• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna be hard going from 3tb on the ps4 down to 800gb. I think i can get through a year on that and then need think about getting one of those samsung 980s or similar assuming they get certified for the ps5.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I know the ps5 let's you put a new drive in the system ( has to be compatible) but is this new drive a replacement or an expansion?
I'm not talking external.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Does PS5 do fast resume of multiple games like the Series X and S? If it was 3 current gen games that would probably take an additonal 20-40GB reserved for the OS depending on compression.

Depends heavily on the games. Big AAA games probably as few as 5, if smaller file sizes maybe 10. If you have a lot of small indie games a lot more, some of those are only a few GB.

Going to try to get a 4 or 5TB drive for PS4 and offloading the SSD.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting between 10-15, more if you're looking at playing a lot of indies.

Which I think is okay until such a time as expandable storage prices begin to come down.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
The digital edition is 1 TB right? Should be enough space for me, I rarely play different games at the same time. At most 3.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Aren't game sizes supposed to be a bit reduced due to the SSD speed? Current games need to store things like texture assets multiple times because the HDD speed is so slow they have to repeat data in various places so it able to access it fast enough.

I'm sure I can remember Cerny or someone talking about it and used an example from Spiderman saying like the textures for post boxes had to be saved over 400 times in the files so that the HDD would be able to access it fast enough from anywhere when it needed it and with the PS5 SSD this kind of repeated data will not be needed so will reduce file size.

Edit: Found it

Telemetry is vital in spotting issues with such a system, for example, telemetry showed that the city database jumped in size by a gigabyte overnight. It turned out the cause was 1.6MB of trash bags - that's not a particularly large asset - but the trash bags happened to be included in 600 city blocks," explains Mark Cerny. "The Insomniac rule is that any asset used more than four hundred times is resident in RAM, so the trash bags were moved there, though clearly there's a limit to how many assets can reside in RAM."

It's another example of how the SSD could prove transformative to next-gen titles. The install size of a game will be more optimal because duplication isn't needed; those trash bags only need to exist once on the SSD - not hundreds or thousands of times - and would never need to be resident in RAM. They will load with latency and transfer speeds that are a couple of orders of magnitude faster, meaning a 'just in time' approach to data delivery with less caching.
www.eurogamer.net

PlayStation 5 uncovered: the Mark Cerny tech deep dive

On March 18th, Sony finally broke cover with in-depth information on the technical make-up of PlayStation 5. Expanding …

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
They reduced Spider-man PS4 from 75gb to a Remastered version with higher quality textures and assets at 50gb. So game sizes will be a bit smaller with more storage than we had at the PS4 launch at least.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Aren't game sizes supposed to be a bit reduced due to the SSD speed? Current games need to store things like texture assets multiple times because the HDD speed is so slow they have to repeat data in various places so it able to access it fast enough.

I'm sure I can remember Cerny or someone talking about it and used an example from Spiderman saying like the textures for post boxes had to be saved over 400 times in the files so that the HDD would be able to access it fast enough from anywhere when it needed it and with the PS5 SSD this kind of repeated data will not be needed so will reduce file size.

Edit: Found it

www.eurogamer.net

PlayStation 5 uncovered: the Mark Cerny tech deep dive

On March 18th, Sony finally broke cover with in-depth information on the technical make-up of PlayStation 5. Expanding …

Size is reduced relatively, they only have to store assets once instead of many times but the assets themselves are of higher quality.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll happily do what I've been doing for PS3 and current gen: delete what I've finished; keep what I love and smaller games. When that causes storage to fill up, I'll delete the larger stuff from what remains, and download it again if I ever want to play it. I may also but a external HDD. Limited storage isn't an issue for me. (Even if the option for external storage did not exist.)

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Drastically depends on the games. I just checked my Steam library and about half of the games I currently have installed are under 1GB. Maybe 20% of my games are in the 10-25GB range (none higher) and the rest are in the 1-9.99GB range.

Top Cat

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Have they talked about how updating works for PS5? Will it use the copying system like the PS4? - That would also mean having to reserve drive space equal in size to your largest game if you wanted hassle free updates (unless I've misunderstood how the PS4 system works)