• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
🤩 Content Warning: Mental Illness and Suicide 🤩

Hi, Era. I didn't see a thread for this and figured I'd make it. This is my very first one, though, so please be patient with me and anything I've missed. 🙏

So here it is. Some of you might be aware of May being Mental Health Awareness Month, which may beg the question of why we need this second occasion (on top of MHA Weeks in May and October, PLUS a dedicated day in October). I thought I'd make a thread about it. The simple answer is that the conversation is quieter around minorities, and that honestly doesn't explain much.

19.1% of U.S. adults experienced mental illness in 2018 (47.6 million people). This represents 1 in 5 adults.
4.6% of U.S. adults experienced serious mental illness in 2018 (11.4 million people). This represents 1 in 25 adults.
16.5% of U.S. youth aged 6-17 experienced a mental health disorder in 2016 (7.7 million people)
3.7% of U.S. adults experienced a co-occurring substance use disorder and mental illness in 2018 (9.2 million people)

Annual prevalence of mental illness among U.S. adults, by demographic group:
Non-Hispanic Asian: 14.7%
Non-Hispanic white: 20.4%
Non-Hispanic black or African-American: 16.2%
Non-Hispanic American Indian or Alaska Native: 22.1%
Non-Hispanic mixed/multiracial: 26.8%
Hispanic or Latino: 16.9%
Lesbian, Gay or Bisexual: 37.4%
Minorities are just as likely, if not more likely, to have a mental health problems, so why? Below is a good primer.

If you prefer visual bullet points to reading, here are some fun (sad) infographics!

NAMI-Multicultural-Infog.jpg
Source
Of particular note is the fact that LGBT+ youth are two to three times as likely to 1. have a mental health issue and 2. attempt suicide. This graphic is a little outdated, but a lot of the other information remains pertinent, I think.

Source
As per this infographic, I'd like to point out more:
Same deal on datedness as above, but about 1 in 3 people identifies as a minority. One in three, y'all.
LGBT+ people are at greater risk of substance abuse disorders, and they're even less likely to receive/finish treatment if they're also racial/ethnic minorities.

Basically, it sucks. While the conversation is getting more open over time, there is still a lot of ground to cover, particularly as it deals with minorities. On top of the typical stigma, there are culturally-specific attitudes to deal with, e.g. "It's nothing a lot of love can't fix!" or "We're [insert race]: we don't have that—it's a white people thing!" or it's a weakness that needs to be hidden. That isn't to say that these issues are purely matters of race, of course, as some of them are shared across race, ethnicity, religion, and gender/sexuality.

Not to mention discrimination and prejudice.

Anyway, there are numerous ways to combat these issues. The most obvious is also, perhaps, the most important: talk about it. The other major one, in my opinion, is learning about mental health issues, confessions, and crisis response. Let's put a pin on this one.* Some others are simply minding your language around the subject, encouraging screenings/tests, and donating time or money if you're able.

If you're interested in learning even more about why intersectional psychology is important, here are some good places to start. These are chiefly referring to minority experiences in the U.S., mind you.

As for seeking assistance on Era, we happen to have a couple of compilations of resources! These have been put together chiefly by Ms. Ketkat and Ms. Pau, and with COVID-19 still having a devastating effect on peoples' mental health, I feel they're more than worth a quote.

Resources
(If you have any you would like to see here, please let me know)

Anxiety - The family of anxiety disorders include generalised anxiety disorder, panic disorder and agoraphobia, social anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is the most common and is characterised by persistent, excessive worrying about everyday events and activities which the person finds difficult to control.

https://adaa.org/tips

https://www.heysigmund.com/dealing-with-anxiety-anxious-mind-calm/
https://thiswayup.org.au/how-do-you-feel/worried/

Breathing Exercises - Breathing exercises are useful for when you feel anxiety or panic coming on strongly and need a method to calm down. They are most useful when used in conjunction with other coping mechanisms, but taking the time to breathe can really help.

http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/455888/26924003/1458405625530/3+anxiety+breathing+techniques.jpg?token=0h4JvINrRaiDTyQ3OJhUp/d5Fy8=

https://cdn.doyouyoga.com/wp/2016/12/giphy.gif

Depression - Depression is a disorder that is evidenced by excessive sadness, loss of interest in enjoyable things, and low motivation.

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/depression/coping-with-depression.htm

https://thiswayup.org.au/how-do-you-feel/sad/

Mindfulness - Mindfulness is about paying attention in a particular way – on purpose, in the present moment and without judgment with the goal of helping you focus and create a space between our feelings and the actions we use to respond to them.

https://positivepsychologyprogram.com/benefits-of-mindfulness/

https://positivepsychologyprogram.com/mindfulness-exercises-techniques-activities/

Negative Thoughts - Negative thinking is a thought process where people tend to find the worst in everything, or reduce their expectations by considering the worst possible scenarios. This approach can allay disappointment in some situations; but, negative thinking tends to manifest into a pattern that can cause tremendous stress, worry, or sadness over time

https://www.klearminds.com/blog/cognitive-distortions-thinking-errors-can-cbt-help/

http://www.cognitivetherapyguide.org/negative-thinking-patterns.htm
http://www.cognitivetherapyguide.org/thought-review-thought-record.htm

Self Esteem/Self-Worth - Self-esteem is used to describe a person's overall sense of self-worth or personal value. In other words, how much you appreciate and like yourself.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/self-esteem/art-20045374

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/raising-low-self-esteem/

Therapists

(USA)

www.Openpathcollective.org ($49 one time fee, $30 - $50 per session)

www.psychologytoday.com

Podcasts

Hilarious World of Depression (https://www.apmpodcasts.org/thwod/)

A show about clinical depression...with laughs? Well, yeah. Depression is an incredibly common and isolating disease experienced by millions, yet often stigmatized by society. The Hilarious World of Depression is a series of frank, moving, and, yes, funny conversations with top comedians who have dealt with this disease, hosted by veteran humorist and public radio host John Moe. Join guests such as Maria Bamford, Paul F. Tompkins, Andy Richter, and Jen Kirkman to learn how they've dealt with depression and managed to laugh along the way. If you have not met the disease personally, it's almost certain that someone you know has, whether it's a friend, family member, colleague, or neighbor. Depression is a vicious cycle of solitude and stigma that leaves people miserable and sometimes dead. Frankly, we're not going to put up with that anymore. The Hilarious World of Depression is not medical treatment and should not be seen as a substitute for therapy or medication. But it is a chance to gain some insight, have a few laughs, and realize that people with depression are not alone and that together, we can all feel a bit better.

The Mental Health Happy Hour (https://mentalpod.com/)

The Mental Illness Happy Hour is a weekly online podcast that interviews comedians, artists, friends, and the occasional doctor. Each episode explores mental illness, trauma, addiction and negative thinking.

My Three Shrinks (http://mythreeshrinks.com/)

My Three Shrinks is a podcast by three psychiatrists, each with a different perspective.

Dinah is a private practice psychiatrist who does psychotherapy.

ClinkShrink is a forensic psychiatrist who practices in a correctional setting.

Roy is a consultation-liaison psychiatrist who practices in a general hospital doing consults on medically-admitted patients and also in the emergency department.

The podcast comes out as often as we can do them, which is usually somewhere between weekly and monthly. We do try to have specific topics, but are pretty free-wheeling, even rambling, as we discuss topics related to psychiatry, medicine, health care, practice issues, ethics, weather, bad hair, ducks, etc. We tend to be on the sarcastic and humorous side, and we spout bad puns for sport.

Apps

Calm

Calm is an app that is designed for helping guide the user through mindfulness, meditation, as well as containing breathing exercises and stories to help you feel asleep.

Calm Harm
Calm Harm is an award-winning app developed for teenage mental health charity stem4 by Dr Nihara Krause, Consultant Clinical Psychologist, using the basic principles of an evidence-based therapy called Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT).

Calm Harm provides tasks to help you resist or manage the urge to self-harm. You can make it private by setting a password, and personalise the app if you so wish. You will be able to track your progress and notice change.

Please note the app is an aid in treatment but does not replace it.

Headspace
Headspace is an app dedicated to guiding you through meditation and practicing mindfulness to help you train your ability to be present and engage in the here and now.

Books

10% Happier by Dan Harris
After having a nationally televised panic attack, Dan Harris knew he had to make some changes. A lifelong nonbeliever, he found himself on a bizarre adventure involving a disgraced pastor, a mysterious self-help guru, and a gaggle of brain scientists. Eventually, Harris realized that the source of his problems was the very thing he always thought was his greatest asset: the incessant, insatiable voice in his head, which had propelled him through the ranks of a hypercompetitive business, but had also led him to make the profoundly stupid decisions that provoked his on-air freak-out.

Eventually Harris stumbled upon an effective way to rein in that voice, something he always assumed to be either impossible or useless: meditation, a tool that research suggests can do everything from lower your blood pressure to essentially rewire your brain. 10% Happier takes readers on a ride from the outer reaches of neuroscience to the inner sanctum of network news to the bizarre fringes of America's spiritual scene, and leaves them with a takeaway that could actually change their lives.

Anxiety as an Ally by Dan Ryckert
After experiencing his first panic attack on New Year's Day of 2003, Dan Ryckert began a 12-year process of learning how to channel panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder until they became driving forces in his life. Using anxiety as his ally, he was able to land dream jobs within the video game industry and vastly improve the quality of his personal life.

Hotlines

If you or someone you know is struggling with suicidal ideation or self-harm, then please call one of the hotlines listed below. These are trained professionals that can help you find local resources as well as get you the help that you need.

US National Suicide Hotlines: 1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433) or 1-800-273-TALK (8255)

Hotlines by state

Canada http://ospn.ca/

and the Mental Health Helpline - http://www.mentalhealthhelpline.ca/

https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-medical-advice-telehealth-ontario

1-866-797-0000

UK Samaritans Charity 08457 90 90 90*

Northern Ireland Lifeline: 0808 808 8000

Australia LifeLine 13 11 14

New Zealand Crisis Contacts

Crisis centers by country.

The Trevor Project 866 488 7386

"providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth"

Veterans Crisis Line 1-800-273-8255 PRESS 1

"I still see my hands coming off the railing," he said. As he crossed the chord in flight, Baldwin recalls, "I instantly realized that everything in my life that I'd thought was unfixable was totally fixable—except for having just jumped."

Places to find help

US

NAMI

UK

SANE

EU

EUFAMI

www.resetera.com

COVID-19 Mental Health Resources and Discussion COVID

We know there are a plethora of threads about COVID-19 already, but we’d like to provide a space specifically for mental health resources and discussion during this time. We’d like to remind our community to be mindful that everyone reacts differently to stressful situations, and that the...

It also goes without saying that we have a Mental Health OT if people want to discuss or vent about things elsewhere. See here.
Here's a bit more about warning signs irrespective of minority status.

I'm not going to throw a bunch of articles explaining mental illness at you here (though if you want to know more about what causes them, here you go!). I will, however, return to that pinned point (*) and share some articles and anecdotes I feel are helpful for those interested in learning how to communicate about mental health problems and concerns, whether or not it's with someone who lives with an illness. It's rather simple...but also not.

How Not to Talk to People about Mental Illness

From Those with Mental Illnesses
www.healthline.com

8 Ways Kids Get a Mental Health Boost from Playing Outside

Just a few hours outside can have a major impact for kids and teens.
www.sane.org

What not to say to someone with a complex mental health issue.

It's a sad reality that people living with a complex mental health issue will hear inappropriate comments, sometimes at a time when they are struggling.A glib, flippant or offhand comment – whether born of ignorance, awkwardness, or arrogance – can cut to the bone and leave people questioning...
From Professional Sources
www.thehealthy.com

14 Things to Never Say to Someone with Depression

Even if you have the best of intentions, offering these tidbits of advice to people with depression may hurt more than it helps.
www.encounter.health

What Not to Say to Someone With a Mental Illness - Encounter Telehealth

Living with a mental illness is difficult. It's important to be supportive of a friend who is struggling and not make things harder on them.
White Swan Foundation

And now for something different: What TO Say
themighty.com

9 Ways to Support People With Mental Illness — That Aren't Just Reposting the Suicide Hotline

"As someone who struggles with daily suicidal ideation, I cannot say I ever felt supported because a Facebook friend reposted a prewritten status."

10 things to say to someone with a mental health problem

Recently I’ve come across a number of articles/blog posts about what not to say to a friend/loved one with certain mental health problems. Whilst these are useful, as it’s hard to know what comments could affect others more than you, constantly hearing ‘don’t say this’ and ‘don’t say that’ can...
www.psychologytoday.com

Ten Commandments for How to Talk About Mental Health

Focus on the person, not their illness.
www.nami.org

What to Do When You Say the Wrong Thing to Someone with Mental Illness

When you say something insensitive or harmful to someone with mental illness, it’s important to recognize it, apologize and educate yourself.
www.mentalhealth.org.uk

How to support someone with a mental health problem

We all go through tough times and people help us through them. Other times we have been worried about other people’s mental health.

Source (mainly about suicide but also applies to mental distress in general). Please DON'T click on this or the Helpguide link below if you think it'll be a trigger.

Yes, I realize a lot of these are repetitive. I'd also like to point out that some things are more bothersome than others for some; these are general guidelines. If you aren't sure if someone will respond well to something, it's okay to ask. :)

For more information, here are a few more resources.
www.mhanational.org

Mental Health America | Homepage

Mental Health America is the nation's leading national nonprofit dedicated to the promotion of mental health, well-being, and illness prevention.

Home | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness

NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.
beyondblue.org.au

Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue provides information and support to help everyone in Australia achieve their best possible mental health.

Here is a primer on suicide prevention for anyone who thinks it may be helpful.

A lot of this information is general, but I think one point more or less remains the same across different sociocultural groups: we ought to be more cognizant of the challenges coming between people and better health, as well as how one's life and background can have an effect on how they seek help and receive it, assuming they can. This isn't to exclude cishet white people from the conversation, but rather to remind everyone that people's needs differ across social strata—and when you aren't a cishet white person, it's often more difficult to seek and receive help. Relatively speaking, of course.
This is especially pertinent given all the violent racism, vile oppression of black people, and continued domination of institutional systems that tell minorities their health isn't that important, if it acknowledges their health at all. We're living in a world – the U.S. to no small degree, but the globe in general – that actively preys on minorities for reasons that have no basis in reality and/or are way out of their control. There's never been a better time to listen and get the word out to others, so how about give minority mental health more of the recognition and attention it deserves?
One thing nonetheless remains true regardless of where you "belong" in the sociocultural sense: mental illness does not care who you are. To paraphrase one Miyah Byrd, mental illness is equal opportunity: it does not discriminate.

w3hUyFC.gif

Anyway, my hope is that this will be a safe space for discussion. Please feel free to add anything I missed!
And, in case this wasn't clear, yes, you are welcome to ask. Yes, you are welcome to participate if you aren't a minority. If you're comfortable sharing your experiences (please be aware that this site has...a lot of eyes on it), this is your stop! 💜

Black Lives Matter.

Last but not least,

96378828_1871834606286702_7157707992584945664_n.png

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, 1 in 5 is tough. Didn't know that. Thanks for spreading awareness, great info, and good vibes!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The stigma around mental health is absolutely awful and really in an ideal world going to a therapist should be like going to any other doctor, where it's normal for everyone to have regular checkups to make sure everything's good and then people who are suffering from bigger issues go more regularly without being judged or shunned for it. And of course, it should fall under health insurance as much any physical condition, which should obviously be universal so that everyone is covered, especially the most vulnerable communities who are probably more susceptible to many kinds of mental health issues due to the fact that their general living situation is not as good which creates a shit load of stress that more well off people won't have to deal with

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The stigma around mental health is absolutely awful and really in an ideal world going to a therapist should be like going to any other doctor, where it's normal for everyone to have regular checkups to make sure everything's good and then people who are suffering from bigger issues go more regularly without being judged or shunned for it. And of course, it should fall under health insurance as much any physical condition, which should obviously be universal so that everyone is covered, especially the most vulnerable communities who are probably more susceptible to many kinds of mental health issues due to the fact that their general living situation is not as good which creates a shit load of stress that more well off people won't have to deal with
Even sadder still, even if it didn't have a stigma, a lot of cities and towns in this country lack adequate mental healthcare facilities and resources. Like I used to live in a city in Oregon that outsourced therapists. So you'd sit down and have a virtual conversation with your therapist in another state.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even sadder still, even if it didn't have a stigma, a lot of cities and towns in this country lack adequate mental healthcare facilities and resources. Like I used to live in a city in Oregon that outsourced therapists. So you'd sit down and have a virtual conversation with your therapist in another state.
Oh absolutely. Thankfully I think the emergence of video conferencing software and the like can help ease this type of burden for many conditions since unlike physical health many conditions can be handled remotely nowadays, but obviously this isn't always sufficient (plus it ignores the wide stretches of the country that don't have adequate internet service either) and there are still situations where in person would be more useful.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If someone can point me in the direction of free therapy and I don't have to sign and fill out a bunch of documents or apply to anything. That would be greeeat

OP
OP
Wandering Robot
Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
While video streaming definitely makes assistance more accessible for many, there are other concerns beyond the Internet factor. What immediately comes to mind is that it's often just as expensive/unfeasible financially, which I take would be partially why in-person assistance wasn't a good option in the first place. It could also be more difficult to do it privately, which obviously is a smaller concern when you're in a professional's office as opposed to, say, living with children or parents or what have you.

Damn, 1 in 5 is tough. Didn't know that. Thanks for spreading awareness, great info, and good vibes!
Thank you. :)

If someone can point me in the direction of free therapy and I don't have to sign and fill out a bunch of documents or apply to anything. That would be greeeat
Hi there. Off the top of my head, I know a few potential options.
One is to look out for community centers and universities that offer sliding scale (there's a place near me that does it as low as $15), which I know is not free, but I suppose it's an option. You can also ask any potential therapists if they have pro bono slots. I've read a lot of them do this, but I can't actually back it up, so take it with a grain of salt. Problem is a lot of these will still require you to "sign up," so I'll leave that to your preferences.
If you're down with support groups, a lot of those can be free without requiring much in the way of signing up. You can also look at Give an Hour if you have the criteria (military, trauma)—again, no personal experience.
If you're religious, a lot of religious authority figures will do it freely.
If you're fine with trained listeners, as opposed to medical professionals, there are places like 7 Cups of Tea that are free to use.

Much as I'd love to have free therapy with no sign-ups or paper trails required be freely available, I'm not sure it's a hot commodity. :(

Last edited:

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Thank you for this! My gf is Native Hawaiian and has struggled with mental health issues at times. I became aware of the lack of mental health services for Native Hawaiians in Hawaiian and it's incredibly heartbreaking. I hope we can get rid of the stigma altogether and start investing into all minority communities.

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Considering what era is currently dealing with your absolutely right. I feel like shit but I'm keeping on for better or for worse.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know this was a thing

Dealing with mental health on top of racism and general health is pretty difficult so it's important to reach out to your friends and family every so often. You don't need to become an armchair therapist, just check in on them from time to time. It's nice to know that you're in someone's thoughts.

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread. I've been looking for a new therapist for awhile and since lockdown it's been even harder. Has any one here used open path before. I don't really want to give $60 to something that I may not need or use.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I am thankful to be able to have my therapy covered by the VA, and later this month, I will be getting committed for a while , my mental health has been very bad lately, I've been cutting my legs lately.

OP
OP
Wandering Robot
Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
Thank you, everyone. Nice to see it pinned, too. :)
Great thread! Need a hug!
Would you like one? I was going to post a dumb gif but, as I didn't find any I thought were very good, have decided to tell you I'm sending you a virtual one instead. Whatever is going on, I hope you're doing better soon.
Great thread. I've been looking for a new therapist for awhile and since lockdown it's been even harder. Has any one here used open path before. I don't really want to give $60 to something that I may not need or use.
What I've read is that you pay for access to their platform as well as pay for therapy sessions. Like $50 + $30-$60 per session. Psychology Today has a similar database (from what I understand) and lets you see who offers streaming sessions, though I don't think they're as transparent about price. That and it's just a searchable list as opposed to a platform. BetterHelp is similar to Open Path without a one-time entry free.
Oh Jesus I think I lost my health insurance due to covid no more free therapy sessions e.e
I'm sorry to hear that. :( I hope you're still able to access them and have a bunch of self-care techniques lined up to help.
I am thankful to be able to have my therapy covered by the VA, and later this month, I will be getting committed for a while , my mental health has been very bad lately, I've been cutting my legs lately.
I'm sorry to hear this, too. COVID-19 really has thrown the conversation, and the recovery, completely out of whack. It's just sad.
There's no shame in admitting yourself, of course—I just wish you come out better off than how you enter. I'm here to listen in the meantime. 💜

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

That would depend on where you live. Here in Spain there's a fantastic center in my city that offers kind and helpful professional help for absolutely free, and you don't even have to give your name, you're assigned a number for confidentiality. I have no clue if there's similar services in other countries, but as a starting point, we learned of its existence through a help hotline.

I think the biggest misconception (and one my SO and myself had too) is that you call these hotlines when you're at your absolutely lowest and thinking of suicide; but of course, that's when you're least likely to call them, and even if you do, they may not help you at all. They probably work best as a preemptive way to seek help when you're at least functional enough to do so, to improve your general situation and avoid or mitigate the worse moments.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Thank you for creating this thread I grew up in a small town in Norway and I wrote a thread her earlier were I just shared some thoughts I am also a mixed kid in a small town in Norway which has not been easy.

I buried my feeling of loneliness for years but a few months ago they just resurfaced and I was shaking and sweating and broke down crying and finally decided to talk somebody and I realized I have been lonely for five years hardly speaking to anyone.

But then I decided to call my half-sister and tell her what life has been for me (which was not easy) and her immediate response was you are flying down here now and staying with me in the summer, I am going tomorrow she had no idea I was struggeling so much as I had because I never said anything.

I went to a shrink in my town and the first one I did not get along with but another shrink a woman in her 40's who I immediatly clicked with, understood and actually showed empathy and she said if you are gonna live here you can't remain alone all the time and I will do my damndest to help you.

She said to go your half-sister and have a good time in the capitol and when you come back I wanna keep up the conversations with you I wanna help you she said and she meant it ....

I have not had anyone actually talk to like that in a while who I felt actually gave a damn.

AdamT

Oct 27, 2017
Providence, Rhode Island
Go to therapy if you have the means! Best choice I ever made.

There were issues I didn't even know I had that I've worked through now. Everything is much more manageable and I can prevent my brain from escalating better. Worth it.

I've been talking more openly with my coworker about mental health and I think he may go eventually to tackle some issues. His divorce hurt him more than he can see or like to admit.

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would you like one? I was going to post a dumb gif but, as I didn't find any I thought were very good, have decided to tell you I'm sending you a virtual one instead. Whatever is going on, I hope you're doing better soon.
Wonderful thread OP, thank you for making it!

giphy.gif
Thank you! Just trying to get through every day. :)
Go to therapy if you have the means! Best choice I ever made.

There were issues I didn't even know I had that I've worked through now. Everything is much more manageable and I can prevent my brain from escalating better. Worth it.

I've been talking more openly with my coworker about mental health and I think he may go eventually to tackle some issues. His divorce hurt him more than he can see or like to admit.
It's something I wanna do when I'm more financially secure. I turn 26 next year and will be knocked off my mom's health insurance, so I got to figure that out first.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I feel at home in this thread. I'm Hispanic LGBTQ, my life is full of tragedy like my father being incarcerated when I was little and my family fleeing Colombia during the 90s. And my mom being attacked by her coworkers because she was a woman and nearly killed (put in a coma). Things that happen to minorities. I'm writing a memoir about my life and just talking about it publicly here is making my throat jump. It triggered immense depression and anxiety growing up, which only multiplied when I had to "come out" in Texas and lose most of my friends and family because I love a man. Life is hard, and it's harder for those of us that suffer from mental health issues. I have to take 5 antidepressants and see a trauma therapist 2x a week just to function, let alone thrive in my PhD program.

I'm such an advocate for mental healthcare, I wish everyone had a therapist to learn from, and I wish more people were accepting to psychiatric medication. It saved my life

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you so much for the thread and for the kind shout out.

I looked through your link about Latinx and this stood out as it's something my mom said to me literally two days ago:
Many of us know el dicho "la ropa sucia se lava en casa" (similar to "don't air your dirty laundry in public"). The Latino community tends to be very private and often do not want to talk in public about challenges at home.

My family has had so many issues related to mental health and trauma, and those things just keep compounding. These past two weeks, it's all reached a boiling point. I've been trying so hard to encourage everyone get help and to get help myself. And in doing that, one of my mom's reactions was to tell me this fucking saying. I told her that I didn't agree with it at all. That it has been a way to cover up abuse and harm. That this way of thinking hasn't helped us or anyone: it's only caused more harm. She said she saw my point, and I hope she took it to heart.

As someone who struggled with depression for a large part of my life but who is mostly functioning well at this point, I can only hope that my journey serves as a model to my family for what's possible. It's hard when so much of my family is in another country and they don't intimately know what I've been through. But I try to be as candid about my struggles and my medication as possible to help combat this taboo, especially with my younger cousins.

I also need to remember that I can only try my best and there's only so much I can do. I get so frustrated with the cultural mentality that family is everything, and yet I still feel responsible for everyone.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
Thanks for the thread.

I suffer from anxiety and depression for over a decade and I've done therapy w/medications for approx since my late teens to now. There's definite moments where I felt isolated since all my friends are online and I didn't want to bother them. I feel like what helped was finding a hobby to occupy my free time whether it was organizing pics or reading books. I have low energy so when ppl recc'd going and joining a club/activity I feel awk since it usually means I'll be completely drained for the rest of the day.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Mental health has been struggling lately, but primarily because I can't stand my job and I'm burnt out beyond belief. That said, definitely going to talk with someone about it and look for some alternatives.

OP
OP
Wandering Robot
Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
Extremely well written and resourceful. The vibe is good too. 👍
Wonderful thread OP, thank you for making it!
excellent thread. thanks for this
Thank you! 😊
Thank you! Just trying to get through every day. :)

It's something I wanna do when I'm more financially secure. I turn 26 next year and will be knocked off my mom's health insurance, so I got to figure that out first.
Well, you're doing a great job of it! Good luck with getting to a more comfortable place, too. Going about seeking medical help in general without insurance is...stress-inducing, to say the least.

Thanks for the thread.

I suffer from anxiety and depression for over a decade and I've done therapy w/medications for approx since my late teens to now. There's definite moments where I felt isolated since all my friends are online and I didn't want to bother them. I feel like what helped was finding a hobby to occupy my free time whether it was organizing pics or reading books. I have low energy so when ppl recc'd going and joining a club/activity I feel awk since it usually means I'll be completely drained for the rest of the day.
Thanks for sharing with us. :) Not wanting to bother people + feeling drained after outside contact has got to be a mess (and not something I'm totally unfamiliar with), but I'm glad you have help and medication along with hobbies to keep yourself grounded. Hopefully the day-to-day stuff is manageable.
And reading. Reading is honestly wonderful.
Thank you for creating this thread I grew up in a small town in Norway and I wrote a thread her earlier were I just shared some thoughts I am also a mixed kid in a small town in Norway which has not been easy.

I buried my feeling of loneliness for years but a few months ago they just resurfaced and I was shaking and sweating and broke down crying and finally decided to talk somebody and I realized I have been lonely for five years hardly speaking to anyone.

But then I decided to call my half-sister and tell her what life has been for me (which was not easy) and her immediate response was you are flying down here now and staying with me in the summer, I am going tomorrow she had no idea I was struggeling so much as I had because I never said anything.

I went to a shrink in my town and the first one I did not get along with but another shrink a woman in her 40's who I immediatly clicked with, understood and actually showed empathy and she said if you are gonna live here you can't remain alone all the time and I will do my damndest to help you.

She said to go your half-sister and have a good time in the capitol and when you come back I wanna keep up the conversations with you I wanna help you she said and she meant it ....

I have not had anyone actually talk to like that in a while who I felt actually gave a damn.
That's so nice. :( I'm also mixed-race and fortunate to come from a place where people like us are not TOTALLY uncommon (New Orleans), but I still don't tend to really feel seen. I can't imagine what's that like in a place as predominantly white as Norway. I'm so glad you found love and help. Enjoy your trip.
I feel at home in this thread. I'm Hispanic LGBTQ, my life is full of tragedy like my father being incarcerated when I was little and my family fleeing Colombia during the 90s. And my mom being attacked by her coworkers because she was a woman and nearly killed (put in a coma). Things that happen to minorities. I'm writing a memoir about my life and just talking about it publicly here is making my throat jump. It triggered immense depression and anxiety growing up, which only multiplied when I had to "come out" in Texas and lose most of my friends and family because I love a man. Life is hard, and it's harder for those of us that suffer from mental health issues. I have to take 5 antidepressants and see a trauma therapist 2x a week just to function, let alone thrive in my PhD program.

I'm such an advocate for mental healthcare, I wish everyone had a therapist to learn from, and I wish more people were accepting to psychiatric medication. It saved my life
That sounds absolutely awful. I'm sorry.
I'm glad you're here with us, though, and thank you for sharing. In spite of everything, you're taking long strides towards recovering (while excelling at PhD courses!), and I think that deserves commendation. You're crushing it.
I really do wish everyone had access to therapy/meds, too, and it's not like there aren't a wide variety available nowadays. You wouldn't hear people scoff at taking aspirin for heart problems, as the adage goes 😕
Thank you so much for the thread and for the kind shout out.

I looked through your link about Latinx and this stood out as it's something my mom said to me literally two days ago:

My family has had so many issues related to mental health and trauma, and those things just keep compounding. These past two weeks, it's all reached a boiling point. I've been trying so hard to encourage everyone get help and to get help myself. And in doing that, one of my mom's reactions was to tell me this fucking saying. I told her that I didn't agree with it at all. That it has been a way to cover up abuse and harm. That this way of thinking hasn't helped us or anyone: it's only caused more harm. She said she saw my point, and I hope she took it to heart.

As someone who struggled with depression for a large part of my life but who is mostly functioning well at this point, I can only hope that my journey serves as a model to my family for what's possible. It's hard when so much of my family is in another country and they don't intimately know what I've been through. But I try to be as candid about my struggles and my medication as possible to help combat this taboo, especially with my younger cousins.

I also need to remember that I can only try my best and there's only so much I can do. I get so frustrated with the cultural mentality that family is everything, and yet I still feel responsible for everyone.
Thank you for putting those resources together! That's how I learned about the Disaster Helpline. :)
I'm not Latinx myself, but there is a similar strain of thought in this part of the state, as well as my family. It's especially ironic because my grandfather has had schizophrenia for most of my life. I'm glad your mom saw reason, at least, because I've seen it repeated that mental illness is a "don't talk about that" or "it's not that serious" sort of topic. The "family is everything" belief is, as far as I'm concerned, toxic.
Thanks for being open about it, too. I think you're doing well to tell the younger people in your life alone. The ones I know are more receptive (and, sadly, have personal experience with mental illness), so maybe things are getting better?
Mental health has been struggling lately, but primarily because I can't stand my job and I'm burnt out beyond belief. That said, definitely going to talk with someone about it and look for some alternatives.
I'm sorry to hear that. I seriously hope you have time for self-care. Burnout is so damn draining. Good on you for seeking help—I hope you find your match quickly and easily.

...I'm sure this is kOoKy AnD qUiRkY, but sometimes I like to play video games to chill out 🤫

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you! 😊

Well, you're doing a great job of it! Good luck with getting to a more comfortable place, too. Going about seeking medical help in general without insurance is...stress-inducing, to say the least.

Thanks for sharing with us. :) Not wanting to bother people + feeling drained after outside contact has got to be a mess (and not something I'm totally unfamiliar with), but I'm glad you have help and medication along with hobbies to keep yourself grounded. Hopefully the day-to-day stuff is manageable.
And reading. Reading is honestly wonderful.

That's so nice. :( I'm also mixed-race and fortunate to come from a place where people like us are not TOTALLY uncommon (New Orleans), but I still don't tend to really feel seen. I can't imagine what's that like in a place as predominantly white as Norway. I'm so glad you found love and help. Enjoy your trip.

That sounds absolutely awful. I'm sorry.
I'm glad you're here with us, though, and thank you for sharing. In spite of everything, you're taking long strides towards recovering (while excelling at PhD courses!), and I think that deserves commendation. You're crushing it.
I really do wish everyone had access to therapy/meds, too, and it's not like there aren't a wide variety available nowadays. You wouldn't hear people scoff at taking aspirin for heart problems, as the adage goes 😕

Thank you for putting those resources together! That's how I learned about the Disaster Helpline. :)
I'm not Latinx myself, but there is a similar strain of thought in this part of the state, as well as my family. It's especially ironic because my grandfather has had schizophrenia for most of my life. I'm glad your mom saw reason, at least, because I've seen it repeated that mental illness is a "don't talk about that" or "it's not that serious" sort of topic. The "family is everything" belief is, as far as I'm concerned, toxic.
Thanks for being open about it, too. I think you're doing well to tell the younger people in your life alone. The ones I know are more receptive (and, sadly, have personal experience with mental illness), so maybe things are getting better?

I'm sorry to hear that. I seriously hope you have time for self-care. Burnout is so damn draining. Good on you for seeking help—I hope you find your match quickly and easily.

...I'm sure this is kOoKy AnD qUiRkY, but sometimes I like to play video games to chill out 🤫
Definitely play games to relax and engage in gardening and taking care of my bettas as well. I think it's time for a new job personally. I had actually planned to move on in May and start applying, but corona kind of put a dent into that. Just sick of corporate work atm. Thanks for your kind words though. I'm lucky enough to have a supportive wife too.

OP
OP
Wandering Robot
Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
Definitely play games to relax and engage in gardening and taking care of my bettas as well. I think it's time for a new job personally. I had actually planned to move on in May and start applying, but corona kind of put a dent into that. Just sick of corporate work atm. Thanks for your kind words though. I'm lucky enough to have a supportive wife too.
You're welcome. Definitely sounds like time for a change, and I probably don't only speak for myself when I say COVID-19 messed up a lot.
That and hearing people have supportive partners/spouses does make me smile. :) I hope y'all stay safe.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
What a timely thread, I feel like my mental health is about to go off a cliff after spending the last year working hard to get where I am.

For the past three years, I've been applying for jobs after my MBA with no success. Either my resume is not good enough or my nationality gets in the way. In my home country, I'm over qualified.

Right now, I teach English in Japan....but my income has dropped due to it being variable (no online classes).

Got rejected from a big company I was courting and got references for. Just one interview and I'm not senior enough. Why interview me?

Got another rejection a few minutes ago, croma company where I ticked all the boxes and then some. Plus highly specialized knoelege about Southern Africa.

I'm going to try to sleep it off...but the feeling of dejection is getting to me.

OP
OP
Wandering Robot
Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
Not so Fun fact First Nation/Native Americans have some of the highest rates of suicide ,alcoholism ,and depression

theconversation.com

Why are we losing so many Indigenous children to suicide?

Poverty and social exclusion play a big role in Indigenous child suicide. The causes are complex but we know enough to act now to reduce the number of deaths in our communities.
I came across this factoid while compiling sources, and yeah, this is horrible to read. Our native/indigenous neighbors deserve so much better.
What a timely thread, I feel like my mental health is about to go off a cliff after spending the last year working hard to get where I am.

For the past three years, I've been applying for jobs after my MBA with no success. Either my resume is not good enough or my nationality gets in the way. In my home country, I'm over qualified.

Right now, I teach English in Japan....but my income has dropped due to it being variable (no online classes).

Got rejected from a big company I was courting and got references for. Just one interview and I'm not senior enough. Why interview me?

Got another rejection a few minutes ago, croma company where I ticked all the boxes and then some. Plus highly specialized knoelege about Southern Africa.

I'm going to try to sleep it off...but the feeling of dejection is getting to me.
I'm sorry! I read elsewhere about expecting maybe 1 out of every 10 interviews to get a hit, and it sounds like you've run into way worse experience. :(
I'm absolutely no authority on job application statistics or methods, but honestly, have you considered taking a break for a little while?
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
That or you don't haven't found an employer that appreciates your fine skills. I really hope you find something better soon.

Unobtrusive way to signal boost
OP
OP
Wandering Robot
Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
Oh, hey, if anyone's interested in spreading the word further, an easy way to do it is planting a green ribbon in your avatar, or dyeing it green (like I have). This is the official color of mental health awareness, though you could also plop a little semicolon there instead. It's a mental health/suicide prevention initiative; here's more about it.
There's also teal and purple for suicide awareness, if that hits closer to home.

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, hey, if anyone's interested in spreading the word further, an easy way to do it is planting a green ribbon in your avatar, or dyeing it green (like I have). This is the official color of mental health awareness, though you could also plop a little semicolon there instead. It's a mental health/suicide prevention initiative; here's more about it.
There's also teal and purple for suicide awareness, if that hits closer to home.
What does the green ribbon look like?

Konradleijon

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
I'm not a minority, but I think I'd have trouble working in the job market. I have ADHD and Autism and can barely get through a hour long class.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
I'm absolutely no authority on job application statistics or methods, but honestly, have you considered taking a break for a little while?
[Hidden content]
That or you don't haven't found an employer that appreciates your fine skills. I really hope you find something better soon.

I did try to take a break. Got an English teaching job in Tokyo....and now the company is downsizing 😭 I'm not at risk, yet.

Will use the ribbon as soon as I can.

OP
OP
Wandering Robot
Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
No problem. :) I'll have to fit one alongside mine for the full glamour.
I'm not a minority, but I think I'd have trouble working in the job market. I have ADHD and Autism and can barely get through a hour long class.
But you ARE getting through classes, yeah? No shame here—you're making it happen consistently, and that's no small feat. 😀 Yeah, the job market was bad enough before COVID-19 hit, and hopefully things improve as the lot of us move forward.
I did try to take a break. Got an English teaching job in Tokyo....and now the company is downsizing 😭 I'm not at risk, yet.

Will use the ribbon as soon as I can.
Aw, the teaching was supposed to be the relief? What a time to get hit with corporate "changes." I'm glad you're stable for now, though. Hopefully the prospects open up over there.
(And commendations, really, because I couldn't be a teacher lmao)

Konradleijon

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
No problem. :) I'll have to fit one alongside mine for the full glamour.

But you ARE getting through classes, yeah? No shame here—you're making it happen consistently, and that's no small feat. 😀 Yeah, the job market was bad enough before COVID-19 hit, and hopefully things improve as the lot of us move forward.

Aw, the teaching was supposed to be the relief? What a time to get hit with corporate "changes." I'm glad you're stable for now, though. Hopefully the prospects open up over there.
(And commendations, really, because I couldn't be a teacher lmao)
Thanks. It's hard going to school.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the thread. I'm currently dealing with my Mother who has psychosis but won't take her medication. We admitted her three times to the hospital and it's always a pain for our whole family seeing her go. They had shots that she would take for every two weeks then once a month but now she doesn't even want to do that. Does anyone have any suggestions?