• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
The thread title is unfair to Pachter and should be changed.

Timeline is:

- Killer mentions "Subscribe to Pewdiepie" in his video
- Pachter speculates that the attack might have been intentionally timed to land on pi day, aka 3/14

For the record he is wrong (it is actually March 15 down this side of the world) but he's not making light of a terrorist attack.

Nah. That's a non sequitur. Unless he is literally senile and he spouts unrelated comments. He knows the guy didn't go on a killing spree because it was pi day.

OP
OP
sabrina

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA

Timeline is:

- Pachter speculates that the attack might have been intentionally timed to land on pi day, aka 3/14

For the record he is wrong (it is actually March 15 down this side of the world) but he's not making light of a terrorist attack.
No, it's completely fair. If your immediate reaction to hearing about a terrible tragedy is to posture yourself as someone who knows tangential and unimportant trivia, then maybe reexamine your priorities. Pachter's tweet immediately distracts from the gravity of the situation, which makes light of it.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
People just really want to hate on this dude, huh?

Could it be possible that he's simply stating that it's Pi Day, something PewDiePie embraces, and he's trying to explain WHY the shooter would say that?

I don't even see how it's a joke the way it's written, especially with the "I'm not sure it's still Pi Day" line.

Admittedly it's really poorly written, but it's Twitter. Probably shouldn't have said it, especially the way he did on the platform he did, but I seriously doubt he's making a joke.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I still can't believe some of you are trying so hard to break this tweet down to explain it away. It's a bad tweet. Let him reply and explain it himself.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fairly obvious what he's saying. I'm a little puzzled as to how people can miss the point so badly.

14/3 is called "Pi day" in reference to the number. Over here, it's common to do pie-themed events on that day. Upon hearing the news that the video in question has references to PewDiePie, he's suggesting that maybe it's an intentional refence to Pi Day. However, he's questioning this because it's currently the 15/3 in Aus/NZ. If the killer had timed their attack for 14/3, it could be seen as some kind of sick Pi Day/PewDiePie thing.

Timeline is:

Yeah, I am not certain Pachter was making a (horrible) joke here either.

It can be read in more than one way.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is an unbelievably dumb, but honest mistake. Which is fucking insane, because how can you claim to be an effective analyst of an industry if you can't recognize and be familiar with the history of one of the most prominent influencers in the industry? Obviously his focus is on stocks and investments but come on how stupid can you be

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Okay, let me see.
He says it pi day in America. He's just thinking maybe the reference to PewDiePie and that is linked.

And since New Zealand is ahead of the US in time, he says maybe not.

It doesnt look like he was making a joke. Am I missing something here?

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is an unbelievably dumb, but honest mistake. Which is fucking insane, because how can you claim to be an effective analyst of an industry if you can't recognize and be familiar with the history of one of the most prominent influencers in the industry? Obviously his focus is on stocks and investments but come on how stupid can you be
PewDiePie himself draws a connection between Pi Day and PewDiePie. As in, he did it literally today.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, let me see.
He says it pi day in America. He's just thinking maybe the reference to PewDiePie and that is linked.

And since New Zealand is ahead of the US in time, he says maybe not.

It doesnt look like he was making a joke. Am I missing something here?

Nope, that's how several of us took the tweet.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. That's a non sequitur. Unless he is literally senile and he spouts unrelated comments. He knows the guy didn't go on a killing spree because it was pi day.
No, it's completely fair. If your immediate reaction to hearing about a terrible tragedy is to posture yourself as someone who knows tangential and unimportant trivia, then maybe reexamine your priorities. Pachter's tweet immediately distracts from the gravity of the situation, which makes light of it.
I can understand how this speculation can be considered irrelevant and possibly insensitive (i don't actually agree with this however), but people in this thread are acting as if he's cracking a joke about a terrorist attack when he clearly isn't doing that. People are being extremely uncharitable here because they don't like the guy.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Patrick's comment to him is on point. Patcher is being an idiot, as is tradition, and should really stay in his lane. It's a tragedy and he shouldn't be making dumb guesses.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Maybe he meant it's no longer 3/14 there because of the time difference? Seems like some strange and oddly-placed attempt at humor rather than being actively antagonistic

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018

Could it be possible that he's simply stating that it's Pi Day, something PewDiePie embraces, and he's trying to explain WHY the shooter would say that?

I don't even see how it's a joke the way it's written, especially with the "I'm not sure it's still Pi Day" line.

Admittedly it's really poorly written, but it's Twitter. Probably shouldn't have said it, especially the way he did on the platform he did, but I seriously doubt he's making a joke.

Does it really need to be pointed out that is Pi day? Of what fucking importance is it really?

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what the hell is Pi Day? 3/14? I have never in my life heard of this.
https://www.piday.org/
Pi Day is celebrated on March 14th (3/14) around the world. Pi (Greek letter "π") is the symbol used in mathematics to represent a constant — the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter — which is approximately 3.14159. Pi Day is an annual opportunity for math enthusiasts to recite the infinite digits of Pi, talk to their friends about math, and to eat Pie.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
"Subscribe to PewDiePie" isn't random. It's not. It's a stupid-ass meme. It has nothing to do with Pi Day. I'm struggling to understand why he'd ever think that tweet was needed. Joke or not, it's silly.
yeah, embarrassingly enough, this's very likely all down to him trying to show how cool/hip he is by knowing that it's 'pi day'...

I don't think he's trying to be cool or hip, I think he's trying to play internet CSI and make connections as to why this happened on this day.

Emmert

Banned
Oct 23, 2018
I still can't believe some of you are trying so hard to break this tweet down to explain it away. It's a bad tweet. Let him reply and explain it himself.

I was going to get on twitter and call him out, but I'm not sure it's a joke. I mean he's an ass, but I think there's a huge difference between making a joke about a mass shooting and commenting on a possibility for why the shooter chose 3/14. There's already a connection between the shooter and liking PDP. I think he was just making another.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
kelpek nailed it in the follow up. if it's a joke he's a asshole. if it's speculation he's a moron. neither look good.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does it really need to be pointed out that is Pi day? Of what fucking importance is it really?
The killer declared "Subscribe to PewDiePie" immediately before he started killing people. He launched this attack very close to Pi Day. PewDiePie himself tweeted this a few hours ago.

Imagine if someone started killing people on May the 4th immediately after saying, "Follow Mark Hamill on Twitter." The date chosen would make morbid sense. Of course the killer attacked on March 15 in New Zealand time so it's not Pie Day here anymore, but it's Pi Day in America and a few other countries still, I believe. Pi Day is somewhat well known in Australia and New Zealand. Schools often bake pies for lunch and such.

Oct 26, 2017

Welp, there you go.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Wtf does Pi day have to do with a mosque shooting?

Jesus Christ this guy is ignorant and dumb.

Shooter referenced PewDiePie druing rampage.

Joke is that PDP was referenced but it's not Pi day in NZ.

It's the level of humor you'd expect from a tryhard teen trying to be "edgy."

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't seem like a joke. Where are we getting that?

It seems like he is legit saying that it is Pi day, which explains the Pewdiepie reference and that it might not be Pi day anymore in NZ because of the timezones.

Am I missing something?
Yeah, I think it very easily could have been an innocent comment.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

Timeline is:

This attack was being reported when it was already well into the night hours of all US time zones. You'd have to be a complete idiot not to realize that it would not be Pi day in NZ at that point. So either he's dumb as rocks, or he knew exactly what he was doing when he posted this.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
he could have meant that the killer chose pi day to do the mass shooting to go along with his subscribe to pewdiepie remark before doing it.
Which still doesn't make it anywhere close to being okay for him to say in response to this.

This feels like he could have said "the sky is blue" or some other mundane fact and it would be just as fucked up given the subject matter.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
To be perfectly honest with you, I'm less upset about Pachter making a bad taste joke or emotionally detached observation than the fact that this guy

qpiejauiekjq.jpg

has been normalizing white supremacists while blaming the media for calling him on his shit.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
This deserved its own thread. I always knew Pachter was an idiot, but I never knew he was such a scumbag as to "joke" about something like this.

Looking forward to never seeing his name in an Era thread title again.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible he meant this as "In case people don't think this is related to pewdiepie fandom, it may be of note that this shooting occurred on Pi Day as well." rather than a joke?
That's how I'm seeing it, too. I honestly think between the anger over the shooting and the hate for Pachter on this forum, people are using this tweet to scapegoat.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
The reason the pi comment is so completely irrelevant as to be non sequitur or malicious is that the meme of 'subscribe to pewdiepie' is well known and has been making the rounds beyond even the games industry. It has been going on for months. There was the cases of graffiti on the news...

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
IDK that it is meant to be a joke. It's definitely poorly written and can be read as a terrible joke, but it could also be an earnest attempt to explain why the video has a reference to PDP. Either way, he should have done a better job expressing his thoughts.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reason the pi comment is so completely irrelevant as to be non sequitur or malicious is that the meme of 'subscribe to pewdiepie' is well known and has been making the rounds beyond even the games industry. It has been going on for months. There was the cases of graffiti on the news...
A few hours ago, PieDiePie tweeted that it is Pie Day and therefore you should subscribe to him. That is the complete opposite of a non-sequitur. It is a connection PewDiePie himself recognizes.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
A few hours ago, PieDiePie tweeted that it is Pie Day and therefore you should subscribe to him. That is the complete opposite of a non-sequitur. It is a connection PewDiePie himself recognizes.

So Pachter was aware of an hours old tweet and not a months old meme also spread by PewDiePie (and hate groups, to an extent)?

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd never heard it and I read this forum daily. Also I don't really get how any of that makes Pachter's tweet malicious or irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.