• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
So this game feels like it was announced forever ago. I think I was walking back from college when we got the first promo images, since then i've finished college, had 3 jobs, switched professions, and started college all over again. We've also had things like Granblue Fantasy and Project Awakening come and pass.

And yet here we are with pretty much silence. I get that it's Atlus, but it's still pretty weird.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
It's not weird at all. This is how Atlus treats all of their games. The same exact thing happened with TMS#FE, Persona 5, and SMT 5. This is how Atlus has always operated. This is how they will continue to operate.

You will not hear anything about this game until Shin Megami Tensei 5 launches. And you will not hear anything more about SMT5 until the Nocturne Remaster launches.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
IIRC that announcement was a recruitment call similiar to CDPR with 2077.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Project Awakening came and passed? Where? Also Granblue Fantasy Versus came out, but ReLink is still TBA.

And RE:Fantasy got announced via no footage and them asking if people wanted to help them make it. It was announced at the hiring stage. Add Atlus's usual HD era dev cycle on top of that, and it's going to be quite the wait for it.

The real problem is that Atlus announces their big games way too early. We shouldn't have heard about any of their games until actual footage was available.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Project Re Fantasy's announcement was mainly to promote the creation of the new Atlus studio at the time, Studio Zero. It was a recruitment drive. The game barely existed when they first announced it, basically just an idea. That studio went on to make Catherine: Full Body all while working on Re Fantasy in the background.

We'll see it again, soon enough.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah to echo what others have already said they basically announced it before they really started working on it.

OP
OP
Onix555

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Project Awakening came and passed? Where? Also Granblue Fantasy Versus came out, but ReLink is still TBA.

And RE:Fantasy got announced via no footage and them asking if people wanted to help them make it. It was announced at the hiring stage. Add Atlus's usual HD era dev cycle on top of that, and it's going to be quite the wait for it.

The real problem is that Atlus announces their big games way too early. We shouldn't have heard about any of their games until actual footage was available.
Well, Project Awakening came... and then passed away
Screen-Shot-2019-07-05-at-12.20.52-PM.png

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
The same thing that happened to Cyberpunk 2077, SMT V and Bayonetta 3: it was announced when they started development and not when they were about to finish it.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It hasn't been that long. Games take time.

Add the next Etrian Odyssey to the list because that's been announced for over 2 years.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It was announced almost 4 years ago at the pre-production stage. That's not an excessive amount of time for a big game. I'm guessing we would have gotten a proper trailer for the game this year, but Covid-19 threw all of Atlus' plans in disarray. I'm guessing it'll be a late 2021 or early 2022 release.

Also, anyone who has been a fan of Atlus for a while should be used to this by now. Persona 5's development was crazy long & was announced long before it actually came out.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It's an Atlus HD console RPG.

It's also a new IP which likely will always have somewhat less priority than getting the established ones out in current system.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
They did say they'd have more to share this year. But then there is that whole global pandemic so plans may of changed.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're probably taking their time coming up with new homophobic/transphobic material to shove into the game.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
IIRC that announcement was a recruitment call similiar to CDPR with 2077.
Project Re Fantasy's announcement was mainly to promote the creation of the new Atlus studio at the time, Studio Zero. It was a recruitment drive. The game barely existed when they first announced it, basically just an idea. That studio went on to make Catherine: Full Body all while working on Re Fantasy in the background.

We'll see it again, soon enough.
This.

I'm expecting something to hear next year tbh.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's just how HD Atlus rolls.

P5: first announced (accidentally, lol) in 2009, released in 2016/2017
TMS#FE: first announced in 2013, released in 2015/2016
PRF: first announced in 2016...
SMTV: first announced in 2017, released in 2021 (crosses fingers)
EO next: first announced in 2018...

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It's just how HD Atlus rolls.

P5: first announced (accidentally, lol) in 2009, released in 2016/2017
TMS#FE: first announced in 2013, released in 2015/2016
PRF: first announced in 2016...
SMTV: first announced in 2017, released in 2021 (crosses fingers)
EO next: first announced in 2018...
It seems next year is for SMT3 remastered right? I don't know if anything else will come from them until 2022.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This was the last major update:

The November 2019 issue of Game Informer features an interview with Shigenori Soejima, the character designer for the Persona series as well as the upcoming Project Re Fantasy from Atlus' Studio Zero, who briefly touches upon the latter when asked about his designs on the project.

"[Project Re Fantasy] is completely different from what I've worked on [previously]," Soejima said. "I've always loved fantasy, but once I started working on it, it became, 'Well, what exactly is fantasy and how can we bring a meaningful fantasy game into this world? What can we bring to this sort of genre and game?' And so there's a lot of trial and error and thinking about this whole genre and how to [create] the design."

Soejima continued, "I feel like we are finally at a place where we have a direction and are moving forward with it. Hopefully, we'll have something to show everyone in the not so distant future. We're creating something only we can bring to the table—a very unique design. [It's] something for fans to look forward to."

In December 2018 interviews with publications such as 4Gamer.net and Famitsu, Atlus Studio Zero creative producer and game director Katsura Hashino teased a potential official announcement for Project Re Fantasy in 2019. Hashino has also said that the studio would gradually share more information on the title after the release of Catherine: Full Body this past February 14 in Japan.

www.gematsu.com

PROJECT Re FANTASY character designer: “I feel like we are finally at a place where we have a direction and are moving forward with it”

The November 2019 issue of Game Informer features an interview with Shigenori Soejima, the character designer for the Persona series as well as the upcoming PROJECT Re FANTASY from Atlus’ Stu…

So Hashino hasn't shared more info like he said he would, so I'm guessing it will be after the deluge of SMT we are getting for the next year (or at least after SMT3 HD is out).