL was like Hydra and took control of Starfleet" to "what happens if you have a terrifically underskilled EMT accidentally create 'Cat' out of Neelix and a 1000 year old bag of crisps"

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Andy Dick was a weird choice but let's not forget...

38xcxj.jpg

I was kind of hoping Seinfeld would have been one of the members of the Think Tank.

Actually Jason Alexander was a huge Star Trek fan and had been trying to get on Star Trek since Next Gen. He turned down every pitch because it was always 'George Castanza on the Enterprise' and he wanted to do something different.

The Think Tank episode was one of my favorite episodes of Voyager, partially because how good Jason Alexander played his role.

Neelix gets a bad rap. Remember when he started his own news channel? Or his cooking show? Or did I imagine some of those again? What was the channel he started when they accidentally went back to 1996? lol

Yes he did. And as a week to week watcher, we were sick of Neelix. He then used his news show to make Paris look like a traitor, almost outing his undercover mission, stealing command codes, and then solving and killing the real traitor.

I did not like it.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I'd say most canadians/americans got their Red Dwarf exposure from PBS when they did their late friday or saturday night BBC show stuff. Anyway mostly would just be pleasant in converting the scene from "What if SNL was like Hydra and took control of Starfleet" to "what happens if you have a terrifically underskilled EMT accidentally create 'Cat' out of Neelix and a 1000 year old bag of crisps"
Yeah I discovered RD on PBS back then and loved it. My brother and I watched it whenever it was on. I tried to get my friend into it and he ended up watching Krytie TV and told me I was an idiot for liking the show. Fuck. I told him he shouldn't have started there. He wouldn't have it. Oh well. His loss. I don't think he'd be into British TV anyway. Except Mr. Bean because Mr. Bean is universal.

That said, I am closing out the night with a two-part "Future's End". We going back to 1996 baby. Also, I can't believe Voyager hasn't gotten the HD upgrade treatment.

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
The doctor actually has an character arc. Harry and Tom were the worst and seven helps a little bit voyager has the worst cast of any Star Trek.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Absolutely he's the best character on the show. Honestly I liked everyone in their own way (yes even Chakotay), but the Doctor was far and away the best.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I've watched Voyager on and off, and I agree that both the Doctor, and Seven are the best characters.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Oh I thought you were talking about Neelix again with the Kes love triangle stuff. Wang is a good looking guy but man Kim's personality was the worst.
Neelix and Kes broke up in Warlord (s3x10) and Kes experienced a future where she was married to and had a child with Tom Paris in Before and After (s3x21) which was supposed to set up a lot of things including the "Year of Hell" but Garret Wong avoided his character's death so Kes had to go to make room for Seven

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't hate Neelix since he always meant well but his entire character basically boils down to annoyingly cheerful.
Neelix is absolutely intolerable the first two seasons and improves immensely once he's removed from Kes and isn't 200% jealous all the time. There's even some stuff later on (such as when the tables are turned and he's forced to play the straight man to that visiting alien ambassador who decides to YOLO) that I think is excellent.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Watching Living Witness. Such a good episode. If only it were that easy to convince a large group of people that everything they've been taught all their lives was wrong.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I think you'll find the best part of Star Trek Voyager is..

captain-janeway-kate-mulgrew-star-trek-prodigy-voyager.jpg

Doctor's great though.

Katsyo

Oct 27, 2017
The Doctor is not only the best part of Voyager, I'd say he's the best doctor in Star Trek.

True, though tbh the competition isn't exactly stellar. Crusher and Bashir are as interesting as a bag of wet carrots and are clearly overshadowed by a vast amount of more interesting characters in their respective series. Phlox kinda doesn't get enough interesting stuff to do, which is kinda weird considering he was the only other alien aboard the Enterprise and Bones suffers maybe a bit too much of being from the original series and possibly being a bit too doctor like.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
The episode where Paris and Kim were stuck in the holodeck traitor simulation and it gets taken over by the real villain woman, and then the Doctor instead of helping them overpowers both of them with super strength and literally throws them out of sick bay.

That was great

edit: it was Tuvok

Last edited:

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
The doctor actually has an character arc. Harry and Tom were the worst and seven helps a little bit voyager has the worst cast of any Star Trek.

Tom should have just been kept as Nick Locarno from TNG. I have a soft spot for Harry since I didn't get to see east Asian guys on western TV much and he taught me about the bamboo ceiling.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
You're not wrong. The Doctor is up there with Janeway as my favorite VOY character (I'm a sucker for captains), followed by Tuvok and Seven.

Paris and Torres have their moments. Chakotay and Kim are pretty uncharismatic and dull. Neelix and Kes were the worst by far.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
Living Witness is one of the very best Star Trek episodes ever made. It has so much going on, from the alternate hilarious Voyager crew, the chemistry between the Doctor and the other Lead, the themes of revisionist history, the bottle within a bottle within a bottle framing, and the wonderful epilogue giving a really grand sense of completeness to the story.

It never comes up in various favourite lists and it bloody deserves to, and Robert Picardo as the Doctor absolutely makes it what it is!

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
Plus in the whole show we got: First Activation Doctor, Hard Light Doctor, Borg Fighting Fantasy Doctor, Opera Singer Doctor, Family Doctor, Priest Doctor, Alternate Future Doctor (x2), Psycho Doctor, Morality Removed Doctor, President of Earth Doctor, Backup Doctor, Giant Space Projection Doctor, Miniature Doctor, 1000 year old Time Distorted Doctor, Torture Android Doctor, Author Doctor, Diagnostic Programme Doctor, Mentor Doctor, Photographer Doctor, Poorly Doctor, Photonic Revolutionary Doctor, and many more.

The character was SO versatile and thank god the casting department went with the right man for the job.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Doctor and Seven are tied for me. They always got the most interesting material and the actors both killed it every time.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seven of Nine was one of the few characters I felt like actually had a storyline. I kinda wish they had let her wear normal clothes, something I was very happy to see her do in Picard, but other than that she was a fantastic member of the cast.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I can think of two utterly spectacular things on voyager that were better than the doctor ever was. Both of which were attached to Jeri Ryan. I speak of course about her incredible and unexpected acting talent that caused her to steal the show any time she had a role that wasn't about technobabble. Hell, the best doctor has Jeri Ryan playing him for most of it.

Also her ass.

She has three plot lines. Fix something, beat up something, want to screw someone. The character was wasted and would often be nothing more than "angry Klingon" even though she was half human.

Everytime she has a good episode it breaks out of those concepts. And it doesn't happen often.

This. She's also a shitty person. In season one she legit assaults a guy and gets promoted for it.

And her character actually gets WORSE once she hooks up with Tom. Quick quiz: name one of Bellanna's interests. Just one. Every other character gets some characterization beyond their job and personality defects. Tom likes everything brannon braga likes. Harry likes the clarinet, and being a model officer who never gets promoted. Tuvok enjoys botany and various vulcan board games. Neelix likes being annoying. Chakotay even got boxing as a character trait.

Once Torres hooks up with tom, she stops developing as a character and ANY TIME they do anything, it is one of his interests. There is a single glimpse of what she likes as a person in the entire show....and its a food item that comes up TWICE. Janeway's holographic boyfreind got more personality.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had forgotten until my rewatch that she has high heels built into her skin right uniform lol

Ugh, don't remind me. They totally just wanted a sexy woman on set and they made Jeri Ryan so dang uncomfortable for the entire run of the show to do it. Did you know she actually stopped drinking on set because if she needed to use the bathroom they basically had to shut down production for like an hour because of how difficult her costume was to take off and put back on?

Why did they go out of their way to make it so difficult for her? Everyone else got to wear normal clothes, but she had to wear bodysuits and corsets and four inch heels. They could have just given her a Starfleet uniform at any time.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Why did they go out of their way to make it so difficult for her? Everyone else got to wear normal clothes, but she had to wear bodysuits and corsets and four inch heels. They could have just given her a Starfleet uniform at any time.

You know why. And as unfortunate as it is, it's even more unfortunate that it worked. Pretty sure Voyager got more popular once she was introduced.

Still, I take solace in that she's a great character once you see past her costume.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Robert Picardo is fantastic: he gives an all-time great hammy passion, and the Doctor's evolution from a piece of software to a true individual with passions and relationships is amazing...

...but Jeri Ryan is an unappreciated outstanding actor, and she really elevated Seven of Nine. Not only does she exhibit exceptional range, and her parallel development with the Doctor is the most rewarding arc of the show (until they pair her up with Chakotay at the end for literally no reason) but Voyager finally had a proper foil for Janeway. She single-handedly saved the show. I'm still not over how badly she was wasted on Picard.

Also Tuvok was the hardest role to play (emotionless monotone Vulcans must be an actor's nightmare) but Tim Russ crushed it. You really get the sense that without Tuvok and Janeway keeping their shit together, Voyager wouldn't have lasted a month in the Delta Quadrant.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm watching Twisted now. I see what you mean by jealous Neelix in the early seasons. lol

I think next I will finally watch Tuvix again. I literally haven't seen it since it aired literally one month short of 25 years ago yesterday. (Same story for many episodes. I never really caught too much Voyager in syndication so most of my memories are from their original airing.)

Edit: Yeah he's soo fucking jealous of Tom.

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching Twisted now. I see what you mean by jealous Neelix in the early seasons. lol

I think next I will finally watch Tuvix again. I literally haven't seen it since it aired literally one month short of 25 years ago yesterday. (Same story for many episodes. I never really caught too much Voyager in syndication so most of my memories are from their original airing.)

Edit: Yeah he's soo fucking jealous of Tom.

The whole Tom/Kes thing was really forced as well. Not that Nelix was exactly some prize himself but Tom is like turbo douche in those early seasons.