• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Any tips from Surge community for newbies? Lynx or Rhino gear? Also found first miniboss who just flattens me in one shot.

Also should I venture into the dark power generator area in basement or should I come back later?

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Heavy weapons are op. they break the enemy poise, while lighter weapons won't, so you won't be able to combo the mobs mindlessly.
Cut limbs with parts/armor to get more craft stuff.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Im kinda where you are op so I would like to know as well. I choose Lynx because speed>strength but I want to find light weapons already because big slow weapons feel not great to use with the lack of animation canceling.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Im kinda where you are op so I would like to know as well. I choose Lynx because speed>strength but I want to find light weapons already because big slow weapons feel not great to use with the lack of animation canceling.
How far did you get? I still have only one arm melee weapons from the start area.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Im really annoyed they put this for free on ps+ but didnt discount the DLC at all

I wanna play with the DLC so I'll have to wait I guess

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Single Rigged weapons were my preference. Not as slow as the heavy duty weapons, and still hard to interrupt and capable of staggering enemies. Lunge attack for the move set has huge range and the running slide would home in on whatever you have targeted which was great for enemies with weak points at their backs. The only thing they suck at is targeting limbs for successful cuts.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Remember if you want any weapon an enemy has you need to target the arm that has it to get it. But im really not far at all, the farthest ive got is the dark underground section where I need a security something to pass.
Yea I got to that part but you need a body gear which you need to light up the dark area - so I turned back to go hunt for one. But there's a miniboss blocking the other way who pretty much one shots me.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Yea I got to that part but you need a body gear which you need to light up the dark area - so I turned back to go hunt for one. But there's a miniboss blocking the other way who pretty much one shots me.
You can get a body gear schematic from any enemy wearing one. Just target the chest.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
LYNX is fine. I got SCARAB in the second area and stuck with that for the majority of the game. I used one-handed weapons and found them fine, just pick what you like the most. The dark area isn't particularly tough but there is a poison hallway (optional) which you can either do a kamikaze run to get the item down there or wait until later.

For general combat, it is good to keep in mind that targeting unarmoured parts of the enemy will stagger them very easily while armoured parts are very stagger resistant. It can be a good idea to start with unarmoured then switch to whatever limb you want to cut when you have enough energy or they are weak enough. If they die too quick then alternate. Doing a dodge attack into an enemy and then dodging back is a really good and safe tactic as well.

There are places in the first area you won't be able to access until you backtrack later so don't get too hung up on locked doors or whatever. Keep your eye out for shortcuts back to OPS though, they are pretty generous with them throughout the game.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
if the miniboss is the big construction mech looking guy he's optional and you can avoid him until later on.
Also the single rigged dash attack is one of the best in the game in my opinion. Sprint, attack once, then jump backwards. Repeat until you can sever the limb.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
A little over halfway through the game you will finally find a mod for turning energy into health. With the excess capped energy you generate from attacks, you will find yourself with a ton more survivability than before as you can heal mid attack combo without having to commit to your limited health packs. Combo this with twin blades quick patterns and speccing for energy generation mean you will be drowning in energy to use your attack up/def boosters on top of healing as well. It saved my playthrough honestly

Oct 26, 2017
If I remember right I used the lighter armour types and I gravitated towards the staff and single handed blade type weapons.
There's a definite flow to the combat that feels genuinely satisfying once it clicks, the game isn't amazing but it's genuinely solid and I was really happy to hear they were working on a sequel.
I recall the Digital Foundry guys being impressed with it's engine as well.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Heavy all the way. Dash attacks are awesome. Blocking is seldom worth your time.

You might consider a missable guide as some boss weapons and early game goodies are worth your time.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just about every area has a few hidden enemies carrying armor from a level above the current area's. I'd suggest finding the way to beat them, making sure to cut off their parts from time to time. This way, you can go into the next area (or beat the current boss) with a substantially better gear than what you'd have. Oh, and absolutely use the mod that pings the hidden stuff: you find some excellent gear and mods this way that makes your life a lot easier. I'm not big on Soulslike games, but I managed to beat The Surge without ever getting blocked for too long by playing it smart. The last boss of the game only took me a couple tries as I was very powerful by then.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
get the space suit set and look like a boss

now i have an urge to surge...

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm currently in the 2nd level and it's kind of destroying me at the moment! I thought after completing the first map this would be a cakewalk but it's been quite the opposite lol. Am really enjoying it though, the controls are snappy and I love the dismemberment mechanic. Overall it's been super easy to get into as well which is a nice change of pace compared to the From games.

I started on PS+ but bought it on PC instead (it was like 5eu) so I can continue playing after my sub expires in May.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
Im really annoyed they put this for free on ps+ but didnt discount the DLC at all

I wanna play with the DLC so I'll have to wait I guess

They discounted the DLC in EU. I bought the themepark dlc for 6€ or something.
I had the game for a year and it plays fine, but was waiting for discount dlc, because the locations are all similar. The dlc looks like it mixes this up a bit.
So will be playing this after i finished Sekiro

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Lynx or Rhino choice at the start has no long-term impact. You'll quickly get access to the armor you didn't choose.

Don't be shy about upgrading equipment you like. Only the very last tier of upgrade materials is limited from what I remember.

I beat the game with Lynx armor and a one-handed sword so that's totally viable, though neat to hear from others that the other weapon types are good.

The mods add a ton of variability to the game when you unlock some more types and start to build up you mod capacity. I focused on energy generation, converting energy to health, and then later the attack speed upgrades. I breezed through the second half of the game or so on that until I hit the last level that introduces some tricky enemies.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
That first robot boss fight was way too weird and frustrating for me, it wasn't really clear what I was suppose to do, coudn't figure out the patterns or safe zones and then I died. It had a weird camera angle as well, fantastic game though.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
That mech boss made me quit already. I don't have time to waste with poorly designed boss that somehow require you to perfectly dodge after less than one hour into the game. Seems like it's optional though? Might have to try again if that's the case.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That mech boss made me quit already. I don't have time to waste with poorly designed boss that somehow require you to perfectly dodge after less than one hour into the game. Seems like it's optional though? Might have to try again if that's the case.
I feel like the health/damage ratio made it pretty clear it was optional lol

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Just wrapped up the Platinum a month or two ago, so it's all pretty fresh still. Despite really wanting to rock one-handed and staves, single-rigged turned out to be the best way to go, IMO. Specifically the kind with high Impact. Stagger for days, and that sliding dash attack!

Blocking is fairly useless early on, but those early enemies have simple attack patterns that are easy to exploit. Late game enemies, and once you've got an implant that converts blocks to energy? Blocks can really save your ass later on.

I found choice in armor to be probably the least important decision. Run with whatever floats your boat. I used Lynx for the attack speed bonus for most of the run, switching over to some DLC sets in the late game. Barely felt the change. Weapon and implants are SOOOOOO much more important. Once you start getting them, consider armor sets that boost Impact even more. Then your single-rigged weapons will basically act like heavies.

And on that note, both story DLCs have some good gear to get. The Good, The Bad, and The Augmented, in particular, have utterly game-breaking implants. You'll need to massively power-level to equip them, though.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
That implant (well a Mk. 1) can be found in the very first level.
Yeah, and it's really useful - especially combined with the one that slows down energy drain.

I started playing this yesterday, put a few hours and I must say I'm enjoying the fast pace of this game quite a lot. Certainly, so far, it's a massive improvement from "Lords of the Fallen" (deck13's previous game).

I'm especially liking the almost instant reload when you die.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm struggling with even the first area after the med bay with the 4 basic enemies... Not sure how to consistently get decent hits on them. Locking onto weak points with the right stick only seems to work half the time. I must be doing something wrong, but not sure what really.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I'm struggling with even the first area after the med bay with the 4 basic enemies... Not sure how to consistently get decent hits on them. Locking onto weak points with the right stick only seems to work half the time. I must be doing something wrong, but not sure what really.

You're probably going to struggle at first, and that's OK. Target the "weak" areas (the ones that glow blue when locking on). Also, pick a weapon or two and try and focus heavily on that as your mastery with them will be a big deal as you progress.

I did a lot of poking. It's a slow and steady approach, but it works. When there are multiple enemies, it's pretty much target the weak point and do quick dash in -> poke -> dash out. You CAN play it more like Bloodborn if you want, but I took the Dark Souls approach of "slow and methodical".

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found the weapon dropped from the first boss was really easy for stunning enemies, especially some of the more agile robots. It's a good early game, new player weapon. I eventually settled on the sword and a more agile build. Running, sliding and chopping off limbs is fun.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I found the weapon dropped from the first boss was really easy for stunning enemies, especially some of the more agile robots. It's a good early game, new player weapon. I eventually settled on the sword and a more agile build. Running, sliding and chopping off limbs is fun.

Did you get the 2.0 version for completing the "special" boss requirements? Each boss has a special 2.0 version that is stronger and better than the OG drop.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
The second boss' v2.0 weapon was my favorite for the first playthrough of the game. It's a twin-rigged weapon, very fast. Didn't enjoy the slow heavy weapons as much, as powerful as they are. Also, Lynx gear for the entirety of the game is not a bad choice if you enjoy being fast and agile like me.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
All builds and weapons are viable, I mainly using 2.0 weapons that drop from bosses. I went for speed for the majority of the game, spitfire rod and firebug twin rig were my weapon of choice. The PAX is cool too if you like slow weapon,I mainly used it for trash.

But yeah definitely look up boss requirements for 2.0 weapon drops.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I can't beat the boss of the second area! This spinning type machine which descends from the ceiling.

I've explored for hours and I've upgraded a lot. I'm using the chain saw looking weapon, it's middle of the road compared to the others.

Jan 26, 2019
England
You can duck and jump in place by holding guard button and moving the right stick up or down, has some niche use vs some enemies and it's something that the game doesn't really make obvious.

On my playthrough I mostly stuck to single-rigged and heavy duty weapons, sometimes a one hander for bosses. The first DLC was really cool, especially how it
acknowledged if you beat its final boss in the Iron Maus set, giving the hardcore kill reward and achievement
. The first DLC is definitely worth getting discounted or no, I didn't play the 2nd one though.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
This sisters boss is a lot of bullshit, any tips to deal with the 6 arms section without taking hits?

I'm quite enjoying the game but the bosses are pretty poor.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
yo the camera on the third boss is the worst

like it has a goddamn mind of its own. it can't fucking handle having all these targets that surround you. and because i've played all the souls games, i try not locking on. this shit still feels unmanageable!

yeah, i'm having an okay time going around levels and fighting most of the normal enemies, but wow are these bosses just bad. haven't had a single one feel fun to fight at all.

edit: of course, the next attempt i make after this post had me beating it rather quickly. still didn't really enjoy it. just felt like a mess. sekiro has spoiled me with boss battles looking and feeling cool while still being read-able.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This sisters boss is a lot of bullshit, any tips to deal with the 6 arms section without taking hits?

I'm quite enjoying the game but the bosses are pretty poor.
If you don't care about the hard mode boss kill you can just kill the arms. I did it with all the arms alive by staying right up under the boss itself. Was a bit finnicky hitting it and figuring out what moves you had to dodge.