• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is the Doctor the best part of Star Trey Voyager?

• Of course you idiot

Votes: 211 71.0%
  • Its obviously sexy of 9

Votes: 55 18.5%
  • Tom Paris turned into a Salamander

Votes: 26 8.8%
  • Grey haired Geordi's cameo

Votes: 5 1.7%

• Total voters

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Neelix was annoyingly nice, Tuvok was another dull Vulcan, Tom Paris was an arrogant douche, Harry Kim was that annoying puppy dog that followed you home and Janeway was a cold war criminal. The Doctor though? Sure his bedside manner was atrocious, his vanity was large and he could be a real dick but given all bull shit he was putting up with on Voyager he was often the perfect counterpoint to all the insanity and stupidity. He even had to put up with a neurotic hologram of Andy Dick for an entire episode. They wouldn't have made it out of the Delta quadrant without the Doctor. So the Doctor was the best part, right?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not since Arnold J. Rimmer has a hologram carried a show so hard.

I hope that someday the BBC hires Robert Picardo to play a one-off version of Doctor Who (maybe for a holiday special or something).

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
i just started watching some later seasons of the show that i never saw as a kid and i've thought more than once that i'd love to see Robert Picardo in a Frasier-esque sitcom. actually, i thought he had died a few years ago but it looks like he's still alive! someone give him a sitcom.

Jan 29, 2018
Yes.

I thought I read at some point he was in talks to appear in season 2 of Picard. Hopefully that's still true.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
My memory of Voyager is super hazy by this point, but didn't they Flanderize the character pretty hard precisely because they ultimately realized he was one of the best things about the show?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

I thought I read at some point he was in talks to appear in season 2 of Picard. Hopefully that's still true.

I'm hoping he shows up on Discovery. I'm just imagining a scene with him and Reno.

The timeline works so they could bring in The Doctor from the Voyager episode "Living Witness", which was an episode set hundreds of years in the future.

Or just have the normal Doctor have survived 800 years.

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Doctor felt like an audience stand in with his constant annoyance with the crew of Voyager.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
yes I believe the ratings went way up when every damn episode was about him an Seven.

Why not both....

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that there is zero mention of B'Elanna, good or bad. Sure all her episodes was some variation of her Klingon self-hatred but she's one of the few characters that has a personality and actually grows over the course of the series.

As for the Doctor, all his solo episodes suck but he's good paired up with anyone else in the cast.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Remember that episode where we find out the Doctor has dream fantasies when he "sleeps" and dumbass aliens were accidentally intercepting the dreams and interpreting them as real so he has to convince Janeway to let him live out his fantasy to save them from being destroyed by convincing the alien leader that they're more powerful than they actually are.

Or the one where he meets Andy Dick.

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember that episode where we find out the Doctor has dream fantasies when he "sleeps" and dumbass aliens were accidentally intercepting the dreams and interpreting them as real so he has to convince Janeway to let him live out his fantasy to save them from being destroyed by convincing the alien leader that they're more powerful than they actually are.

Or the one where he meets Andy Dick.

The fact he could put up with Andy Dick for an entire episode alone makes him the best. Janeway would have probably committed genocide.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
theres the one where he gets left on a planet for like 1000 years by the voyager crew

edit i actually wanna say there was more than one variation on that too

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I'm surprised that there is zero mention of B'Elanna, good or bad. Sure all her episodes was some variation of her Klingon self-hatred but she's one of the few characters that has a personality and actually grows over the course of the series.

As for the Doctor, all his solo episodes suck but he's good paired up with anyone else in the cast.
She has three plot lines. Fix something, beat up something, want to screw someone. The character was wasted and would often be nothing more than "angry Klingon" even though she was half human.

Everytime she has a good episode it breaks out of those concepts. And it doesn't happen often.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
His cameo in First Contact was good, as was his pseudo cameo in DS9 as Dr. Zimmerman.

Didn't all of the EMH version 1 holograms end up as slaves working in dilithium mines?

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Not since Arnold J. Rimmer has a hologram carried a show so hard.

You're not only right, but a Rimmer crossover would have been incredible. Red Dwarf would have been the perfect reflection of how screwed Voyager was if not for Janeway committing a few war crimes and eventually ending up in Litchfield Penitentiary.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
The fact he could put up with Andy Dick for an entire episode alone makes him the best. Janeway would have probably committed genocide.
I remember being excited to see him because I knew him from Newsradio. lol

Such a weird guest star choice.

I forget. Was that the episode where they find an abandoned ship that they were gonna switch to but didn't. Or the one where they find the ship sent specifically by Starfleet that they were gonna switch to but then it turns out it wasn't real. Or did I make that first one up. God I haven't watched a lot of Voyager episodes since they first aired.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
The Doctor is the most consistently good character in the show, but I think that all characters have great episodes.

I think Chakotay could have been amazing had he not been saddled with the mysticism. Robert Beltran is an extremely charismatic guy.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
You're not only right, but a Rimmer crossover would have been incredible. Red Dwarf would have been the perfect reflection of how screwed Voyager was if not for Janeway committing a few war crimes and eventually ending up in Litchfield Penitentiary.
Replace Andy Dick with Arnold Rimmer and... well.. I hadn't seen nor heard of Red Dwarf at the point that episode aired so I wouldn't have gotten the reference until like 2000 when I discovered the show on cable.

I didn't hate Neelix since he always meant well but his entire character basically boils down to annoyingly cheerful.
Neelix gets a bad rap. Remember when he started his own news channel? Or his cooking show? Or did I imagine some of those again? What was the channel he started when they accidentally went back to 1996? lol

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The Doctor is not only the best part of Voyager, I'd say he's the best doctor in Star Trek.

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember being excited to see him because I knew him from Newsradio. lol

Such a weird guest star choice.

I forget. Was that the episode where they find an abandoned ship that they were gonna switch to but didn't. Or the one where they find the ship sent specifically by Starfleet that they were gonna switch to but then it turns out it wasn't real. Or did I make that first one up. God I haven't watched a lot of Voyager episodes since they first aired.

Andy Dick was a weird choice but let's not forget...

38xcxj.jpg

I was kind of hoping Seinfeld would have been one of the members of the Think Tank.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
She has three plot lines. Fix something, beat up something, want to screw someone. The character was wasted and would often be nothing more than "angry Klingon" even though she was half human.

Everytime she has a good episode it breaks out of those concepts. And it doesn't happen often.

That's all true and still orders of magnitude more developed than any of the other characters outside of The Doctor and Seven.

The Doctor is the most consistently good character in the show, but I think that all characters have great episodes.

I think Chakotay could have been amazing had he not been saddled with the mysticism. Robert Beltran is an extremely charismatic guy.

He had some amazing episodes like the one where he found the marooned Borg or the one where he gets brainwashed into a war but man his potential as a counter-balance to Janeway was completely wasted.

Neelix gets a bad rap. Remember when he started his own news channel? Or his cooking show? Or did I imagine some of those again? What was the channel he started when they accidentally went back to 1996? lol

He does, but he was also written for the first few seasons as space pedophile with his weird relationship with Kes.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Andy Dick was a weird choice but let's not forget...

38xcxj.jpg

I was kind of hoping Seinfeld would have been one of the members of the Think Tank.
I'd expect Kramer before Jerry TBH. Frasier may have shown up in Trek but I never saw Seinfeld as being on that level.

(This is where someone mentions that Jerry Seinfeld is a Trek fan or something.)

Now I wish there was a Trek episode with Kramer in it. (Yes I know Kramer is a terrible person. But so is Andy Dick. lol)