• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yea, that's our dollar for you. Love buying tech in CAD, so good.

At least in Ontario, PSN is tax free. Eh. Game Pass will help at least.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
So around $737 for a PS5 at launch if I buy just one game.

Thoughts?
Sony is doing an excellent job making GamePass look attractive.

I'm guessing PC prices will get an increase eventually as well; meaning I'll finally stop buying more games and focus on my backlog.

80 CAD for a new game already feels ludicrous. No way am I shelling out over a bill per game.

kiich

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jan 2, 2018
Brazil and our 954USD PS5 send our regards.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
The PS5 being more money than the Series X is criminal.

At $107 there isn't a game worth getting on day one.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
It's cheaper than the straight conversion would be. $499 right now is about $660, so we're getting a $30 break.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
We got a favorable exchange rate. What are you complaining about?

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
It's 629 which is less than the exchange rate for 499 USD.
The games are 89 which is lower than 69 USD.

We're literally getting better prices than the US on both the hardware and the games.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Expected an unfavorable exchange rte and both consoles to be 699, saved up for that.

Now feel like I'm saving 170 bucks. Buying an extra dualsense as a result lol.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I'm only buying Demon Souls at launch. Going forward I don't see myself buying many games day 1.

ArtemisLunar

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Jun 13, 2018
In Mexico the price is going to be around 15k pesos for the main unit (711 USD), so I'm gonna wait until being in Canada, lol

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
PSVR was $699 at launch here, so I was never expecting them to be generous on exchange rate.

As it stands, unless I decide to trade in or sell my PS4 Pro, I'll wait for enough games to be out before picking up the 5 (just like I did with the last two).

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Canadians are entitled
The buying power of imports is weakened with a weak dollar, surely you understand this. It is more expensive for us than it was a couple years ago plain and simple. Games went from 60 to 90 in one generation and we aren't paid in USD. If americans had a similar price hike the whining would have been biblical.

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I would prefer our dollar to be on par with the US like it was in 2013, but I saved up expecting $500 USD (each, plan on getting a Series X too to play with some friends who don't have a decent PC) so I'm good. That said I'm only planning on buying one PS5 game for a while, the rest will be my PS4 backlog so I can finish that.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
We got a favorable exchange rate. What are you complaining about?

The Xbox is 30 dollars cheaper.
So you have a more powerful consoles that is also smaller, and cheaper, and has a service that blunts the insanely high game prices we have now(not to mention a SKU that is under 400 bucks)

That's the issue.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We're the type of country to sell our natural resources for pennies on the dollar and then buy the refined material back for triple what we paid it for.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox is 30 dollars cheaper.
So you have a more powerful consoles that is also smaller, and cheaper, and has a service that blunts the insanely high game prices we have now(not to mention a SKU that is under 400 bucks)

That's the issue.
honestly I think gamepass looks better and better by the day.

PapaShango

Oct 27, 2017
Time to consider gamepass and multi-plat gaming on another comparable but more affordable device / ecosystem?

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
honestly I think gamepass looks better and better by the day.

I am so glad that on my last birthday I took the money my grandmother gave me and bought three years of live then did the convert to ultimate for 1 dollar trick.
I'm always a person who believes in supporting devs but 90 dollar games makes it hard to do unless I am SURE I will enjoy it. Increasingly gamepass is looking like it will be a part of my gaming life going forward. I may only ever buy first party games if they are limited editions or super discounted, and at least gamepass lets me know they are getting support.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Time to consider gamepass and multi-plat gaming on another comparable but more affordable device / ecosystem?
granted it was 2010 when it was done, but a econamist modeled ourt a maxuim revenue model for games and found $40 to be it. we have had so manny secusses thois gen in that range too of games just blowing up. I am almost shocked to see game prices go up.