• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Also fuck

Just learned that fuckin Gregor dies, I thought all 3 of them lived. That fucking sucks.

He dies like a hero fighting the Empire though. Unfortunately for some reason Filoni decided to make him have some sort of brain damage sequel from removing his control chip, so he's kinda crazy in Rebels

And here's a good ass quote from Rex:

"I used to believe that being a good soldier meant doing everything they told you. That's how they engineered us. But we're not droids. We're not programmed. You have to learn to make your own decisions."

And the payoff...

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
He dies like a hero fighting the Empire though. Unfortunately for some reason Filoni decided to make him have some sort of brain damage sequel from removing his control chip, so he's kinda crazy in Rebels

He was a motherfuckin boss in TCW, too. THAT episode is one of my favorites. I'm glad Rex and Wolffe were the other 2 to survive post purge, Plo Koon's best boy deserved a good life, and Rex is fucking Rex.

edit: Also the whole arc with Fives is probably the most heartbreaking part of Star Wars

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Sifo-Dyas had perfectly good intentions with the Clones that Palpatine/Dooku later twisted to their own ends following his death. Sadly sometimes the best intentions don't have the best outcomes.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really?

Being literally brainwashed to kill your close friend you've been fighting alongside and being unable to stop yourself is way more tragic. They weren't just mindless soldiers. They were people.
Then you can't develop them as human characters.

Humanized tragic clones > robot clones. Clones ended up becoming some of the best characters in the series and you needed the chip explanation for that to happen.
Completely agree with these two posts. I can't comprehend the desire that poster has to actually want them to basically be more robots. One of the reasons The Clone Wars worked so well was because of the Clones themselves.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Completely agree with these two posts. I can't comprehend the desire that poster has to actually want them to basically be more robots. One of the reasons The Clone Wars worked so well was because of the Clones themselves.

That is something that The Clone Wars excels at above all other Star Wars media, IMO. There is so much well written tragedy. Hell, even the fucker that people like to make fun of, Savage Opress, is tragic as hell.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I didn't know...

...and I still wonder what Christopher Lee's initial reaction was when Lucas told him his character was named Dooku.

As always with Lee, I'm sure it was completely professional.
Considering some of the B movies he's been in it was probably "I'd wear high heels and lipstick if they need me to. A paycheck's a paycheck."

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is something that The Clone Wars excels at above all other Star Wars media, IMO. There is so much well written tragedy. Hell, even the fucker that people like to make fun of, Savage Opress, is tragic as hell.
Savage is a great character, the only thing dumb about him is his name... and unfortunately he's not the only one. Those years after ROTS saw Lucas really start to like dumb as hell names.

The best character/tragedy for me is Satine. Like holy hell should Obi-Wan have had a love interest in the actual prequels. It's so well done.
I'm with the OP, just make the Emperor the guy who secretly commissioned the clone army.
He did, just through several steps to obscure the fact he did.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Maybe it's because I've never held the Clone Wars cartoon in that high regard. It's fun, but much of the show is pretty disposable.

I just found the whole chip concept to be lazy, but they wrote themselves into a corner when they made the clones super likable.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The chips just amount to boring mind control.

I liked the idea of the troopers being actually brainwashed to obey Sheev no matter what.
It's a double edged sword yeah conceptually it's just boring mind control

But it allows the show to develop the clones as people so it's ultimately better for it imo

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's because I've never held the Clone Wars cartoon in that high regard. It's fun, but much of the show is pretty disposable.

I just found the whole chip concept to be lazy, but they wrote themselves into a corner when they made the clones super likable.
Part of the goal with The Clone Wars was to "Fix" the prequel's problems and find good solutions to all of Lucas' dead ends. That includes making sense of Order 66 and the Clones, but also making Anakin an actually likable and heroic character, really fleshing out Obi-Wan and Anakin's friendship (which the movies don't really adequately show), making Anakin's fall to the dark side more clear and tragic, fleshing out the Jedi Order's stupidity, arrogance, and incompetence to allow the entire purge to happen in the first place, deepening Obi-Wan's character, and many other things. To say nothing of the actual cool additions to the mythology that have nothing to do with salvaging the prequels, like Mortis, the Nightsisters, Cad Bane, Hondo, Mandalore, etc.

The entire show is definitely not disposable in any way, and I'd go as far as to argue it ultimately contains the best material in the entire franchise.

The Clones, ultimately, are made better by being likable real characters who we come to grow and like, who the Jedi come to grow and like. We were robbed of the finale (though we're finally getting it in a few months), but even without seeing the tragedy play out, that entire scenario is so inherently rich storytelling. It's just about the furthest thing from lazy.

You're allowed not to like it for whatever arbitrary reason, but I think dismissing it the way you are is the actual laziness.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
It's so obviously far far from lazy. But seeing all this effort and talent going into what basically is a remedy for the abstruse story of the PT is kinda painful in its on way.

Nov 8, 2017
Ok so basically the Clone Army stuff is fucking weird, sure. But creating 3 million clones on a planet is not actually THAT weird. Like a planet could have tens of billions of inhabitants in theory. 20th century Earth economies for subsections of our planet individually fielded millions of troops. Even without Clones, you could theoretically raise billions of soldiers in the republic without much fuss. Like there are thousands of inhabited planets! If the Republic had a volunteer army with good wages they could easily get billions of soldiers, inside of 1 year, all trained and ready for battle on an invidiual person basis. I have zero doubt Kamino could have raised a 3 million strong army based on mercenaries out of a Republic with hundreds of trillions of people and outer rim neutral territories instead of clones.

The logical questions for me are more like - who is building all these space ships for them? That's the real power in the war. In order to land any soldiers you need to be able to ferry them through space. If one side has total space supremacy the other is in major trouble. Theoretically it's all the biggest spaceship companies making them, at least based on my memories of the lore. Like Kamino was placing orders for all this stuff. So much plot emphasis was put on the clone army made of clones but really it's an equal or greater mystery as to how all their heaviest gear was made. That's arguablly a more fascinating paper trail to follow because it's like Kuat Drive Yards and shit like that cranking out huge quantities of equipment for this shadow army.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so basically the Clone Army stuff is fucking weird, sure. But creating 3 million clones on a planet is not actually THAT weird. Like a planet could have tens of billions of inhabitants in theory. 20th century Earth economies for subsections of our planet individually fielded millions of troops. Even without Clones, you could theoretically raise billions of soldiers in the republic without much fuss. Like there are thousands of inhabited planets! If the Republic had a volunteer army with good wages they could easily get billions of soldiers, inside of 1 year, all trained and ready for battle on an invidiual person basis. I have zero doubt Kamino could have raised a 3 million strong army based on mercenaries out of a Republic with hundreds of trillions of people and outer rim neutral territories instead of clones.

The logical questions for me are more like - who is building all these space ships for them? That's the real power in the war. In order to land any soldiers you need to be able to ferry them through space. If one side has total space supremacy the other is in major trouble. Theoretically it's all the biggest spaceship companies making them, at least based on my memories of the lore. Like Kamino was placing orders for all this stuff. So much plot emphasis was put on the clone army made of clones but really it's an equal or greater mystery as to how all their heaviest gear was made. That's arguablly a more fascinating paper trail to follow because it's like Kuat Drive Yards and shit like that cranking out huge quantities of equipment for this shadow army.
This is a good point and one of those things I think TCW actually didn't explain. I could somewhat buy the Republic already had a few Star Destroyers for its use (and whatever ships the initial batch at the end of AOTC used), but they didn't even give that explanation. And it's a total mystery as to how they had as many ships, tanks, etc as they did.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017

I bet palpatine ordered dooku to attack the industrial engineering clan just to offer them the help of the republic. Or he planted the thought in their minds. Typical Sheev!

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really though.. In this universe how hard/long of a process could it be to make ships?
For the sheer size and scale of the Republic army in the Clone Wars... I feel like it would take quite a why. Especially since we know in the Star Wars universe there are these massive shipyards that employ a ton of people and they -don't- just 3D print them or something.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Can anyone give me an explanation for why anyone wanted an army of human clones rather than... just killer robots or sith-minded people or something?

Did the clones in the forgettable prequels display free will? Did they have private lives? How did the movie just shrug off the moral implications of cloning?

When Luke said "you fought in the clone wars?" my imagination went wild.

I didn't imagine the Jedi commanding clones in pre-imperial armour.....

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
They did have free will until the chip implanted into them kicked in. Some clones deserted the army. One raised a family (though I think the children were step-children)

For the sheer size and scale of the Republic army in the Clone Wars... I feel like it would take quite a why. Especially since we know in the Star Wars universe there are these massive shipyards that employ a ton of people and they -don't- just 3D print them or something.

Yeah probably. But at the same time they might have had a several stocked up over the years. I mean think about how much the USA spends on the. Military... Now multiply that by.. A fuck ton.

Either way it is weird to think about

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone give me an explanation for why anyone wanted an army of human clones rather than... just killer robots or sith-minded people or something?

Did the clones in the forgettable prequels display free will? Did they have private lives? How did the movie just shrug off the moral implications of cloning?

When Like said "you fought in the clone wars?" my imagination went wild.

Yes. Watch The Clone Wars. The movies didn't explain shit about this, but that series entirely redeems the storylines attempted in the Prequels.

As far as why humans over droids, there's no exact answer, but... I would guess because the badguys were using droids and, frankly, a sentient brain was seen as superior to the fairly mindless droid armies. This of course goes back to the age old argument of man vs machine, a ghost in the shell, the soul, etc. The bottom line is a human just makes decisions different than a robot and that is an asset in all situations.

Nov 8, 2017

I'm not sure if there's any in-universe explanation. Droids in Star Wars are definitely capable of human-like intelligence. The mass scale production battle droids are real fucken dumb but they're about the only stupid droids we see in the whole Star Wars franchise, usually they're super smart and helpful and good at what they do.

Best not to tug too hard at this thread, though. You'll never stop having questions. A society with human+ intelligence robots would not look anything like Star Wars and droids would be perfect shots with their weapons and would have wiped the fucken floor with the Clones using their autoaim hax.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about droids is that they're all single-purpose. From the dumb battle droids to astromechs to Threepio, each droid only excels at its particular, preprogrammed role.

The clones, meanwhile, aren't just rando enlistees like stormtroopers but are generic copies of one of the most notorious and deadly bounty hunters of their time. They should be far more versatile and cost-effective.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

When Luke said "you fought in the clone wars?" my imagination went wild.

Yes. Watch The Clone Wars. The movies didn't explain shit about this, but that series entirely redeems the storylines attempted in the Prequels.

As far as why humans over droids, there's no exact answer, but... I would guess because the badguys were using droids and, frankly, a sentient brain was seen as superior to the fairly mindless droid armies. This of course goes back to the age old argument of man vs machine, a ghost in the shell, the soul, etc. The bottom line is a human just makes decisions different than a robot and that is an asset in all situations.

I always assumed they got the clone army and the clones are highly skilled and effective enough and they needed an army quick. Helps they were clones of a legendary and were trained by top notch soldiers

So when they got an army dropped into their lap they just ran with it.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if there's any in-universe explanation. Droids in Star Wars are definitely capable of human-like intelligence. The mass scale production battle droids are real fucken dumb but they're about the only stupid droids we see in the whole Star Wars franchise, usually they're super smart and helpful and good at what they do.

Best not to tug too hard at this thread, though. You'll never stop having questions. A society with human+ intelligence robots would not look anything like Star Wars and droids would be perfect shots with their weapons and would have wiped the fucken floor with the Clones using their autoaim hax.
We seen that the droids are really fucking dumb and they rely on numbers to win fights only elite droids like the commandos can actually fight them one on one

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sifo-Dyas is a fantastic Starwars name.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't know...

...and I still wonder what Christopher Lee's initial reaction was when Lucas told him his character was named Dooku.

As always with Lee, I'm sure it was completely professional.
I just listened to a pre-fall Dooku / Sifo-Dias centric audiobook, and man is it goofy when his friends just call him "Dooku" constantly

Nov 8, 2017
We seen that the droids are really fucking dumb and they rely on numbers to win fights only elite droids like the commandos can actually fight them one on one

Battle droids are really dumb.

R2D2 is a genius. C3P0 is an order of magnitude beyond any AI from Earth in capabilities, despite being clumsy.

Getting a machine to aim and fire a weapon, in real life, is a very easy task once you've identified a target. With superhuman accuracy. Guided munitions just make that much easier. In Star Wars, it's presented as the other way around - the battle droids are really slow and inaccurate at aiming their guns but can identify targets and perform basic reasoning to a sophisticated degree by RL standards. Star Wars tech would easily allow much, much superior designs, like rapid fire blasters that float through the air, or small tracked vehicles with powerful guns that mow down enemies by the dozen. The battle tactics that the Clones have on Geonosis is really dumb by RL standards, of course, so they'd fall easy prey to this kind of thing.

Even as presented in universe, Droidekas were beast mode and in theory would have been able to kill very large numbers of clones in a straight up fight. But mano-a-mano battling is really not how the war would be decided, and the choice of Clones vs Droids vs Recruits really is secondary to whether or not the faction can control Space. But that's the side of things that the media shows us the least of.

(Yes I'm aware this is all fictional nonsense and the real reason for all this is because X is Cool or because George didn't think Y through very well and the whole story was just to serve narrative ends, not to be a realistic siluation of a specific tech level)

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
Why didn't the Seperatists just order the clone army and use them to overrun the Jedi in direct conflict?

I mean, even the droids were able to inflict significant Jedi casualties at Geonosis...

This has already been answered a bit but the purpose of the Clone Wars was not only to wipe out the Jedi but to also prepare the Republic for a transition to an Empire.

The Clone Wars goes into how Palpatine continues to receive 'emergency' powers, how well liked on a personal level he is compared to an average senator, how he has paid off a substantial amount of the senate, how he has centralised the state (the banks are now centrally owned), he takes more direct control of Kamino, etc.

The war is long and drains the Republic, Palpatines 'answer' is that Republic must transition to an Empire to survive. The average person would probably not mind this as they really like Palpatine and trust him and pretty much no one else.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to rewatch the scene where Obi-wan goes to the planet. It's hilarious how stupid the Kamino aliens are. Even though Obi-wan is giving clear signs that he has no idea what the fuck is going on and asking really basic questions, they have zero suspicions and just explain away everything to what amounts to a random Jedi that just showed up out of nowhere.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I decided to rewatch the scene where Obi-wan goes to the planet. It's hilarious how stupid the Kamino aliens are. Even though Obi-wan is giving clear signs that he has no idea what the fuck is going on and asking really basic questions, they have zero suspicions and just explain away everything to what amounts to a random Jedi that just showed up out of nowhere.
Their species is very gullible and can't pick up on human body language you speciest. And they just really really like cloning and were eager to see their troops in action. It's all explained in more detail if you subscribe to my patreon where I'll also prove how Dexter Jettster was in league with Sheev to lead Obi Wan to Kamino.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently if I just go there and say my company is totally going to pay for it for sure they don't secure a contract or call my bosses to make sure I'm legit or require proof that I'm actually representing the company or seek confirmation from my boss

Or any proof

Just go and say my bosses are going to pay for it no worries

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, Palpatine was the mastermind, although he didn't directly place the order.

Palps convinced Dooku to convince Sifo-Dyas to put in the order for the clones. Sifo-Dyas did not come up with the idea on his own. He had a vision of the future, and with Dooku's manipulation, was convinced that the clone army would be the best way to go. Palps was the mastermind. Dooku was the middle-man. And Sifo was the one who went to the clone shop and put in the order. Dooku later had the Pykes murder Sifo-Dyas as a way to eliminate any connections back to them, which is fucked up because Dooku and Sifo grew up together and were best friends in their childhood. Dooku is also the one who recruited Jango to be the clone template. Dooku knew the whole Clone War was bullshit right from the start, and he learned that Palps was Sidious soon after he left the Jedi Order. Grievous never knew any of that.

About who paid for it all, well, a lot of that was answered in the Clone Wars with Palpatine taking control of the banking clan, which has already been addressed. But it's also important to know that once Dooku reclaimed his title of Count of Serenno, he became one of the richest people in the entire galaxy. I'm sure he used some of his own money to kickstart things. That's probably one of the reasons Sidious approached him in the first place. His vast wealth plus his disdain for the Jedi, Senate, and Republic likely made him an ideal candidate to help him get the ball rolling.

And Dooku was very strong force and saber user.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the order for the clones happene right after Palpatine became Chancellor?

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently if I just go there and say my company is totally going to pay for it for sure they don't secure a contract or call my bosses to make sure I'm legit or require proof that I'm actually representing the company or seek confirmation from my boss

Or any proof

Just go and say my bosses are going to pay for it no worries

And keep in mind this is, at this point, a ten year investment. It's not like this was a hasty decision they just went with. For ten years they've genetically altered and physically raised, fed and trained 200,000 clones with millions more in the works.

In all that time, not only did no word get out that a Clone army was being raised for the jedi order, they also apparently never saw any payment for this either.

The sheer scale of the errors required for the plot to work is staggering.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
And keep in mind this is, at this point, a ten year investment. It's not like this was a hasty decision they just went with. For ten years they've genetically altered and physically raised, fed and trained 200,000 clones with millions more in the works.

In all that time, not only did no word get out that a Clone army was being raised for the jedi order, they also apparently never saw any payment for this either.

The sheer scale of the errors required for the plot to work is staggering.
Actually apparently based on a clone wars arc I completely forgot about that he was able to secure a loan from a galactic bank guild and the republic was going to go broke because they called on it before Palpatine took care of it

It's still Sifo securing the loan for an entire government that had no idea but at least the kaminoans got payed for raising a galactic army
I think several episodes of Clone Wars covered this. Someone with more knowledge can correct me. IIRC whoever commissioned the clones secured a loan from the "Banking clan," (the show implied all large business deals and credit transfers were controlled by a single family) and during the war the clan threatened to call in the loan during a bad time for the Republic. Long story short Separatists, under Dooku and unofficially Palpatine/Sidious, get involved and try to take control of the clan only for Chancellor Palpatine to offer the clan protection if the loan was considered paid. They agreed. So essentially not only did Palpatine get the army for free, he also assumed control of most of the money in the galaxy.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Actually apparently based on a clone wars arc I completely forgot about that he was able to secure a loan from a galactic bank guild and the republic was going to go broke because they called on it before Palpatine took care of it

It's still Sifo securing the loan for an entire government that had no idea but at least the kaminoans got payed for raising a galactic army

As I said before, I don't feel this matters that much. It is an ad-hoc fix that was invented long after the plot device was written. It's not like obiwan asked them for financial records which would be a major step in figuring out how this screw-up happened.

We can commend the Clone wars team all we want for fixing lucas' mess to the extent they did, but that doesn't mean the movies plot point makes any more sense.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It's clearly a mess created by Lucas. TCW tried to fix and explain this mess, it's still messy but at least TCW did plug up lot of the holes even if some of it is vague and not fully figured out still.

But same can be said of the ST and how the First Order comes to be and all they build up. Even with some of the expanded content with explanations, it's still stretching things heavily.

Dec 31, 2017
As one critic put it: "the prequels only make sense if each character demonstrates cascading levels of stupidity......and Anakin Skywalker sits on-top of that particular tree"

Last edited:

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
But that's exactly what they are. The second Palpatine triggers Order 66 they couldn't do anything and were at his beck and call. And they remained under his control until he had no further use for them.

That's how Palpatine kept them until he discarded them in favor of Stormtroopers

What actually happened to the massive clone armies after the Clone Wars?